Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions Standards-Cost and Power

Old 03-16-2019, 01:36 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
CA is doing much of the rest of the US a big favor by being tougher on emissions since the air over CA at any given point in time is going to travel across state lines into much of the rest of the country later.
Like many others, you sound like you think this has something to do with air pollution. The only current CARB-EPA contention is over greenhouse gases, i.e., CAFE standards. Unfortunately, California has the upper hand due to an astonishing Supreme Court decision in 2007 referred to as Massachusetts vs. EPA (do a search), which found that the Clean Air Act includes vehicle fuel economy regulations. And of course, decades ago, due to smog not global warming, the Clean Air Act allowed California to set standards different from the rest of the country.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:20 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
Like many others, you sound like you think this has something to do with air pollution. The only current CARB-EPA contention is over greenhouse gases, i.e., CAFE standards. Unfortunately, California has the upper hand due to an astonishing Supreme Court decision in 2007 referred to as Massachusetts vs. EPA (do a search), which found that the Clean Air Act includes vehicle fuel economy regulations. And of course, decades ago, due to smog not global warming, the Clean Air Act allowed California to set standards different from the rest of the country.
Again No one is forcing Anyone to build/sell cars for California. I suspect most of the people complaining about this are otherwise gung ho state rights people. California and the states that voluntarily join, are not hurting anyone by requiring cars to be cleaner and get better gas mileage. In fact those goals are beneficial to all. Wouldn't it be nice to no longer buy any oil from the Middle East who take our money and fund terrorists groups?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:34 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 469 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Wouldn't it be nice to no longer buy any oil from the Middle East who take our money and fund terrorists groups?
Thanks to fracking the US is now an oil exporting nation
Old 03-17-2019, 04:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Good point, but you're citing the current statute (Clean Air Act), which you say allowed CA to set its own standards. We were talking about if a new law were enacted to prohibit that. If the Clean Air Act were to be amended by Congress, rescinding that right, it sounds like that same Supreme Court precedent would suggest that would be constitutional. However, it would no doubt be tested again.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Good point, but you're citing the current statute (Clean Air Act), which you say allowed CA to set its own standards. We were talking about if a new law were enacted to prohibit that. If the Clean Air Act were to be amended by Congress, rescinding that right, it sounds like that same Supreme Court precedent would suggest that would be constitutional. However, it would no doubt be tested again.
Understood. I didn't realize anyone was seeking to amend the Clean Air Act.

BTW, If things go as California prefers (i.e., separate CAFE requirements), this is the most likely way that manufactures will respond: They will manufacture and certify and sell the same vehicles in California as the rest of the US. But they will tweak prices and dealer allocations to accommodate California requirements (e.g., prices for Corvettes and Tahoes will be raised $3000, and prices for Bolts will be reduced $3000 in CA). Then manufacturers, dealers, CARB, and CA DMV will have big arguments about vehicles purchased outside CA and brought into CA.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:58 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

People buying cars in all 50 states, pay for CARB being given the right to set their own standards. CARB is staffed by environmental zealots.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Understood. I didn't realize anyone was seeking to amend the Clean Air Act.

BTW, If things go as California prefers (i.e., separate CAFE requirements), this is the most likely way that manufactures will respond: They will manufacture and certify and sell the same vehicles in California as the rest of the US. But they will tweak prices and dealer allocations to accommodate California requirements (e.g., prices for Corvettes and Tahoes will be raised $3000, and prices for Bolts will be reduced $3000 in CA). Then manufacturers, dealers, CARB, and CA DMV will have big arguments about vehicles purchased outside CA and brought into CA.
This was all hypothetical. There is no current challenge to CA setting its own standards. However, there is probably a legal basis for federal jurisdiction and enforcement of one standard for all of the US if political inertia developed to push it. I don't see that happening at present, but things have funny way of changing over time. In the past, it was more politically convenient for CA to be more strict, and there's been no inertia to challenge that.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-17-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Keep in mind that there are two completely different types of emissions being discussed here: "Criteria pollutants" like CO, NOx, and VOHCs (hydrocarbons) contribute to smog and some have proven health effects. CO2 "emissions" are greenhouse gases that presumably contribute to global warming, but they have nothing to do with smog. I don't think there is any disagreement between EPA and CARB about criteria pollutants. My understanding is that the disagreement is about CAFE standards, which are the main rule-making mechanism pertinent to automotive greenhouse gas emissions. EPA wants to level off the increasingly strict CAFE standards while CARB wants them to continue to be increasingly strict.

The above is fact as I understand it, but I'll be pleased to read factual corrections. Below is pure opinion:

Global warming (and EV and FCV) zealots love to mix up fuel economy standards and criteria pollutant standards. This enables them to leave the impression that any CAFE compromise will bring us back to 1950s LA smog make thousands of children suffer with asthma. Unknowing journalists buy this and write stuff about how the current administration wants to let automakers manufacture cars releasing dirty emissions. Since CAFE is the only contentious issue, these dirty emissions are the same ones emitted by trees.
Thank you!

I'll go even further. This state long ago stopped caring about air pollution, and made pollution standards a war on capitalism. I can't tell you how many times one political party kept repeating to the media how CO2 caused asthma. This is a gas that is exhaled by humans.

Still don't believe me? This state voted in two propositions, the first in 1996 and later 2016, pushed by the same political party to legalize putting brain damaging THC from marijuana smoke in everyone's air. It's fine to pollute another person's living space such as apartment or house with THC. There are no rules at all against that at all. Lead in gasoline is bad, but THC is fine. Sure.

Anyone who thinks we will have a Corvette as we know it after California gets done with their CO2 brigade, think again. California did this in the 1970's, and by 1980 we ended up with a Corvette with a 305 with a whopping 180 horsepower from a station wagon, and no manual transmission. It was only until the emission standards essentially merged before we got a decent engine. I don't think everyone in the United States wants an electric Corvette, but that's the road we are on in California.

The bottom line is automakers are in business to sell cars and make money. It is too expensive to meet two completely different CO2 standards. Aren't cars expensive enough already?

If it gets too expensive, GM may just decide they won't sell the Corvette in California or other states with restrictive CO2 standards, because to meet the standards would require essentially a completely different car. As we have seen lately, GM is not opposed to cancelling cars and entire car divisions that don't make money.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-20-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,197 Posts

I'm a strong advocate for GM to offer a turbo 4 cylinder hybrid Corvette in addition to a fire-breathing V8!

And send all those 4 cylinder hybrid models as the only option to California.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:00 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Michael A
Thank you!

I'll go even further. This state long ago stopped caring about air pollution, and made pollution standards a war on capitalism. I can't tell you how many times one political party kept repeating to the media how CO2 caused asthma. This is a gas that is exhaled by humans.

Still don't believe me? This state voted in two propositions, the first in 1996 and later 2016, pushed by the same political party to legalize putting brain damaging THC from marijuana smoke in everyone's air. It's fine to pollute another person's living space such as apartment or house with THC. There are no rules at all against that at all. Lead in gasoline is bad, but THC is fine. Sure.

Anyone who thinks we will have a Corvette as we know it after California gets done with their CO2 brigade, think again. California did this in the 1970's, and by 1980 we ended up with a Corvette with a 305 with a whopping 180 horsepower from a station wagon, and no manual transmission. It was only until the emission standards essentially merged before we got a decent engine. I don't think everyone in the United States wants an electric Corvette, but that's the road we are on in California.

The bottom line is automakers are in business to sell cars and make money. It is too expensive to meet two completely different CO2 standards. Aren't cars expensive enough already?

If it gets too expensive, GM may just decide they won't sell the Corvette in California or other states with restrictive CO2 standards, because to meet the standards would require essentially a completely different car. As we have seen lately, GM is not opposed to cancelling cars and entire car divisions that don't make money.
Actually the "war" on pollution has been an economic boom. Not sure how that is a war on capitalism "green jobs" is the fastest growing creator of new jobs. Why do you think California has the 5th largest gdp in the world? Pollution is and was a real problem in California. Remember smog in LA in the 70's? As to smoking - seriously? California again has some of the most progressive regulations on restricting smoking anything in public. Not sure what you meant about someone's house? If someone wants to smoke in their own house are you saying California should make a law against. that? Although I am okay restricting smoking - anything - around kids.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:46 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by range96
I'm a strong advocate for GM to offer a turbo 4 cylinder hybrid Corvette in addition to a fire-breathing V8!

And send all those 4 cylinder hybrid models as the only option to California.
I would prefer a full BEV without the 4 cylinder - with performance like the Tesla new Roadster. Better yet, I am waiting for the Corvette powered by the flux capacitor.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:46 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Actually the "war" on pollution has been an economic boom. Not sure how that is a war on capitalism "green jobs" is the fastest growing creator of new jobs. Why do you think California has the 5th largest gdp in the world? Pollution is and was a real problem in California. Remember smog in LA in the 70's? As to smoking - seriously? California again has some of the most progressive regulations on restricting smoking anything in public. Not sure what you meant about someone's house? If someone wants to smoke in their own house are you saying California should make a law against. that? Although I am okay restricting smoking - anything - around kids.
This is a prime example of how in California we are bombarded by propaganda from the ruling party and the media, that people start believing it. This is really surprising to me, given we all have loads of information at our finger tips on the web, where these statements can be investigated.

Let' take the "5th largest economy" as an example. Divide California's GDP by the World Product, and it turns out it is only 3%. Big deal! The ruling party just wants everyone to think everything is going great, and "don't question what we are doing." In reality, things aren't going well. California has the highest poverty rate in the nation. California has one third of all welfare recipients in the nation, but only 11% of the population. California has 20% of all the homeless population. Half the children and one third of the adults are on Medicare. But everything is going great, because we are the fifth largest economy.

"green jobs" - If your economy is based on "green jobs" producing electricity that was already produced by other methods, how many people lost their jobs? That's never reported. Also what is never mentioned is that the green job category started near zero, so even a small change results in it being the fastest growing on a percentage growth basis, but not on a total employment number. You see how these statistics are spoon fed to people.

California is so "progressive" on limiting smoking, they thought it was a good idea to legalize another addicting smoking material, this time with a neurotoxin in it, which they know will through second hand smoke go into the lungs and brains of infants, children and the elderly. The stupidity never ends.

Watch out for your Corvette rims, because 60% of our urban roads are rated in poor condition, worst in the nation. And this is not even in a snow climate. Fail! The roads just get worse every year, and so do the bridges. The Reason Foundation reports that California is #1 in the most deficient bridges. That's comforting.. I hit a sink hole in LA a week ago, and I thought to myself, "I'm glad I was in my offroad worthy 4x4 with big balloon tires, because that would have taken out my wheels and my suspension on just about anything else." If California continues on this trajectory of neglecting the roads, it won't matter if you can buy a Corvette here due to global warming regulations, because the roads will be in such bad shape, you won't be able to drive it anyway.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-20-2019 at 11:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael A:
ByByBMW (03-21-2019), Warp Factor (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:36 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Michael A
This is a prime example of how in California we are bombarded by propaganda from the ruling party and the media, that people start believing it. This is really surprising to me, given we all have loads of information at our finger tips on the web, where these statements can be investigated.

Let' take the "5th largest economy" as an example. Divide California's GDP by the World Product, and it turns out it is only 3%. Big deal! The ruling party just wants everyone to think everything is going great, and "don't question what we are doing." In reality, things aren't going well. California has the highest poverty rate in the nation. California has one third of all welfare recipients in the nation, but only 11% of the population. California has 20% of all the homeless population. Half the children and one third of the adults are on Medicare. But everything is going great, because we are the fifth largest economy.

"green jobs" - If your economy is based on "green jobs" producing electricity that was already produced by other methods, how many people lost their jobs? That's never reported. Also what is never mentioned is that the green job category started near zero, so even a small change results in it being the fastest growing on a percentage growth basis, but not on a total employment number. You see how these statistics are spoon fed to people.

California is so "progressive" on limiting smoking, they thought it was a good idea to legalize another addicting smoking material, this time with a neurotoxin in it, which they know will through second hand smoke go into the lungs and brains of infants, children and the elderly. The stupidity never ends.

Watch out for your Corvette rims, because 60% of our urban roads are rated in poor condition, worst in the nation. And this is not even in a snow climate. Fail! The roads just get worse every year, and so do the bridges. The Reason Foundation reports that California is #1 in the most deficient bridges. That's comforting.. I hit a sink hole in LA a week ago, and I thought to myself, "I'm glad I was in my offroad worthy 4x4 with big balloon tires, because that would have taken out my wheels and my suspension on just about anything else." If California continues on this trajectory of neglecting the roads, it won't matter if you can buy a Corvette here due to global warming regulations, because the roads will be in such bad shape, you won't be able to drive it anyway.
Not sure where you get your "information". Statistics are of course a wonderful thing. You can almost make numbers say whatever you want. Here are 2 that refute your claim about poverty and homeless.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ates-in-the-us

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...vels/37799947/

And your claim about welfare is interesting especially as to what you consider to be "welfare". https://www.politifact.com/californi...welfare-s-exa/

Although with all your bashing of California I wonder why you would want to live there?

Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I used to sell Peterbilt trucks in California.

When the diesel emissions standards came out I was a pretty big loud mouth about fuel economy, reliability and government regulations. I was pretty shocked when 100% of my old redneck clientele was completely in favor of the emissions.

They always stated what it was like when they were a child in California and how bad the pollution was. So bad that as children they couldn't play outside and people would have terrible asthma attacks in their 50s if they worked outside.

As you look around at EPA regulations I hope that we are wise enough to not have to ruin our environment before we recognize how bad it really is to have a ruined environment.

People like to say that California are libtards, what they don't recognize is that Californians and their positions are just a reflection of their actual experiences. The people themselves aren't any different than others, they just have experienced a different set of circumstances.
The following 3 users liked this post by Suns_PSD:
ByByBMW (03-21-2019), Foosh (03-21-2019), msm859 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 08:03 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

It's not 1972 anymore, this part of the debate is getting ridiculous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California Emissions Standards-Cost and Power