Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ME>three engineering issue being sorted out....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default ME>three engineering issue being sorted out....?

As Reported by Hagerty
Full Read Here
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...corvette-delay

First, all GM products are shifting to a new electrical architecture—the means by which 100 or more computer modules per vehicle communicate on what’s called a CAN (computer area network) bus. Engineers are having difficulty working the bugs out of the new Global B party line serving Corvette and several other new models.

The second issue is a structural distortion of the aluminum spaceframe experienced during testing a prototype equipped with the 900-1000 horsepower twin-turbo V-8. The twist in back was enough to fracture the glass hatch covering the engine.

Item three is some unspecified bone of contention between those who design Corvettes and the development engineers who steer them to the far corners of the performance envelope. It could be a visibility issue, some ergonomic shortcoming, or a cockpit design problem.
The following 6 users liked this post by 69:
dcbingaman (03-12-2019), elegant (03-10-2019), grea81 (03-10-2019), Mikec7z (03-10-2019), ShagVette (03-09-2019), tooold2race (03-11-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Newdude
Pro

Received 492 Likes on 244 Posts

GM Global B eh? First I've heard of that.

I think that Corvette would be the first of any new electronic architecture? Everything right now I'm pretty sure is still GM Global A architecture. I think even the new Silverado is Global A. I could be wrong however.

Anyone know what Global B is on if anything? I would hope that if they were smart, they'd have launched it on a high volume car to figure out the bugs and not a low volume high dollar sports car.

edit: Cars on Global A: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11221

Sounds like Corvette might be the first. Article on Global B from 2015: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...0P42UY20150624

Interestingly enough, the new Chevrolet Infotainment 3 has a taste of this as the new radios have over the air updates. Global B however sounds like its over the air compatibility for ALL modules within the vehicle, not just the radio. Think like Tesla.

Last edited by Newdude; 03-09-2019 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 04:03 PM
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

The second issue is a structural distortion of the aluminum spaceframe experienced during testing a prototype equipped with the 900-1000 horsepower twin-turbo V-8. The twist in back was enough to fracture the glass hatch covering the engine.
I heard this as well.

Item three is some unspecified bone of contention between those who design Corvettes and the development engineers who steer them to the far corners of the performance envelope. It could be a visibility issue, some ergonomic shortcoming, or a cockpit design problem.
Visibility is terrible because the large B-pillar / sail-panel / buttresses.
Mikec7z (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 04:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I find it hard to believe that design can't improve on visibility around the car without cameras, instead of making it progressively worse.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:38 PM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

"Anyone know what Global B is on if anything? I would hope that if they were smart, they'd have launched it on a high volume car to figure out the bugs and not a low volume high dollar sports car"

I would think that they would try it out on a low volume car that gets use as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle. If they have to recall all trucks it would be expensive. A few corvettes, no big deal.

Last edited by carnutsx2; 03-09-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Quote
MsEllie (03-12-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

On hybrid models, electrically driven front wheels will consume the (front) trunk space otherwise used to carry two sets of golf clubs in the base model.
Looks like the people that want a new golf cart will be thrilled.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:07 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 69
As Reported by Hagerty
Full Read Here

First, all GM products are shifting to a new electrical architecture—the means by which 100 or more computer modules per vehicle communicate on what’s called a CAN (computer area network) bus. Engineers are having difficulty working the bugs out of the new Global B party line serving Corvette and several other new models.

I wonder if they will have to switch to a magnesium alloy for the sub-frame like what was done with the C6 Z06/ZR1?
Old 03-09-2019, 05:22 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 69
As Reported by Hagerty
Full Read Here

Be still, my heart!
Old 03-09-2019, 06:28 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

If accurate... those things will take some time to work out and re-test. Not necessarily a good thing relative to how long we wait for the car.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:35 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

That’s some interesting, and very specific, info.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:50 PM
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

2 days ago Autoline interviewed Don Sherman.
At 26 minutes into the video, Don Sherman describes the 3 engineering delays.

RandomTask (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Nothing to see here, please move along.... People will still deny there is no delay, even with details like this.
Mikec7z (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Global B sounds like their over-the-air update system: http://www.autoconnectedcar.com/2015...-mobile-cloud/

Due to the nature of the OTA update system, much in the base levels of the network protocol has to be revamped to secure it. It wouldn't shock me to find out that the C8 is one of the first to use a new network architecture, or that if it is, some delays can be attributed to it.

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Nothing to see here, please move along.... People will still deny there is no delay, even with details like this.
And even with GM never announcing a timeline or even admitting what the program is, some are still insist something that doesn't even have a public timeline can be publicly delayed.

Last edited by jefnvk; 03-09-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
I wonder if they will have to switch to a magnesium alloy for the sub-frame like what was done with the C6 Z06/ZR1?
There's always sometyhing in the works that maybe useful

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-07989-y

Nanoparticle-enabled phase control for arc welding of unweldable aluminum alloy 7075

Old 03-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
And even with GM never announcing a timeline or even admitting what the program is, some are still insist something that doesn't even have a public timeline can be publicly delayed.
I have no doubt that there is some delay on the internal manufacturing schedule. I doubt that any car has ever been produced without some type of internal delay. But we are talking about a car that has not been acknowledged let alone been given an announcement or production date. If issues are serious enough it may not ever see the light of day. So, until it is acknowledged and a reveal date is announced then it is not delayed. Right now the camo cars we have seen may only be an engineering exercise.
jefnvk (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
I have no doubt that there is some delay on the internal manufacturing schedule. I doubt that any car has ever been produced without some type of internal delay. But we are talking about a car that has not been acknowledged let alone been given an announcement or production date. If issues are serious enough it may not ever see the light of day. So, until it is acknowledged and a reveal date is announced then it is not delayed. Right now the camo cars we have seen may only be an engineering exercise.
You don't build a fleet of integration vehicles, and send the cars and teams of engineers around the country and over to Germany for an 'exercise'.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 03-09-2019 at 08:11 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
ajgoyt (03-09-2019), Boiler_81 (03-09-2019), Red67John (03-10-2019), ShagVette (03-09-2019), ZishanM (03-12-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Of course they wouldn’t, but since the next gen Vette has not been acknowledged that is all we have. Or maybe what we are seeing is a new Buick sports car. But I will admit that what we are seeing will ultimately be the new Vette. We could be looking at a 2020 Vette, or maybe a ‘21 or a ‘22 or ?? We won’t know until it is acknowledged/announced.

Get notified of new replies

To ME>three engineering issue being sorted out....?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
B is cast magnesium.

Where do you suppose where the upper control arm is attached? What about all the different materials that are used in this chassis and what are the various methods of connecting them together?

Last edited by Shaka; 03-09-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Mikec7z (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 09:09 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Global B sounds like their over-the-air update system: http://www.autoconnectedcar.com/2015...-mobile-cloud/

Due to the nature of the OTA update system, much in the base levels of the network protocol has to be revamped to secure it. It wouldn't shock me to find out that the C8 is one of the first to use a new network architecture, or that if it is, some delays can be attributed to it.

Some people are ignorant to understand that every project has an estimated timeline/deadline, and won't accept that there are credible sources indicating not (only) one, two, but three issues.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:32 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Some people are ignorant to understand that every project has an estimated timeline/deadline, and won't accept that there are credible sources indicating not (only) one, two, but three issues.
And some won't accept that as since there has never been any public release of what this is and when it is due, there is no known delay. Furthermore, nearly everyone that has claimed there is no public delay will also qualify their response that there probably is a delay in the internal timeline, which is not known to any of us, and that the regular slippage of timelines on new products is exactly why GM won't commit to a public timeline and box themselves into a deadline they cannot meet.

Until GM has the C8 on their website with a big banner that says "Available Season YEAR" and we are past said season and year, to me there is no delay. Without a promised timeline, there can be no delay. Is there likely an internal delay? Heck yes, if it is anything like every program I've ever worked on, but that means nothing externally, because nothing has been promised.
ajgoyt (03-09-2019)

Quick Reply: ME>three engineering issue being sorted out....?