Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 retains Stingray name

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I would assume the Corvette team has been working on the C8 specifically since the release of the C7 in 2014. The eventual mid-engine even before that... since the C7 might have been mid-engine if it wasn't for the recession of 2008.

In 2015 they trademarked 'Corvette E-Ray' and 'E-Ray'. To me, that means they had semi-solid plans to run with the stingray name in the future. Solid enough to file a trademark.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/12/...e-e-ray-e-ray/

My information source was spot on with what we have seen so far. I am thinking three platforms and a final hybrid platform that is very NSX like.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
The year is 2023, the ME C8 is it it's 4th year of production. Skank is still feverishly posting about the FE car just around the corner.
Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
If the car ever has AWD it will be separate electric front drive. Center tunel is for coolant and for driver storage.
Just have to look at a ME Ferrari! No way you are going to have the wide a center console as needed in the C7 to allow a torque tube tunnel! That is where you gain valuable interior space!

As you say. and Andy Pilgrim, an insider,intentionally leaked, the 4 WD add-on will be electric! IMO will be a sort duration, light weight hybrid. Similar in weight to the 141 hp F1 KERS Alfa announced incoming for the 2019, already 505 hp,, 2.9 Liter, double overhead cam, twin turbo V6 you can order tomorrow.

That is why I thought the two speed electric drive that can be used for the front wheels was an interesting possibility. It's already in test in several cars in Europe. The two speed trans that can perhaps double the torque at low speeds. It also has the ability to control each wheel electronically like the rear C7 eLSD! Could make a great handling 4WD coning out of a corner!

Just Sayn' IF they will continue with a C7 for a short time NO NEED to have the same interior panel! The large rear tub in the C7 can't work and as I expect would any other pieces. What was the speculation? Only one piece would be the same in the C8 as the C7.

As I have speculated Mary Barra wanted to anounce at least a more modern engine and that a light weight high performance hybrid is coming soon! How embarising to close US assembly plants and anounce the C8 with the same pushrod LT1 6.2 Liter engine when Alfa has a 505 hp 2.9 Liter 505 hp engine that is in a 4 door Sports Sedan. In addition Alfa announced they are adding a 141 hp electric KERS system that will also recover braking energy.

SIDE BAR
I have speculated in jest that one reason for the long C8 delay is Mary Barra has told the Corvette managers, "No way we are going to announce a new ME Corvette with a pushrod 6.2 Liter V8 when Alfa has a 2.9 Liter V6 in their 4 door sports sedan with 505 hp that they already announced will have an extra 141 electric KERS option for 645 hp AND will save some of the 1/3 of the energy that gets to the wheels to power the car that is just wasted braking! At least intoduce the Blackwing we're building in Bowling Green and tell the folks what we already let Andy Pilgrim leak that we will have something even better! Our electric light weight hybrid will power the front wheels, save wasted braking energy and like Alfa just say to be available soon! Do I have to do the marketing as well!"

"You folks are as bad as Ford Marketing who let the Ford GT announce it had 647 hp! At least they could have told the enginners to make another dyno run and find 3 more horses!"

Yep the above is in jest but when working, as VP Marketing my old boss the CEO, would have said that to me in not so nice words! Like Marry Barra he was an engineer by training and knew enough to make those types of statements!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-09-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:08 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Alfa and Fiat has Ferrari engineering muscle to fall back on...just saying...
Old 03-09-2019, 06:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^
Germany is also working on more efficient systems and EVs. Won't take China long to copy or innovated more energy efficient systems!

Can't stand still with old technology.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-09-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:58 AM
vetteguynj
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
I would assume the Corvette team has been working on the C8 specifically since the release of the C7 in 2014. The eventual mid-engine even before that... since the C7 might have been mid-engine if it wasn't for the recession of 2008.

In 2015 they trademarked 'Corvette E-Ray' and 'E-Ray'. To me, that means they had semi-solid plans to run with the stingray name in the future. Solid enough to file a trademark.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/12/...e-e-ray-e-ray/

My information source was spot on with what we have seen so far. I am thinking three platforms and a final hybrid platform that is very NSX like.
If they ever make an electric version it should be called the e-EEL
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:05 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
They won't abandon "ZR1"

I highly doubt Zora is not going to be an official nameplate. It would be a nice tribute to the man, but Zora in and of itself is a stupid sounding model name for a car and very few people will even know who that is. His name does not carry the same prominence as a Carrol Shelby type.
Koenigsegg just name their newest, fastest, and most sophisticated car EVER, the Jesko after Christian K's father...

Names don't matter to those willing to pay for this level of supercar.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by zr_kaizen
I mean, I just parked and here’s a pic of my C7. Pretty much the same.

Been pretty much the same for the last 3 generations.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

The new C8 will move Corvette into super car territory and that for some will not be a good thing. Some of the creature comforts Corvette owners are accustomed to may disappear to bring the car to the next level of performance. Time will tell but I think some will be disappointed with with the changes required to bring the car to the next level.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

At the upper levels, it will probably be in supercar territory, but the base will just be an incremental improvement over the current C7 base. That's the way it always goes. However, the same creature comforts seen in the C7 will be in the ME with perhaps some additions like lane departure etc. It would be too risky not to do so, and all the street supercars have them too.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-10-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:50 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Mid engine and more HP

I am thinking going from base FE to a all new mid engine car architecture with increased HP, better 0-60 times and better braking, feels more than just incremental!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by faninc
I am thinking going from base FE to a all new mid engine car architecture with increased HP, better 0-60 times and better braking, feels more than just incremental!
How much better 0-60 times than the base C7 would you like?
How much better braking than the base C7 (convertible) would you like?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Devil
The new C8 will move Corvette into super car territory and that for some will not be a good thing. Some of the creature comforts Corvette owners are accustomed to may disappear to bring the car to the next level of performance. Time will tell but I think some will be disappointed with with the changes required to bring the car to the next level.
The C7 is already a street super car. The C8 will just be more of a cornering street super car.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Just as the C7 Stingray Z51 nearly closed the gap with the C6 Z06, the base ME will probably do much the same. That's incremental improvement. And just as with the C6 and C7 generations, the "supercar" versions will come later with a much higher price tag.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-10-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 PM
faninc
Drifting

Default Tell GM to stop,it’s only incremental! Lol

Clearly GM knows that it cannot make anymore “incremental changes” and still stay as competitive as they were able to with the FE. At some point physics wins out, guess what- it is that time. Does anyone think GM prefers to do midengine just for kicks? They have stretched every engineering feat they could into the ZR1 and no more room at the “FE” Inn! The current FE car cannot accomadate any more HP sanely. For those who have driven a mid engine car with any decent HP, they would not say this change is incremental. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. Keep in mind, the base car will be incrementally more money... so a win win for all. Base will price at under $70k, bank on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by faninc:
JerryU (03-11-2019), Red67John (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:24 PM
faninc
Drifting

Default GM knows why...ME became end of incremental change.

1. Increased Stability – Stability in any vehicle is always a concern to the design team. This is an even greater consideration when it comes to designing sports cars. Situating the engine in the middle of the vehicle helps ensure that the car’s weight is evenly distributed. This is accomplished by placing the vehicle’s heaviest component – the engine – as close to its center as possible.
  2. Improved Traction – With the mid-engine location, more weight is placed over the rear tires. This, in turn, gives them more traction while also helping to decrease the chances of the vehicle going into a skid while braking. The vehicle’s anti-lock braking system (ABS) works more efficiently and makes the vehicle stop more quickly and responsively.
  3. Superior Handling – With the car’s weight nearly evenly balanced between its front and rear axles due to the placement of the engine midway between them.
  4. More Comfortable Ride – While most people first envision sports cars to be quick and easy to handle as they zip around precarious curves – all of which is possible due to their mid-engine design — today’s drivers of these vehicles want more. Sports cars are also equated with a certain level of luxury.

With the mid-engine design, a much smoother ride is possible. The weight of the car is distributed evenly so the suspension is more effective at absorbing the bumps and imperfections on the Road.

Knowing the numerous advantages of a mid-engine placement makes it easy to understand why manufacturers prefer this design when producing sports cars. Or they can stay FE with incremental changes?
The following 2 users liked this post by faninc:
elegant (03-11-2019), JerryU (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

This is not much of a surprise to me. As other have said here, and on other posts, the C8 would likely come out as the base model first (like the C7), followed by more advanced versions, possibly GS, Z06 and ZR1 or new variants entirely.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

I’m not sure the Corvette will ever be a “supercar,” but that depends on what ones definition of a contemporary supercar is. My interpretation is something like the 488 or a McLaren, usually something wild and crazy fast, but overly expensive. The Corvette is, and always willl be, a super car to a lot of different buyers: super daily driver, super track car, and super GT car. That is why GM offers it in various iterations. And, it will always be one hell of a super value.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 retains Stingray name

Old 03-11-2019, 09:41 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by faninc
Clearly GM knows that it cannot make anymore “incremental changes” and still stay as competitive as they were able to with the FE. At some point physics wins out, guess what- it is that time. Does anyone think GM prefers to do midengine just for kicks? They have stretched every engineering feat they could into the ZR1 and no more room at the “FE” Inn! The current FE car cannot accomadate any more HP sanely. For those who have driven a mid engine car with any decent HP, they would not say this change is incremental. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. Keep in mind, the base car will be incrementally more money... so a win win for all. Base will price at under $70k, bank on it.
LOL, by incremental change, I'm just guessing the performance numbers are not going to be shockingly better on the base model, but will be incrementally better. Yes, it's far more than just an incremental design change, and it will provide an ideal platform for surpassing the ZR1.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:19 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerv02
Stingray dies with the C7.
insider intel
Old 07-28-2019, 07:36 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL, by incremental change, I'm just guessing the performance numbers are not going to be shockingly better on the base model, but will be incrementally better. Yes, it's far more than just an incremental design change, and it will provide an ideal platform for surpassing the ZR1.
I think the reveal shocked everyone with the $60k plus cost of Z51 for 0-60 in under 3 seconds for the base C8 Z51 which is shockingly better than 0-60 around 4 seconds for the base C7 Z51.

Last edited by fumbling; 07-28-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: C8 retains Stingray name