Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 will sell like HOTCAKES at $60k base price

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:48 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Test
Old 03-19-2019, 09:43 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
Think brand, not market... It is most certainly Chevrolet’s halo car, and many people on this forum use that term pretty freely. Compared to the other Chevrolet products it is most certainly produced in lesser if not limited quantities and involves much more R&D and technology than any other Chevrolet products. Geez, name even a current “GM” halo car other than the Corvette?
GM does not have one.

Nope, its just the top of the line. Not much different then then the Camaro in content. Its unique to Chevy in that its a two seater but other car lines also have two seat cars that are not halo cars.

C8 will move well at $60K

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-19-2019 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
GM doesn't have a halo car. Not every manufacturer does. A mass produced sports car is not anywhere near a halo car. There is no way you could call corvette limited production and it in no way pushes the engineering envelope like your definition suggests. Other real halo cars are the McLaren P1, LaFerrari, Valkyrie, etc. They push the engineering envelope and showcase the manufacturers top efforts. The corvette is built with a budget in mind to sell to middle class people, tell me, how does that represent a true halo car? If you believe the corvette is a halo car then so is the Mustang and Miata. If you think the corvette is a halo car then you need to change your definition to just the best performer the brand has to offer in order to get people into your showroom.
I guess we will just have to disagree on this.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
As to how many DD their Corvettes and 911’s it’s an eye opening percentage. I would have thought the same as you until I have seen recent polls on this forum and Rennlist. Weekend drivers were the minority. Amazing how many people own one of these cars with only one other car.....and their spouse is driving that one to work.

As to leasing.....can’t speak to that since I have never leased a car in my 59 years of life.
Biased sample size. What percentage of Corvette or Porsche owners are active members of these forums? I'd guess a relatively small number. Yes, if you poll an enthusiast forum, you are going to get a high number of folks who DD their car. Take a look at them as a sample of the entire ownership group, though, and that number goes down. Geographic location also affects this. Not too familiar with Missouri weather, but I suspect one can DD a Corvette year round there. Know how many do so in Michigan, or most other climates where one gets snow three or more months a year? Not many. And while they may be fine for a childless couple like me, tossing kids into the mix makes them pretty impractical as a sole car DD in a hurry. And yes, I'm sure you can find an example of someone who does, but they do not make a trend

As far as leasing, neither have I, but they account for about 1/3 of new car transactions and are on the upswing.

Originally Posted by .gearhead.
People actually buy base models?
Only options I've ever cared to pay for on new cars are upgraded seats and go-fast parts. Other than that, I prefer mine pretty basic.

Last edited by jefnvk; 03-19-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:21 AM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How well it sells will have more to do with the economy than the price of the car. When jobs start disappearing (right now we are at the peak of employment which means the only place to go is down) Customers stop buying two seat cars that are not much more than a toy. Some brands don't make it through the down swing. Luckily, Corvette has been popular enough through X many recessions over the decades that it has been one of the two or three brands that survive. We are definitely heading toward a down turn, car sales are falling off due to lower demand. Home sales have started falling off even in some of the hot markets while in others they never caught on. There is a lot of negative pressure on the economy and it won't take much to send it on its way down. Things always look great and like they will continue forever just before the crash.

Bill
Correct in theory, but people who buy expensive sports cars are not really driven by financials... more by lifestyle. When the economy gets bad, the folks who buy these cars are the ones who do the laying off, not the ones who get layed-off. They still have money, sometimes they just choose not to show it.

I have a friend who runs a food wholesaling business... a tough business by any measure... he never drives his Porsche Turbo to work... not because he can't, but because he doesn't want his employees to think he's making too much money, so he drives a used Ford Taurus beater.

I recently moved, and sold two Porsches... not because I can't afford them, but because I only have parking for 3 cars. I just don't need the hassle. I could afford a Ferrari if I wanted it. I just don't want a Ferrari.

Basically, the demand for Corvettes, Porsches, Jaguars, Ferraris, and even Miatas is about 100-200K units in a 17M unit market.

If this tiny slice of the market WANT the car, they will buy it at any price. If they don't want it, they won't buy it at any price.

The following 2 users liked this post by jcp911s:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-20-2019), Dr. ice (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

^^^^Huh, well I guess during the last downturn folks were just tired of Porsche and it had nothing to do with the economy. Look at the 997.2 (2009-12) 911s and they are a small demographic when comparing to pre/post downturn models. Other cars, like ZR1 are similar.

While some lucky few can power through anything, there is a much larger subset that pulls their money off the table
Old 03-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk

As to your points about the trucks and SUVs, yes, some cost the same, but with one gigantic difference: those are vehicles people are buying mainly for daily usage. While I don't doubt some Corvette owners daily their car, they are in the minority. There is a large difference between spending that money on a practical daily use vehicle, and a two seat toy. Also, I would question how many of those $60k trucks/SUVs are bought outright, versus leased and sold later in the low 40s. I would bet the number of Corvettes purchased outright is significantly higher.
I don't know how many truck/SUV buyers pay cash but here is some info about cash buyers & Vettes:

Report: 40 Percent of Corvette Buyers Pay with Cash
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016...yers-pay-cash/
Old 03-20-2019, 11:39 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
I don't know how many truck/SUV buyers pay cash but here is some info about cash buyers & Vettes:
That is meaningless. I could pay cash for anything I own and more, but I don’t since my invested money is making me more than paying off a loan would save me. I am sure cash buyers are cash buyers. It’s a philosophy they have more than an ability not shared by many other buyers. This is a feel good bragging topic that has been hashed about far too often and has nothing to do with an individuals earning power or net worth.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:39 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

That is meaningless. I could pay cash for anything I own and more, but I don’t since my invested money is making me more than paying off a loan would save me. I am sure cash buyers are cash buyers. It’s a philosophy they have more than an ability not shared by many other buyers. This is a feel good bragging topic that has been hashed about far too often and has nothing to do with an individuals earning power or net worth.
"I pay cash"! or err, ahh, dahh, "I could pay cash"!

Would that include your used 911 that you can not seem to quit blowing your hole about?
Old 03-21-2019, 07:42 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Baller thread...opposing forces should retreat to their safe spaces.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
"I pay cash"! or err, ahh, dahh, "I could pay cash"!

Would that include your used 911 that you can not seem to quit blowing your hole about?
No worries little man. It’s paid for. Could have bought two Corvettes but decided to treat my self to a nice car.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:59 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

No worries little man. It’s paid for. Could have bought two Corvettes but decided to treat my self to a nice car.
Yesiree Bob. and a used one while you belittle and condescend towards Corvette owners on a Corvette board. My God what a loser.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
Yesiree Bob. and a used one while you belittle and condescend towards Corvette owners on a Corvette board. My God what a loser.
Nope it’s only directed at you. As a past Corvette owner and possible new Corvette owner I am well aware you are an exception to the Corvette owners I know. I guess that’s why they call you Punky😏
Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Corvette was never intended to be a car that you will meet every fifth car on the road. It is intentionally a limited production car.
Limited..to the number of units they can sell each year.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:38 AM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Launching when the punch bowl is being taken away...

I agree with a prior post, at the rate they are launching this car, they will likely be at the tail end of this tremendous 10 year cycle in business and fighting economic headwinds! Not great timing! If it is true they were going for a midengine car when the financial crisis of 2008 hit, they squandered ten years to get this car to market during the longest bull market in our country’s history.

I hope they get this this car out soon. I have one on order...
Old 03-24-2019, 09:28 PM
jimmyray
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Laffer curve

Originally Posted by msm859
Not sure I would use the Laffer Curve in this analysis. It proved to be in fact Voodoo Economics. More importantly, there would be no benefit in selling the Corvette below costs so there is a floor. Obviously the snake oil salesmen still selling the Laffer Curve don't believe in a floor and still argue lower taxes will increase revenue.
France-drops-75percent-supertax

So, you believe higher taxes increase revenue?

Last edited by jimmyray; 03-24-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
What world do you live in thinking the C8 will be a little over base C7, the dealers will mark it up into the stratosphere. Just as easy to sell one high then two low.
Initially maybe, but GM has the capacity to build as many as necessary to bring the price down. Dealers did the same thing with the C4 ZR1 30ish years ago, they were selling for $20k over sticker but after 6 months or so they were down to selling at sticker.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 will sell like HOTCAKES at $60k base price

Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmic
+1

It seems that a lot of folks fall prey to comparison pricing of ME cars with very limited production or with exotic materials usage, assuming all ME cars must automatically be expensive to produce... this is simply not true at all.

With a healthy production run, and using similar build and/or interior materials to that of the C7, there is nothing more than perhaps the transaxle that should add any sort of "default" additional cost to produce the base model version.
Couldn't agree more. Also note this is not GMs first ME car, the Fiero was priced well below the corvette of its day. Putting the engine behind the driver did not jack the proce to the stratosphere.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Not much different than the Camaro in content. It's unique to Chevy in that its a two seater but other car lines also have two seat cars that are not halo cars.

C8 will move well at $60K
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

A Camaro ZL1 for $75,000.00 or a ME C8 that looks like a Ferrari for $60,000,00?

I'll get back to you.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:23 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

A Camaro ZL1 for $75,000.00 or a ME C8 that looks like a Ferrari for $60,000,00?

I'll get back to you.
That Camaro ZL1 is a fully tricked out Camaro while the ME C8 is the base model.

Quick Reply: C8 will sell like HOTCAKES at $60k base price