Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 reveal idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:47 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

I love to see a C8 commercial with Zora Duntov photoshopped in it, Most car fans would get it, kind of like what Ford did with McQueen and the iconic Mustang.

Last edited by ojm; 03-17-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I'll take my record on this site compared to yours any day. It's here for everyone to see. Take a look. It's not as if you have a distinguished record here.

As an NCM "Ambassador" you obviously have a vested interest over this poppy-**** idea that is clouding your judgment. You are not listening. It is so wrong on so many levels that it is laughable. Thank God you are not making the decisions here because it would be a complete and utter disaster. What would make the national news would be that GM screwed up so badly by scheduling a reveal in the midst of a giant Corvette summer picnic. Better hope it doesn't rain because a summer rainstorm in Bowling Green is a doozy.

LOGISTICS: GM will want the national press. Does anyone here think WKBO-Bowling Green is what GM is expecting? And just where is the national press going to stay? I guarantee you the Drury is already full, along with every other third rate hotel in the county. Yup, the Motel-6 is also full, and there are no first rate hotels any closer than Nashville. Oops. Sorry. There aren't any there at all. So you want the national press there and there's no room. Now there's some foresight for ya. Maybe the reporters can sack out in sleeping bags on the gallery floor of the NCM. And hope you ordered a lot of port-potties for this gig. The press can use those, too.

THE PRESENTATION: Now y'all have seen these before, right? The guys in suits get up to make their presentations thanking everyone. It's a well-lit stage with spot lights everywhere. Scantly clad Demo Dollies inhabit the exhibit space just next door. There are a couple of no-host bars in the corners staffed by white-coated waiters. Then the C8 gets driven out onto the stage onto a swivel base, and gets turned in every direction as light strobes from cameras flash in a blaze of light. Appropriate music is likely playing on a first class sound system in the background. A giant monitor behind the stage (and probably auxilliary ones on the side) showcase the event and film from the sky-cam cameras overhead. The audience is dressed formally or nearly so--no cut offs or flip flops here, and the C8 is presented to the entire world as the flagship halo car of a company with yearly gross revenue larger than the GDP of most of the countries of the world.

Now let's go look over at the NCM with these THOUSANDS of Vette owners who caravaned across the USA for a hoedown. The parking lot is full, back and front. Vettes are parked along the access roads everywhere. They have been trickling in since early morning, some even camped out overnight to get a good place. There are a few motor homes scattered about. Tents are set up for vendors of everything from exhaust systems to hot dogs. People have pulled out their lawn chairs and are decked out by their cars, some with poster boards proclaiming how special and unique their 1968 model is. They have likely pulled all the RC8 deliveries out of the museum to make room for more vendors. That pathetically small meeting room in the museum is simply not going to be big enough for THIS event, so it has been moved outside under the BIG tent. Wires for electricity and sound systems snake along the grass to the tents. Once the screech of the sound system is heard people gravitate toward the big tent. Only a few can sit inside. The rest of these thousands mingle outside trying to see in. So Tadge and Kai, dressed is Hawaiian shirts and loafers, say there thing before ripping off the sheets to show the C8. Perhaps you can get close enough to actually see it in a couple of hours.

Those are your choices, more or less. Now, do you actually believe GM would try to pull this off at the NCM? Really? You have got to be delusional if you do.
Wanna' know something....all those people you denigrate in your postings are actual Corvette buyers. Not the snobs that you seem to adore that only go first class with their $3,000 a night hotel rooms, arrive in their Bentley's, drink $1,000 a glass booze, who's farts don't stink, etc.
The following users liked this post:
WKM (03-19-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

No worries, As I said, just a jerk. Give him all the importance he deserves.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:18 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
Instead of continuously hurling insults at people, how about you actually add some value to the thread and share your opinion on where it will be unveiled?
I just spent a considerable amount of time telling you why it won't be unveiled at the NCM. Why is that an insult? My guess is you simply can't refute it so you decide to be insulted.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:20 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fyreline
No worries, As I said, just a jerk. Give him all the importance he deserves.
Once again, no refutation, just a personal attack. To paraphrase another member here, why don't you stop insulting people and gives us the reasons why the reveal will be at the NCM?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:21 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

I just spent a considerable amount of time telling you why it won't be unveiled at the NCM. Why is that an insult? My guess is you simply can't refute it so you decide to be insulted.
I'm talking about the insults you insulting other people with. Also, I asked you to state your opinion on where the C8 will be unveiled since you keep insulting people that share their opinions. Do you have trouble reading old man? Keep the thread on topic. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

I really just so not get why people get so defensive and hostile about this topic(the C8). I made my account earlier this year bit have been following this whole thing since the first Holden mule spy shots. It's not like GM is giving away a free C8 to whoever can be the biggest a**hole on here.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Wanna' know something....all those people you denigrate in your postings are actual Corvette buyers. Not the snobs that you seem to adore that only go first class with their $3,000 a night hotel rooms, arrive in their Bentley's, drink $1,000 a glass booze, who's farts don't stink, etc.
I'm reminded of the time Dorothy Parker was asked to use the word "horticulture" in a sentence. Without hesitation she said, "You can lead a ***** to culture, but you can't make her think." If you do not understand why a corporation like GM should not reveal a car as important as the C8 at a picnic, there's nothing I an do but flunk you out of class.

Not the snobs that you seem to adore that only go first class with their $3,000 a night hotel rooms, arrive in their Bentley's, drink $1,000 a glass booze, who's farts don't stink, etc.
The drinks cost $5.00. The hotel costs $300-$400, and they are likely driving a rental car. You made that **** up. But hopefully they left their flip flops at home.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

I'm reminded of the time Dorothy Parker was asked to use the word "horticulture" in a sentence. Without hesitation she said, "You can lead a ***** to culture, but you can't make her think." If you do not understand why a corporation like GM should not reveal a car as important as the C8 at a picnic, there's nothing I an do but flunk you out of class.
The drinks cost $5.00. The hotel costs $300-$400, and they are likely driving a rental car. You made that **** up. But hopefully they left their flip flops at home.
What you may think is a "picnic" may very well be the future of car reveals. I hate to say it, but the industry is moving away from big auto shows like Detroit, NY, etc and going towards stand alone events. It makes sense though. The manufacturers can set the whole vibe/atmosphere, the car is not having attention stolen from other cars, all the media is there in one spot, etc. Revealing the future of the Corvette at a new style type of event would be great.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
I really just so not get why people get so defensive and hostile about this topic(the C8). I made my account earlier this year bit have been following this whole thing since the first Holden mule spy shots. It's not like GM is giving away a free C8 to whoever can be the biggest a**hole on here.
Every public forum from topic A to Z has that stuff, take the good with the bad I guess.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:47 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

If Chevrolet wants the worldwide media present, wherever they unveile the C8, they will simply have their media people do a press release 7-10 days out, which is customary for publicizing an event. The automotive media will be there in full-force, even in little ole Bowling Green.

It could definitely take place at the NCM. I don’t know that it will, but it could prove to be as exciting a venue as any other.

As far as the attendees... yeah, there will be a microcosm of true Corvette enthusiasts at the NCM. All shapes, sizes and ages, races, and levels of wealth, wearing comfortable clothes for a mostly outdoor event. But these are obviously the market that Chevrolet will need to impress first.

A couple years ago, my wife I attended all of the big buck events at Monterey Car Week; McCall’s Motorworks Revival (VIP tickets) the Quail, and Pebble beach. Tickets for each of those events are hundreds of dollars per person. That is, I’m sure, in part to keep the riffraf out. Well we fooled them and we bucked up and got into each event. And, guess what, although I was in khakis and a polo, there was Jay Leno at the Quail in his chambray shirt and blue jeans, no flip flops though.

It’s about the car, stupid! Yeah, Chevrolet, do it at the Museum/Plant/MotorsportsPark.

Last edited by Red67John; 03-17-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:37 AM
zr_kaizen
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Check out Cadillac’s marketing strategy for the CT6: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...onfirmed-2020/

Bite-sized content leading up to NY reveal. Should expect something similar for the C8.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Your posts are actually quite entertaining for most of us here but reflect badly on you as a person.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:51 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I agree. Still just a jerk, and every subsequent comment he posts reinforces that. I have not, do not and will not offer the "refutation" he seems so totally desperate for - and the reason for that is because he may, in fact, be correct in his reasoning. Or not. All I said was that those of us actually going to the NCM 25th Anniversary Homecoming were "keeping our fingers crossed" that the C8 reveal would occur there. It would be fun to witness. That's all. He seemed to feel compelled to go on to disparage as many Corvette owners and their families as possible, which, in my opinion, earns him the title as a jerk.

Do I actually think that the C8 Reveal will be at the NCM affair? No, probably not - and I have, in fact, discussed my reasons why I think it likely won't on this forum, if a certain jerk took the time to read them.

Hint: When you're in a hole, STOP DIGGING.

I might suggest the moderators close this particular thread. There is nothing further constructive to be said here.

Last edited by fyreline; 03-18-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I have to agree with Mschuyler on this one even though I really want to do the Bash someday. The word that we need to think about is "optics". He it this on the head pretty accurately, and since the Corvette is still viewed as an old man mid life crisis car, optics for a reveal like this is extremely important. The average buyer will likely not change much, but GM would want to appeal to a more "youthful" audience. We all know that younger people likely can't afford to buy a Corvette brand new, but GM needs to generate interest in a younger audience to benefit from the "halo car" effect.

A reveal at NYIAS would be much more beneficial to GM as the car would simply steal the show at the largest car show in the US and arguably the world. It would eclipse any other car revealed at the show because it is a) a new Corvette and b) a mid-engine Corvette. Honestly, Porsche could reveal a mid engine 911 and it would be a blip in the news compared to the change for Corvette. Revealing at the Bash would do none of that, it would have very little in the way of direct impact in auto news because it would be revealed alone with nothing to contrast it against other than previous generation Vettes. Then there is the Bash itself, which I believe would be a lot of fun to go to, but is the wrong "look" for a worldwide reveal. Porsche has never revealed a new generation 911 at a car meet, they reveal variants but not full on generational changes.

So while Mschuyler might be a bit more direct about the issue, I have to side with his idea that the NCM Bash is not a good venue for a brand new generational introduction of the Corvette. So yeah the image that he references is certainly fine for a meet, but not really suitable for a reveal as important as the C8.
The following 2 users liked this post by Supermassive:
Foosh (03-18-2019), vndkshn (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:34 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Me too. Mschuyler nailed the reasons why BG would be a bad idea. It amazes me so many took offense. Learn to laugh and not take things so damned seriously, there was a lot of truth there.

Reveal events are not aimed at the "faithful." They won't need convincing if the product is great and affordable. They are for creating excitement among all the rest.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-18-2019 at 11:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
vndkshn (03-18-2019), Z06Fiend (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:46 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

How about this (with no chance of offending ANYONE):

Bowling Green does NOT have the infrastructure for a reveal of this magnitude. Not enough restaurants, not enough hotels, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 reveal idea

Old 03-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
Me too. Mschuyler nailed the reasons why BG would be a bad idea. It amazes me so many took offense. Learn to laugh and not take things so damned seriously, there was a lot of truth there.

Reveal events are not aimed at the "faithful." They won't need convincing if the product is great and affordable. They are for creating excitement among all the rest.
Who took offense?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by zora_vette
i'm talking about the insults you insulting other people with. Also, i asked you to state your opinion on where the c8 will be unveiled since you keep insulting people that share their opinions. Do you have trouble reading old man? Keep the thread on topic. Thanks.
zzz
Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
zzz
That is not being offended though. That is telling a grown man to stop acting like a 5 year old that is insulting people for no reason. Apparently you have reading issues too.

Quick Reply: C8 reveal idea