Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone seen a C8 get gas, and then start and drive away afterwards?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

And nothing reported here will be either. Epic thread fail, as was your initial theory that lights on means engine running.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-23-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:21 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
i was also going to bring this up before, but those cars are the ring cars... they drive a mile from the GM shop, to the ring.

They may not even have full interiors or all electronics active, they are on the ring to set times, and watch temperatures.

Needless to say, their batteries would be on chargers at all times while they are in the GM compound, and IF there was something that would cause the cars to stall out, GM would disable that component, and not turn it back on until later road testing, AFTER they thought they had the problem solved (aka this point in time, yet, the problem is still not solved obviously)

Again... all the people with camera phones...

here in the USA, and you guys dont find it a bit odd, that we dont have any other gas station shots, OTHER than the 2 where the cars died and refused to restart?

Think about it for a bit.

Futher, I can shut off all the lights on my car while it is idling... if one guy was backing the car up, and then got out, the brake lights and reverse lights could be off by the time this photo was taken, and the car still could be idling.

Nothing you are posting is conclusive.
But certainly everything YOU'RE posting is conclusive....

MODS:
Help us out and KILL this thread. The premise was ridiculous to start, and now it's just a POS full of guesses/half-truths/made up crap.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-23-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

That's the way this whole part of the forum goes these days. There are those who show up here making pronouncements about some sort of flimsy evidence representing some sort of definitive proof of something, followed by the realists, who point out why what they think stuff means is proof of nothing. And so it goes . . .

Last edited by Foosh; 03-23-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:31 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

What a stupid thread. GM will not release a car that won’t start up after fueling.

That said where are these photos of engine trouble? I’ve ony seen a couple pics of people looking in the trunk.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I think he actually has a C7Z.

He's been banned previously under different usernames. When he was posting under the username irun4cops or something like that, he had quite a few postings about the his C7Z.
Thats B----, his lemon is already ruled upon and finalized.

I am not him, but i know him. He is the one who taught us there is a problem.

There are several of us, and we keep searching for more people who actually have the problem (it requires you drive your car kind of fast on a frequent basis, so those who have the problem, fit right in with the rest of us)

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-23-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

i was also going to bring this up before, but those cars are the ring cars... they drive a mile from the GM shop, to the ring.

They may not even have full interiors or all electronics active, they are on the ring to set times, and watch temperatures.

Needless to say, their batteries would be on chargers at all times while they are in the GM compound, and IF there was something that would cause the cars to stall out, GM would disable that component, and not turn it back on until later road testing, AFTER they thought they had the problem solved (aka this point in time, yet, the problem is still not solved obviously)

Again... all the people with camera phones...

here in the USA, and you guys dont find it a bit odd, that we dont have any other gas station shots, OTHER than the 2 where the cars died and refused to restart?

Think about it for a bit.

Futher, I can shut off all the lights on my car while it is idling... if one guy was backing the car up, and then got out, the brake lights and reverse lights could be off by the time this photo was taken, and the car still could be idling.

Nothing you are posting is conclusive.
Keep searcjng for clues The pic in post #83 with no lights on and apparently the engine off, appears to be same car and driver as a car in post #37 with the tail light and back up light on during the same pit stop, but from a slightly different angle, and then pulling out after getting gas. Both appear to be in Germany.

No body mentioned the “ring cars” until you see it with the lights off and need a reason to assume there is a special reason. And, how in the hell do you KNOW the car would be on a charger while parked in the “compound” or that they would disable components for road testing?

To gather evidence, an investigator questions the witnesses and suspects, but never tells them what he THINKS he knows. He does not talk or interject his hypothesis, He listens attentively and only then asks follow up questions to their answers. .
Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

We have a half dozen solid, reliable posters on this forum who have worked or do work in the auto industry, and they have been intimately involved in testing new models. They continually point out that the type of stuff certain people here get bat **** hysterical about is completely normal on every new model in the testing phase.

They repeatedly point out that mules are not finished cars, and that they are tested with all kinds of different software or module configurations. Any or all of these test configurations can cause malfunctions during the testing phase.

Yet the amateurs here go on and on and on about little or nothing, based upon little or nothing. All new models are subjected to rigorous, long-term testing for a reason, but too many here are incapable of comprehending that.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-23-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:43 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red67John
Keep searcjng for clues The pic in post #83 with no lights on and apparently the engine off, appears to be same car and driver as a car in post #37 with the tail light and back up light on during the same pit stop, but from a slightly different angle, and then pulling out after getting gas. Both appear to be in Germany.

No body mentioned the “ring cars” until you see it with the lights off and need a reason to assume there is a special reason. And, how in the hell do you KNOW the car would be on a charger while parked in the “compound” or that they would disable components for road testing?

To gather evidence, an investigator questions the witnesses and suspects, but never tells them what he THINKS he knows. He does not talk or interject his hypothesis, He listens attentively and only then asks follow up questions to their answers. .
If you took the time to try to comprehend what i posted, it does not matter for 2 reasons... those were cars testing on the ring long ago. Since that time, the cars being driven on the road, here in the usa have a problem, and need towed. It has happened twice (that we know about). Both times we know about were at gas stations.

I am looking for present day cars, here in america on video... not photos of cars today, (and not photos of ring cars from a long while back, which would have had their own pit crew diagnosing them 22 hours of 24 hours of the day).

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-23-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:51 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

They may not even have full interiors or all electronics active,
That is true of pretty much any camo car, not just ring cars. Again, when I get into a camo car, the only system I can truly know is in a good state is the one that we make and and are responsible for. It is a pain enough to get cars back to the OEM to update modules we need to do our work, let alone the hundreds of other modules that we don't. There is a really good reason none of these cars are sold to the public, and that is because it is a monumental task to keep track of every part in them that is being touched by who knows how many different suppliers over a couple year design cycle..

I don't put much thought into the light state of my vehicle while fueling at all.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
We have a half dozen solid, reliable posters on this forum who have worked or do work in the auto industry, and they have been intimately involved in testing new models. They continually point out that the type of stuff certain people here get bat **** hysterical about is completely normal on every new model in the testing phase.

They repeatedly point out that mules are not finished cars, and that they are tested with all kinds of different software or module configurations. Any or all of these test configurations can cause malfunctions during the testing phase.

Yet the amateurs here go on and on and on about little or nothing, based upon little or nothing. All new models are subjected to rigorous, long-term testing for a reason, but too many here are incapable of comprehending that.
Here you go, the Discovery Channel special on the C6 development.
To confirm your thoughts on the amateurs incessant hand wringing, check out the video at 41:02 mark.
Foosh (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jefnvk
That is true of pretty much any camo car, not just ring cars. Again, when I get into a camo car, the only system I can truly know is in a good state is the one that we make and and are responsible for. It is a pain enough to get cars back to the OEM to update modules we need to do our work, let alone the hundreds of other modules that we don't. There is a really good reason none of these cars are sold to the public, and that is because it is a monumental task to keep track of every part in them that is being touched by who knows how many different suppliers over a couple year design cycle..

Right, and as you said in your other post before this one, all the modules from all the different vendors and suppliers, those modules, when tweaked, may interfere with other modules and mess up the car's ability to start again...

thus the reality it is common sense NOT to shut the car off while out in the public space. Do it back at the compound if necessary, but not in the public.

In any event, the c8 is not close to done, if they are still having to sort out electronic modules from conflicting with each other.

So if you are GM, do you roll the dice and reveal now in and HOPE you make your deadlines for production? Or do you wait until you have a good grasp on the problem, have it solved, know exactly what modules and components you are going to use, and then reveal it after all of the bugs are out?

So we have a car that died a few months back, and now we have another car that died this past week... so whatever GM did to try to solve the problem between the last failure which caused the cars to vanish off the road for a while prior to this failure, was not the solution.

So im saying, i would not be surprised if there is further delay, and I am curious from this point forward, does GM order the supplier and factory test drivers NOT to shut off the car in the public, that way no more negative publicity can occur?

If this order from GM takes place, we would know when cars are left running in times they should be shut off otherwise (gas pumps)

So its a red flag IF someone can get video footage of a car being left to idle when it should be off (at the gas pump)

If we get video footage of a car shutting off and starting up again at the pumps, without issues, then we know they are making progress and ALSO have the confidence to shut it off in public, when public humiliation is on the line.

That's all that this thread is about. Asking people to keep their eyes open and helping them understand why these little clues are important.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-23-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:21 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

So im saying, i would not be surprised if there is further delay, and I am curious from this point forward, does GM order the supplier test drivers NOT to shut off the car in the public, that way no more negative publicity can occur?
Outside a few dozen people on this forum, there is little negative publicity. Yeah, Jalopnik might have their laughs for an afternoon, but then the next day a Dodge truck will be broken down, then an Acura sedan, and then so on and so forth and the focus will be off them. It is the nature of the beast with camo cars. Now, if you want photo-op bad publicity, think two camo'd Camaros broke down on I75 right out front of Chryslers HQ that I saw one time

But no, we're not keeping cars off the road because something might break. If it breaks, we call a tow truck. It really is that simple. We've got car covers and a phone number to call if someone is badgering for pics for a reason. Can't stop development until everything is perfect, because nothing will ever be perfect unless you are actively developing. Th eonly time cars are pulled off the road is if there is a serious safety issue that arises, not just general gremlins that need dealt with.
The following 2 users liked this post by jefnvk:
Foosh (03-23-2019), Mikec7z (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:22 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Mike, are you a member of https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.com/ - they have some great info on testing over there.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i dont spend much time there, no
Old 03-23-2019, 06:58 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Lots of C5's (including mine) had to be towed, because the steering column lock failed to unlock. The car would start just fine, but was rather difficult to drive.
Mikec7z (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

im familiar with this myself

I also found it ironic, in the video jimmyB posted, that it talks about the fuel pumps rubbing. I know that you know about that as well warp, and it was a c5 problem, and GM would not acknowledge that one at the time either, but at least they would swap the pumps under warranty.

Video shows GM did not even tell their own engineers until the c6... when their engineers told them apparently

The problem was for those of us who did upgrades and no longer had a warranty... finding a fuel pump that did not fail was like playing the lottery, and the cost of a ticket was lowering a tank in and out of the car.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-23-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

This thread is .
Mikec7z (03-23-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone seen a C8 get gas, and then start and drive away afterwards?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

im familiar with this myself

I also found it ironic, in the video jimmyB posted, that it talks about the fuel pumps rubbing. I know that you know about that as well warp, and it was a c5 problem, and GM would not acknowledge that one at the time either, but at least they would swap the pumps under warranty.

Video shows GM did not even tell their own engineers until the c6... when their engineers told them apparently

The problem was for those of us who did upgrades and no longer had a warranty
For me, the problem happened with a higher capacity pump, but from the same supplier as the OEM pump. My speculation is that GM discovered the decreasing clearance problem as the fuel and pump heated up, and eventually corrected it by increasing the clearance, but that this change didn't go into effect on larger pumps from the same supplier.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:29 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

walbro 255
Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

i dont spend much time there, no
You should keep it that way.
Mikec7z (03-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen a C8 get gas, and then start and drive away afterwards?