Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CNBC: 2020 Corvette C8 targets Ferrari and McLaren...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:52 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Don't know about Ferrari but for what Porsche is concerned I read interesting things on the Florida Porsche lawsuit.

Salesman Sookralli says Porsche dealership told him to sell cars and it is Porsche dealership responsibility to deliver those cars (allocations)
Porsche dealership says they did not have allocations for those sales
Among other things Judge has to look into whether it is legal to market a car for sale when it is really not for sale...
Did he claim they told him to deposit the money in an account he setup and controlled as well? Guy was a thief, plain and simple. There is really nothing to look at, he falsified documents, falsified bank accounts, and spent all the money on his own.

I can blame the dealer for perhaps not doing enough oversight on their employees, but at least they stepped up and refunded customers out of their own pocket in exchange for them signing over claims against the salesman for the dealer to pursue.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:26 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Don't know about Ferrari but for what Porsche is concerned I read interesting things on the Florida Porsche lawsuit.

Salesman Sookralli says Porsche dealership told him to sell cars and it is Porsche dealership responsibility to deliver those cars (allocations)
Porsche dealership says they did not have allocations for those sales
Among other things Judge has to look into whether it is legal to market a car for sale when it is really not for sale...
It wasn’t a Porsche dealer. The guy started a company called Champion Autosport to collect all the deposits.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines...918-story.html

Last edited by TARANTULA; 06-07-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:48 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

All it's really known right now is that there are 2.5 million worth of deposits missing and no cars. I am curious as to how it gets all resolved.
The only problem would be if the sales guy lied, and told the customer that he had an allocation which he didn't have. I assume that the suit must be for a GT car since they are in short supply with obnoxious ADMs. But I would have to think buyers of cars like a GT3 and GT2 are knowledgeable buyers and understand that allocations for these cars are limited. 991.2 and 991.2 Ss are plentiful.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:56 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
It wasn’t a Porsche dealer. The guy started a company called Champion Autosport to collect all the deposits.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines...918-story.html
Thanks for the memory jogger. I am aware of this case, and the sales guy is a crook. I thought there was another case where some disgruntled customers were upset about not getting their Porsche in a timely manner.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:08 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

All valid points. I'll admit do not know much of how the allocations for GT cars work but nonetheless I am not so sure that at the end this looks good. It seems to me one of the parties took advantage of the limited edition thing...

Will see.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:05 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sly1
The only problem would be if the sales guy lied, and told the customer that he had an allocation which he didn't have. I assume that the suit must be for a GT car since they are in short supply with obnoxious ADMs. But I would have to think buyers of cars like a GT3 and GT2 are knowledgeable buyers and understand that allocations for these cars are limited
Yeah, but another way to look at it? Lots of folks here seem to phone order Corvettes through high volume dealers, which as far as I understand is how he was successfully operating his scheme. If you think you are going through a reputable dealer, who generally has some allocation, and when you called he said they had what you wanted, how are you to really know he's told the last dozen people the same thing and his dealership doesn't have the aplocation?
Old 06-07-2019, 04:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yeah, but another way to look at it? Lots of folks here seem to phone order Corvettes through high volume dealers, which as far as I understand is how he was successfully operating his scheme. If you think you are going through a reputable dealer, who generally has some allocation, and when you called he said they had what you wanted, how are you to really know he's told the last dozen people the same thing and his dealership doesn't have the aplocation?
I don't buy ANY car without seeing and driving it...PERIOD.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:38 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Update on the fraudster:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/05/...d-of-stealing/
Old 06-07-2019, 05:09 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I don't buy ANY car without seeing and driving it...PERIOD.
Yeah, but that also means you likely don't buy limited edition or highly sought after or first wave of a new release or even simply custom order either. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but many do want those things. If I ever buy a brand new Corvette, you can be sure it is going to be custom ordered to my exact specs.

Unless I get a really good deal on something sitting on the lot, which is what derailed that plan my last two generic car purchases...
Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

About 20 year ago there was a Savings and Loan in my County that was offering 8.5% on regular savings, when every other bank was offering about 5%. The Savings and Loan advertised heavily. and I was momentarily tempted to move a significant amount of money into that bank, but I decided not to because it just didn't add up. How could they offer a 70% higher interest rate than their competition. So I. didn't make the move. The guy who ran the Savings and Loan was a crook, and ran what was essentially a Ponzi scheme.
I cited this because it has some similarity to the Porsche fraud case. Porsche GT2, GT2RS, and GT3RS are very limited production cars. They are so rare that virtually all the new ones are sold to customers who have a special relationship with the dealership, i.e., those who have spent well over a million dollars with the dealership. In many cases these owners keep the car for a few months and then flip them, often selling them for $50K over MSRP. So when a dealer has one of these cars for a buyer that has no or little relationship with the dealer, alarm bells should go off. I do appreciate your point about dealing with a reputable dealership, but caveat emptor should always prevail. If it seems too good to be true, buyer beware.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Yeah, but that also means you likely don't buy limited edition or highly sought after or first wave of a new release or even simply custom order either. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but many do want those things.
Truth be told, I did order a new Camaro customized to my spec 35 years ago (Sorry, I forgot about that).
If I ever buy a brand new Corvette, you can be sure it is going to be custom ordered to my exact specs.

Unless I get a really good deal on something sitting on the lot, which is what derailed that plan my last two generic car purchases...
What I do now is look on the internet for a car that fits my spec (or comes very close to it), travel to the dealer, drive it, and if I like it, write a check (after beating them down as far as I can on price).

Now IF I was buying a new Exotic (not likely at my age), I wouldn't hesitate on ordering one.
However, I would have to drive their test car first.

Originally Posted by sly1
About 20 year ago there was a Savings and Loan in my County that was offering 8.5% on regular savings, when every other bank was offering about 5%. The Savings and Loan advertised heavily. and I was momentarily tempted to move a significant amount of money into that bank, but I decided not to because it just didn't add up. How could they offer a 70% higher interest rate than their competition. So I. didn't make the move. The guy who ran the Savings and Loan was a crook, and ran what was essentially a Ponzi scheme.
You were wise, sir.

Quick Reply: CNBC: 2020 Corvette C8 targets Ferrari and McLaren...