Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking the engine mount broke and it went up and hit the glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts
Default I'm thinking the engine mount broke and it went up and hit the glass

I'm starting to think the engine mount points snapped and the engine went up and broke the glass perhaps.

The reason I say this is, on previous 1000hp car I used to have, i remember having to add an aftermarket engine cradle. The mounting points from the motor mounts to the aluminum engine blocks could fail from the torque created when the car would hook up once in a while. (never happened to me, but happened to others, and i was proactive before i destroyed my engine)

The reason I bring this up is because yesterday I made it pretty clear that I thought the glass breaking this late in the game from "frame distortion" was a lie, (i hope it is, or i think GM is horrible at what they do, and their testing process is horrible)

or i think its an old story brought up to cover up the real problems they are having that they dont want people to know about and "bending frame" and broken glass sounds cooler.

If there is frame bending going on, i dont believe it is breaking the glass, since the glass is suspended. I think its more likely they are breaking the rear ends (transaxles) on the cars since they hook up with better grip than what GM is used to.

However, IF a motor mount broke on a car, and the engine went up and smacked the rear glass and broke it, that is a story that people would talk about and would be repeated. That could easily get twisted into a vague story about how the frame is failing.

I guess a better way for me to word this is, I HOPE it is just motor mounts breaking, and not the frame being so poorly engineered that the car is twisting so much that the rear glass is breaking.

Again, as i have mentioned in other threads, the rear glass is most likely suspended by the vent mesh, so this is like suspending the glass from ropes. This is important for hot to cold, cold to hot scenarios more than it is "frame warping"

There is no doubt in my mind, a 1000hp car with positive grip to the rear wheels, would absolutely break motor mounts, and even break the aluminum engine block at those mounting points.

We used to have these long flat motor mounts that spanned the entire length of the engine. They added weight, but it was better than throwing an iron block into the car.

And while im on that topic, the blocks themselves used to twist and sheer as well, from the torque, and the motor mounts/cradles we used to use would reinforce those engine blocks so they would stay together when we used to take LS aluminum block motors to the moon with turbos back in the day.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-14-2019 at 07:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

I think it may be a possibility. A frame bending that much would break other body panels and parts too.
Mikec7z (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

All this frame bending crap is crap. They put the LT5 in the C4 corvette........ I simply took the top out of my 93 Vette and could feel the flex come on big time. Current frame tech is incredible and the ability to measure deflection of any sort is simply incredible as well.....But glass breakage.....not frame related, not in this time and age.

Last edited by WhiteDiamond; 03-14-2019 at 11:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteDiamond:
bo_knows (03-15-2019), Mikec7z (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Are there actually any pictures of this so called "damage"? All seems like a bunch of fake news.
The following 2 users liked this post by Garret:
jimmyb (03-18-2019), Mikec7z (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:09 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
I think it may be a possibility. A frame bending that much would break other body panels and parts too.
my thoughts exactly. Other parts would get cracked and paint would lift. IF the glass was hard mounted in... MAYBE it would break, but its not hard mounted in. Even the patent shows its not hard mounted in. They broke it long ago, that is either an old story that got brought back to cover the real problem, or like I said, an engine mount or engine block literally broke.
bo_knows (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

If it's a case of a projectile or shrapnel shooting loose, GM's created a monster. No one knows what broke the glass. This's like The Outer Limits.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:34 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Nobody said that this whole frame bending issue occurred recently
Zaro Tundov (03-17-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 05:57 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

c5 was stiff, c6 and 7 more so. The c8 frame is likely not the culprit as they are incredibly strong to handle well with likely the ability to handle the hp

on my old 71 ta, I put 4.88 gears, 454 LS7 style chevy with big solid cam, and sq port heads, and used a joe liberty crash box tranny

I busted the windshield on that old gal with a hard 2nd gear power shift at 7200

with those big gears that car would git it
Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
All this frame bending crap is crap. They put the LT5 in the C4 corvette........ I simply took the top out of my 93 Vette and could feel the flex come on big time. Current frame tech is incredible and the ability to measure deflection of any sort is simply incredible as well.....But glass breakage.....not frame related, not in this time and age.
The C7 frame is much different than my '88 and '93. I'm sure the C8 will be similar to the C7 and unlike older frames were, being shipped to BG by a sub supplier were, for shipping reasons, may have compromises in design, the C7 does not. It's all welded in BG and is reported to be much more ridged than even the C6.

In addition IF when a 1000 hp variant is ready for production a simple material thickness of shape change on a few of the many frame members could offset any extra torque related loads. Easily done when fabricating the frames in BG.

I recall when I went to have my '88 Vette inspected, as required by the State at that time, the local "service station" (yep still had those in 1988) would not put the car on his center post lift to check the exhaust- a requirement. He said he had cracked a Vette windshield because the body twisted when one lift arm contacted first! He recommended a muffler shop that had a drive on lift. Not sure if that was BS as the muffler shop tried to tell me I needed a repair (which I didn't.) Wondered if they got commission for sending folks his way! We no longer have State inspection.

The C7 Aluminum Frame, Welded in BG

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
I'm starting to think the engine mount points snapped and the engine went up and broke the glass perhaps.
Could be. The torque reaction lifting the engine under acceleration would be much greater than on the C7, which has the engine way out on the end of a long torque tube.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

All this frame bending, busted window talk is a bunch of nonsense. These rumors get started and go viral because there is nothing other than fake news. The computer models and design programs currently used would not allow this to happen period. The Porsche humpers and Corvette haters have this last chance to get in their digs. The C8 is a 911 fanboys worst nightmare and it is coming soon, I can't wait.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:12 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
The C7 frame is much different than my '88 and '93. I'm sure the C8 will be similar to the C7 and unlike older frames were, being shipped to BG by a sub supplier were, for shipping reasons, may have compromises in design, the C7 does not. It's all welded in BG and is reported to be much more ridged than even the C6.

In addition IF when a 1000 hp variant is ready for production a simple material thickness of shape change on a few of the many frame members could offset any extra torque related loads. Easily done when fabricating the frames in BG.

I recall when I went to have my '88 Vette inspected, as required by the State at that time, the local "service station" (yep still had those in 1988) would not put the car on his center post lift to check the exhaust- a requirement. He said he had cracked a Vette windshield because the body twisted when one lift arm contacted first! He recommended a muffler shop that had a drive on lift. Not sure if that was BS as the muffler shop tried to tell me I needed a repair (which I didn't.) Wondered if they got commission for sending folks his way! We no longer have State inspection.

The C7 Aluminum Frame, Welded in BG
Jerry, the little service station was accurate about the lift. I grew up at one of those places and I have seen plenty of flex on lifts. The two door American cars in the 60’s and 70’s were big offenders. I read that the C4 was supposed to have t tops and when it was decided to have a hatch the rigidity disappeared. Remember, my C6Z had the hatch bolted in place so not to remove. The Z8 BMW’s have an aluminum frame bending problem. I love Corvettes but some issues are complete BS. My friend’s 911 feels like all of one piece all the time. We can’t do this? Give the die hards a rock solid car without a hatch or retractable top. Nothing feels better than a light weight bank vault.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

^^^
Understand. Yep a metal unit body car can avoid stress on things like windshields easier than a perimeter frame with a separate, non stressed body. However the C7 has quite a bit of structure above the perimeter.

I was surprised when they had the Z06 and especially the ZR1 not come as non-removable roof models. Would not bother me as seldom have the roof off. But it must be a suffceintly ridged frame to deal with the extra torque. Especially in a Vert!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:02 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

I’m thinking you’re thinking too much.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

Frame bending...lmao....no. Tons of computer models have been done, and the stresses are well understood. Like stated, it's likely some sort of failure in a component, engine mount, etc. Frame twisting...sounds like something out of the 70's. Sounds like a very generalized statement for what is likely a very specific problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
Mikec7z (03-17-2019), Zaro Tundov (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Frame bending...lmao....no. Tons of computer models have been done, and the stresses are well understood. Like stated, it's likely some sort of failure in a component, engine mount, etc. Frame twisting...sounds like something out of the 70's. Sounds like a very generalized statement for what is likely a very specific problem.
Honestly it sounds to me like a marketing tactic. I can imagine all the "car guys" at bars have been bullshitting each other about a Corvette engine so powerful it breaks all the windows and twists up the frame like spaghetti. "Dude, the engine is so badass it destroyed their test cars like a beast!"
Old 03-18-2019, 02:27 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z

The reason I say this is, on previous 1000hp car I used to have, i remember having to add an aftermarket engine cradle. The mounting points from the motor mounts to the aluminum engine blocks could fail from the torque created when the car would hook up once in a while. (never happened to me, but happened to others, and i was proactive before i destroyed my engine)

The reason I bring this up is because yesterday I made it pretty clear that I thought the glass breaking this late in the game from "frame distortion" was a lie, (i hope it is, or i think GM is horrible at what they do, and their testing process is horrible)

or i think its an old story brought up to cover up the real problems they are having that they dont want people to know about and "bending frame" and broken glass sounds cooler.

If there is frame bending going on, i dont believe it is breaking the glass, since the glass is suspended. I think its more likely they are breaking the rear ends (transaxles) on the cars since they hook up with better grip than what GM is used to.

However, IF a motor mount broke on a car, and the engine went up and smacked the rear glass and broke it, that is a story that people would talk about and would be repeated. That could easily get twisted into a vague story about how the frame is failing.

I guess a better way for me to word this is, I HOPE it is just motor mounts breaking, and not the frame being so poorly engineered that the car is twisting so much that the rear glass is breaking.

Again, as i have mentioned in other threads, the rear glass is most likely suspended by the vent mesh, so this is like suspending the glass from ropes. This is important for hot to cold, cold to hot scenarios more than it is "frame warping"

There is no doubt in my mind, a 1000hp car with positive grip to the rear wheels, would absolutely break motor mounts, and even break the aluminum engine block at those mounting points.

We used to have these long flat motor mounts that spanned the entire length of the engine. They added weight, but it was better than throwing an iron block into the car.

And while im on that topic, the blocks themselves used to twist and sheer as well, from the torque, and the motor mounts/cradles we used to use would reinforce those engine blocks so they would stay together when we used to take LS aluminum block motors to the moon with turbos back in the day.
or... it was a resonance issue
Mikec7z (03-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To I'm thinking the engine mount broke and it went up and hit the glass

Quick Reply: I'm thinking the engine mount broke and it went up and hit the glass