Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 reveal idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Was that an insult? Never mind, I've learned enough from several other of your postings to no longer respond to your taunts.

In another thread on this forum you quoted me, then rewrote my post making it appear to be my words. That was removed by a moderator because you violated forum rules. It was also juvenile and fraudulent.

This is my last response to you.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-18-2019 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1983JZR3W (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Was that in insult?
No, why?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
How about this (with no chance of offending ANYONE):

Bowling Green does NOT have the infrastructure for a reveal of this magnitude. Not enough restaurants, not enough hotels, etc.
No, but when combined with Nashville(an hour drive away by an Interstate highway) there are plenty of hotel rooms and restaurant tables.

Have you ever been to Bowling Green? I've been about 6 or 7 times and I've had no problems getting a top rated(by trip Advisor) motel room or finding an empty table at a nearby restaurant.

Bowling Green has ~45 motels and ~226 restaurants. Nashville has ~232 motels and ~1,176 restaurants.

That would around 17,000+ motel rooms and 70,000+ restaurant seats.

It doesn't take a couple thousand "journalist' to cover such an event.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-18-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Was that an insult? Never mind, I've learned enough from several other of your postings to no longer respond to your taunts.

In another thread on this forum you quoted me, then rewrote my post making it appear to be my words. That was removed by a moderator because you violated forum rules. It was also juvenile and fraudulent.

This is my last response to you.
Good. It was not removed by the way. You keep on saying that I cant take a joke, yet you call that "fraudulent"?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:50 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

As exciting as it would be for Corvette fanatics, a BG reveal is not an effective media strategy. For maximum impact, it needs to occur in a major metro area that won't have difficulty attracting max media coverage. The number of stories written is highly correlated with the number of journalists present. Not nearly as many will travel to a small town in a rural area to cover a car reveal.

Even if GM stages it's own event to reveal and doesn't go the major car show route, that event needs to be in a very large media center like NYC. In a big media center, it wouldn't just be automotive press present, it would also include a large number of journalists from mainstream media outlets.

For example, for the last several years, both the "Today Show" on NBC, and "CBS This Morning" have covered the NYC auto show live on-air.

Now GM could do the same thing at BGA to tickle the fancies of Corvette fans, but it should occur AFTER the major media reveal.
Originally Posted by Red67John
If Chevrolet wants the worldwide media present, wherever they unveile the C8, they will simply have their media people do a press release 7-10 days out, which is customary for publicizing an event. The automotive media will be there in full-force, even in little ole Bowling Green.

It could definitely take place at the NCM. I don’t know that it will, but it could prove to be as exciting a venue as any other.

As far as the attendees... yeah, there will be a microcosm of true Corvette enthusiasts at the NCM. All shapes, sizes and ages, races, and levels of wealth, wearing comfortable clothes for a mostly outdoor event. But these are obviously the market that Chevrolet will need to impress first.

A couple years ago, my wife I attended all of the big buck events at Monterey Car Week; McCall’s Motorworks Revival (VIP tickets) the Quail, and Pebble beach. Tickets for each of those events are hundreds of dollars per person. That is, I’m sure, in part to keep the riffraf out. Well we fooled them and we bucked up and got into each event. And, guess what, although I was in khakis and a polo, there was Jay Leno at the Quail in his chambray shirt and blue jeans, no flip flops though.

It’s about the car, stupid! Yeah, Chevrolet, do it at the Museum/Plant/MotorsportsPark.
Originally Posted by Supermassive
I have to agree with Mschuyler on this one even though I really want to do the Bash someday. The word that we need to think about is "optics". He it this on the head pretty accurately, and since the Corvette is still viewed as an old man mid life crisis car, optics for a reveal like this is extremely important. The average buyer will likely not change much, but GM would want to appeal to a more "youthful" audience. We all know that younger people likely can't afford to buy a Corvette brand new, but GM needs to generate interest in a younger audience to benefit from the "halo car" effect.

A reveal at NYIAS would be much more beneficial to GM as the car would simply steal the show at the largest car show in the US and arguably the world. It would eclipse any other car revealed at the show because it is a) a new Corvette and b) a mid-engine Corvette. Honestly, Porsche could reveal a mid engine 911 and it would be a blip in the news compared to the change for Corvette. Revealing at the Bash would do none of that, it would have very little in the way of direct impact in auto news because it would be revealed alone with nothing to contrast it against other than previous generation Vettes. Then there is the Bash itself, which I believe would be a lot of fun to go to, but is the wrong "look" for a worldwide reveal. Porsche has never revealed a new generation 911 at a car meet, they reveal variants but not full on generational changes.

So while Mschuyler might be a bit more direct about the issue, I have to side with his idea that the NCM Bash is not a good venue for a brand new generational introduction of the Corvette. So yeah the image that he references is certainly fine for a meet, but not really suitable for a reveal as important as the C8.
All good points and arguments and personally I’m disappointed it won’t be on display in NYC this Spring thus would have to be revealed before then. That has to happen first. And probably not revealed at the BASH either, but....?

So, with that IMO the ME has to be revealed this year, somewhere, before the Summer Car Show Season as this is getting very long toothed. After the reveal, most of us Corvette Enthusiasts will find some way, somewhere it experience it and hopefully get into one. This Year before the Corvette winter recess. Most reasonable people will need that prior to actually buying one.

For me and the ‘14 C7 it was at a little Corvette car 2013 Summer show in Annapolis, MD where anyone could get close and into one C7 Vert. No ropes just a hands on experience. A much better personal experience than when I attended the NYC Auto Show earlier that same year.

Next up up for me was Corvettes at Carlisle where it was the new C7 Heaven with most all colors coupes and verts. For others I’d expect they’d look for shows closer to home than me in Pennsylvania..

P.S. Got my ‘14 C7 11/03/2013.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 03-18-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
All good points and arguments and personally I’m disappointed it won’t be on display in NYC this Spring thus would have to be revealed before then. That has to happen first. And probably not revealed at the BASH either, but....?

So, with that IMO the ME has to be revealed this year, somewhere, before the Summer Car Show Season as this is getting very long toothed. After the reveal, most of us Corvette Enthusiasts will find some way, somewhere it experience it and hopefully get into one. This Year before the Corvette winter recess. Most reasonable people will need that prior to actually buying one.

For me and the ‘14 C7 it was at a little Corvette car Summer show in Annapolis, MD where anyone could get close and into one C7 Vert. No ropes just a hands on experience. A much better personal experience than when I attended the NYC Auto Show earlier that same year.

Next up up for me was Corvettes at Carlisle where it was the new C7 Heaven with most all colors coupes and verts. For others I’d expect they’d look for shows closer to home than me in Pennsylvania..
I wasn't at the Detroit show in Jan, 2013 to see the C7, but I did see it at the spring NASCAR race at the Talladega Super Speedway. BUT, before I saw it in person, I had seen tons of photos, and read all the specs etc on the Internet.

No matter where the C8 reveal takes place, it will be months before it will be available to purchase. Even if one doesn't see the first reveal, there will be plenty of time to digest just what the car is before you decide whether to buy one, or not.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Exactly, you do a big, glitzy, media splash in a place like NYC, which starts the buzz with a lot of stories, put out a lot of photos, let the car mags test it, then it goes on tour at places like the Bash and other car gatherings before they start showing up at dealers. That's about a 6-8 month process. During that period, the order book starts filling up, much more so than those who are getting their names on a list for a car not yet seen.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-18-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:05 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I wasn't at the Detroit show in Jan, 2013 to see the C7, but I did see it at the spring NASCAR race at the Talladega Super Speedway. BUT, before I saw it in person, I had seen tons of photos, and read all the specs etc on the Internet.

No matter where the C8 reveal takes place, it will be months before it will be available to purchase. Even if one doesn't see the first reveal, there will be plenty of time to digest just what the car is before you decide whether to buy one, or not.
That makes sense to meet your personal level of being informed. I get it. For me I just had to set in one before deciding. Research, I also did like you. One thing I didn’t need was to drive one first. Never had too in any new Corvette I bought. For others a drive in a new to them Corvette is mandatory especially with this radical of a change going to the ME. I have faith.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Exactly, you do a big, glitzy, media splash in a place like NYC, which starts the buzz with a lot of stories, put out a lot of photos, let the car mags test it, then it goes on tour at places like the Bash and other car gatherings before they start showing up at dealers. That's about a 6-8 month process. During that period, the order book starts filling up, much more so than those who are getting their names on a list for a car not yet seen.

SO, GM are you with us! The calendar is ticking.......... NY or Bust! (Other soon events acceptable)
John T (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 02:26 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
That is not being offended though. That is telling a grown man to stop acting like a 5 year old that is insulting people for no reason. Apparently you have reading issues too.
I never insulted any individual like you have. You are just butt hurt that I called out your "idea" of a reveal that has so many problems that it couldn't be done on logistics alone. You continue to call me names without providing ANY justification for Picnic Reveal. Your "idea' CAN'T BE DONE logistically and SHOULDN'T be done from a marketing perspective. You have yet to provide any sort of justification. Fortunately, it's just a pipe dream on your part. If the bell bottom shirt crowd is "offended" at my remarks, I wear whatever epitaph they can conjure up proudly, because that is basically all they an muster. These are NOT the people GM should be concentrating on if they want the C8 to be a success. I quite recognize that you don't understand that

Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I never insulted any individual like you have. You are just butt hurt that I called out your "idea" of a reveal that has so many problems that it couldn't be done on logistics alone. You continue to call me names without providing ANY justification for Picnic Reveal. Your "idea' CAN'T BE DONE logistically and SHOULDN'T be done from a marketing perspective. You have yet to provide any sort of justification. Fortunately, it's just a pipe dream on your part. If the bell bottom shirt crowd is "offended" at my remarks, I wear whatever epitaph they can conjure up proudly, because that is basically all they an muster. These are NOT the people GM should be concentrating on if they want the C8 to be a success. I quite recognize that you don't understand that
My goodness.

Have you ever considered taking one of those Dale Carnegie courses? You really should.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
My goodness.

Have you ever considered taking one of those Dale Carnegie courses? You really should.
The best part is, after insulting several people, the old man then tries to cover it up, deny it, and call me "butthurt" as if it is 2016.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
That makes sense to meet your personal level of being informed. I get it. For me I just had to set in one before deciding. Research, I also did like you. One thing I didn’t need was to drive one first. Never had too in any new Corvette I bought. For others a drive in a new to them Corvette is mandatory especially with this radical of a change going to the ME. I have faith.
I did get to sit in the C7 at Talladega.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Like many on here, I've been fortunate and been to BG many times. While BG and surrounds have everything to hold and feed people, it may not, and probably will not be the place for the actual, first-ever revealing of the new C8 Corvette ME. I think all the arguments against that location above are valid, however they may be worded.

Even tho we all know that the "journalists" are not really trained journalism-majors who graduated with that degree, the "writers" (which is a more accurate term) will revel amongst themselves at a location such as NYC or Boston or Chicago---even freezing Detroit in the heart of winter. Spring is almost here and Summer comes next. For some places north of the Mason-Dixon, Summer can be short, or shorter than Texas and Florida. So, I'm hoping the reveal is at least by the end of Summer or early Fall.

I also agree that whenever the car finally comes out from camo and hiding, there will an elapsed time for at least 4 months before the first one rolls off the line. Maybe I'm wrong on that one tho.

I can hardly wait to go tour the BG Plant again when it reopens for tours! That, to me, would be almost as good as owning a C8!!! Hmm, almost....
Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

No, but when combined with Nashville(an hour drive away by an Interstate highway) there are plenty of hotel rooms and restaurant tables.

Have you ever been to Bowling Green? I've been about 6 or 7 times and I've had no problems getting a top rated(by trip Advisor) motel room or finding an empty table at a nearby restaurant.

Bowling Green has ~45 motels and ~226 restaurants. Nashville has ~232 motels and ~1,176 restaurants.

Bowling Green, Kentucky is backwoods rural. An hour from Nashville, TN. Nobody but the faithful travel to Bowling Green. Grenada, Mississippi exit on I-55 has more active businesses than the GM Plant. The
biggest attraction other than NCM, is the Waffle House. Yes, I've been there.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mschuyler
And that's a problem right there. God, I hope they don't do this. Thousands of old Corvette geezers in shorts and flip flops showing off their beer bellies and varicose veins, gals with their sun visor hats crammed over their perms, all craning their necks for a look at the C8 under a tent in the NCM parking lot. The place will look like the County Fairgrounds. Kids with cotton candy stuck all over their faces. Guys burping cans of Mountain Dew, and the announcer in the distance congratulating Billy Bob for a successful Bronco Busting run on Black Thunder. Ee, haw!

Not exactly a Class Act.
It would be grotesque and incomprehensible as to why GM would do such a moronic disaster as you've outlined.....

Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

I'm talking about the insults you insulting other people with. .
Do you have trouble reading old man?
Where are the exact alleged insults??????

..You just insulted mschuyler!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C8 reveal idea

Old 03-19-2019, 11:13 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Where are the exact alleged insults??????

..You just insulted mschuyler!!!
Oh NO!!! What a tragedy. You can go look through the thread. Not wasting my time pointing them out to you.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Oh NO!!! What a tragedy. You can go look through the thread. Not wasting my time pointing them out to 0you.
BS 0artist ^^^^
BlueDevlZ06 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Yes...I've been to Bowling Green. I went to see the plant and museum. There is NO other reason for me to visit Bowling Green. No, it is not exactly a dining/amenity type town (nothing wrong with that). However....When guys like Audi are showing off new cars to journalists in PORTUGAL..... Corvette deserves similar treatment.
And the operative word is "motel" room.

Not to pile on Bowling Green, Ky, but here are 2016 facts and figures....
https://datausa.io/profile/geo/bowling-green-ky/

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-20-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: C8 reveal idea