Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable top with a C8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:39 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Well first you need to define the use of "stiffness" since torsional stiffness is not the same as bending stiffness.

Plus - if torsional stiffness mattered why does the vette handle so well.
It is not a matter of whether or not the Vette handles well, but rather under what conditions does the handling start to fall apart. It's a matter of what compromises were made to the suspension to accommodate the low torsional stiffness.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-13-2019 at 02:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:44 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thirtythird
What we have here is a straw man.
What we have here is someone who just went on my Ignore List. It's fine to disagree, and present your viewpoint. Name calling is out.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-13-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:17 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I'm going with the hatchback C7, vs The Titanic for safety purposes.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Michael A
No, it's not stupid at all. It's one you don't want to think about.
It is a stupid question and I have thought about it. The side airbag that's part of today's Corvettes is more than adequate to protect someone's head during a T-bone collision. You're already sitting low enough in the seat to begin with; when the side bag explodes, it'll provide ample padding for the occupant in that seat.

I'm sure C8 will have similar side-impact bags integrated in the same spot. Your concerns are not based on reality nor are they based on any knowledge of automotive engineering.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

What we have here is someone who just went on my Ignore List. It's fine to disagree, and present your viewpoint. Name calling is out.
I don't see his comment as "name calling". I took his statement as referring to a straw man argument.

Many many moons ago, my then girlfriend (now wife) was riding shotgun while I was driving a friend's 88 vette that I was working on. The exact scenario you described happened, someone ran a stop sign (a HUGE oversized one at that) and t-boned us, right in her door. It sent us from the left lane, over a median, then through 3 lanes of traffic going the opposite direction until we came to a stop in the right turn lane ironically facing the correct direction. The car that hit us (a Firebird or Trans Am) was completely destroyed, the front bumper was literally against the firewall. My then girlfriend's only injury was from some of the glass from the window when it exploded and landed in her shirt, she got a couple of little scratches from them, and one on her knee as I helped her crawl across the car to get out the driver's side. We were both of course a little sore from the impact and the flying/spinning through the air/etc.

Does that prove that head airbags are not helpful? Of course not.

Using someone else's example, if the Firebird had been a lifted truck/SUV, it's doubtful a head airbag would have saved her. Again, same statement, that does not prove they are or are not helpful.

That's why the example given was called a straw man.

Last edited by vndkshn; 03-13-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Please be specific on which current Ferrari non-Spyder does not have head air bags.
Why are you limiting the options to non-Spyder cars? The Corvette has a removable top and so does a Spyder. Why is that not a fair comparison?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe they were claiming your argument was a straw man, not name calling. https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...rawman-Fallacy

Last edited by Randy Miller; 03-13-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Well first you need to define the use of "stiffness" since torsional stiffness is not the same as bending stiffness.

Plus - if torsional stiffness mattered why does the vette handle so well.
It doesn't handle well relative to more rigid sports cars.

Camaro > Corvette in regards to handling. That's why I'm waiting for the C8. :P
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,149 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Camaro > Corvette in regards to handling. That's why I'm waiting for the C8. :P
Yeah no.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:37 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Yeah no.
Admittedly, I'm biased since I just picked up a 2SS to play with while I wait on the C8. When I test drove the C7 I felt the steering had less road feel than the Camaro's. Of course on paper the Corvette has slightly better numbers, nobody can argue that it doesn't.

Funny thing, I thought the Camaro's back seat would be an advantage since my best friend would be able to go on rides with me. Yesterday I took her for a spin and ended up with dog vomit in the back. D'oh! Dogs and sports cars do not mix!
RapidC84B (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:01 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,149 Likes on 5,983 Posts

The Alpha platform is very good, but the perimeter frame with SLA suspension on the Vette is superior in every way.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:28 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Does the Camaro have electric power steering? I wonder if that is where part of that road feel difference is coming from? Could also be the wider tires on the Corvette?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Corvette c7 has world class torsional rigidity.

to those suggesting it doesnt please present those facts.

the c6 targas had superior torsional rigidity as well. C7 s have 57 percent greater torsional rigidity compared to the hydroformed steel c6 .chassis as well as being 99 lbs lighter at the same time, thats world class as was the c6 targa.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/01/...ette-stingray/

the c7 had an improvement in torsional rigidity compared to the already world class c6 targa.

you are welcome to go over the torsional rigidity of both the c6 targa and the c7 targa.

the automotive press as well as tadge Juncter posted data on the corvette chassis rigidity.

please feel free to research this and present your findings.

corvettes literally have world class torsional rigidity.

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

So let me ask you something, Jerri. If your son or daughter, or wife was a passenger in your Corvette, and a car ran a red light, hit your Corvette broadside on the passenger side, resulting in severe brain injury to your son, daughter or wife, that could have been prevented with side head bags, is that Targa top still worth it?
Or if she had been sitting in a sedan with side head bags and had severe brain injury that could been prevented by being in a big Cadillac with similar bags, would the sedan be worth it? Or sitting in the big Cadillac and brain damaged but that would have been prevented by a monster SUV, would the Cadillac be worth it? Or wearing a helmet? Etc.

When we don't know in advance what accident (if any) will happen; safety is a continuum, not a yes or no situation. Everyone gets to decide what's the optimum tradeoff for them and theirs. Me, I avoid motorcycles and am slightly leery of convertibles because I sometimes track my Corvette. That's good enough for me. You get to make your own choices, and I think Jerri's choices are reasonable. Your attitude toward his choices, not so much.

BTW, you do know that the C6 and C7 can have side head bags? Perhaps not as effective as in a sedan, but I have not seen any data to support that.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
It is a stupid question and I have thought about it. The side airbag that's part of today's Corvettes is more than adequate to protect someone's head during a T-bone collision. You're already sitting low enough in the seat to begin with; when the side bag explodes, it'll provide ample padding for the occupant in that seat.

I'm sure C8 will have similar side-impact bags integrated in the same spot. Your concerns are not based on reality nor are they based on any knowledge of automotive engineering.
Thanks for the fake news.

Go ahead and tell NHTSA, IIHS and every automaker on the planet that they are wasting their time and money on side curtain airbags.
Mikec7z (03-21-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:56 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Or if she had been sitting in a sedan with side head bags and had severe brain injury that could been prevented by being in a big Cadillac with similar bags, would the sedan be worth it? Or sitting in the big Cadillac and brain damaged but that would have been prevented by a monster SUV, would the Cadillac be worth it? Or wearing a helmet? Etc.

When we don't know in advance what accident (if any) will happen; safety is a continuum, not a yes or no situation. Everyone gets to decide what's the optimum tradeoff for them and theirs. Me, I avoid motorcycles and am slightly leery of convertibles because I sometimes track my Corvette. That's good enough for me. You get to make your own choices, and I think Jerri's choices are reasonable. Your attitude toward his choices, not so much.

BTW, you do know that the C6 and C7 can have side head bags? Perhaps not as effective as in a sedan, but I have not seen any data to support that.
People are confusing side head bags with side torso bags. They are two different things. The C6 and C7 do not have side head bags.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-15-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:58 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Corvette c7 has world class torsional rigidity.

to those suggesting it doesnt please present those facts.

the c6 targas had superior torsional rigidity as well. C7 s have 57 percent greater torsional rigidity compared to the hydroformed steel c6 .chassis as well as being 99 lbs lighter at the same time, thats world class as was the c6 targa.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/01/...ette-stingray/

the c7 had an improvement in torsional rigidity compared to the already world class c6 targa.

you are welcome to go over the torsional rigidity of both the c6 targa and the c7 targa.

the automotive press as well as tadge Juncter posted data on the corvette chassis rigidity.

please feel free to research this and present your findings.

corvettes literally have world class torsional rigidity.
Jerri, take a look at the chart earlier in this thread. The Corvette is not exactly leading the pack for torsional rigidity. It doesn't matter if it was more rigid than before. It wasn't that rigid to begin with.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-14-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Removable top with a C8?

Old 03-15-2019, 12:19 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Why does everyone think rigid is better
Old 03-15-2019, 12:20 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

No, it's not stupid at all. It's one you don't want to think about. A $15K Toyota Yaris has head air bags, but a $60K+ Corvette doesn't. That's just plain stupid.
Your posts on this topic are both ignorant and crass. Please go buckle you and yours into your Versa or Yaris, whichever it is that you have parked in you ‘50%’s fallout shelter, and let this go.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red67John
Your posts on this topic are both ignorant and crass. Please go buckle you and yours into your Versa or Yaris, whichever it is that you have parked in you ‘50%’s fallout shelter, and let this go.
Congratulations! You are now on my forum Ignore List. I suggest others do the same.

Don't bother responding. I won't see it.
Mikec7z (03-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Removable top with a C8?