Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wouldn't blink an eye at $100,000.00

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:56 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Yes it is. It's low powered entering Miata territory. Has no business in the C7 league at all. Any more than the SUV Cayenne has anything to do with the C7. On comparative basis, neither belongs. Bring the 911. That's where the C7 is.
Miata HP - 181, Base Cayman HP - 300
Not what I would call entering Miata territory at close to double the HP. And yes, doesn't belong in C7 league
Old 03-23-2019, 09:59 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by punky
You have described both trolls to a "T" and correctly point out the fact that they do a Porsche fanboy dance in almost every thread that they post in.
Just trying to bring a modicum of light to the dark ages.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

You have described both trolls to a "T" and correctly point out the fact that they do a Porsche fanboy dance in almost every thread that they post in.
You and Telepierre are truly the self appointed Batman and Robin of the Corvette forum....with the mission to erase all thoughts counter productive to the corvette empire you have sworn to protect. Now....if you would just tell me who is who. I am guessing by the name that Punky is Robin and the one wearing spandex. We need more super heroes in the world and I applaud both of you for your unrelenting loyalty and enthusiasm! Absolutely stellar performaces��. In all seriousness, you both need to chill. No one is attacking the Corvette empire!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-23-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Why?

What is it about a mid engine car that somehow changes what the car is capable of?

Can a mid engine sports car play nice as a GT? Yup, just look at the Mclarens...even with CF monocoque chassis' which is inherently louder than an aluminum one, McLarens are livable cars.

Can you daily a mid engine car? I don't see why not.

Can you grocery shop in a mid engine sports car? Yes, yes you can.

Can older folks still get into the car? Yup, without the heavy side bracing of CF chassis, the door sills look to be pretty much the same as the C7 and will likely have similar ingress/egress.

Does putting the engine behind the driver somehow necessitate a higher cost for materials? No.

See, I just don't understand how GM taking the Corvette and making it mid engine will threaten its position as THEE performance bargain sports car. With Porsche abandoning reason and taking the 911 completely out of the equation for people contemplating sports cars in this range, the C8 is set for record sales. When I bought my C7 I checked out the Cayman, which was fun fully kitted out in Cayman R trim, but the nearly $100k price tag made me look at the 911's on the lot. With 911's starting over $110k, there is no possibility that I would even consider one. So what other car resides in this space? The Cayman still does, but it is under powered and has the stigma of being the "baby P-car", other than that, there is nothing. Mustangs and Camaros are not really eating into Corvette sales, the BMW and AMG sport sedans and coupes are not a threat.

So, GM has a perfectly positioned car that has no competition and can literally monopolize this segment, but you think that because the car is mid engine that it will somehow lose its position?

Huh?
Only if they bump up the price enough to put it into direct competition with higher level sports cars. Otherwise, I completely agree that their is no real competition in the sub $100,000 market. It’s easily the best thing going at this price point...plus plays above it’s pay grade if strictly performance is your measuring stick.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-23-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:09 AM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Oh, that's news, 6 cylinder Corvette? Where did you hear that one?
Some "John Z" guy who promised a stainless steel sports car but delivered it with a Renault 4 cylinder.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:19 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
You and Telepierre are truly the self appointed Batman and Robin of the Corvette forum....with the mission to erase all thoughts counter productive to the corvette empire you have sworn to protect. Now....if you would just tell me who is who. I am guessing by the name that Punky is Robin and the one wearing spandex. We need more super heroes in the world and I applaud both of you for your unrelenting loyalty and enthusiasm! Absolutely stellar performaces��. In all seriousness, you both need to chill. No one is attacking the Corvette empire!
You seem like an insecure type who needs to attack others and their passions, sad. Pretty weird post Dude but if that's how your mind works then we can only hope your new, used, 911 give you some relief. Stick to Porsche fanboy antics as your posts are some of the best free entertainment that the internet provides.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

You seem like an insecure type who needs to attack others and their passions, sad. Pretty weird post Dude but if that's how your mind works then we can only hope your new, used, 911 give you some relief. Stick to Porsche fanboy antics as your posts are some of the best free entertainment that the internet provides.
Too funny....I have thought all of your posts have been very attacking. I guess everything foreign to you poses a threat to your belief system. Why don’t we leave it that you and Telepierre are both loyal Corvette fanatics while others may have appreciation for other cars as well. If you hate Porsche’s don’t buy one. I sure wouldn’t buy anything I didn’t like either, but I wouldn’t run down those who do. I guess that’s at least one difference between you and I.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

I wouldn’t blink an eye at $100K for the C8 either.

However, if I win the Mega-Milllions tonight I’m all in at $1MM plus for the quintessential sports car that a local dealer/broker has:
https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6423-1...n=vehicle_6423

yeah, I’ll most likely, and happily, settle for the new ME C8
Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Too funny....I have thought all of your posts have been very attacking. I guess everything foreign to you poses a threat to your belief system. Why don’t we leave it that you and Telepierre are both loyal Corvette fanatics while others may have appreciation for other cars as well. If you hate Porsche’s don’t buy one. I sure wouldn’t buy anything I didn’t like either, but I wouldn’t run down those who do. I guess that’s at least one difference between you and I.
You either have a very poor memory or you don't read/comprehend well as I have told you numerous times before that I am a previous 911 owner times 2. You are the one who blows his hole incessantly about how much better Porsche is than Corvette. Good, we get it by now. As you say, you sold your Corvette and bought a much nicer car, a used 911. Yeah, we hear that too. We also hear your drool about superior fit, finish, blah, blah, broken record BS.

You "run down" as you put it, the corvette every chance you get and are the troll no matter how hard you try to hide it.

I'll be honest with all the Porschephiles here, just looked over a GT2RS oddly enough on display an event at Rockstar Harley Davidson in Ft Meyers. That car is absolutely awesome. Wow.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:17 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

You either have a very poor memory or you don't read/comprehend well as I have told you numerous times before that I am a previous 911 owner times 2. You are the one who blows his hole incessantly about how much better Porsche is than Corvette. Good, we get it by now. As you say, you sold your Corvette and bought a much nicer car, a used 911. Yeah, we hear that too. We also hear your drool about superior fit, finish, blah, blah, broken record BS.

You "run down" as you put it, the corvette every chance you get and are the troll no matter how hard you try to hide it.

I'll be honest with all the Porschephiles here, just looked over a GT2RS oddly enough on display an event at Rockstar Harley Davidson in Ft Meyers. That car is absolutely awesome. Wow.
Stating the facts isn’t a negative and yes the Porsche is nicer as it damn well should be for the price difference. Nothing would make me happier than to see GM follow suit with higher quality and I higher price tag if warranted. That’s what I am hoping for in the C8. However, the higher price tag may offend some. The good news is then you could be buying used C8’s like I buy used 911’s. LOL.

One serious question to a person that has owned 2 911’s and just viewed a new RS......is the Corvette on par with the Porsche in fit and finish and quality of materials in your opinion?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-23-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-23-2019, 06:38 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

One serious question to a person that has owned 2 911’s and just viewed a new RS......is the Corvette on par with the Porsche in fit and finish and quality of materials in your opinion?
my 911s were eons ago in the 80's and 90s, air cooled go carts. The GT2RS is really a race car from what I can see, carbon fiber whiz bang stuff every where. 911s, Boxsters/Caymans to me are quite overpriced at this point. I don't measure body panel gaps so I am likely not one to comment on that. There are 2 late model 911s here at our condo building and they more than there share of orange peel in their clear coats. The 911 interior is Spartan to the point of looking like that of an economy offering and appointed with the same plastic and faux metal as all the other cars.

This I can tell you, life is very short, shorter than you probably realize. I've had the pleasure of being in a circle of 6 lifelong friends and now at age 65 I am the only one alive. Take your status symbol with the fit, finish, and validation that you perceive and shove it as it doesn't matter whether it is real or not.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 PM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

This I can tell you, life is very short, shorter than you probably realize. I've had the pleasure of being in a circle of 6 lifelong friends and now at age 65 I am the only one alive. Take your status symbol with the fit, finish, and validation that you perceive and shove it as it doesn't matter whether it is real or not.
And that's exactly why I'm on the list for an early first year production. While every one else is waiting for the 2nd and 3rd year I'll be driving my new C8, and if I'm not happy I'll trade it in 2 years for a new one. Time waits for no man.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Donatella:
AORoads (03-24-2019), Suns_PSD (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Donatella
Time waits for no man.....
Well, I'd wait since my GS is only 2 years old. Time does not pay my bills; though I agree with the sentiment that when the C8 comes out, it will be an evolution and one I will seriously consider buying, in 3 years or so.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

my 911s were eons ago in the 80's and 90s, air cooled go carts. The GT2RS is really a race car from what I can see, carbon fiber whiz bang stuff every where. 911s, Boxsters/Caymans to me are quite overpriced at this point. I don't measure body panel gaps so I am likely not one to comment on that. There are 2 late model 911s here at our condo building and they more than there share of orange peel in their clear coats. The 911 interior is Spartan to the point of looking like that of an economy offering and appointed with the same plastic and faux metal as all the other cars.

I would invite you to drive a current model 911. I think you will find they are much nicer than they were 30-40 years ago. I bought my first Corvette when I was 24 and it was a 2 year old 1982. I thought it was kick *** then, but I bet my new 2019 Sierra with the 6.2 would beat it to 60. The Porsche brand has evolved for the better just like Corvettes. In summary, you like Corvettes and dislike anything or anybody that doesn’t fit your mold. At 65 years of age, you should have gained some appreciation and tolerance for people who don’t always agree with you. As to the status symbol, a Corvette is no different to you than a Porsche is to me. I have a second home and a boat that is well over $500,000......I don’t consider a silly $100,000 car a status symbol. I simply buy what I like. Today it’s a Porsche, tomorrow it may be a C8.....we will see! In the meantime, smelll the roses and try to be a little less “edgy”. Life is good my friend no matter what you chooses to drive.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-23-2019 at 11:07 PM.
jefnvk (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^^ Good writing. But just a little too much "edge." And, what does come thru nonetheless is, my wad is bigger than yours. Doesn't wash with me, but entertaining for many.
Red67John (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:00 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
^^^^ Good writing. But just a little too much "edge." And, what does come thru nonetheless is, my wad is bigger than yours. Doesn't wash with me, but entertaining for many.
Not my intention......but in the light of day get it! Point being a $100k car is not a status symbol for some.....simply a nice car.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-24-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:30 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

I would invite you to drive a current model 911. I think you will find they are much nicer than they were 30-40 years ago. I bought my first Corvette when I was 24 and it was a 2 year old 1982. I thought it was kick *** then, but I bet my new 2019 Sierra with the 6.2 would beat it to 60. The Porsche brand has evolved for the better just like Corvettes. In summary, you like Corvettes and dislike anything or anybody that doesn’t fit your mold. At 65 years of age, you should have gained some appreciation and tolerance for people who don’t always agree with you. As to the status symbol, a Corvette is no different to you than a Porsche is to me. I have a second home and a boat that is well over $500,000......I don’t consider a silly $100,000 car a status symbol. I simply buy what I like. Today it’s a Porsche, tomorrow it may be a C8.....we will see! In the meantime, smelll the roses and try to be a little less “edgy”. Life is good my friend no matter what you chooses to drive.
Oh my, you are actually pathetic. What would create the need for someone to post the value of their "second home and boat"?

I'll drop to your level once and give you a little back round on who you have failed to impress and continue to entertain. I am a physician/surgeon who has the luxury of fully enjoying an early retirement along with my wife who has a Phd in engineering and retired from a fine career that was even more financially productive than mine. We have a spacious new home in the northern US, a large condo in an upscale high rise on the gulf shore where units begin around 1 million along with 2 other condos in Europe.

Please spare me the big shot BS about your spending 100k on a used 911. Do yourself a favor, enjoy the car interest that we all share here and stop making a fool of yourself.

I really hesitated to respond on your simple level but you asked for it.

I'll go drive a 2019 911 understanding that it will be quite different than the '86 930 that I once owned and report back, maybe we can smokem' peace pipe at that juncture.
TNBUSA (03-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To I wouldn't blink an eye at $100,000.00

Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by wadenelson
Some "John Z" guy who promised a stainless steel sports car but delivered it with a Renault 4 cylinder.
I assume you are speaking about the DeLorean. If so, it originally was built with a 2.85L V6 supplied by Peugeot-Renault-Volvo., 130 HP/153 lb-ft with either a 5 speed manual or a 3 speed auto.

What was the horsepower of the 1981 Corvette? Maybe a 190 HP L81. Curb weight of the 1981 Corvette was 3282, but the 1981 DeLorean was a much lighter 2743.

Also John DeLorean had developed a twin turbo version of the V6 engine and had ordered 5,000 of the engines for the 1984 model year, but went into bankruptcy before he built any production cars(preproduction cars with the twin turbo were built before the bankruptcy)..
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Oh my, you are actually pathetic. What would create the need for someone to post the value of their "second home and boat"?

I'll drop to your level once and give you a little back round on who you have failed to impress and continue to entertain. I am a physician/surgeon who has the luxury of fully enjoying an early retirement along with my wife who has a Phd in engineering and retired from a fine career that was even more financially productive than mine. We have a spacious new home in the northern US, a large condo in an upscale high rise on the gulf shore where units begin around 1 million along with 2 other condos in Europe.

Please spare me the big shot BS about your spending 100k on a used 911. Do yourself a favor, enjoy the car interest that we all share here and stop making a fool of yourself.

I really hesitated to respond on your simple level but you asked for it.

I'll go drive a 2019 911 understanding that it will be quite different than the '86 930 that I once owned and report back, maybe we can smokem' peace pipe at that juncture.
Maybe we have more in common than I thought
Old 03-24-2019, 04:48 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

After reading just a few posts in this thread, it seems like there's more bickering and arguing than discussing the topic of the thread.

Thread Closed
The following 5 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
07MontyRed (03-24-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (03-24-2019), ByByBMW (03-24-2019), Grzldvt1 (03-24-2019), Red67John (03-24-2019)

Quick Reply: I wouldn't blink an eye at $100,000.00