Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking a logical stab at this electrical issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:50 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
what im saying is, if GM is running a higher voltage system in the car, they could likely accomplish doing so by having a separate circuit, where multiple 12v batteries are ran in series.

This would explain why the people are still trying to use the 12v cables to jump the car... and also explain why GM does not have a 24 or 48v jump box in each car for the folks to use when the cars die.

But your idea of 2 12v batteries would/could explain the problem, if GM does not have it where the 2nd battery can easily be jumped... and it is the one that is the problem for restart, then i would buy that as a feasible situation that aligns with what is going on.
I don't think the architecture would ever have 2 batteries in series because it's harder to regulate charge cycles compared to if they're in parallel... There's not a large benefit of having a 24v line in the manner of having 2 12v batteries in series. It's much more likely they have 48v battery and use DC/DC converter to step down to 12v.

So basically in summary, I think the base model will have 2 12v batteries, similar to the Wrangler, so it can have the start stop tech without adding a bunch of complexity/weight. If one of them dies or is weak, it drags down the other 12v battery with it (assuming this is setup the same as the Wrangler).. thus when you go to start it again, there is not enough current to turn over the motor. If you try jumping it, you have the load of 2 batteries, the car circuits, and the starter all dragging down on the jumper source which is harder than a standard car. One way around this is a switch to remove the 12v auxiliary battery from the car's circuit temporarily so you can jump the car and at least get it running

However, if it is true that all c8 variants for sure will have some sort 48v system, maybe every c8 will have a 48v battery in the floor of the front. And then use DC/DC converter to step down to 12v supply line, instead of having an actual 12v battery. If they didn't have a 12v battery at all, then I guess on theory they could have "jumper posts" in the frunk designed to accept 12v jumpers, and the DC/DC converter box step that up to 48v for the rest of the car's circuits. If this was the case, jumping the car from a dead stop might have issues if they have issues with the DC/DC converter design...

Given all these documents online about the Delphi system and whatnot, I have a feeling the c8 is going to be some mixture of 2x 12v batteries OR a 12v battery + 48v battery + DC/DC converter... IMO

Also worth mentioning, anytime you design a new product that is a system of sub-systems, heritage of components is important. Cars have been 12v forever, so I can't see them completely abandoning the things that run on 12v. Like look at the heritage of the LS style V8 motors... Over time they get tweaked and each time add slightly new features, it's incremental. If you try changing too much at once, it is very hard to integrate the system and not run into some surprises. So with that said, I think it's likely the c8 will still have a conventional 12v battery in there somewhere

Last edited by mammoth713; 03-22-2019 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Taking a logical stab at this electrical issue...