Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 & no response from GM, marketing a new product in the world of social media

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Personally, I think a lot of this is just "click bait" put out there by the media outlets. There is nothing to report, so they create something to report. They are just praying that GM somehow responds to it. If GM were to respond, then, at that point, they would have confirmed the car and thus "announced" it. Besides, even if they did respond, most people would think they were lying about it, or at least minimalizing the truth. People believe what they want to be believe, so what would be the point?

The first time GM says anything about this car is going to be when they are rolling out on a stage somewhere. This is a big deal and they will want to do this on their terms and conditions.
The following 2 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
jimmyb (03-24-2019), jvp (03-22-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:23 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Is anyone else surprised how GM has decided to be silent when it comes to the new C8? I have always thought it was best to be in front of a story and try to control the narrative. Delay talks & frame & rear glass breaking under load is not the positive story I think GM would want on their flagship sports car. Especially when they have not even publicly admitted it’s release. Seems like GM has not realized how fast information travels today in the world of social media, YouTube & forums compared to 10+ years ago when they started testing the C7. This morning I was supervised when my local news was talking about the frame issues and the delays of the new C8. I believe silence is the wrong approach & saying nothing about the new C8 will go down as a miss marketing opportunity. On the other extream, we have companies like Tesla with their CEO reacting instantly on any negative press about Tesla. I wonder if a happy medium would be the better approach for GM when it comes to the release of their flagship sports car.

Hopefully, they will learn for future releases.
There's a difference between getting in front of the "story" (if it is REAL, FACTUAL INFORMATION) and refuting RUMORS on the internet.
GM is doing this exactly the way they should.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:26 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Personally, I think a lot of this is just "click bait" put out there by the media outlets. There is nothing to report, so they create something to report. They are just praying that GM somehow responds to it. If GM were to respond, then, at that point, they would have confirmed the car and thus "announced" it. Besides, even if they did respond, most people would think they were lying about it, or at least minimalizing the truth. People believe what they want to be believe, so what would be the point?

The first time GM says anything about this car is going to be when they are rolling out on a stage somewhere. This is a big deal and they will want to do this on their terms and conditions.

The '"electrical" issue is easy for me to put stock in, electrical stuff is a booger. The frame twisting/cracked backlight is just someone making stuff up for clicks.

PS. The electrical issue was first reported by GM Authority MANY months ago and NO ONE corroborated it (although many COPIED what GM Authority wrote). Now, as we near the release, a few have jumped on the "electrical issue" bandwagon, but have provided the same backup as GMA (NONE). Not to say there is NOT a problem, it is certainly possible. Folks here need to learn the difference between corroboration and some outlet cutting and pasting someone else's story.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-24-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Another "rumor control," - "add your BS" guesses as to where's Waldo (C8) thread.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-24-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:35 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I believe the leaks, the small blurbs about issues causing delays, etc are all preplanned to cause the buzz to escalate. By the time the car is ready to be released, there will be so much buzz that some people will be bursting with excitement, ready to pay list price and above just to be one of the first.

By GM not responding, it just creates more mystery which keeps the hype going even more. It happened with the C6 and not that I was following it at the time, I'm sure the C5 and prior generations to some extent (prior to the internet age).

They still want to sell C7's so it would be foolish to give too much info way ahead of time. By the time the car is ready for purchase (rumored to be by the end of this year) the details will become much clearer.

Last edited by direct007; 03-25-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
I believe the leaks, the small blurbs about issues causing delays, etc are all preplanned to cause the buzz to escalate.
Far to long a delay to be "planned." Creating dealer buying decision issues. Can't be helping work load in BG!

There is a bigger issue. I have speculated but just say there is a bigger issue for GM as it closes plants, diverts most engineering to EV's and it about to launce their "halo car" with a large cid, old tech V8 when some in the car world are introducing equivalent power that includes, a light weight short duration hybrid!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:10 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

It's been well covered here already and I agree with most posters, but I'll add in in this "social media" day, more than ever you don't respond to rumors. Most are not credible. Someone can come on this forum, claim to be an insider and post a "scoop" and that will be picked up and posted elsewhere within hours. GM can't respond to every rumor that shows up, with most being false. If they only respond to the "true" rumors, then you've got an easy way to know true from false.

Look at Apple (and Samsung). Rumors and tech blogs push for every scoop about their new products and close to launch there are daily/hourly updates about what is known, way more than this forum. They don't respond to any of it at all, ever. They simply eventually say "here is what we have, you can buy it on XXX date, and it will be awesome. Thank you very much".

That's the way to do it if you are a leader/have a wanted product. You need a different approach if you are trying to drum up some desire for your product that is not well known.

Last edited by z28lt1; 03-25-2019 at 12:11 PM.