Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If C8 is Auto...What will you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Or: GM did some projections based on today's and yesterday's take rates of the manuals, and can see the general decline of them.
One aspect I am still considering: I wonder how many manual people have them because a) right now, they are still the performance option to have for the Corvette track folks, b) they have to row gears, or c) because the current auto apparently sucks.

Groups A and C can easily be won over to a DCT, and likely will be in large numbers, What would a theoretical take rate strictly from group B be at?
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:27 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
One aspect I am still considering: I wonder how many manual people have them because a) right now, they are still the performance option to have for the Corvette track folks, b) they have to row gears, or c) because the current auto apparently sucks.

Groups A and C can easily be won over to a DCT, and likely will be in large numbers, What would a theoretical take rate strictly from group B be at?
its a good point, but I would also add/contend that level of performance model and typical trims/options should be considered as well (ie take rare of autos at base model vs take rate of, say, Z06/ZR1). Just an uneducated guess/opinion, but something tells me there’s more margin built into the upper level models & trims, etc., so this should factor in too, but perhaps not a significant gap after comparing production numbers of each.

Last edited by kozmic; 03-24-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 AM
flyforfun
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Keep my 2019 M7 as it will be the last FE Corvette with a Manual. If I buy something else, it will be a Porsche. At least they take care of the Manual lovers.
1Turbo (04-13-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 12:07 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Consider buying one.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:14 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

If its a DCT I'll take it 100 percent.

If its an A10 have to drive it.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:51 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Those darned new-fangled synchronized manual transmissions take all the fun and skill out of driving, and leave the driver feeling disconnected from the car, since they don't require double-clutching to downshift.

Then, to add insult to injury, they added that gosh-darned rev-matching. Shoot, might as well be driving an automatic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Warp Factor:
jefnvk (03-29-2019), Rapid Fred (03-31-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:18 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
...synchronized manual transmissions....gosh-darned rev-matching
Yeah, not sure I would lump these item into the same bucket - the prior having more to do with the mechanical action within the transmission, the latter having more to do with driver aide.

...but since you did, this is no where close to a fair comparison for justification of eliminating the manual.

Don't have it it on my car, but.... rev matching ≠ automatically shifted

Last edited by kozmic; 03-30-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:33 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Those darned new-fangled synchronized manual transmissions take all the fun and skill out of driving, and leave the driver feeling disconnected from the car, since they don't require double-clutching to downshift.

Then, to add insult to injury, they added that gosh-darned rev-matching. Shoot, might as well be driving an automatic.
there is no doubt rev matching takes some of the skill and engagement out of the experience
Rapid Fred (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 06:24 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmic
Yeah, not sure I would lump these item into the same bucket - the prior having more to do with the mechanical action within the transmission, the latter having more to do with driver aide.
Synchros in the transmission are very much a driver aid. It just happens to be accomplished mechanically rather than electronically, and made manual transmissions user-friendly for those who weren't skilled enough to know how to double-clutch.
Rapid Fred (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 11:05 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
This automatic dual clutch dct in the c8 is what is being offered.

just as people swore in past reveals all those who say they will never buy the next generation corvette because of xyz always come around.

this too shall pass for many and they will when the time comes buy a c8.

jmo
I have plenty of friends that are still driving their C5's and C6's as they don't like the styling of the C7. Not everyone "comes around" and buys a car they don't particularly care for. I can afford a C7, but will never buy one, as I don't like the styling. I'll keep driving my 56, and my 64, and my C6 Z06. Cars that I really like, styling wise.

Same goes for the C8. There will be those(and some will be C7 owners) that don't care for the short hood/long tail look of a mid engine sports car, thus will never buy one. I'm waiting for the mid-engine to come out, as are most Corvette folks, and will make my decision then if I like the short hood/long tail look that GM presents. If I do like the look, I will appreciate the DCT, as medical problems are making it difficult for me to drive a manual transmission. Currently, of the four cars I own, two are manuals and two are automatics. I swing both ways. LOL.

Reminds me of when Ford redesigned their Taurus years ago. Spent some 2 billion dollars doing so, and sales dropped 30% as people didn't like the rear window styling. Ford immediately recognized the problem and retooled the car to have a more standard rear window design, and sales picked back up to where they were with the 1st gen Taurus. Even people buying everyday day 4 door sedans don't buy what they don't like, styling wise.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-31-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:06 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 416 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have plenty of friends that are still driving their C5's and C6's as they don't like the styling of the C7. Not everyone "comes around" and buys a car they don't particularly care for. I can afford a C7, but will never buy one, as I don't like the styling. I'll keep driving my 56, and my 64, and my C6 Z06. Cars that I really like, styling wise.

Same goes for the C8. There will be those(and some will be C7 owners) that don't care for the short hood/long tail look of a mid engine sports car, thus will never buy one. I'm waiting for the mid-engine to come out, as are most Corvette folks, and will make my decision then if I like the short hood/long tail look that GM presents. If I do like the look, I will appreciate the DCT, as medical problems are making it difficult for me to drive a manual transmission. Currently, of the four cars I own, two are manuals and two are automatics. I swing both ways. LOL.

Reminds me of when Ford redesigned their Taurus years ago. Spent some 2 billion dollars doing so, and sales dropped 30% as people didn't like the rear window styling. Ford immediately recognized the problem and retooled the car to have a more standard rear window design, and sales picked back up to where they were with the 1st gen Taurus. Even people buying everyday day 4 door sedans don't buy what they don't like, styling wise.
But Joe, you have a nice selection of beautiful cars to drive...no need to look anymore, lol!
Old 03-31-2019, 02:07 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'll buy it. My knees are shot so my three pedal days are done.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:36 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Get 'em replaced. EZ-peasy and clutching is no problem. Many other enjoyable things (e.g. walking 18 holes and playing tennis) also in play for many more years.

Worth the 2 months of rehab.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:33 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
If the C8 comes out in automatic only, what will you do....
Buy one.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:34 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
This automatic dual clutch dct in the c8 is what is being offered.

just as people swore in past reveals all those who say they will never buy the next generation corvette because of xyz always come around.

this too shall pass for many and they will when the time comes buy a c8.

jmo
That's assuming the only car they would consider is a Corvette. Not everyone is married to the Corvette brand. Porsche has manuals.

Last edited by Michael A; 04-01-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

In vitro fertilization will get my wife pregnant faster, is easier and more efficient. But knocking her up the old fashioned way is a lot more fun.

I did a track day in a GTR back in 2011 and it was blindingly fast, and easy to run very consistent fast laps in it but it just wasn't fun. The automatic transmission (and the understeer) along with the AWD just made each lap a point and shoot exercise. Fast, but boring. Like in vitro fertilization. Gets the job done "better" but I like the involvement of manual transmissions and great sex.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffInDFW:
ByByBMW (04-01-2019), Michael A (04-11-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 09:10 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
In vitro fertilization will get my wife pregnant faster, is easier and more efficient. But knocking her up the old fashioned way is a lot more fun.

I did a track day in a GTR back in 2011 and it was blindingly fast, and easy to run very consistent fast laps in it but it just wasn't fun. The automatic transmission (and the understeer) along with the AWD just made each lap a point and shoot exercise. Fast, but boring. Like in vitro fertilization. Gets the job done "better" but I like the involvement of manual transmissions and great sex.
This gets my vote as the best post in this entire thread, if not the entire CF.

Get notified of new replies

To If C8 is Auto...What will you do?

Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 AM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

New interior photos (not April fools) leaked today and sure enough, another C8 mule with PRND. Not one single spy shot of a manual transmission to date.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:22 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha
New interior photos (not April fools) leaked today and sure enough, another C8 mule with PRND. Not one single spy shot of a manual transmission to date.
You'll never see another Corvette M. Count on it.
ByByBMW (04-03-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:48 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

mmmm let me think.... I will buy one like most of the other 80% of C7 corvette buyers that do.. ....but now it will be 100%
V Vette (04-09-2019)

Quick Reply: If C8 is Auto...What will you do?