Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too bad the C8 doesn't have the Jesko transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Too bad? Not accounting for economies of scale, I'm sure that gearbox alone costs more than a few C8s.
So you must not have read the thread at all huh? The part about how the transmission can be made out of the same materials as GM makes their transmissions currently, but with less parts, less space taken up, and stronger gears, and superior capability of what the transmission can do as far as shifting vs auto or dct? you didn't see any of that?... there is no downside. No, they wont be more expensive than an entire c8 with a normal metal box.. they would be less than the c7 automatic transmission alone, since they have less moving parts and less gears.

Read the whole thread please.

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Sorry....Koenisgsegg's cars are one of the most over hyped kit cars on the market. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm not a huge fan of the exterior look of their cars. Now lets talk performance....if these are truly high end super cars, they should have some decent performance numbers. Doing a single top speed run or 0-60 mph is not indicative of what the car can do if pushed to do it multiple times, over and over. I doesn't need it to be the fastest car out there, but it should be able to compete with other cars in it's price range.....even if it could compete with cars costing 1/3 the price like Ferrrari's, Lambos and Porsches I could respect that. But what has this car done? Show mean a "decent" Ring time, a decent lap at Laguna Seca, etc? And can it do high performance for more than one lap without spitting it's guts? Without overheating? If the K cars were so good, you'd see launch videos like this one....I bet it couldn't do this 20 times in a row let alone 50 without turning into a platter of Swedish meatballs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

I dig all the crazy engineering stuff Mr. K keeps trying to put in his cars....but just because you can doesn't mean that it is going to be better, faster or more reliable than what is already proven to work. Hell, it took three comedians to figure out that the K-egg had dangerous aero (or lack of) and recommended a rear wing to make the car stable after the Stigs one and only wreck. So three goof ***** from Top Gear know what it takes to make a car stable at speed but Mr. K didn't think of that? Of course, after the wreck Mr K has installed wings on the rear for downforce and stability.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyau3VUVVtI

Reality check on boutique car makers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_OSR6JUsNE
As far as Stig goes, you do realize it is multiple people, which is why they have them wear the helmet? And they have crashed other cars or gone off the course in other cars, just not usually in that particular spot where there is something to hit.

Yeah, im not saying everyone should have a car made out of carbon fiber. Im saying normal cars need the following:
1. Freevalve technology
2. The simple transmission that is employed in the Jesko made out of normal metal and not carbon, and scaled down even SMALLER in size for cars NOT making 1600hp
3 His way of approaching hybrid ICE EV cars... and removing the transmission and clutch all together

4... all the other inventions and innovations he and his team have under their belts.

GM was in talks with him on partnering to put the freevalves on a GM model, and mass produce it. He and they did not work out a deal. Instead he did with a chinese company. I predicted that he would have other inventions that would cause GM to regret not being close with him... and not even a few months later, he reveals the jesko transmission.

So, the point of this thread is, I WISH GM teamed with him first instead of the chinese company, because he is only going to charge GM MORE and MORE for the technology the longer they wait. His first offer was his most generous percentage deal he is willing to give anyone. Moving forward, he will only get more harsh, as he establishes alliances, and his alliances will sell more and more cars the longer GM and anyone else does not utilize his technology, as they will better perform vs GM.

In his partnership/licensing/selling agreements, he will most certainly be held by the other party to an agreement such as:

"and koenigsegg agrees not to sell any of our competitors this device X for less money than konigsegg sells it to us here at Chinese company Y"

... and they can go so far as to spell out how much less they must pay than the rest of the market for being the ones to get him off the ground..

"...and koenigsegg agrees moving forward that whatever price they sell this device X to our competitors, they will then agree to sell it to us at chinese company for 5% less than the competitors agreed upon price."

or if it is a royalty percentage , the chinese company says that their percentage of payout to konigsegg will always be the lowest, and at lease 2% lower than any other competitor.

and that is a fair request for them to make, since they are the ones who are getting him launched. If he agrees to sell to GM for less, he has to then sell to the chinese company for even less than GM, as a result of such a contract.

GM passed on being his First and Lowest paying customer, they could have easily negotiated all of this, and given the guy what he wants, and been his friend, and even if the technology is not perfect, they could work with him to fix it and be the first to market with it.

And thats why i believe GM is not smart. Even if they would have signed an agreement at a high price or high percentage with him, GM could have implemented a clause such as the one I listed above, and GM could rest easy that no one would gain access to the technology at a lower price than they are, as they put it into contract. And it is a common sense fair request that can be made and agreed to. And at that point, if you are GM, you HOPE he works out better contracts with your competitors than what you are currently paying, because it is simply going to lower the price GM has to then pay for that item, as a result. Its a domino effect contract. Konigsegg would not be able to demand otherwise, its a fair request from GM... "if we help you get off the ground, you agree not to sell to our competitors for less, if you lower the price for them, you lower the price even more for us, but at the end of the day, you do what you want with the pricing, but know, we wil always pay the least of any other car company"

But i dont live on a planet with people smart enough to figure this stuff out on their own.. correction, people in china are smart enough... so lets rephrase that... I dont live in a country where people are smart enough to figure any of this out on their own. Its all profound and mysterious to them... even for the lawyers and shot callers at GM. Pretty sad.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-11-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:14 PM
bo_knows
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If Nikola Tesla was still alive, he could run this transmission in his mind via visualization and predict which part would fail.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Reality check on boutique car makers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_OSR6JUsNE
I just watched this guy... and he is clueless. Koenigseggs are very fast on tracks. They destroy every comparable car I can think of. He has zero idea what he is talking about. Sure, you cant FLOOR a 1300hp car exiting a curve, but the power still becomes handy at some point. Just like a zr1 vette. He is an idiot. If you ever get a chance to do some actual homework on how fast their newer cars make it around a track, please do so.

And, if im koenigsegg, im not going to volunteer one of my cars to this little worm either. Good lord. He has no clue how to drive, it is apparent.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:15 PM
AEK
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think this video was linked to in this thread -- this explains the tranny pretty well.

It's a non-obvious benefit (that they probably didn't expect when they started developing it) that with a 3-shaft design, you get reverse "almost for free". A very sensible design.

The following 2 users liked this post by AEK:
Mikec7z (03-11-2019), Shaka (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7pimp
The electronic valve system is an excellent piece of engineering. GM could have benefited greatly from investing in it.

It's fun to imagine what "could be" with a cam-less engine that is significantly more efficient and powerful.

I'd love to see a Corvette that can pump out 550 hp N/A and also get 35 to 40 mpg. Would be awesome to adjust just cam timing, valve action, etc and tunes with the push of a button in a more precise and programmed way than even the "M Drive" and other likenesses. Imagine having a smooth, purring mild engine tuned for maximum efficiency and manners, then at the push of a button you instantly have a big lopey fat cam sound with added power all tuned properly and precisely to accommodate for timing, travel, duration, etc, all done electronically. There are a ton of possibilities with that technology. Endless "cam profiles" all controlled electronically. Tune it for boost/nitrous, tune it for high-end N/A pull, low end torque. Even could tune it to switch between tuning profiles on-the-fly while driving or racing to maximize top-end speed/pull or torque and maximum corner exiting all-in one. There are some serious potentials there.
Exactly, you could have it ramp to a longer lope for higher HP as you get into higher RPM. The other thing is, you could literally sit on a dyno all day and test profile after profile, to see what ACTUALLY works the best with a specific blower and head and intake setup, etc.

So the days of having to pull an engine to install a cam, and then hope that you have the best one for your build, are over.

These heads will be sold aftermarket, and they will be put on vettes by us. GM is so dumb. So so dumb. As soon as 1 major player teams with him, its over, everyone else will be begging for them too, and he will ask the moon, or he will watch that manufacturer fall into the dark ages. He's won.

And in the meantime, if im a manufacturer, or even an upgrade shop, im going to buy these heads for a test engine that is on an engine dyno, and im going to sit there and play with "mock cam profiles", that are doable for a cam lobe (round instead of square) and then once i figure out a pattern/combination I like, I am going to sell that physical old school cam shaft for the people who still have normal old school cams, and put that new cam, up against my competitor's cam profiles, and put up a youtube video of what power each produces, and I can do it all with these freevalves, on the fly, in real time testing... first 10 sec of the video is my competitors cam, next 10 sec the next cam, last 10 sec my cam.

I bet I then sell a lot of cams

Originally Posted by AEK
I don't think this video was linked to in this thread -- this explains the tranny pretty well.

It's a non-obvious benefit (that they probably didn't expect when they started developing it) that with a 3-shaft design, you get reverse "almost for free". A very sensible design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qGUxCZh8HQ
Great find, thank you for posting. At first I was like "and if you need to pull a boat, just put your koenigsegg in reverse... because the gears are large enough" but then he explained a bit more

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-11-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
I just watched this guy... and he is clueless. Koenigseggs are very fast on tracks. They destroy every comparable car I can think of. He has zero idea what he is talking about. Sure, you cant FLOOR a 1300hp car exiting a curve, but the power still becomes handy at some point. Just like a zr1 vette. He is an idiot. If you ever get a chance to do some actual homework on how fast their newer cars make it around a track, please do so.

And, if im koenigsegg, im not going to volunteer one of my cars to this little worm either. Good lord. He has no clue how to drive, it is apparent.
You know who doesn't send a high performance uber exotic car to a track like the Ring or Laguna Seca to be tested under observed conditions?......only manufacturers that know their cars will not do well. They can't afford the embarrassment of a slow run or more importantly, a vehicle failure in front of the press when they are asking 1 million to 3 million dollars for an exotic kit car.

Since the K-car destroys every comparable car (as you put it), surely there must be a video of a Ring time or a hot lap around Laguna Seca under observed conditions? Show me one video of a K-car able to do a 20 to 25 minute track day session at ANY road course at speed. And since it has 1300 plus horsepower, it has to be quicker with nearly double the horsepower in the quarter mile than a stock McLaren 720S, right? Does the K-car hold ANY road course records for production vehicles? Facts are facts....the car just isn't the super car most people believe it is. But if you want to go really fast from 180 to 270 mph, the K-car is the ticket assuming you can find a stretch of road to do that kind of thing.

These K-cars are so good, even their own test drivers can't keep them on the road, lol:
https://www.motor1.com/news/242495/k...crashes-again/

And just to show you that the Koenigsegg is as stable as a pet cobra with syphilis, here is a fun compilation of "incidents":

Alejandro is not a race car driver or even a fast driver....in his shootout videos between super cars, he uses a professional race car driver do the driving. And it was pretty enlightening that when the super cars were going at it, the Dodge Viper was near the top of the heap which had a lot of them scratching their heads. I also found it interesting that he got rid of his Pagani Huayra because of constant electrical problems and dead battery issues. Pagani could not get it figured out (what a fail). There's nothing like driving to a restaurant, eating dinner and coming out to a dead battery in a million dollar exotic car.......classy.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John

GMs future is in building cars for the real world.
There are a couple of thousand freshly laid off "used to work for GM" workers who would strongly disagree with your comment.
Mikec7z (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

You know who doesn't send a high performance uber exotic car to a track like the Ring or Laguna Seca to be tested under observed conditions?......only manufacturers that know their cars will not do well. They can't afford the embarrassment of a slow run or more importantly, a vehicle failure in front of the press when they are asking 1 million to 3 million dollars for an exotic kit car.

Since the K-car destroys every comparable car (as you put it), surely there must be a video of a Ring time or a hot lap around Laguna Seca under observed conditions? Show me one video of a K-car able to do a 20 to 25 minute track day session at ANY road course at speed. And since it has 1300 plus horsepower, it has to be quicker with nearly double the horsepower in the quarter mile than a stock McLaren 720S, right? Does the K-car hold ANY road course records for production vehicles? Facts are facts....the car just isn't the super car most people believe it is. But if you want to go really fast from 180 to 270 mph, the K-car is the ticket assuming you can find a stretch of road to do that kind of thing.

These K-cars are so good, even their own test drivers can't keep them on the road, lol:
https://www.motor1.com/news/242495/k...crashes-again/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YgMdfm_KS0

And just to show you that the Koenigsegg is as stable as a pet cobra with syphilis, here is a fun compilation of "incidents":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcgc-6oZsIA

Alejandro is not a race car driver or even a fast driver....in his shootout videos between super cars, he uses a professional race car driver do the driving. And it was pretty enlightening that when the super cars were going at it, the Dodge Viper was near the top of the heap which had a lot of them scratching their heads. I also found it interesting that he got rid of his Pagani Huayra because of constant electrical problems and dead battery issues. Pagani could not get it figured out (what a fail). There's nothing like driving to a restaurant, eating dinner and coming out to a dead battery in a million dollar exotic car.......classy.
i can show you wrecked vettes.

I can show you wrecked vettes on the ring.

I can show you GM executives wrecking vettes on perfectly smooth race circuits while they are being the pace car, not even traveling quickly

I can ask you to find the stat that half of first generation vipers were totaled or involved in serious wrecks... so that I dont have to waste time looking it up for you.

And your buddy who is "a good driver", since he has never driven a koenigsegg, how can he have a valid opinion?

You seem to want to argue that koenigseggs aren't great cars. And, while i disagree with you, this debate is not the point of the thread now is it?

The point of the thread is to examine 3 or 4 key technologies that GM could have benefited greatly from...

...not to debate if the average billionaire who buys a koenigsegg has any idea how to handle 1300hp without wrecking.

You can start that thread tho if you'd like.

So for sake of getting you to stop derailing the thread... sure... koenigseggs are death traps... never buy one. There, we just changed the course of so many people's futures who are reading this. None of them are buying 2 million dollar cars now. Glad we solved that problem.

now... back to transmissions and valves. Thanks for swinging in by... again.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-11-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:36 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Exactly, you could have it ramp to a longer lope for higher HP as you get into higher RPM. The other thing is, you could literally sit on a dyno all day and test profile after profile, to see what ACTUALLY works the best with a specific blower and head and intake setup, etc.

So the days of having to pull an engine to install a cam, and then hope that you have the best one for your build, are over.

These heads will be sold aftermarket, and they will be put on vettes by us. GM is so dumb. So so dumb. As soon as 1 major player teams with him, its over, everyone else will be begging for them too, and he will ask the moon, or he will watch that manufacturer fall into the dark ages. He's won.

And in the meantime, if im a manufacturer, or even an upgrade shop, im going to buy these heads for a test engine that is on an engine dyno, and im going to sit there and play with "mock cam profiles", that are doable for a cam lobe (round instead of square) and then once i figure out a pattern/combination I like, I am going to sell that physical old school cam shaft for the people who still have normal old school cams, and put that new cam, up against my competitor's cam profiles, and put up a youtube video of what power each produces, and I can do it all with these freevalves, on the fly, in real time testing... first 10 sec of the video is my competitors cam, next 10 sec the next cam, last 10 sec my cam.

I bet I then sell a lot of cams

Great find, thank you for posting. At first I was like "and if you need to pull a boat, just put your koenigsegg in reverse... because the gears are large enough" but then he explained a bit more
Too long didn't read version: let us see how things go the next few years, it's pretty cool right now but it needs some further testing imo. I live for this crap.

Well that's the thing with these things, you never win. All patents do is breed creativity around them. Sometimes good and sometimes bad.

My favorite example of this is the sterndrive. The engineer who created it, worked for mercury before they went to volvo. (Don't get me started on how much I hate those guys, they can't do a God damned thing right. Not the same as the car company by the way... they're alright.) He left because merc didn't want it and thus built the aquamatic for volvo. kiekhaefer, not wanting to be topped released the mercruiser about a year later. It featured a patented trim and tilt system that is now industry standard, through hub exhaust which was patented and is now industry standard and a whole slew of other crap that Volvo wishes they had first. They may have had the sterndrive first but it's an antiquated system that they scrapped as soon as the patents ran out on mercs design.

Not trying to argue, but just because you're first, doesn't mean it's the hottest **** out there. Like I said, let's see it pan out for a while before we go making any conclusions. As it sits now I can think of two alternative methods to freevalve that wouldn't infringe on any patents I'd guess... I'm speculating that he only holds that on the actuator and if you change that then you really don't have a problem I think, but I've been wrong before.

I'd love to torture test one of them in a fleet vehicle now though and see how they work. I'd expect a max of 40 hp on the average stock headed engine only because the port itself would become the limiting factor. If you race prep the ports then the sky is probably the limit.
Mikec7z (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
There are a couple of thousand freshly laid off "used to work for GM" workers who would strongly disagree with your comment.
Yes, I saw some of them on TV àngry about the inhumanity of it all. Bottom line , every soccer mom is driving a huge *** SUV they can’t park, let alone drive, while texting: the soccer dads are all driving pick up trucks, and a hand full of us are driving hi performance cars. Even my wife just sold her A6 and moved I to a new Caddy XT5. I don’t get it. We already have a Grand Cherokee. There simply is no longer a market for the cars those folks were building.

I do empathize with them becaus in 1974 I was a young UAW guy at the GM plant in St. Louis when the Arab oil embargo caused the same automotive crisis, in reverse. I lost my job at GM but finished my degrees and lived happily ever after. Oh, and I was driving a Corvette then too.
Mikec7z (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
I'd love to torture test one of them in a fleet vehicle now though and see how they work. I'd expect a max of 40 hp on the average stock headed engine only because the port itself would become the limiting factor. If you race prep the ports then the sky is probably the limit.
i think he has the patent on them being electromagnetically moved as well, instead of pneumatics. pneumatics is stage 1 of his plan. As i mentioned above, he knows that when you cant patent something that already exists (which these valves have been in very large ship engines prior to cars)... he knows that in testing, you find the minute details that need to occur for them to work in cars, and he patents those needed details.

He is smart.

They have already taken valves, and put them in an actuator with a spring, and just had it sit there and run for months and months, non stop. Then they did the same with a running engine that has been ran hard nonstop.

Its also in a few of the engineers cars who drive them to and from work every day, in cold a$$ norway/sweeden area.

he has been testing them. They are ready. Phase 2, not yet, but phase 1, i think hes got it.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-11-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Sorry....Koenisgsegg's cars are one of the most over hyped kit cars on the market. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm not a huge fan of the exterior look of their cars. Now lets talk performance....if these are truly high end super cars, they should have some decent performance numbers. Doing a single top speed run or 0-60 mph is not indicative of what the car can do if pushed to do it multiple times, over and over. I doesn't need it to be the fastest car out there, but it should be able to compete with other cars in it's price range.....even if it could compete with cars costing 1/3 the price like Ferrrari's, Lambos and Porsches I could respect that. But what has this car done? Show mean a "decent" Ring time, a decent lap at Laguna Seca, etc? And can it do high performance for more than one lap without spitting it's guts? Without overheating? If the K cars were so good, you'd see launch videos like this one....I bet it couldn't do this 20 times in a row let alone 50 without turning into a platter of Swedish meatballs:

Interesting perspective....and I respect your position. I think the Koenigsegg is an acquired taste, as far as looks go. I do like the style of the brand.

I don't think that if a car doesn't have a good Ring time or a Laguna Seca lap time that it's over-hyped. Different people measure cars credibility in different ways....it's different for everyone. Again, I respect that.

I have a lot of respect for Koenigsegg for setting the land speed time in Pahrump, Nevada at Spring Mountain. An Agera RS set the land speed record for a production car with an average speed of 277 MPH. With the wind, the car went 288 MPH.....I'm sorry, but that is still impressive to me.

Would I like to see it's Ring time....sure. But the Ring time, for me, is only part of the story.
Mikec7z (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

It looks as if these were invented prior as well, but i do know they are testing these, and trying to figure out why they fail, so they can patent the fine tuning solutions

and for those of you thinking he does not file patents... this is just the Freevalve company's patents:

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-11-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:07 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

i think he has the patent on them being electromagnetically moved as well, instead of pneumatics. pneumatics is stage 1 of his plan. As i mentioned above, he knows that when you cant patent something that already exists (which these valves have in very large ship engines prior to cars)... he knows that in testing, you find the minute details that need to occur for them to work in cars, and he patents those.

He is smart.

They have already taken valves, and put them in an actuator with a spring, and just had it sit there and run for months and months, non stop. Then they did the same with a running engine that has been ran hard nonstop.

Its also in a few of the engineers cars who drive them to and from work every day, in cold a$$ norway/sweeden area.

he has been testing them. They are ready. Phase 2, not yet, but phase 1, i think hes got it.
I'd actually be more concerned with hot testing tbh. Yes icing becomes a problem but the density change with heat could present an interesting perspective.

Looks like he has his bases covered. I'm looking forward to seeing what is next. And by the way, electromagnetic actuators weren't on the two methods I'm thinking of. like I said, look I g forward to seeing what's next.
Mikec7z (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I truly enjoyed this thread! Thank you guys.

The only thing I would add - don't count GM out, just yet. Do you remember the intermittent windshield wiper?
Mikec7z (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i hope you are right... because i want to be able to make my car lope like a drag car and breathe fire, and then go to prius quiet and smooth, moment to moment, on command
Old 03-12-2019, 05:59 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

no idea why GM would pass on this. I'm surprised they didn't buy it then bury it. American car makers are indeed lacking the innovation and engineering "skunk works" that used to be prevelant.

The big K builds some very impressive stuff and he was smart to sell it before the chinese stole it. I agree that electric vehicles aren't going to cut it in performance applications without some form of power generation

I think the turbines will take over, who needs stupid valves anyway. think Jag CX75 1000 ft lbs of torq, all wheel drive electric, twin turbine power generation with very small battery arrays for city driving to get the good mileage

heat and noise are still a problem, but those can be engineered out and the micro turbines are pretty durn cheap now.
Mikec7z (03-12-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Too bad the C8 doesn't have the Jesko transmission...

Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

So you must not have read the thread at all huh? The part about how the transmission can be made out of the same materials as GM makes their transmissions currently, but with less parts, less space taken up, and stronger gears, and superior capability of what the transmission can do as far as shifting vs auto or dct? you didn't see any of that?... there is no downside. No, they wont be more expensive than an entire c8 with a normal metal box.

GM was in talks with him on partnering to put the freevalves on a GM model, and mass produce it. He and they did not work out a deal. Instead he did with a chinese company. I predicted that he would have other inventions that would cause GM to regret not being close with him... and not even a few months later, he reveals the jesko transmission.

And thats why i believe GM is not smart. Even if they would have signed an agreement at a high price or high percentage with him, GM could have implemented a clause such as the one I listed above, and GM could rest easy that no one would gain access to the technology at a lower price than they are, as they put it into contract.
While agree GM may not be smart, it's common for large corporations to be very careful "licensing" from a small innovative company. In addition to "Not Invented Here" issues there are ways big corporations can expend the engineering time and money to develop variants of other folks patents and using their team of lawyers to fight in support of their "workaround!"

My latest patent, which issued a few years ago, is a welding helmet that not only filters air to eliminate breathing welding fumes (common in the industry called Powered Air Purifying Respirators, PAPRs, my patent has a unique way to apply a thermoelectric cooling module to also cool the welders head. (Gets dam hot when production welding- one reason we have trouble getting new folks in the industry.) Still trying to work with Welding Hemet manufacturers but all want exclusive rights.

Have a company who would incorporate the patent in a product for the military, which is their business-not welding. Even with a royalty from an expensive device an "exclusive" is not viable. 5% of very few devices blocks arrangements with high volume welding helmet producers. The "license causes" you speak about often won't get past their attorneys!

Currently licensing another welding related patent with a large corporation and getting started is not easy. Just Sayn'

Last edited by JerryU; 03-12-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Mikec7z (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

So you must not have read the thread at all huh? The part about how the transmission can be made out of the same materials as GM makes their transmissions currently, but with less parts, less space taken up, and stronger gears, and superior capability of what the transmission can do as far as shifting vs auto or dct? you didn't see any of that?... there is no downside. No, they wont be more expensive than an entire c8 with a normal metal box.. they would be less than the c7 automatic transmission alone, since they have less moving parts and less gears.
Less gears? Ok, I'll buy that. Less moving parts? Compared to the C7's M7, sure I can see that. But all of those clutches are moving (compared to how many moving clutches in a M7?) and that (and the actuators for them) aren't going to be cheap. Would a normal aluminum cased version cost as much a ME? Unlikely, but it would cost a pretty hefty penny IMHO.

Definitely an interesting design (as is the valve technology), but I think before we rush to say they are both the greatest thing since sliced bread, they need to experience millions of miles in all environments and situations. Being in hypercars that are barely driven and have pretty heavy (and expensive) maintenance schedules is not the same scenario as being in a soccer mom's SUV.
The following 3 users liked this post by vndkshn:
AORoads (03-14-2019), ArmchairArchitect (03-12-2019), Mikec7z (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vndkshn
Less gears? Ok, I'll buy that. Less moving parts? Compared to the C7's M7, sure I can see that. But all of those clutches are moving (compared to how many moving clutches in a M7?) and that (and the actuators for them) aren't going to be cheap. Would a normal aluminum cased version cost as much a ME? Unlikely, but it would cost a pretty hefty penny IMHO.

Definitely an interesting design (as is the valve technology), but I think before we rush to say they are both the greatest thing since sliced bread, they need to experience millions of miles in all environments and situations. Being in hypercars that are barely driven and have pretty heavy (and expensive) maintenance schedules is not the same scenario as being in a soccer mom's SUV.
Yeah, you are correct about the clutches. The good news is, since there are so many per car, you get to find out why they fail, very quickly, and your mass production numbers on these little guys are going to be huge in number.

Originally Posted by JerryU
While agree GM may not be smart, it's common for large corporations to be very careful "licensing" from a small innovative company. In addition to "Not Invented Here" issues there are ways big corporations can expend the engineering time and money to develop variants of other folks patents and using their team of lawyers to fight in support of their "workaround!"

My latest patent, which issued a few years ago, is a welding helmet that not only filters air to eliminate breathing welding fumes (common in the industry called Powered Air Purifying Respirators, PAPRs, my patent has a unique way to apply a thermoelectric cooling module to also cool the welders head. (Gets dam hot when production welding- one reason we have trouble getting new folks in the industry.) Still trying to work with Welding Hemet manufacturers but all want exclusive rights.

Have a company who would incorporate the patent in a product for the military, which is their business-not welding. Even with a royalty from an expensive device an "exclusive" is not viable. 5% of very few devices blocks arrangements with high volume welding helmet producers. The "license causes" you speak about often won't get past their attorneys!

Currently licensing another welding related patent with a large corporation and getting started is not easy. Just Sayn'
Nice, the world needs more of you. I often get very frustrated when I hear people who have no idea how machines work or how to build anything, nor do they understand medicine or logistics or chemistry or programming etc... and they are arguing politics and capitalism, as if they are a capitalist.

When im in dick head mode and I cant take anymore of their nails-on-chalkboard talk where they pretend they are a helpful capitalist/citizen of the USA since they say they embrace capitalism, i say to them..

"have you ever invented anything?" no.
"do you plan to invent anything before you die?" no
"do you practice to learn to become capable of invention, like do you want to learn how an existing machine works so that you can carry a convo and keep up with peoples ideas on new inventions?" no
"do you highlight inventors and talk about what people, (who the public does not know about yet), who are trying to invent or have invented, more than you talk about invention-less politicians?" no

"hmmmm, so if im understanding you correctly, socialism and communism and fascism etc produce less invention than capitalism since capitalism is best since it got us to the industrial revolution first?" yes,

"and A capitalist is what you think you ARE, and thus the fastest invention rate is what the USA has because of people who vote like you do, and fast invention will continue to occur if everyone votes as you do?" yes

"and that's why you think you should clap for people, who you've never met, who were born into a bad situation, to be killed, without a trial, in war, anytime anyone does not see things your way or has resources that you want or think your perfect team deserves, is that correct? (they will usually try to argue here, but i continue without giving them a chance to speak really because they are usually too dumb to absorb what I'm saying, nor are they usually willing to learn something new)

"... and you think you are justified to do such clapping for others to kill each other because "invention" is so important to you which is THE primary reason why capitalism is important to you and the rest of us, as invention may cure a disease or treat it with a medication, or refrigerate our food or clean our water in a more efficient way, or create a machine that plants or harvests food faster or a better way, and thus, you can argue that invention saves millions and billions of lives, and the systems that don't spawn as much invention are literally killing people by the millions and billions relatively speaking as lack of invention is also a very bad economy, and that's why a war where we kill a few million people is the lesser of all evils, before their evil system spreads, and ruins the globe and our country and ruins our invention and production rates, and thus ruins our economy?... if I'm understanding you correctly?"

and then they say "yes, BUT...", and might ramble off some stuff trying to explain their pitiful parroted understanding of this world, and I let them talk for a bit, and who knows, maybe they do teach me something profound that im not aware of yet, but either way, they think I'm done and that we are still on the same page....

But I'm not done, and we are not on the same page I just give their staggering IQ's time to let them digest everything I just said and still pretend they have a clue what they are talking about, as they embrace and repeat back to me everything I just said but try to bend it to fit into their world view, in a knowledge vomit as they attempt to prove they are intelligent... when I'm about to make this really black and white for them...

So then I finally ask...

"do you know what the worst society of all is?...the society that invents less than communism or socialism or fascism? In fact, It literally invents NOTHING, no matter how much time you give it to invent, no matter how many thousands of years pass by, none of its people invent because of the ISM they are stuck in, do you know what it is?"

And then they say, "No", or they might joke and say "the Congo" or something... but eventually they ask, "what is it"?

And then I say...

"its when i clone your hypocritical worthless a$$ 8 billion times, and put you on a planet with nothing but yourself, and take away everyone else who you think you are smarter than, as you and all of your worthless clones invent f***ing NOTHING during your 100 year stays here on planet earth, and then you distract anyone capable of invention, from inventing, because the moment anyone wants to talk about or get excited and focus in on their ideas, or other people's ideas for invention or innovation, your monkey IQ of 60 self can't seem to find interest or keep up in an actual conversation about a useful solution, nor do you think its your responsibility to make those solutions occur, and you would rather change the topic to how inventive the future is going to be since you managed to push a certain button in a voting booth to try to elect someone to power who also has a track record of NO INVENTION EVER... and also how you managed to enlighten your friends and they all pushed the same button as you did, and how the lack of invention and thus bad economy currently is due to the other political party's desire to push the other of 2 buttons in that same voting booth.

(which btw, that used to be the difference between usa and europe, we did not wait or beg for the elected officials to solve our problems or expect them to be capable of invention or real solutions, we were proud that we solved them ourselves, and we did not talk about our leaders as much as we waste time doing today, and that understanding and pride to produce solutions ourselves was prevalent prior to the brainwashing of ww2 and cold war/vietnam where everyone lost sight of what made USA unique, and got carried away by this distracting capitalism vs socialism/communism stuff, where people think they can verbally declare they are on a new team or believe in a new team, as they all invent f***ing nothing that anyone would ever happily buy a second or third time after they get to test it and see if it works or not).

...So, IF we are going to kill people who exist in, or embrace, THE societal behaviors that "prohibit invention from occurring at its fastest possible rates", and we take "lines in the sand and skin color and language and which religion your mom dragged you to learn about on the weekends" out of our killing spree decision making, and instead actually give every individual human on this globe a fair trial first before we blindly kill them for "getting in the way of the fastest rate of new and useful invention and production of that invention"... you do realize I hope, that you'd be among the first to die?"

And this is where they get pretty scared usually, because they can see on my face and hear in my voice i am very serious

Maybe they get scared and say "I dont deserve to die simply because i dont invent things" and I say... yes you do, you convinced me people capable of invention should kill communists and socialists, especially if they infect our country with a slow rate of invention mentality... and guess what rate of invention your mind manifests back here in reality? f***ing zero....

So Quit kidding yourself that you are a capitalist and care about invention or innovation rates, an quit kidding that you help either of the 2 to occur at a faster pace than they already do if you dropped dead where you stand. Stop lying to me or yourself or anyone else. I genuinely don't want to hear another word from you about it, to anyone, ever. For the record, you are what is wrong with this country/globe, because you program the next generation into believing that pushing a button in a voting booth once every 2 or 4 years, and talking about this big voting event the rest of the time, as you invent and produce and solve NOTHING for humanity, you pretending such behavior is THE solution and the correct way to behave, is what is wrong with the world. You are not a capitalist, make no mistake"

And then if they are dumb enough to counter me instead of go home and rethink their life, and realize how hypocritical and mindless and shameless they actually are... I usually ask

"if there is a god, of any kind, and that god was logical enough to invent atoms and gravity and waves and DNA... do you think such a logical god is impressed that you clap for people to die without giving them a trial first... when the only reason you have for killing them is their system supposedly prohibits the fastest rate of invention because lets call a spade a spade, russians and other communist countries, they had inventors and were inventive, so to say they were not inventive, is a total lie, and meanwhile, you openly admitted back at step one that you have zero desire to help invent anything before you die? I think the killing that you clap for others to do, that's no longer killing to protect a principle in a war, a principle you can claim you exhibit that the enemy does not, i think that's called hypocritical lawless murder... when your worthless non-inventive a$$ is part of the game, who cant ever be quiet about what voting booth button you are pushing next, as you pretend you are helping. See if any of that computes in that walnut you call a brain and take a wild guess how much I admire your outlook on politics"

and then i get up and leave, because i cant stand how dumb people are, and how little shame they have for the way they currently reason and behave, as they can only justify their behavior by saying they are "common" and thus its acceptable.

Yeah, communists are common in communism, and you guys think you can kill them by the millions without blinking

Rats are common. Mosquitos are common. Maggots are common. But we dont car when they die, now do we?

Anyway, all of that usually freaks people out a bit

The moral is, Bravo for inventing, let alone attempting to You are in the 1 percent of humanity in the USA who is not a hypocrite

I have this fictional story im working on, where the most intelligent and inventive people from around the globe, have a secret pact, and war with bullet shooters, is to LET anyone be a hypocrite and kill each other and only each other, who are not inventive, let alone inquire about inventions as a top priority in their life and death game they choose to enter into... while the intelligent people have lasers in orbit and in lasers in aircraft and could end any war in the blink of an eye, but there is something more fitting to let people be themselves, and learn the hard way facing off with their mirror images of intelligence... after all, they might snap out of it along the way, and realize what a hypocrite they are. This team i speak of, they aren't racists, they know smart people can come from anywhere. And they also know stupid people, come from everywhere. And thus, their solution to the problem of stupidity is to let it kill its own kind under its own free agency, and thus their game as they monitor as the referee

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
no idea why GM would pass on this. I'm surprised they didn't buy it then bury it. American car makers are indeed lacking the innovation and engineering "skunk works" that used to be prevelant.

The big K builds some very impressive stuff and he was smart to sell it before the chinese stole it. I agree that electric vehicles aren't going to cut it in performance applications without some form of power generation

I think the turbines will take over, who needs stupid valves anyway. think Jag CX75 1000 ft lbs of torq, all wheel drive electric, twin turbine power generation with very small battery arrays for city driving to get the good mileage

heat and noise are still a problem, but those can be engineered out and the micro turbines are pretty durn cheap now.
A turbine engine mounted to his torque converter, and 1 gear ratio, and electric motors, might be something worth checking out also.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-12-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Too bad the C8 doesn't have the Jesko transmission...