Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please post your pics or video you or a friends drop in of a Mercury Racing SB4

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 02:34 PM
ConcernedCitizen
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Please post your pics or video you or a friends drop in of a Mercury Racing SB4

Crickets..........

Because it doesn’t exist as a crate motor. It’s the R&D for the C8.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 02:48 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

I think the $29k asking price from Roadster Shop has something to do with it. At that power level, there are most cost effective ways.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:04 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

It exists. Iirc it was in one of the merc racing dealer catalogs I had.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:35 PM
ConcernedCitizen
Advanced

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
It exists. Iirc it was in one of the merc racing dealer catalogs I had.
Was it..
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen
Crickets..........

I sure hope not, that is a massive and heavy engine, would really hurt handling compared to using the smaller/lighter LT1...
Also its definitely a crate engine:
http://www.mercuryracing.com/wp-cont...9451_FINAL.pdf
Old 03-18-2019, 05:28 PM
ConcernedCitizen
Advanced

Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 PM
invadermoose
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

What are you even talking about? It isnt a crate engine because no one has posted pictures of themselves dropping it into a car yet? It only started selling recently.

Its advertised as a crate engine. They have official documents saying its a crate engine, they have officially published pricing where it is stated to be a crate engine. You can even order it from retailers like http://roadstershop.com/engines/merc...cing-sb4-dohc/

Someone above actually posted the documentation where Mercury themselves call it a crate engine and you still doubt the claim. Are you feeling okay?

Last edited by invadermoose; 03-18-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:46 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Looks like this dealer is selling them - http://roadstershop.com/engines/merc...cing-sb4-dohc/
Old 03-18-2019, 07:39 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

Crickets..........

Try YouTube. It will take about 15 seconds to find multiple builds.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 PM
ConcernedCitizen
Advanced

I know Roadster Shop is now the “dealer”. I have sent them multiple emails asking if I could order the SB4.

So far no reply. They must be busy.

Ive yet to find a YouTube video of a SB4 engine done by someone not associated with the SB4. Please post link.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Was it..
Old 03-18-2019, 08:34 PM
invadermoose
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I know Roadster Shop is now the “dealer”. I have sent them multiple emails asking if I could order the SB4.

So far no reply. They must be busy.

Ive yet to find a YouTube video of a SB4 engine done by someone not associated with the SB4. Please post link.

Lol.

So what is your explanation? It isnt a crate engine and Mercury is just outright lying to everyone for laughs? Big conspiracy? Not only Mercury, but The Roadster Shop is also in on this conspiracy and has it listed for sale, but isnt really selling it. Come on, man.

Last edited by invadermoose; 03-18-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Was it..
Yea, the TT 1650 was there too. That thing would make anyone **** their pants. But its massive. You can also turn the block up to double what it's making now I'm sure, no problems.
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I sure hope not, that is a massive and heavy engine, would really hurt handling compared to using the smaller/lighter LT1...
Also its definitely a crate engine:
http://www.mercuryracing.com/wp-cont...9451_FINAL.pdf
I think I'd take an extra 30lbs or so for another 250+ hp. It's still lighter than an lt4 iirc.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 PM
ConcernedCitizen
Advanced

Ok. I’ll admit the whole sb4 conspiracy thing is pretty far fetched, although I still can’t figure out why I can’t seem to find anyone who will sell me one. But have you ever heard the phrase “something’s rotten in Denmark”? Well, something’s rotten in Denmark. This thing was trotted out at SEMA 2016. One dealer? Roadster Shop? This is Mercury Racing for crying out loud, not Bobs engines and transmissions. These things should be everywhere. Look up other GM based crate engines, and you can get each and every one of them at 10 different online shops.

Fine, maybe you can buy the SB4, maybe not, but this thing stinks. And I think that’s because it was a way for GM to keep development of a new engine under wraps. That or Mercury Racing spent an awfully lot of time and money to bring a crate motor to market that it doesn’t seem to want to sell.
Mikec7z (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Yea, the TT 1650 was there too. That thing would make anyone **** their pants. But its massive. You can also turn the block up to double what it's making now I'm sure, no problems.

I think I'd take an extra 30lbs or so for another 250+ hp. It's still lighter than an lt4 iirc.
Try at least 150lbs and damn near a foot of extra width.
The longblock SB4 without exhaust manifolds is around 500lbs, an LSx in the same level of dress is around 350lbs (or less).
Also not lighter than an LT4. The LT4 is 530lbs fully dressed with clutch assembly, the SB4 is 560lbs dressed, likely missing exhaust manifolds and a clutch here too (http://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/) So you can add near another 100lbs for that stuff...
Also this SB4 doesn't pass emissions. If Im building a sports car (emphasis on sports car - built for handling and balance, not going fast in a straight line) I want a small, compact, lightweight engine that makes [reliable] power, like an LSx. You can mount it lower and closer to the center of the chassis for better weight distribution and center of gravity, plus the lsx has a lower center of gravity itself.

Look how small and compact the LSx is, this is next to a 1.8L I4!

And next to a big Coyote

Look at the difference between a LSx and a DOHC 5.6L Nissan VK engine in the same 350Z chassis.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JD_AMG; 03-18-2019 at 10:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JD_AMG:
LouieM (03-20-2019), Warp Factor (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Ok. I’ll admit the whole sb4 conspiracy thing is pretty far fetched, although I still can’t figure out why I can’t seem to find anyone who will sell me one. But have you ever heard the phrase “something’s rotten in Denmark”? Well, something’s rotten in Denmark. This thing was trotted out at SEMA 2016. One dealer? Roadster Shop? This is Mercury Racing for crying out loud, not Bobs engines and transmissions. These things should be everywhere. Look up other GM based crate engines, and you can get each and every one of them at 10 different online shops.

Fine, maybe you can buy the SB4, maybe not, but this thing stinks. And I think that’s because it was a way for GM to keep development of a new engine under wraps. That or Mercury Racing spent an awfully lot of time and money to bring a crate motor to market that it doesn’t seem to want to sell.
Even if it was GM's secret that they literally let slip out to everyone, why wouldn't they sell you it anyway? They sell all their performance engines as crate engines, so what would be the difference? If they had never intended to sell it in the first place then why market it as a crate engine and not just a concept or prototype? If it was intended for a street car why would you not build it to be street legal and pass emissions?
Bottom line is Mercury made a really cool engine, but at $30K for a 750hp custom engine that has no history of being reliable yet I wouldn't be taking that gamble considering how much more reliable power you could make with $30K with a known, tried and true engine platform. Not to mention the high weight and the fact that engine is pretty huge. I highly doubt these dealers have these engines on backstock ready to ship, they are probably custom made to order and I doubt many (if any) people have ordered any.
****, you can get a junkyard LS/vortec 4.8L and make 1000+hp with some ebay turbos for dirt cheap if you want big power.
Warp Factor (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:35 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

the eng is out,ive driven a 32' offshore boat ,last summer with 2 sb4 engs,,

these arnt emmisions engs [yet],so they arnt everywhere,,,and these were originally a head kit to swap on-to an LS eng,but know they are an ''whole-eng ''only

merc has built 20+ of them,,

but everybody really wants its bigger brother the 1350-1550-1750hp big block engs,and merc cant build those fast enough

Get notified of new replies

To Please post your pics or video you or a friends drop in of a Mercury Racing SB4

Old 03-18-2019, 11:21 PM
ConcernedCitizen
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
the eng is out,ive driven a 32' offshore boat ,last summer with 2 sb4 engs,,

these arnt emmisions engs [yet],so they arnt everywhere,,,and these were originally a head kit to swap on-to an LS eng,but know they are an ''whole-eng ''only

merc has built 20+ of them,,

but everybody really wants its bigger brother the 1350-1550-1750hp big block engs,and merc cant build those fast enough
dmaxx, I’m not so sure that was the SB4 in question. From Motor Trend:

“So equipped, the SB4 produces 750 horsepower at 7,500 rpm—500 rpm shy of fuel shutoff—and 545 lb-ft at 6,500 rpm. Designed exclusively for automotive use, it features a sharper power curve and a slightly less broad torque curve (off-shore, direct-drive race boats need an Ayers Rock torque curve).”

Mercury has said this is not a marine engine.

Also everything I can find from Mercury Racing says they were never interested in selling the heads alone, only the crate motor. You can find quite a few quotes from them on this subject.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:30 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

i said this a while back myself... i think it is possible GM uses this setup in LE cars, i mean... if people are willing to pay for it... why wouldn't you use it for Limited Editions?

There could be a new N/A Grand Sport LE that uses this tech with the lt1 displacement with similar ohvc heads, but it will be a genuinely Limited Edition of the car created for the track, like the viper ACR. GM will wait a few years before using this Engine in the vette or camaro is my belief. Let everyone get tired of the quiet engines first.... then bring this out and take everyone else's money.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-20-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Try at least 150lbs and damn near a foot of extra width.
The longblock SB4 without exhaust manifolds is around 500lbs, an LSx in the same level of dress is around 350lbs (or less).
Also not lighter than an LT4. The LT4 is 530lbs fully dressed with clutch assembly, the SB4 is 560lbs dressed, likely missing exhaust manifolds and a clutch here too (http://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/) So you can add near another 100lbs for that stuff...
Also this SB4 doesn't pass emissions. If Im building a sports car (emphasis on sports car - built for handling and balance, not going fast in a straight line) I want a small, compact, lightweight engine that makes [reliable] power, like an LSx. You can mount it lower and closer to the center of the chassis for better weight distribution and center of gravity, plus the lsx has a lower center of gravity itself.

Look how small and compact the LSx is, this is next to a 1.8L I4!

And next to a big Coyote

Look at the difference between a LSx and a DOHC 5.6L Nissan VK engine in the same 350Z chassis.
My bad, the article I read a while back claimed 500 lbs fully dressed, I just looked at the merc brochure to recheck.

As for the size, yea its bigger. But it ain't like a coyote vs an ls. The block is the same physical size unlike the coyote that is big for no apparent reason.
Idk how accurate the brochure sizing is but its allegedly only ~5inches wider. Its impressive to me they got it to the size they did. (Idk where the attachment went...)

Quick Reply: Please post your pics or video you or a friends drop in of a Mercury Racing SB4