Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking a logical stab at this electrical issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:57 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

well, at least we had a good conversation instead of people who say "you;re wrong" with no explanation, one after another, and then others chime in and start talking about airplanes. Cant make this stuff up.

Thank you for the good chat. I edited the last post too, check it out again.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-21-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:44 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
I have worked on plane control boxes and I would be thoroughly surprised if boeing didn't have more redundancy with the whole AOA sensors and supporting software or whatever...
I have a hard time believing it myself (32 years as a flight control system SW engineer), but from what I've read, that's exactly what Boeing did. And the worse part is, they have dual redundancy AoA sensors available, they just didn't use them (this is part of the software fix they're frantically working to get certified now). Also they didn't put any limits on the amount of control authority the system has. It started that way (which is probably why they only used one sensor, the system didn't have enough authority to crash the plane), but flight testing tweaked the system into the disaster they have on their hands right now.

One other thing I just learned: the crew on the 2nd plane that crashed were scheduled to receive the updated training but hadn't. So they didn't know how to shut down the trim system.

So, bad design + Boeing initially saying no additional training was needed + not getting the training after things went south with Lion Air = 169 more people paying the price.

This engineering stuff can get serious at times.

Have a good one,
Mike
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 09:53 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Well this went long quick. Uh for the record, any vehicle I've driven I've tested removing the battery completely while running and it continues on fine. Granted some of them are now 10 years old but it did work so...

Anyway, it was mentioned that perhaps the 12v side was drained in conjunction with the 48v side. I can see that. That being said, engine management is more than likely on 12v and everything else is probably on 48v. Just makes sense that way imo (and appears to have been said).

I would now like to throw something new into the ring, GM F***ed up the ignition switches again. For whatever reason that seems to be an ongoing issue for them. I know I've had new vehicles where they just randomly locked up and you couldn't turn the key. Granted these cars probably have push button... so maybe the fob pings an antenna on the 48v side and because the juice is low nothing?
Mikec7z (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 12:05 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Well this went long quick. Uh for the record, any vehicle I've driven I've tested removing the battery completely while running and it continues on fine. Granted some of them are now 10 years old but it did work so...

Anyway, it was mentioned that perhaps the 12v side was drained in conjunction with the 48v side. I can see that. That being said, engine management is more than likely on 12v and everything else is probably on 48v. Just makes sense that way imo (and appears to have been said).
That is how most 48V hybrids I've worked with are. The 48V battery can be fully charged, but if the 12V is dead the car isn't starting. All you need to do is get it started, and the 48V will take over with stepped down power. The opposite is not true, however, the car can generally operate just fine with the 48V dead and the 12V functional.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Granted these cars probably have push button... so maybe the fob pings an antenna on the 48v side and because the juice is low nothing?
Exactly, the possibility of gizmo's that are needed for the car to start, that are powered by the 48v side, are numerous.

That's why i feel like GM could have easily overlooked the reality that if the 48v side is too low, it will create a problem... they all assumed the 12v side could be jumped and away the car would go. I don't think that is the case... on these test cars anyway.

They will just have to switch certain components back to the 12v side if this is indeed what the problem is on the test cars. Time will tell... and that's assuming GM ever admits what the problem actually was, and tells the truth.

its not to their benefit to disclose a prior known weakness, as then the public will test that weakness over and over to see if it is fixed, and/or check if any compromises were made as it was fixed in a hurry by GM to meet reveal/production deadlines.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-21-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:34 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Exactly, the possibility of gizmo's that are needed for the car to start, that are powered by the 48v side, are numerous.

That's why i feel like GM could have easily overlooked the reality that if the 48v side is too low, it will create a problem... they all assumed the 12v side could be jumped and away the car would go. I don't think that is the case... on these test cars anyway.

They will just have to switch certain components back to the 12v side if this is indeed what the problem is on the test cars. Time will tell... and that's assuming GM ever admits what the problem actually was, and tells the truth.

its not to their benefit to disclose a prior known weakness, as then the public will test that weakness over and over to see if it is fixed, and/or check if any compromises were made as it was fixed in a hurry by GM to meet reveal/production deadlines.
I'm telling you there's no way in hell they would design the system with that type of flaw, this late in the integration cycle...

It's far more likely to be reliability of a DC/DC converter box, wonky various modules on the 12v that talk to each other, or something stupid like faulty 12v battery or 12v alternator...

Power converters and stuff like that usually are a weak link in electrical reliability of a system... (Generally speaking)

I think you're really drawing wild conclusions...

Also, GM does not give me the impression they rush to release products, it seems if there is a major problem, they push out a major release. (Unlike FCA). I could see FCA having some huge miss on some issue like what you're describing tho lol... Go read jeep forums

Last edited by mammoth713; 03-21-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Mikec7z (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

okay, so assuming you are right... how can we tie this to a gas station fillup then, because that is the common denominator.

The cars have to be shut off other places around town... at lunch spots, at times when they all pull over together when they are in their big groups....

lets solve why it happened 2 for 2 at gas pumps. Low fuel... or the surrounding scenarios that accompany a car that is out of gas... perhaps it was on for 2 or 3 hours straight... so how does that play into what you are saying?

... and the bigger puzzle... why didnt GM find it at their test sites first, and why would they send cars out into the real world if they knew the cars had this problem... without fixing it first?

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-22-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

also, throwing out another angle to my point... (and the reason i continue to have my pov is because IF the 12v system were the problem, THEN the jumper cables would have solved the problem)

so... lets go with what you said... the antennas. Lets say the antennas and the software to help them understand what signals they are are receiving, lets say that software happens to be in a computer/controller/etc, and it is connected to the 48v network, or it is connected to other devices that are part of this 48v network, and part of making the car start is for the car to "sense" all of these modules and controllers, etc, etc, are all online prior to starting, because GM wants to make sure there are not middleman hacking devices hypothetically inserted into the new global b can system

(again, they are worried about hackers taking over their autonomous cars, so they are trying to create a bullet proof system)

What happens when the engineers accidentally linked something, to something else in the software and network programming, and the 48v being low is detrimental for the car to start without those communications happening as hoped?

Again, if the 12v side being low was the problem, jumper cables would fix it. My gut says the 48v side is low, and in being such, something is screwed up at initial ignition unlock. (keep in mind, you might be able to start your car with your phone soon, and all of that would likely be tied into the gm global b can system... and some of that has to be running on 48 v... otherwise, why go to a 48v system in the first place?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

and i guess that is the best question right now... you seem to imply everything is going to be running on the 12v system.

Fact is, GM has a 48v system in the car, its been leaked i thought at this point, maybe im wrong... but if there is a 48v system in the car, and the car is pure ICE, no electric motors, then please, help me understand, what could possibly use the 48v, and prove to me that short list of things, is worth GM going to a 48v system.... for just those few things.

you see what im saying?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

New Battery..$425.00
Mikec7z (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:02 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

and i guess that is the best question right now... you seem to imply everything is going to be running on the 12v system.

Fact is, GM has a 48v system in the car, its been leaked i thought at this point, maybe im wrong... but if there is a 48v system in the car, and the car is pure ICE, no electric motors, then please, help me understand, what could possibly use the 48v, and prove to me that short list of things, is worth GM going to a 48v system.... for just those few things.

you see what im saying?
i have no idea what point you are trying to make at this point. you seem to be playing devils advocate to every side. just being honest
Old 03-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i dont blindly agree with him that the 12v system will run all the electronics in the car in its new Global B Can network of sensors and encryption that all communicate with each other.

If the 12v system did all of that, then why even have a 48v system in the car at all?

So, while he is telling me im wrong, rather than just spit back at him "no, youre wrong", im trying to keep a logical discussion going until either he agrees with me, or I agree with him, and right now he and I have not reached that point obviously... but I do believe he is intelligent and i do believe 2 minds are better than 1, so im not against him per se, im simply against ideas that I dont find logical.

To say nothing on the 48v system (should the car have one, which many have said it does) is needed to respond properly for the car to start up happy, i think is a bit far fetched. I personally could see GM anticipating that the 48v side will always be charged due to the alternator always charging it, and the 48v side is not needed to turn over the engine or run the headlights or taillights, so there is no logical reason it should ever go dead... in their first plans for the car.

But then... things evolved, and things changed, and now they have a pickle because there are potentially scenarios where the alternator does not charge the 48v side while the car is being driven.

Or lets say he is right, a power transformer has gone bad... okay... but the 48v side not being charged is still the problem, or else jumper cables on the 12v side should start the car.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-21-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:41 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

i dont blindly agree with him that the 12v system will run all the electronics in the car in its new Global B Can network of sensors and encryption that all communicate with each other.

If the 12v system did all of that, then why even have a 48v system in the car at all?

So, while he is telling me im wrong, rather than just spit back at him "no, youre wrong", im trying to keep a logical discussion going until either he agrees with me, or I agree with him, and right now he and I have not reached that point obviously... but I do believe he is intelligent and i do believe 2 minds are better than 1, so im not against him per se, im simply against ideas that I dont find logical.

To say nothing on the 48v system (should the car have one, which many have said it does) is needed to respond properly for the car to start up happy, i think is a bit far fetched. I personally could see GM anticipating that the 48v side will always be charged due to the alternator always charging it, and the 48v side is not needed to turn over the engine or run the headlights or taillights, so there is no logical reason it should ever go dead... in their first plans for the car.

But then... things evolved, and things changed, and now they have a pickle because there are potentially scenarios where the alternator does not charge the 48v side while the car is being driven.

Or lets say he is right, a power transformer has gone bad... okay... but the 48v side not being charged is still the problem, or else jumper cables on the 12v side should start the car.
lol ok slow down..

you keep mentioning jumper cables.. there was evidence the tow truck driver tried jumping it w/ 12v jumper cables?

If yes, then that would tell me there is still a 12v component to the corvette's electrical system, given it's a GM employed tow truck driver...

yes?
Old 03-22-2019, 02:55 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...trical-system/

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-mid-e...gas-1833296525

There are the consensuses on what happened.

It says that multiple GM engineers worked to try to get the car started for over half an hour.

When multiple GM engineers tried on the first car, they used cables.

We don't know on the second car, as people were lame at taking videos or pictures of them attempting to fix it.

We do know that both cars died AT THE PUMP.

I dont think the tow trick driver did anything more than hook up to the car and take it home. If engineers cant get it started, he is probably ordered not to waste his time.

Im not doubting that there is not a 12v system, im doubting that the 48v system runs as few components as you would like to pretend. It makes no logical sense to impliment a 48v system into the car, and not use that system to run the new global b can system with that 48v system.... imo.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-22-2019 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:40 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...trical-system/

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-mid-e...gas-1833296525

There are the consensuses on what happened.

It says that multiple GM engineers worked to try to get the car started for over half an hour.

When multiple GM engineers tried on the first car, they used cables.

We don't know on the second car, as people were lame at taking videos or pictures of them attempting to fix it.

We do know that both cars died AT THE PUMP.

I dont think the tow trick driver did anything more than hook up to the car and take it home. If engineers cant get it started, he is probably ordered not to waste his time.

Im not doubting that there is not a 12v system, im doubting that the 48v system runs as few components as you would like to pretend. It makes no logical sense to impliment a 48v system into the car, and not use that system to run the new global b can system with that 48v system.... imo.
I have been reading up a lot on the jeep wrangler engine configurations (because I might buy one).. and they have start/stop w/ the v6 (which has 2 12v batteries), and then there is the turbo 4cyl + 12v battery + 48v battery?..

To address your one comment tho about both mules dying at gas stations.. Apparently the jeep wrangler has an issue with it's setup where it has the 2 12v batteries (where if both die, you might have trouble starting the car). 1 is for starting the car, and 1 is an auxiliary batt for when the car shuts off @ a stop light.. Let's say the aux battery is low on charge, and doesnt take a charge that great (is old or defective), it will slowly drain the main 12v battery (because they are essentially wired in parallel with eachother under nominal driving conditions, or atleast w/ the jeep configuration). And then both batteries will be dead. In this theoretical example, they could have been driving the c8 on the alternator power w/ a weak set of 12v batteries and then once the car is shut off, there is not enough juice to turn over the motor.

for a 48v system, similar to what I said above, but you'd need a DC/DC converter/control box between the 48v battery and the 12v battery.. but a similar thing could probably happen where there are parasitic draws that lower the 12v battery to where it cant turn over the car once the car is stopped.

This is a graphic I found on the jeep wrangler forum.. idk. Maybe the c8 electrical system will be similar to this----->

Notice the components the graphic lists under 12v vs 48v line voltages..

Last edited by mammoth713; 03-22-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Mikec7z (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:46 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

off topic, but i still think its amazing that the auto manufacturers all made hybrid diesels off limits and the masses smiled and said, "thats okay, i like paying twice as much for fuel and having half as much torque". They would get 120mpg with no issue...

And Boeings wreck...

Alright, back on topic

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-22-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:52 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

BTW - the more I thought about it, and after the more I read about the new JL wrangler... I think the new corvette is ATLEAST going to have the stop/start system w/ the 2 12v batteries like the wrangler... Since they will likely have the base model have the v8 and need the slightly better mpg for whatever regulations

So, with that said... I could see

base model: 2x 12v batteries + N/A V8 (with the stop/start)
upgraded model: twin turbo + some kind of mild hybrid 48v setup with maybe the front wheels have electric motors?

idk

There was spy footage from a while ago of one of the mules taking off away from the camera man, but fairly close, and I swore I heard a faint electric motor sound from the mule.. but obviously it's hard to tell from footage like that

Last edited by mammoth713; 03-22-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Mikec7z (03-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Taking a logical stab at this electrical issue...

Old 03-22-2019, 04:02 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

theres an electric fwd system coming, thats a given at this point. Its been confirmed by many insiders in respected interviews. Even the Aria (family previously involved with corvette design) they spilled the beans that an lt5 or turbo like power plant in the back and EV motors in the front.

its going to happen, no question.

What i dont think people realize yet is, porsche has a carerra 4 and a 4s and then the turbo.

Why wouldn't GM do the same? People want AWD... and current vettes suck in the snow and rain. If i can have AWD, vette becomes more practical (and mpg and fuel tank range increases)

so, onto your 2 12v batteries... you are saying they run them in series and make 24v maybe that way for certain things? thats cool. I guess 4 batteries could get us to 48v... but i guess 24v is better than 12 at least. That would fix our fuel pump issues
Old 03-22-2019, 04:10 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

theres an electric fwd system coming, thats a given at this point. Its been confirmed by many insiders in respected interviews. Even the Aria (family previously involved with corvette design) they spilled the beans that an lt5 or turbo like power plant in the back and EV motors in the front.

its going to happen, no question.

What i dont think people realize yet is, porsche has a carerra 4 and a 4s and then the turbo.

Why wouldn't GM do the same? People want AWD... and current vettes suck in the snow and rain. If i can have AWD, vette becomes more practical (and mpg and fuel tank range increases)

so, onto your 2 12v batteries... you are saying they run them in series and make 24v maybe that way for certain things? thats cool. I guess 4 batteries could get us to 48v... but i guess 24v is better than 12 at least. That would fix our fuel pump issues
Nah with the 12v it's 2 12v batteries in parallel which is still 12v.. it's just they are both connected together when you go to start the car.. and at a stop light, engine shuts off, the auxiliary 12v supports the radio (main battery is not connected in circuit, to preserve the charge to start the car again), etc.. until the big, main 12v turns the engine over again

I will post a picture tomorrow if I get a chance

Last edited by mammoth713; 03-22-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

what im saying is, if GM is running a higher voltage system in the car, they could likely accomplish doing so by having a separate circuit, where multiple 12v batteries are ran in series.

This would explain why the people are still trying to use the 12v cables to jump the car... and also explain why GM does not have a 24 or 48v jump box in each car for the folks to use when the cars die.

But your idea of 2 12v batteries would/could explain the problem, if GM does not have it where the 2nd battery can easily be jumped... and it is the one that is the problem for restart, then i would buy that as a feasible situation that aligns with what is going on.

Quick Reply: Taking a logical stab at this electrical issue...