Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 will sell like HOTCAKES at $60k base price

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Agree. Would rather see an entry price of $100k on the C8 with quality and performance to match. Then you would start to get into the higher end AMG and Porche Market. It’s hard to believe that a regular half ton Chevrolet pickup can cost more than their entry level halo car......
Why?

Seriously...why would you want to push the Corvette into a price bracket that there is zero support for? What is the most luxurious car GM makes? The CT6? That maxes out fully optioned in the low $90k range. The Z06 and ZR1 both existed in the $100k range and barely matter to overall sales. Most Z06s are optioned as base 1LZs in the $80k range because that is where the sweet spot is after the huge percentage of sales that make up the $60k-$80k space.

I personally think the $60k starting range is just fine...there are plenty of $60k cars out there that are quite luxurious, pricing at the $100k mark would satisfy only those people who are so brainwashed into believing that a high cost makes things better. If that was the case then why did the Viper sell so poorly? I mean that car was hand built with hand laid carbon fiber parts and a gorgeous fit and finish, but it failed to sell because of brand image.

The best thing GM could do is offer a luxury package in the future, that costs a princely sum so the status nerds who brag among their circle of acquaintances can feel a modicum of superiority over their plebian peers in "base model" Corvettes.

I can never understand all the people that want change for the sake of change...isn't it enough that the C8 is going ME? Do we now have to gouge the fan base and make it a posh garage queen for the status nerds? The Corvette is what it is, an affordable super car slayer that has a few quirks that exist because of the lower price point than say an underpowered P-car (which by the way, is becoming less and less of a driver's car as the models progress).

So give me a lower price point to start with, give me options galore, allow me to make the Corvette of my dreams under $100k and I'll live with a little epoxy curing smell in my car for the first few weeks of ownership (my C7 with the 3LT interior only smelled for a few days once I let it air out with the roof off for a few days in my garage).
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:31 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Why?

Seriously...why would you want to push the Corvette into a price bracket that there is zero support for? What is the most luxurious car GM makes? The CT6? That maxes out fully optioned in the low $90k range. The Z06 and ZR1 both existed in the $100k range and barely matter to overall sales. Most Z06s are optioned as base 1LZs in the $80k range because that is where the sweet spot is after the huge percentage of sales that make up the $60k-$80k space.

I personally think the $60k starting range is just fine...there are plenty of $60k cars out there that are quite luxurious, pricing at the $100k mark would satisfy only those people who are so brainwashed into believing that a high cost makes things better. If that was the case then why did the Viper sell so poorly? I mean that car was hand built with hand laid carbon fiber parts and a gorgeous fit and finish, but it failed to sell because of brand image.

The best thing GM could do is offer a luxury package in the future, that costs a princely sum so the status nerds who brag among their circle of acquaintances can feel a modicum of superiority over their plebian peers in "base model" Corvettes.

I can never understand all the people that want change for the sake of change...isn't it enough that the C8 is going ME? Do we now have to gouge the fan base and make it a posh garage queen for the status nerds? The Corvette is what it is, an affordable super car slayer that has a few quirks that exist because of the lower price point than say an underpowered P-car (which by the way, is becoming less and less of a driver's car as the models progress).

So give me a lower price point to start with, give me options galore, allow me to make the Corvette of my dreams under $100k and I'll live with a little epoxy curing smell in my car for the first few weeks of ownership (my C7 with the 3LT interior only smelled for a few days once I let it air out with the roof off for a few days in my garage).
Well written with many good points. However, while a lower price point is good for all the reasons stated, I feel an increase in base level price would allow some additional funds to invest into the quality of the car. I agree, Corvettes are strong in performance, but not so strong in fit and finish and quality of materials. The C7 was a huge step over prior generations but still falls short of Porsche standards and other more expensive sports cars. If you are unfamiliar with Porsche, I can see where their advertised HP numbers fall short of Corvette HP numbers. However, due to their rear weight bias and superior PDK transmission, a current model 911 will generate performance numbers on par or better than any C7 while at the same time feeling like the more expensive car that they are. Granted the Corvette will beat the 911 with marginally better stopping distances and cornering g forces. As you state, the Corvette is a tremendous performer and head turner for the money. I simply think a modest price increase of $20,000 to the base price would allow GM the ability to offer an even better product without necessarily taking it out of the price point of the majority of new Corvette buyers. GM doesn’t seem to have a problem of escalating their SUV and pick up prices. My new 2019 GMC Sierra had an MSRP of $65K.... which was $11K higher than my exact same equipped 2015. I will be selling my 2016 Yukon Denali that had an MSRP in excess of $77k to buy a new 2020 this summer and I am sure it will appraoch the low $80k range. My point isn’t what I am paying for my GM cars, but rather to draw a reference point to the $55k entry level Corvette. GM sells a ton of pick ups and SUV’s that are far more expensive than a very nice C7......granted they are much more practical. I do applaud GM for taking the risk of building the ME as I believe the FE Corvette is extremely traction limited and the ME will or should be a far superior car if engineered well. If GM can continue to raise the quality piece while keeping the low prices intact that would truly be a wonderful thing!
skank (03-19-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:42 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Will be a premium to base C7

The base c8 corvette will be $6500 to 10,000 at most higher than base c7. I think that pleases GM and new corvette midengine fans!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Pushing the C8 to $100K base kills the car... period. The car will be $60-$65 base. Option it up from there. Supposedly GM is re-vamping the packaging of this car to "standard" and then Grand Tour and Grand Sport, but we shall see if that poster was correct.
Dr. ice (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MagRedConv

Mid-Engined Corvette Could Start At $60K, Platform Issues Persist

Yes, and the easter bunny COULD deliver one to me in a few weeks. As always, nothing to see here.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Agree. Would rather see an entry price of $100k on the C8 with quality and performance to match. Then you would start to get into the higher end AMG and Porche Market. It’s hard to believe that a regular half ton Chevrolet pickup can cost more than their entry level halo car......
So, buy the optioned out one that sells for $100k? I'm confused why you think the base level should be much higher to get options as standard, when you could just choose to purchase the options. And I haven't seen a Silverado go anywhere near the price of a base ZR1.

The Corvette isn't, and has never been, an out of reach to the masses car. Pricing it at nearly double its current base will do exactly that.

Well written with many good points. However, while a lower price point is good for all the reasons stated, I feel an increase in base level price would allow some additional funds to invest into the quality of the car. I agree, Corvettes are strong in performance, but not so strong in fit and finish and quality of materials. The C7 was a huge step over prior generations but still falls short of Porsche standards and other more expensive sports cars. If you are unfamiliar with Porsche, I can see where their advertised HP numbers fall short of Corvette HP numbers. However, due to their rear weight bias and superior PDK transmission, a current model 911 will generate performance numbers on par or better than any C7 while at the same time feeling like the more expensive car that they are. Granted the Corvette will beat the 911 with marginally better stopping distances and cornering g forces. As you state, the Corvette is a tremendous performer and head turner for the money. I simply think a modest price increase of $20,000 to the base price would allow GM the ability to offer an even better product without necessarily taking it out of the price point of the majority of new Corvette buyers. GM doesn’t seem to have a problem of escalating their SUV and pick up prices. My new 2019 GMC Sierra had an MSRP of $65K.... which was $11K higher than my exact same equipped 2015. I will be selling my 2016 Yukon Denali that had an MSRP in excess of $77k to buy a new 2020 this summer and I am sure it will appraoch the low $80k range. My point isn’t what I am paying for my GM cars, but rather to draw a reference point to the $55k entry level Corvette. GM sells a ton of pick ups and SUV’s that are far more expensive than a very nice C7......granted they are much more practical. I do applaud GM for taking the risk of building the ME as I believe the FE Corvette is extremely traction limited and the ME will or should be a far superior car if engineered well. If GM can continue to raise the quality piece while keeping the low prices intact that would truly be a wonderful thing!
They are indeed not big in fit and finish. That is part of the reason why you get cars for $60k that compete with cars performance-wise twice their price. My utterly simple response would be if you want a car with that level of fit and finish as well, go buy the options that already exist.

I'm not sure how much in tune with the average car buyer you are. Your "modest" price increase is nearly the out-the-door cost of a brand new Focus ST that I just bought, and a 33% increase in price from current base levels. That is a lot of money to spend for a bit nicer interior, which I agree giving people an option to buy if they want, but not to force on to anyone that wants a basic car.

As to your points about the trucks and SUVs, yes, some cost the same, but with one gigantic difference: those are vehicles people are buying mainly for daily usage. While I don't doubt some Corvette owners daily their car, they are in the minority. There is a large difference between spending that money on a practical daily use vehicle, and a two seat toy. Also, I would question how many of those $60k trucks/SUVs are bought outright, versus leased and sold later in the low 40s. I would bet the number of Corvettes purchased outright is significantly higher.
Zaro Tundov (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

I know it's not going to happen but one can dream...I would love for this mid engine car to be offered in a stripped down decontented version of the base car like they did with the C5 in 1999 and 2000 with the Hardtop aka FRC model. I don't need or want all the luxury options. Just give me ac, power windows and locks, the updated LT1 or LT2 or whatever they call it and HUD with a basic radio/electronics package and I would be a happy camper. I know I'm dreaming but at $60k that would be a performance bargain.
The following 3 users liked this post by mre1974:
jefnvk (03-19-2019), RapidC84B (03-19-2019), TNBUSA (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:58 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
I know it's not going to happen but one can dream...I would love for this mid engine car to be offered in a stripped down decontented version of the base car like they did with the C5 in 1999 and 2000 with the Hardtop aka FRC model. I don't need or want all the luxury options. Just give me ac, power windows and locks, the updated LT1 or LT2 or whatever they call it and HUD with a basic radio/electronics package and I would be a happy camper. I know I'm dreaming but at $60k that would be a performance bargain.
Agree... I'd buy that in a second.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

How well it sells will have more to do with the economy than the price of the car. When jobs start disappearing (right now we are at the peak of employment which means the only place to go is down) Customers stop buying two seat cars that are not much more than a toy. Some brands don't make it through the down swing. Luckily, Corvette has been popular enough through X many recessions over the decades that it has been one of the two or three brands that survive. We are definitely heading toward a down turn, car sales are falling off due to lower demand. Home sales have started falling off even in some of the hot markets while in others they never caught on. There is a lot of negative pressure on the economy and it won't take much to send it on its way down. Things always look great and like they will continue forever just before the crash.

Bill
Old 03-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
So, buy the optioned out one that sells for $100k? I'm confused why you think the base level should be much higher to get options as standard, when you could just choose to purchase the options. And I haven't seen a Silverado go anywhere near the price of a base ZR1.

The Corvette isn't, and has never been, an out of reach to the masses car. Pricing it at nearly double its current base will do exactly that.

They are indeed not big in fit and finish. That is part of the reason why you get cars for $60k that compete with cars performance-wise twice their price. My utterly simple response would be if you want a car with that level of fit and finish as well, go buy the options that already exist.

I'm not sure how much in tune with the average car buyer you are. Your "modest" price increase is nearly the out-the-door cost of a brand new Focus ST that I just bought, and a 33% increase in price from current base levels. That is a lot of money to spend for a bit nicer interior, which I agree giving people an option to buy if they want, but not to force on to anyone that wants a basic car.

As to your points about the trucks and SUVs, yes, some cost the same, but with one gigantic difference: those are vehicles people are buying mainly for daily usage. While I don't doubt some Corvette owners daily their car, they are in the minority. There is a large difference between spending that money on a practical daily use vehicle, and a two seat toy. Also, I would question how many of those $60k trucks/SUVs are bought outright, versus leased and sold later in the low 40s. I would bet the number of Corvettes purchased outright is significantly higher.
I am not looking for more options, but rather better quality of materials and fit and finish. You are not going to get a Porsche level interior when the Corvette starts at $60k no matter how many options you tack on. This is in large part what you are paying for in upper level cars that is lacking on the Corvette. I never liked the cheap sea of plastic in the C6 and older generations, and this was greatly improved upon for the C7. But more work needs to be done and that costs money.

As to how many DD their Corvettes and 911’s it’s an eye opening percentage. I would have thought the same as you until I have seen recent polls on this forum and Rennlist. Weekend drivers were the minority. Amazing how many people own one of these cars with only one other car.....and their spouse is driving that one to work.

As to leasing.....can’t speak to that since I have never leased a car in my 59 years of life.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-19-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:38 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Why?

Seriously...why would you want to push the Corvette into a price bracket that there is zero support for? What is the most luxurious car GM makes? The CT6? That maxes out fully optioned in the low $90k range. The Z06 and ZR1 both existed in the $100k range and barely matter to overall sales. Most Z06s are optioned as base 1LZs in the $80k range because that is where the sweet spot is after the huge percentage of sales that make up the $60k-$80k space
Pretty much everything above is factually incorrect. Z06s comprise about 30% of C7 production; so to say they barely matter is laughable.

Most ordered Z06 is 3LZ, followed by 2LZ, with 1LZ at 20% or less.

Not many MSRP cars at $60k.

Last they’re selling every loaded ZR produced.

Perhaps that “sweet spot” is where you feel comfortable, but facts say lots of folks comfortable much higher.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:52 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

I found this definition of a “halo car” and I think it sums up the Corvette well nicely:

“A brand’s “halo car” is often the car that brand enthusiasts dream about and drool over. While the car may not have a halo in actuality, it might as well, being the extravagant symbol of a brand’s manufacturing perfection. Halo cars are also typically produced in limited quantities due to the massive resources and precision they require. These cars don’t necessarily represent the standard of the brand, but more so the engineering and imagination a brand can exercise.”

So I would add that the car need not be THE most expensive vehicle produced by the brand. So while it appears that the bread and butter for Chevrolet, and GM, will be for the visible future theor trucks and SUVs with huge mark ups, it really doesn’t matter where they price the Corvette, as long as it sells “like hot cakes” and makes a profit.

I think the C8 will meet the needs of a broad spectrum of buyers if it is offered in base, upscale, and crazy race ready iterations.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
I found this definition of a “halo car” and I think it sums up the Corvette well nicely:

“A brand’s “halo car” is often the car that brand enthusiasts dream about and drool over. While the car may not have a halo in actuality, it might as well, being the extravagant symbol of a brand’s manufacturing perfection. Halo cars are also typically produced in limited quantities due to the massive resources and precision they require. These cars don’t necessarily represent the standard of the brand, but more so the engineering and imagination a brand can exercise.”

So I would add that the car need not be THE most expensive vehicle produced by the brand. So while it appears that the bread and butter for Chevrolet, and GM, will be for the visible future theor trucks and SUVs with huge mark ups, it really doesn’t matter where they price the Corvette, as long as it sells “like hot cakes” and makes a profit.

I think the C8 will meet the needs of a broad spectrum of buyers if it is offered in base, upscale, and crazy race ready iterations.
How in the world is a corvette an "extravagant symbol of a brand's manufacturing perfection?" It is also not "produced in limited quantities due to the massive resources and precision" it requires. A halo car is like the Ford GT or Porsche 918. The corvette is a mass produced sports car, big difference.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Think brand, not market... It is most certainly Chevrolet’s halo car, and many people on this forum use that term pretty freely. Compared to the other Chevrolet products it is most certainly produced in lesser if not limited quantities and involves much more R&D and technology than any other Chevrolet products. Geez, name even a current “GM” halo car other than the Corvette?

Last edited by Red67John; 03-19-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How well it sells will have more to do with the economy than the price of the car. When jobs start disappearing (right now we are at the peak of employment which means the only place to go is down) Customers stop buying two seat cars that are not much more than a toy. Some brands don't make it through the down swing. Luckily, Corvette has been popular enough through X many recessions over the decades that it has been one of the two or three brands that survive. We are definitely heading toward a down turn, car sales are falling off due to lower demand. Home sales have started falling off even in some of the hot markets while in others they never caught on. There is a lot of negative pressure on the economy and it won't take much to send it on its way down. Things always look great and like they will continue forever just before the crash.

Bill
The economy is doing just fine, the price of the C7 hasn't risen, yet the C7 isn't selling worth a ****. Just the opposite of your little speech.

Any idea why?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
Think brand, not market... It is most certainly Chevrolet’s halo car, and many people on this forum use that term pretty freely. Compared to the other Chevrolet products it is most certainly produced in lesser if not limited quantities and involves much more R&D and technology than any other Chevrolet products. Geez, name even a current “GM” halo car other than the Corvette?
GM doesn't have a halo car. Not every manufacturer does. A mass produced sports car is not anywhere near a halo car. There is no way you could call corvette limited production and it in no way pushes the engineering envelope like your definition suggests. Other real halo cars are the McLaren P1, LaFerrari, Valkyrie, etc. They push the engineering envelope and showcase the manufacturers top efforts. The corvette is built with a budget in mind to sell to middle class people, tell me, how does that represent a true halo car? If you believe the corvette is a halo car then so is the Mustang and Miata. If you think the corvette is a halo car then you need to change your definition to just the best performer the brand has to offer in order to get people into your showroom.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 03-19-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:58 PM
.gearhead.
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

People actually buy base models?

Get notified of new replies

To C8 will sell like HOTCAKES at $60k base price

Old 03-19-2019, 06:22 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by .gearhead.
People actually buy base models?
Yes indeed we do. I've had them all 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, 2LZ, 3LZ. Base 1LT is just fine, no problem at all, fantastic car. Sweet spot for me was the level "2". The "3" level in my opinion is just a waste but I really don't need all the cushy soft guy stuff.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The economy is doing just fine, the price of the C7 hasn't risen, yet the C7 isn't selling worth a ****. Just the opposite of your little speech.

Any idea why?
Hey Jose, C7 has done just fine...we’re entering into almost 6 full years of production; declining sales is a phenomenon of any car nearing the end of it’s run.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:27 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
If you believe Don Sherman's base price estimate...

Click here
I would buy one. My only issue is getting of my 2017 Z51 which resale is awful.

Quick Reply: C8 will sell like HOTCAKES at $60k base price