Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wouldn't blink an eye at $100,000.00

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:50 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Why would anyone want a 911 or ZR1 when they could have a C6. Your livin the dream Telepierre!
For the same reason a guy like you has to have his 911 "status symbol" but can't afford new so he buys a used one.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Dilemma...
Amen C6 brother!

Picture it! Crazy Kids, demanding wife, and now pesky (C6 hating) 911 salesman's ringing at the door with crappy "3.1 GUARANTEED" while the dog is pulling on the boxers.. (pun intended).

Nah! the next sports car pic is going to take the same discipline, calm and cool headed thinking required for the current ones.

I swear, short of waiting for the C8 I would ship my 817HP Caravaggio laden C6 to Germany fetch 60K and 3x that to get a Vantage:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

PROBLEM IS the logistical upkeep...

Just like 911s, you can't really "touch" the car yourself.. and AM sends the white glove butler to fix things...

Will see...

Cheers

Last edited by Telepierre; 03-22-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
For the same reason a guy like you has to have his 911 "status symbol" but can't afford new so he buys a used one.
Punky, Punky,Punky......didn’t your momma ever tell you if you don’t have something nice to say don’t say anything at all. You would be one silent dude if you followed her advice. LOL
Old 03-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by torquenstein
the space issue is a very good argument, just not sure how they can maintain it with the mid engine design.
Why?

What is it about a mid engine car that somehow changes what the car is capable of?

Can a mid engine sports car play nice as a GT? Yup, just look at the Mclarens...even with CF monocoque chassis' which is inherently louder than an aluminum one, McLarens are livable cars.

Can you daily a mid engine car? I don't see why not.

Can you grocery shop in a mid engine sports car? Yes, yes you can.

Can older folks still get into the car? Yup, without the heavy side bracing of CF chassis, the door sills look to be pretty much the same as the C7 and will likely have similar ingress/egress.

Does putting the engine behind the driver somehow necessitate a higher cost for materials? No.

See, I just don't understand how GM taking the Corvette and making it mid engine will threaten its position as THEE performance bargain sports car. With Porsche abandoning reason and taking the 911 completely out of the equation for people contemplating sports cars in this range, the C8 is set for record sales. When I bought my C7 I checked out the Cayman, which was fun fully kitted out in Cayman R trim, but the nearly $100k price tag made me look at the 911's on the lot. With 911's starting over $110k, there is no possibility that I would even consider one. So what other car resides in this space? The Cayman still does, but it is under powered and has the stigma of being the "baby P-car", other than that, there is nothing. Mustangs and Camaros are not really eating into Corvette sales, the BMW and AMG sport sedans and coupes are not a threat.

So, GM has a perfectly positioned car that has no competition and can literally monopolize this segment, but you think that because the car is mid engine that it will somehow lose its position?

Huh?
The following 3 users liked this post by Supermassive:
Red67John (03-22-2019), scmgoblue (03-24-2019), Warp Factor (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:23 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Why?

What is it about a mid engine car that somehow changes what the car is capable of?

Can a mid engine sports car play nice as a GT? Yup, just look at the Mclarens...even with CF monocoque chassis' which is inherently louder than an aluminum one, McLarens are livable cars.

Can older folks still get into the car? Yup, without the heavy side bracing of CF chassis, the door sills look to be pretty much the same as the C7 and will likely have similar ingress/egress.

Does putting the engine behind the driver somehow necessitate a higher cost for materials? No.

See, I just don't understand how GM taking the Corvette and making it mid engine will threaten its position as THEE performance bargain sports car. With Porsche abandoning reason and taking the 911 completely out of the equation for people contemplating sports cars in this range, the C8 is set for record sales. When I bought my C7 I checked out the Cayman, which was fun fully kitted out in Cayman R trim, but the nearly $100k price tag made me look at the 911's on the lot. With 911's starting over $110k, there is no possibility that I would even consider one. So what other car resides in this space? The Cayman still does, but it is under powered and has the stigma of being the "baby P-car", other than that, there is nothing. Mustangs and Camaros are not really eating into Corvette sales, the BMW and AMG sport sedans and coupes are not a threat.

So, GM has a perfectly positioned car that has no competition and can literally monopolize this segment, but you think that because the car is mid engine that it will somehow lose its position?

Huh?
You're right on the money. Some people just want it to not be so simple for some reason.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:23 PM
pingrr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

for 100k i would expect the car to run 10.xx 1/4 and do 0-6 in 2.7-3.0 seconds

Last edited by pingrr; 03-22-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:39 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Punky, Punky,Punky......didn’t your momma ever tell you if you don’t have something nice to say don’t say anything at all. You would be one silent dude if you followed her advice. LOL
You should take your own advice and stop talkin crap here about Corvettes. What does this actually do for you.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Why?

Huh?
It's hard to daily drive a $100K+ car imo. It's just too stressful at least for little old me. Lots of A-Holes out there. And just careless people.

I guess you know you are rich when you don't care.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

What will the "purists" here do when it turns out the C8 only offers a six cylinder, and a V8 isn't an option?

Abandon their orders like the XJ-220 buyers?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:51 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by wadenelson
What will the "purists" here do when it turns out the C8 only offers a six cylinder, and a V8 isn't an option?

Abandon their orders like the XJ-220 buyers?
Oh, that's news, 6 cylinder Corvette? Where did you hear that one?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
It's hard to daily drive a $100K+ car imo. It's just too stressful at least for little old me. Lots of A-Holes out there. And just careless people.

Well I'm saying that the Corvette has been used as a DD by many people and it is one of the selling points for those individuals. Also daily driving a $100k car isn't really all that odd, I mean here in Silicon Valley $100k Tesla Model S's and X's are everywhere mixing it up with all of the shitty Priuses and Model 3's. The fact that people spend that kind of money for a commuter car blows my mind, because they aren't that luxurious, the Cadillac CT6 is much nicer to be inside than any Tesla, but hey they can go into "ludicrous mode" for a party trick.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Meh
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I'm saying that the Corvette has been used as a DD by many people and it is one of the selling points for those individuals. Also daily driving a $100k car isn't really all that odd, I mean here in Silicon Valley $100k Tesla Model S's and X's are everywhere mixing it up with all of the shitty Priuses and Model 3's. The fact that people spend that kind of money for a commuter car blows my mind, because they aren't that luxurious, the Cadillac CT6 is much nicer to be inside than any Tesla, but hey they can go into "ludicrous mode" for a party trick.
The CT6 cannot drive in the HOV lanes of Silicon Valley during rush hour without passengers. The Tesla can. That just might play a role...
Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Given the base price is going to stay within the range of the C7 +10-13% you will be so lucky to only need to spend $65-$70K for what you're looking for.

Good thing you're willing to pay $40K over market value though. Let me refer you to the Ford dealerships that will have $40K mark-ups on 2020 GT500's. They love impulsive and ungrounded people like you.
GM is no different. Early adopters will pay over sticker on a C8 as they did for C7’s. Obviously their are a lot of “ungrounded” people. You must be too young to remember😏
Old 03-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

You should take your own advice and stop talkin crap here about Corvettes. What does this actually do for you.
You need to work on your reading comprehension. Look at my avatar and you will see my museum delivered Corvette. Have you ever cared enough about the Corvette experience to pay extra for it......then pay extra again to travel and stay at BG? I have also made countless trips to the April Bash, so don’t think for a second I don’t care about Corvette. Odds are good I care more than you. However, my eyes are open to other cars that interest me. You may not realize this, but both the Corvette and Porsche 911 are very iconic cars with rich histories. As an owner of my first 911 I can tell you it’s a fantastic car....and yes, I do prefer it over my past C7 for several reasons. Does it cost more....yes. Does it feel like it....yes. Is it a higher quality car....yes. Is it easier to live with.....yes. Am I very interested in the C8 ME.....yes. That’s why I purchased a 4 month old 911 with 3,800 miles to beat around in until the ME and the 992 come out. Once I see both products I will place my dealer order. I would suggest you need to develop an understanding that some people like cars other than just a Corvette. You should also understand that Corvettes, like any car has their advantages and disadvantages. And finally, you need to come to the realization, that it’s possible to like a particular car but realize their are many cars available that are superior in a variety of ways. As it currently sits with the current generations I like both....but favor the 911. We will see what the next generation holds....hopefully sooner than later.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-22-2019 at 05:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. ice:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-22-2019), ByByBMW (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:08 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

To beat the bludgeoned horse, it's not 100k base. 10% or so increase; given the investment/re-tooling the plant, it's fair. We'll see how it looks, how it performs, and how long it holds together.

The Corvette, as has been noted frequently, is a bargain sports car, that's it's appeal and what makes it more accessible. GM will not re-slot the 'Vette into the exotic price field, aside from the ZR1/Zora trim.

Last edited by jivor; 03-22-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:26 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I mentioned to you before that Dr. ice doesn't talk "crap" about Corvettes. I explained to you in another post about my stand etc and you accepted that. Why can't you see that he supports Corvettes AND Porsche, just like I do?
The following users liked this post:
Dr. ice (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Cayman isn’t a 2 seat sports car?
Yes it is. It's low powered entering Miata territory. Has no business in the C7 league at all. Any more than the SUV Cayenne has anything to do with the C7. On comparative basis, neither belongs. Bring the 911. That's where the C7 is.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-22-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I wouldn't blink an eye at $100,000.00

Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

We care alright. We just choose to drive that $100K to work and DD. I don't have a car budget, I drive exactly what I want to pay for. $10s of thousands one way or the other doesn't affect my ability to afford what I want. Lots of us are in that lifestyle choice mode.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:47 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Yes it is. It's low powered entering Miata territory. Has no business in the C7 league at all. Any more than the SUV Cayenne has anything to do with the C7. On comparative basis, neither belongs. Bring the 911. That's where the C7 is.

Really. Power level on par with a Miata?

2019 Miata 181
2019 Base Cayman 300
2019 Cayman S 350

Sorry, I'd still take a Cayman GT4 over over any the C7 models. At least the GT4 has decent build quality, doesn't overheat on the track and hell, retains it's value.
ByByBMW (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Oh... the games that people play there ByBy (AKA Dr. wingman).

Any reader with modicum of reading comprehension can parse through all your Porsche ping pong games with the Dr. so he can pitch its fake 3.1 911 aspirational crap. You even make it "better" by suggesting the same stock 3400 pounds 911 with a little bit more than 300 Ft-lbs torque can do 2.8. LUNACY!

It's "I bought a Corvette" (IF that is even true) and the 911 is better because of unicorns and fairytales such as 3.1 and "Porsche underreports performance data. A literal copy and paste from $1 dollar waxed paper otherwise known as car magazine marketing.

THEN someone points out the dementia and you PULL the PC crap, play offended, and maybe conveniently reel back ready for the next thread.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

HOW IS IT THAT YOU TWO turn every thread not minimally related to 911s (such as this one) into a 911 discussion?

A: 911 marketing intoxication pure and simple and a 911 agenda (on a corvette forum).

Apparently no other options either.

I suggest dropping the waxed magazines and stop sniffing 911 glue....

Perpetrating the virtue signal you both like the Corvette AND 911 does not preempt nor lends a higher moral ground on CF members that like the Corvette AND don't like the 911. Especially when the later is wrapped in fakery.

Cheers
You have described both trolls to a "T" and correctly point out the fact that they do a Porsche fanboy dance in almost every thread that they post in.
Telepierre (03-25-2019)

Quick Reply: I wouldn't blink an eye at $100,000.00