Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 reveal idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 10:12 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts
Default C8 reveal idea

According to several news publications, the C8 will likely be revealed at the NCM during the summer. I think it would be a good idea to have the media go on a tour through the NCM to get a walkthrough of Corvette history, then go over the NCM Motorsports Park to the track. Have a C8 with a cover on it almost ready to be unveiled. Then, a few C8s go flying by on the track! They do a lap, then pull up along the C8 that was sitting there, then the cover gets pulled off of it and then they do the reveal of all the info. Then, everybody can get up close to the car and make their videos. And the whole event is being live streamed. I think this would be a great reveal idea because it would give an overview of Corvette history, and add a nice touch to the C8 reveal and would blow the 992 911 reveal out of the water!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Nice idea. The 911 roll out was pretty cool but the Museum could find a way to kick it up a notch.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-17-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:22 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red67John
Nice idea. The 911 roll out was pretty cool but the Museum could find a way to kick it up a notch.
Thanks. I agree, the 911 reveal was pretty good.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

And it starts factory tours back up at the same time. I like it....
Old 03-16-2019, 11:17 PM
warhawkmcdaniel
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts

How about tow trucks pulling covered cars.They tow them around the track under cover then drop them revealing a Blue StingRay,an Orange Vert,Red Z06 and Black Zora.

Might as well have some fun with a bad day.

Last edited by warhawkmcdaniel; 03-16-2019 at 11:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GundamX7X (03-17-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by warhawkmcdaniel
How about tow trucks pulling covered cars.They tow them around the track under cover then drop them revealing a Blue StingRay,Red Z06 and Black Zora.

Might as well have some fun with a bad day.
Huh? They're not going to reveal the entire model line at once. You don't make any sense.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:28 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

G f i

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 03-16-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:15 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

This gave me chills and needs to happen.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:14 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

All I can say is that those of us going to the NCM 25th Anniversary Homecoming in August are keeping our fingers crossed . . . and there are many thousands of us.
Tally Ho (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:57 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Then, a few C8s go flying by on the track! They do a lap, then pull up along the C8 that was sitting there, then the cover gets pulled off of it and then they do the reveal of all the info.”

I’m assuming you meant C7s go flying by on the track. Wouldn’t make any sense to have uncovered C8s on the track pull up to a cover C8 getting ready to be unrevealed.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 AM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dreamr616
Then, a few C8s go flying by on the track! They do a lap, then pull up along the C8 that was sitting there, then the cover gets pulled off of it and then they do the reveal of all the info.”

I’m assuming you meant C7s go flying by on the track. Wouldn’t make any sense to have uncovered C8s on the track pull up to a cover C8 getting ready to be unrevealed.
Well, your assumption is wrong. Not sure why you think I meant C7s. That would make no sense to have the last generation car doing a lap during a new car reveal. Cars flying by on a track at 100+ mph, you aren't going to be able to see the detail to well. Once they complete a lap, they pull up next to the C8 that was waiting on stage as a "teaser". The cover is then pulled off that car and all is revealed. This gives multiple specs for people to look at. And is a nice bonus to the reveal.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:06 AM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 282 Posts

As much as this idea sounds great for all the Corvette faithful..... I think there are a couple of problems. In our internet age with instant communications, the manufacturers still count on the favorable words / articles from all of the scribes out there for the various magazines and forums. They just aren't going to get that if they can't see. touch. and feel the merchandize..... and have contact as well as dialogue with the players on the development team.

Then there's the logistics issue.... how are you going to get the journalists from around the world to Bowling Green, Kentuc-noplace? Where are you going to put 'em up (in Nashville and then buss 'em to BG?) You better have reservations blocked out now.

Do I think the C8 will be there for the faithful? Yup, but the reveal will have come before that. Maybe a multi-market simultaneous reveal..... US, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East all tied together and broadcast on the net. That way they could host the journalists with manageable logistics and let 'em all see and touch the merchandize. Remember, at the C7 launch in Detroit they could see and touch but not drive 'em. Maybe this time around it will be different. The risk is that at a 'central' reveal, GM can better control the messaging. With multiple sites going off simultaneously, there is the very real risk that someone will get off script and off message. We've seen that before....

Anyway, every day that goes by makes it one day closer to the reveal....
Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I had a dream about a reveal the other night. Basically they lined up a black vette from every generation with a rose and like pole bearers walked the covered C8 or whatever it is onto the stage. Then the race team came out and pulled the cover off not in death but in life, revealing a white C8. It was strange but I saw a lot of details on the car that I hope are in fact accurate. Thing looked badass.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:18 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

The day when registration opened last year, 1300 had already signed up by the time I got home from work to sign up myself.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:10 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
All I can say is that those of us going to the NCM 25th Anniversary Homecoming in August are keeping our fingers crossed . . . and there are many thousands of us.
And that's a problem right there. God, I hope they don't do this. Thousands of old Corvette geezers in shorts and flip flops showing off their beer bellies and varicose veins, gals with their sun visor hats crammed over their perms, all craning their necks for a look at the C8 under a tent in the NCM parking lot. The place will look like the County Fairgrounds. Kids with cotton candy stuck all over their faces. Guys burping cans of Mountain Dew, and the announcer in the distance congratulating Billy Bob for a successful Bronco Busting run on Black Thunder. Ee, haw!

Not exactly a Class Act.
Foosh (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:39 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
And that's a problem right there. God, I hope they don't do this. Thousands of old Corvette geezers in shorts and flip flops showing off their beer bellies and varicose veins, gals with their sun visor hats crammed over their perms, all craning their necks for a look at the C8 under a tent in the NCM parking lot. The place will look like the County Fairgrounds. Kids with cotton candy stuck all over their faces. Guys burping cans of Mountain Dew, and the announcer in the distance congratulating Billy Bob for a successful Bronco Busting run on Black Thunder. Ee, haw!

Not exactly a Class Act.
Not sure here, is it the Corvette that you hate or just those who appreciate them.

I knew you had to be from the west coast when I read your post.
sidewinder77 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

As exciting as it would be for Corvette fanatics, a BG reveal is not an effective media strategy. For maximum impact, it needs to occur in a major metro area that won't have difficulty attracting max media coverage. The number of stories written is highly correlated with the number of journalists present. Not nearly as many will travel to a small town in a rural area to cover a car reveal.

Even if GM stages it's own event to reveal and doesn't go the major car show route, that event needs to be in a very large media center like NYC. In a big media center, it wouldn't just be automotive press present, it would also include a large number of journalists from mainstream media outlets.

For example, for the last several years, both the "Today Show" on NBC, and "CBS This Morning" have covered the NYC auto show live on-air.

Now GM could do the same thing at BGA to tickle the fancies of Corvette fans, but it should occur AFTER the major media reveal.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-17-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 reveal idea

Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by punky
Not sure here, is it the Corvette that you hate or just those who appreciate them.

I knew you had to be from the west coast when I read your post.
Nah, he's just a jerk. They live all over.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:40 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
Nah, he's just a jerk. They live all over.
I'll take my record on this site compared to yours any day. It's here for everyone to see. Take a look. It's not as if you have a distinguished record here.

As an NCM "Ambassador" you obviously have a vested interest over this poppy-**** idea that is clouding your judgment. You are not listening. It is so wrong on so many levels that it is laughable. Thank God you are not making the decisions here because it would be a complete and utter disaster. What would make the national news would be that GM screwed up so badly by scheduling a reveal in the midst of a giant Corvette summer picnic. Better hope it doesn't rain because a summer rainstorm in Bowling Green is a doozy.

LOGISTICS: GM will want the national press. Does anyone here think WKBO-Bowling Green is what GM is expecting? And just where is the national press going to stay? I guarantee you the Drury is already full, along with every other third rate hotel in the county. Yup, the Motel-6 is also full, and there are no first rate hotels any closer than Nashville. Oops. Sorry. There aren't any there at all. So you want the national press there and there's no room. Now there's some foresight for ya. Maybe the reporters can sack out in sleeping bags on the gallery floor of the NCM. And hope you ordered a lot of port-potties for this gig. The press can use those, too.

THE PRESENTATION: Now y'all have seen these before, right? The guys in suits get up to make their presentations thanking everyone. It's a well-lit stage with spot lights everywhere. Scantly clad Demo Dollies inhabit the exhibit space just next door. There are a couple of no-host bars in the corners staffed by white-coated waiters. Then the C8 gets driven out onto the stage onto a swivel base, and gets turned in every direction as light strobes from cameras flash in a blaze of light. Appropriate music is likely playing on a first class sound system in the background. A giant monitor behind the stage (and probably auxilliary ones on the side) showcase the event and film from the sky-cam cameras overhead. The audience is dressed formally or nearly so--no cut offs or flip flops here, and the C8 is presented to the entire world as the flagship halo car of a company with yearly gross revenue larger than the GDP of most of the countries of the world.

Now let's go look over at the NCM with these THOUSANDS of Vette owners who caravaned across the USA for a hoedown. The parking lot is full, back and front. Vettes are parked along the access roads everywhere. They have been trickling in since early morning, some even camped out overnight to get a good place. There are a few motor homes scattered about. Tents are set up for vendors of everything from exhaust systems to hot dogs. People have pulled out their lawn chairs and are decked out by their cars, some with poster boards proclaiming how special and unique their 1968 model is. They have likely pulled all the RC8 deliveries out of the museum to make room for more vendors. That pathetically small meeting room in the museum is simply not going to be big enough for THIS event, so it has been moved outside under the BIG tent. Wires for electricity and sound systems snake along the grass to the tents. Once the screech of the sound system is heard people gravitate toward the big tent. Only a few can sit inside. The rest of these thousands mingle outside trying to see in. So Tadge and Kai, dressed is Hawaiian shirts and loafers, say there thing before ripping off the sheets to show the C8. Perhaps you can get close enough to actually see it in a couple of hours.

Those are your choices, more or less. Now, do you actually believe GM would try to pull this off at the NCM? Really? You have got to be delusional if you do. They can't possibly be that naive.

Last edited by mschuyler; 03-17-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:44 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I'll take my record on this site compared to yours any day. It's here for everyone to see. Take a look. It's not as if you have a distinguished record here.

As an NCM "Ambassador" you obviously have a vested interest over this poppy-**** idea that is clouding your judgment. You are not listening. It is so wrong on so many levels that it is laughable. Thank God you are not making the decisions here because it would be a complete and utter disaster. What would make the national news would be that GM screwed up so badly by scheduling a reveal in the midst of a giant Corvette summer picnic. Better hope it doesn't rain because a summer rainstorm in Bowling Green is a doozy.

LOGISTICS: GM will want the national press. Does anyone here think WKBO-Bowling Green is what GM is expecting? And just where is the national press going to stay? I guarantee you the Drury is already full, along with every other third rate hotel in the county. Yup, the Motel-6 is also full, and there are no first rate hotels any closer than Nashville. Oops. Sorry. There aren't any there at all. So you want the national press there and there's no room. Now there's some foresight for ya. Maybe the reporters can sack out in sleeping bags on the gallery floor of the NCM. And hope you ordered a lot of port-potties for this gig. The press can use those, too.

THE PRESENTATION: Now y'all have seen these before, right? The guys in suits get up to make their presentations thanking everyone. It's a well-lit stage with spot lights everywhere. Scantly clad Demo Dollies inhabit the exhibit space just next door. There are a couple of no-host bars in the corners staffed by white-coated waiters. Then the C8 gets driven out onto the stage onto a swivel base, and gets turned in every direction as light strobes from cameras flash in a blaze of light. Appropriate music is likely playing on a first class sound system in the background. A giant monitor behind the stage (and probably auxilliary ones on the side) showcase the event and film from the sky-cam cameras overhead. The audience is dressed formally or nearly so--no cut offs or flip flops here, and the C8 is presented to the entire world as the flagship halo car of a company with yearly gross revenue larger than the GDP of most of the countries of the world.

Now let's go look over at the NCM with these THOUSANDS of Vette owners who caravaned across the USA for a hoedown. The parking lot is full, back and front. Vettes are parked along the access roads everywhere. They have been trickling in since early morning, some even camped out overnight to get a good place. There are a few motor homes scattered about. Tents are set up for vendors of everything from exhaust systems to hot dogs. People have pulled out their lawn chairs and are decked out by their cars, some with poster boards proclaiming how special and unique their 1968 model is. They have likely pulled all the RC8 deliveries out of the museum to make room for more vendors. That pathetically small meeting room in the museum is simply not going to be big enough for THIS event, so it has been moved outside under the BIG tent. Wires for electricity and sound systems snake along the grass to the tents. Once the screech of the sound system is heard people gravitate toward the big tent. Only a few can sit inside. The rest of these thousands mingle outside trying to see in. So Tadge and Kai, dressed is Hawaiian shirts and loafers, say there thing before ripping off the sheets to show the C8. Perhaps you can get close enough to actually see it in a couple of hours.

Those are your choices, more or less. Now, do you actually believe GM would try to pull this off at the NCM? Really? You have got to be delusional if you do.
Instead of continuously hurling insults at people, how about you actually add some value to the thread and share your opinion on where it will be unveiled?
The following 3 users liked this post by Zora_Vette:
CorvettoBrando (03-18-2019), sidewinder77 (03-18-2019), WKM (03-19-2019)

Quick Reply: C8 reveal idea