Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Blackwing engine for the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yeah 755bhp does good for bragging rights but is also traction limited.
Only at lower speeds. Full power can be used at higher speeds. Putting the engine near the rear wheels will improve the traction situation too.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
From Motor1.com:

Sorry, Corvette.
Cadillac may be unsure about the future of its CT6 flagship sedan but it definitely knows what it won’t do with the engine of the series’ range-topper. The CT6-V uses a 4.2-liter twin-turbo V8 engine which is also shared with the CT6 Platinum but this motor will remain exclusive to the Cadillac brand.

Yep that is “Marketing Speek!” In fact they are building the Blackwing in Bowling Green for a reason! A variant will be in the C8. Perhaps Elizabeth Warren has convinced them to use Blackfoot in honor of her grandmother!

If Caddy doesn’t get better SUV’s and maybe even a Caddy truck, their plants could be the next Marry Barra closes!

Frankly it’s silly to think these are the days of old where Chevy, Pontiac, Buick and Caddy had “their own engines.” It’s all GM money and stockholders don’t like to see it wasted!

If the only engine in the C8 is a variant of the LT1, stockholders will also not be happy with some of the press:

”GM announces their “halo mid engine Corvette” with a 500 hp old technology pushrod V8 while the Italian Alfa has a modern 2.9 Liter double overhead cam, 4 valve/cylider, twin turbo engine with 5 more horses! Alfa also announced it is adding a hybrid 141 hp for a total of 645 in their 4 door sports sedan! That electric hybrid recovers otherwise wasted braking energy to improve mpg, lowering CO2 emissions!”

Just Sayn’ but plenty of press who will use that dramatic headline which will be picked up by TV and spread by Social Media.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-19-2019 at 08:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:16 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

550 bhp at 5750 is likely indicative of 90* crankshaft prioritizing Cadillac style smooth low end torque. A 4.2L V8 variant for ME could be fitted with 180* flat plane lightweight crankshaft for developing higher horsepower at higher rpms (along with side mounted turbos and different heads as seen in the CADs). Just my $0.02.
BEAR-AvHistory (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

There is absolutely no way that GM can afford to provide bespoke motors for these cars in 2019. If you think the 4.2 turbo isn't going in the Corvette with anything other than slight changes from the Cadillac configuration, I have some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

GM is barely keeping its head above water, they're hemorrhaging money. Many eyes are on Cadillac right now, that guy is in no position to make such ridiculous statements.

Last edited by Skullbussa; 03-19-2019 at 12:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skullbussa:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-19-2019), JerryU (03-19-2019), RapidC84B (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The person who made that statement is no longer in charge of the Cadillac division.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-19-2019 at 12:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-19-2019), JerryU (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
550 bhp at 5750 is likely indicative of 90* crankshaft prioritizing Cadillac style smooth low end torque. A 4.2L V8 variant for ME could be fitted with 180* flat plane lightweight crankshaft for developing higher horsepower at higher rpms (along with side mounted turbos and different heads as seen in the CADs). Just my $0.02.
Flat plane cranks are ****. Their balance is so bad (that is they have none) that reliability is non-existent. Why do you think people sell their Ferraris afte 30,000 miles? Nascar, Top Fuel, and Pro Stock all use cross plane cranks for a reason.

You know what the real reason is for flat plane cranks? They even out the exhaust pulses. Cross plane cranks in V8's cause the exhaust to run unevenly into the headers, giving exhaust pulses on the order of L-R-L-L-R-L-R-R. It causes back pressure in the exhaust system. It's also what makes a big cammed V8 go potato-potato-potato.

This does cause some loss of horsepower in NA setups, and hurts exhaust flow, particularly at high rpm, which is why we benefit from X-pipes. However, a mid engine V8 has a superior solution to the X-pipe: the "bundle of snakes" exhaust:

Instead of an X-pipe, the bundle of snakes routes some of the primary header tubes to the opposite collector, so the uneven firing order is evened out and more horsepower is made as a result.

Hell, the Caddy guy probably knows GM doesn't want the Blackwing in the vette, so he's trying to spin it into something positive.

Last edited by sstonebreaker; 03-19-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Zaro Tundov (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:59 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Flat plane cranks are ****. Their balance is so bad (that is they have none) that reliability is non-existent. Why do you think people sell their Ferraris afte 30,000 miles? Nascar, Top Fuel, and Pro Stock all use cross plane cranks for a reason.

You know what the real reason is for flat plane cranks? They even out the exhaust pulses. Cross plane cranks in V8's cause the exhaust to run unevenly into the headers, giving exhaust pulses on the order of L-R-L-L-R-L-R-R. It causes back pressure in the exhaust system. It's also what makes a big cammed V8 go potato-potato-potato.

This does cause some loss of horsepower in NA setups, and hurts exhaust flow, particularly at high rpm, which is why we benefit from X-pipes. However, a mid engine V8 has a superior solution to the X-pipe: the "bundle of snakes" exhaust:

Instead of an X-pipe, the bundle of snakes routes some of the primary header tubes to the opposite collector, so the uneven firing order is evened out and more horsepower is made as a result.

Hell, the Caddy guy probably knows GM doesn't want the Blackwing in the vette, so he's trying to spin it into something positive.
Snakes make a great visual in addition to their function. Could be a plumbing issue with them in a C8 with its out board exhaust routing.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,287 Likes on 932 Posts

Both the ATS-V and CTS-V failed because they are not awd.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The person who made that statement is no longer in charge of the Cadillac division.
I bet the new president actually knows why the previous president got fired(and I bet that you don't have a clue as to why he was fired). If the previous president got fired because he said the Blackwing was a Cadillac only engine, then it would be pretty stupid for the new president to voice the state sentiments, wouldn't it, if he knew it could get him fired?

Has the new president been fired?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I bet the new president actually knows why the previous president got fired(and I bet that you don't have a clue as to why he was fired). If the previous president got fired because he said the Blackwing was a Cadillac only engine, then it would be pretty stupid for the new president to voice the state sentiments, wouldn't it, if he knew it could get him fired?

Nope he just got the job & as of today is still alive AFAIK
JerryU (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Lest we forget it could simply be a variant. The CTSV got the LSA while the ZR1 got the LS9. Very similar motors.

The blackhawk could just use different turbo's and some other small differences that overall make a different motor but the same ultimate architecture shared. GM is not going to build a completely custom motor for a low volume caddy.
JerryU (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
GM is not going to build a completely custom motor for a low volume caddy.
The Blackwing will go into the next gen Escalade and likely the CT5. If Caddy develops a ME, it would go there too.

The ME Corvette should use the LT4 and LT5 which are Chevy engines that have proven reliable and cheaper to build. They also happen to be much more powerful and are certified EPA compliant.
Why would Corvette just let them sit on the shelf after all the development expense? Corvette does not want a Caddy engine that will likely be much more problematic.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:28 AM
Mark045
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
They will not develop a whole new platform just for Caddy... I don't care what they say. They'll flip the heads and put the turbos on the outside and call it something else, but it will be the same engine platform.
, I agree , Plenty of people will Not be happy if the C8 arrives with just a warmed over LT1 Engine in the 500HP. range
JerryU (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:44 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mark045
, I agree , Plenty of people will Not be happy if the C8 arrives with just a warmed over LT1 Engine in the 500HP. range
That is why they will install a LT4 or LT5 instead. 650 hp will definitely get the job done with all Chevy power and design. Just pull it off the shelf and you are done.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:46 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,169 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark045
I would... I want the simplest 500 hp ME car I could get. LT2 + stick and I'd be very happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
John T (03-20-2019), Viper (03-25-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

I would... I want the simplest 500 hp ME car I could get. LT2 + stick and I'd be very happy.
Definitely no stick. DCT only. Need to get sub 3 seconds 0-60 consistently.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Definitely no stick. DCT only. Need to get sub 3 seconds 0-60 consistently.
You’re both setting yourself for a disappointment. Perhaps there will be a LT variant for the launch but I’ll wait for the Blackwing, which IMO Marry Barra concern is one reason for the long delay in the C8.

She is no doubt concerned that the bad automotive press from the release of their “halo car” with only an old technology pushrod engine could kill the Corvette. IMO, they are waiting so they can announce the Blackwing, Blackhawk or Blackfoot engine (whatever they will call the Vette version) with the “will be available soon” FWD KERS they sent Andy Pilgrim to leak! How else could they counter the 2019 2.9 Liter engine Alfa announced that will have 645 hp with a light weight 141KERS in a 4 door sports sedan.

Yep not happy my fist DD in ~60 years won’t have a third pedal but a DCT is far better than a GM “slushbox” (which would have me buying a Porsche) or an EV!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-20-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To No Blackwing engine for the Corvette

Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
You’re both setting yourself for a disappointment. Perhaps there will be a LT variant for the launch but I’ll wait for the Blackwing, which IMO Marry Barra is one reason for the long delay in the C8.

She was concerned than the bad press from the release of their “halo car” with only an old technology pushrod engine could kill the Corvette. They are waiting so they can announce the Blackwing, Blackhawk or Blackfoot engine (whatever they will call the Vette version) with the “will be available soon” FWD KERS they sent Andy Pilgrim to leak! How else could they counter the 2019 2.9 Liter engine Alfa announced that will have 645 hp with a light weight 141KERS in a 4 door sports sedan.

Yep not happy my fist DD in ~60 years won’t have a third pedal but a DCT is far better than a GM “slushbox” (which would have me buying a Porsche) or an EV!
If you've got 650 hp under the hood, who cares if it is push rod? It's a Chevy motor developed by Chevy and relatively cheap to build compared to the Caddy Blackwing, which is completely untested in the real world and therefore will likely have many problems. The Porsche boxster 6 is "old technology" too, but nobody is complaining.

Alfa is junk. Nobody is buying because nobody cares about it.
JD_AMG (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
You’re both setting yourself for a disappointment. Perhaps there will be a LT variant for the launch but I’ll wait for the Blackwing, which IMO Marry Barra concern is one reason for the long delay in the C8.

She is no doubt concerned that the bad automotive press from the release of their “halo car” with only an old technology pushrod engine could kill the Corvette. IMO, they are waiting so they can announce the Blackwing, Blackhawk or Blackfoot engine (whatever they will call the Vette version) with the “will be available soon” FWD KERS they sent Andy Pilgrim to leak! How else could they counter the 2019 2.9 Liter engine Alfa announced that will have 645 hp with a light weight 141KERS in a 4 door sports sedan.

Many people have pointed out to you, and you seem to ignore it, but a KERS is not unique to tiny little engines.

You can have a base Corvette with a 500 HP 6.2L NA V8 and then an optional model with a 141 HP KERS added, for a high performance, extra cost 641 HP Corvette, without resorting to a tiny FI engine.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:31 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Jesus, Joe. You certainly love to make mountains out of mole hills. I simply said the person who said the Blackwing would never appear in anything other than a Cadillac was no longer in charge of the Cadillac Division. That's it. I did not speculate as to why or offer any other analyses.

You just love to sit back and take pot shots.

Let me be the first to say you're right, I have neither have any clue WHY he was fired, nor did I say I did. Here is the entirety of the post you decided to debate. Really?

Last edited by Foosh; 03-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: No Blackwing engine for the Corvette