Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If C8 is Auto...What will you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:00 PM
C8UR911
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 138 Posts

I won’t buy a first year car. I won’t buy a stingray. If the Z model only comes with a auto, it better be a spectacular dual clutch, it better be at least somewhat reasonable to service, and it better have a shelf life of at least 100,000 miles before i need to worry about replacing dual clutch parts. I owned a GTR and will not make the mistake of buying another costly DCT to maintain.

if all those variables are not satisfied, I am buying a C2 and calling it a day.
The following users liked this post:
GM5778 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Scratch my Nut sack............. and think about it.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by C8UR911
I won’t buy a first year car. I won’t buy a stingray. If the Z model only comes with a auto, it better be a spectacular dual clutch, it better be at least somewhat reasonable to service, and it better have a shelf life of at least 100,000 miles before i need to worry about replacing dual clutch parts. I owned a GTR and will not make the mistake of buying another costly DCT to maintain.

if all those variables are not satisfied, I am buying a C2 and calling it a day.
Good point. I can't imagine a DCT lasting anywhere near as long as a well driven manual. A DCT tries to mimic an torque converter automatic with clutches.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
The original Corvette only came with an automatic transmission. The Corvette is finally getting back to its roots.
The 53-54 Corvette was also powered by a straight 6 (Blue Flame) and didn't sell well. It was almost axed then.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.
GM5778 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Heyitsryan20
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
I would very much prefer my C8 with the third pedal after the A8 I had in my 2016 Z06. No complaints about that automatic transmission at all, relatively smooth during normal driving with lightning fast shifts under hard acceleration. I can fully understand why many guys love this config. especially if the car is a daily driver in traffic. The automatic took most of the fun out of the car for me.
Agreed! It is pretty ideal as a daily if you deal with massive amounts of traffic though.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I really don't understand the constant comments about manuals being such a pain in heavy traffic. I've been commuting in the 2nd worst traffic in the nation in manuals for a couple of decades now, and it's an unconscious reflex. I guess I also have sound legs and knees. Walking is a bigger pain.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
kozmic (04-17-2019), p3pilot (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 AM
Heyitsryan20
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I really don't understand the constant comments about manuals being such a pain in heavy traffic. I've been commuting in the 2nd worst traffic in the nation in manuals for a couple of decades now, and it's an unconscious reflex. I guess I also have sound legs and knees. Walking is a bigger pain.
I'm 100% a manual fan and will drive one until I can do so no longer. However, as you mentioned it can be a pain depending on people's physical conditions/abilities. the DC area is definitely bad traffic wise, but I've had some dates in Houston traffic where an automatic would have been nice.
bgspot (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I agree with you as traffic doesn’t bother me either. I think the ones that complain are to busy eating,drinking or smoking while driving. They want that free hand.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Good point. I can't imagine a DCT lasting anywhere near as long as a well driven manual. A DCT tries to mimic an torque converter automatic with clutches.
Obviously you don't know how a DCT works. If it mimics something, it's the clutch in a manual transmission car.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 04-17-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:24 AM
jtryba
Cruising

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Buy it
Old 04-17-2019, 11:43 AM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

I agree with you, except we can't take what works for us and project that onto others. I'm a manual guy all day long but if it comes DCT only, it will be a long hard decision for me between that and a c7 z06 manual
The following 2 users liked this post by bgspot:
Foosh (04-19-2019), GM5778 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:06 PM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

I've gone back and forth on this several times. I will always want the latest and greatest Corvette but I also prefer the manual way more than the automatic. My plan is to trade my 2017 in on a C8 when my number comes up with Mike Furman. If I absolutely can't live with the DCT I'll just find a used 2019 Z06 and call it a day.
GM5778 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 AM
GM5778
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
more current data shows the take rate for manuals dropping to 22%, Z06 was a little higher at ~28%. Manuals sell less and less across the years. These are final 2018 numbers as posted here, https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...te-model-year/
My $.02. Years ago I used to sell cars for GM and know that there is a problem with all this data stating the % of auto bought is X so that makes it popular. These number are mostly a misrepresentation because very very few people order a Corvette and wait the 6-8 weeks for it. Most are bought off dealer lots from existing stock, which means a GM Sales Manager selects the cars and options he wants. So with that any Sales Manger worth his salt has to hit his gross sales numbers for the month, quarter and year and one of the easiest ways to get your gross sales up is to pack cars with options, hence the 78% of ZO6s in 2018 sold with autos as an example. Sales Managers know the car as some demand and know when they have a guy in the showroom they can put him in a one w/auto because the purchase is emotional, not rational. Now, no Sales Manager makes his numbers on Corvettes, but you get the idea. I've seen and done this many many times with all different types of cars including CTS-Vs, Corvettes and Camaros. "Well if you take this one right now, we'll give ya an extra $500 off and free car washes for a year." Most people take these deals even if the car isn't exactly what they wanted, especially on the car they've dreamed about. So although the numbers are real, it's not the guy that wants the Corvette that orders the auto for himself, it's just that they are usually so excited that they'll accept a "good deal" on a car they can have right away auto or not.
joemessman (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 09:03 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by GM5778
My $.02. Years ago I used to sell cars for GM and know that there is a problem with all this data stating the % of auto bought is X so that makes it popular. These number are mostly a misrepresentation because very very few people order a Corvette and wait the 6-8 weeks for it. Most are bought off dealer lots from existing stock, which means a GM Sales Manager selects the cars and options he wants. So with that any Sales Manger worth his salt has to hit his gross sales numbers for the month, quarter and year and one of the easiest ways to get your gross sales up is to pack cars with options, hence the 78% of ZO6s in 2018 sold with autos as an example. Sales Managers know the car as some demand and know when they have a guy in the showroom they can put him in a one w/auto because the purchase is emotional, not rational. Now, no Sales Manager makes his numbers on Corvettes, but you get the idea. I've seen and done this many many times with all different types of cars including CTS-Vs, Corvettes and Camaros. "Well if you take this one right now, we'll give ya an extra $500 off and free car washes for a year." Most people take these deals even if the car isn't exactly what they wanted, especially on the car they've dreamed about. So although the numbers are real, it's not the guy that wants the Corvette that orders the auto for himself, it's just that they are usually so excited that they'll accept a "good deal" on a car they can have right away auto or not.
This is a really interesting discussion. It's kind of a chicken vs. egg conundrum. Are the dealers orderings mostly autos (which they definitely do, go on the website of any major dealer and check their inventory) due to it just being a safer bet and the added cost option providing a bit more profit when they do move one? Or is it based off metrics and experience of manual cars sitting on lots unsold for months? I would be fascinated to look at the percentage of manual cars ordered vs. autos for custom factory orders. I wonder if anyone can get those numbers? I'm sure the manual numbers are higher here. However, can that be explained by two reasons; people are forced to place custom orders to find a manual cars due to dealers not ordering them for stock? Or are the people placing custom orders more likely to be "enthusiasts"? Thus putting them in the camp of those more likely to want a manual? There's lots of interesting angles to look at this one from.

As to my own answer for the OPs question... we've seen the order guide, the first year C8 Stingray will not offer a manual... I've responded by ordering a stick shift ZR1. Now, come 2-3 years from now who knows, maybe there will be a manual, or maybe the C8 "Z06/ZR1" versions will be so compelling I won't mind going back to a DCT car again? (former GT-R owner) Hard to say for sure, but either way, I'll be happy owning the greatest and last of the classic Vette for a few years either way. No wrong choice, just need to buy what makes you happy in the end.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bgspot
I agree with you, except we can't take what works for us and project that onto others. I'm a manual guy all day long but if it comes DCT only, it will be a long hard decision for me between that and a c7 z06 manual
Absolutely, but it also works the other way around. The primary point of my post is that auto advocates frequently project on others that manuals are terrible in heavy traffic. That's simply not true for a skilled and physically fit manual driver.

I really expect that I'm going to like the C8, but I won't be purchasing one unless the manual comes back. As I've said many times before, I've owned really fine DCT auto and TC auto sports cars, but ultimately got bored with them and bought a C7 primarily because it can be had with a great manual transmission. Thus, I'm not talking hypotheticals here, I know based upon real life experience and preference.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I buy a Corvette for the pure enjoyment of driving and want it to be completely different than my daily driver. A manual transmission for me in a Corvette or any performance car is a must! I have had a few automatic transmission Corvettes and find that a good portion of the fun factor is gone. There is no doubt that today's automatics are quicker than the manuals and the dual clutch will be even better. I don't drag race or track my Grand Sport so the slightly quicker numbers to 60 or the 1/4 mile in an automatic mean nothing to me.
Maybe someday I will change my tune, but for now, I will stick with the manual. Would be nice if the C8 will offer a manual, but it is doubtful!
Old 04-19-2019, 06:10 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

If the C8 is DCT only, I'll save a lot of money by not trading in to buy a C8 because I'll stick with my C7 M7 for the rest of my life.

Get notified of new replies

To If C8 is Auto...What will you do?

Old 04-19-2019, 06:28 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default If you wanna shift fast........

I've driven several exotics with dual clutch automatics and even though I love my six-speed manual, I have to admit that the automatic easily beats the manual. If you need to play with something, you can try to use the paddles to beat the computer, But I doubt that you will
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliforniaJack:
CorvetteMikeB (04-19-2019), Lacquer (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Bbourne2009
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

So are you guys/gals corvette enthusiasts or fast manual car enthusiasts? If no Manual trans is an automatic deal breaker what do you really even like about the corvette in the first place. You can go buy a different car now and get started with all the leg pumping you want. I’m genuinely curious.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:16 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

If C8 is Auto...What will you do?

Buy It!!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by CorvetteMikeB:
Lacquer (04-19-2019), Walt White Coupe (04-20-2019)

Quick Reply: If C8 is Auto...What will you do?