Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette-why not reuse old design?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts
Default New Corvette-why not reuse old design?

This question has been on my mind for a while now. Maybe there are reasons why this does not happen but I always wondered.....

For example why not remake the C6 style corvette but with the added technology of now and make those? The body molds GM would still have the. Concentrate on a new interior, new electrics and you have a new corvette that kills it.

Is this not done to protect the 2nd hand market industry of that model? Seems like car designs are going down hill but the technology aspect is going forward. From the latest pictures this new C8 looks like it is going to be a let down design wise.

Popular Reply

04-13-2019, 06:33 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Because a lot of people wouldn't buy what is seen as an old design. I sure wouldn't.

Other than a few die hard, old school C6 fans, the re-release of that design would be a failure for GM and they would lose the new buyers they are trying to attract. Design evolves, preferences evolve... some people get stuck in history or just want it to never change but that's only a few people.

You may not like the C8 design (like some didn't like the C7 at first), but it is continued needed progress and evolution and many people love it and it will attract new buyers. There is already a discussion on the Porsche forums with people talking about leaving Porsche. A re-release of the C6 design would have the opposite impact except to please a small number of owners stuck in history.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:33 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Because a lot of people wouldn't buy what is seen as an old design. I sure wouldn't.

Other than a few die hard, old school C6 fans, the re-release of that design would be a failure for GM and they would lose the new buyers they are trying to attract. Design evolves, preferences evolve... some people get stuck in history or just want it to never change but that's only a few people.

You may not like the C8 design (like some didn't like the C7 at first), but it is continued needed progress and evolution and many people love it and it will attract new buyers. There is already a discussion on the Porsche forums with people talking about leaving Porsche. A re-release of the C6 design would have the opposite impact except to please a small number of owners stuck in history.
The following 12 users liked this post by gthal:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-13-2019), bgspot (04-16-2019), Foosh (04-13-2019), Frankie2blue (04-14-2019), jnc4558 (04-13-2019), mattkilla2015 (04-16-2019), Micster (04-13-2019), octaneman (04-17-2019), RonC7 (04-13-2019), TSanders (04-16-2019), V Vette (04-13-2019), Weasel (04-13-2019) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2019, 06:40 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Yeah - very few people want new innards on old car designs.

Although those old hardtop convertible Lexus SC430s I'm seeing people rehabbing and driving all over Dallas would be perfect for such a thing... so maybe you're onto something, after all.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

The C6 market was already fairly saturated, and sales were declining. Hence the C7, and then the C8.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

I guess if they want to make a new design why can't they make it better than old designs. Why can't they hit it out of the park with nice flowing lines. I guess it don't matter if people are putting down deposits on cars without even seeing them. Just because it is newer by no means it is better. Why can't GM bring out designs that rival Ferrari, Lamborghini etc.... Surely to create an amazing design on a car compared to bad design the cost difference will not be all that much.

If I look at the car designs on the street in this era you have to wonder who the hell are designing these cars. Some just look horrendous. But if the most important thing to a car these days is for the build date to be new release then nothing else really matters.

I guess I am in the minority of people buying cars that are actually nicely designed and not by build year. I just hope the C8 looks a lot different to the latest pictures once it gets revealed.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:46 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
This question has been on my mind for a while now. Maybe there are reasons why this does not happen but I always wondered.....

For example why not remake the C6 style corvette but with the added technology of now and make those? The body molds GM would still have the. Concentrate on a new interior, new electrics and you have a new corvette that kills it.

Is this not done to protect the 2nd hand market industry of that model? Seems like car designs are going down hill but the technology aspect is going forward. From the latest pictures this new C8 looks like it is going to be a let down design wise.
just remake the c6z as it was. All the new technology on the c7 did not make a better car. The only things I feel was an improvement was the seats on the c7 being more comfortable and the lt4 not prone to dropping valves. . Other then that — direct injection, displacement on demand , a silly dashboard, a supercharger that’s too small that generates too much heat with a poorly designed intercooler are not technology improvements.

Hopefully the c8 will be s light normally aspirated car with 600 hp

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 04-13-2019 at 07:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Gizmo:
Mikec7z (04-13-2019), Too-Fast (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:59 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

If I were to choose a previous generation Corvette to bring back, it certainly wouldn't be the C6.

C2 for the win
The following 5 users liked this post by TA:
ColoradoGS (04-13-2019), Corgidog1 (04-13-2019), Psychodo (04-14-2019), V Vette (04-13-2019), Weasel (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:09 AM
gthal
Safety Car

I guess if they want to make a new design why can't they make it better than old designs. Why can't they hit it out of the park with nice flowing lines. I guess it don't matter if people are putting down deposits on cars without even seeing them. Just because it is newer by no means it is better. Why can't GM bring out designs that rival Ferrari, Lamborghini etc.... Surely to create an amazing design on a car compared to bad design the cost difference will not be all that much.

If I look at the car designs on the street in this era you have to wonder who the hell are designing these cars. Some just look horrendous. But if the most important thing to a car these days is for the build date to be new release then nothing else really matters.

I guess I am in the minority of people buying cars that are actually nicely designed and not by build year. I just hope the C8 looks a lot different to the latest pictures once it gets revealed.
This is a bit of a silly post with all due respect. Design is subjective. People don't buy cars they think are ugly. Just because YOU don't like more modern and current design does not mean most (or even very many) people share your perspective.

My personal opinion is the C8 will, in fact, be BETTER than the old designs. I don't buy just a "new" car based on build year but only cars I believe are nicely designed. My opinion is most people are the same. Just because YOU don't like the design of the C8 and are stuck on older models does not preclude a lot of people liking/loving the new design of the C8 (which we still haven't truly seen). Personal taste varies and some people just don't like new things. That's fine but what you are suggesting above is, as I said, a bit silly.

This EXACT same thing happened with the C7 and it turned out that a lot of people loved the design, it sold really well and was a huge success. The C8 will be no different regardless as to whether some people can't get past the early 2000's.

Last edited by gthal; 04-13-2019 at 08:12 AM.
CorvettoBrando (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:14 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
This is a bit of a silly post with all due respect. Design is subjective. People don't buy cars they think are ugly. Just because YOU don't like more modern and current design does not mean most (or even very many) people share your perspective.

My personal opinion is the C8 will, in fact, be BETTER than the old designs. I don't buy just a "new" car based on build year but only cars I believe are nicely designed. My opinion is most people are the same. Just because YOU don't like the design of the C8 and are stuck on older models does not preclude a lot of people liking/loving the new design of the C8 (which we still haven't truly seen). Personal taste varies and some people just don't like new things. That's fine but what you are suggesting above is, as I said, a bit silly.

This EXACT same thing happened with the C7 and it turned out that a lot of people loved the design, it sold really well and was a huge success. The C8 will be no different regardless as to whether some people can't get past the early 2000's.
Great stuff! Also, personal taste may vary but like in architecture, there is an order and truth in what is good design.

Last edited by V Vette; 04-13-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Hey, if were gonna go old design how about going way back and pull a modern design out of Astro II. To bad that car didnt make production in 69 or early 70s.

PC
The following 2 users liked this post by Darion:
CorvettoBrando (04-13-2019), TSanders (04-16-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 10:43 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Because people who come up with these ideas don;t really have a grasp on exactly what goes into producing a car, or have much of an understanding of the automotive market. The Corvette is a fringe car most non-launch years anyhow, operating on the margins of what makes sense for GM to continue producing. There is no want or desire for GM to produce 500 C6s a year when they are selling 20k C8s in 2022.

Now, if you want to talk about something like a C2 styled cheap roadster, the way Ford did a retro T-Bird or GM played with the SSR a few years back, I could MAYBE see an argument. Bring a stock C6 back? Nah.
CorvettoBrando (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

You vastly underestimate the complexity of vehicle integration. Read All Corvettes Are Red.

Now if all you want is better interior materials and smartphone integration / digital dash, there are vendors who can help you do that to your own C6.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jinx:
CorvettoBrando (04-13-2019), Zaro Tundov (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Old 04-13-2019, 11:58 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Um…No!

I loved my 2007 C6 when I had it, but by the time I sold it in 2014 it was definitely looking dated to me.

Bring on the next generation!
Old 04-13-2019, 12:07 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

This concept is pretty strong in the restomod community.

A very popular (and expensive) trend for Corvette enthusiasts has been updating early generations (C1 & C2) with present day technology/performance.

I've seen numerous examples cross the blocks on Barrett-Jackson and Mecum auctions... pulling serious money.

I would imagine though that this wouldn't be a profitable approach for major manufacturers that need a certain volume of sales. The demand wouldn't be there to sustain it.

Last edited by FrankLP; 04-13-2019 at 12:10 PM.
jefnvk (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I loved my C5, I loved the C6 and I love my C7. I like to move forward and I think that the C8 will exceed expectations.
tcweidner (04-15-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 12:12 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I’m looking forward to new ideas. Not reissues of C6, and especially C5.
jefnvk (04-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette-why not reuse old design?

Old 04-13-2019, 12:18 PM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I previously suggested for GM to emulate the Ferrari 812 Superfast...move the engine back about a foot and add front wheel drive making it all wheel drive. I hope the C8 looks a lot better without the camo, now it looks a little ungainly, I like the long hood short back look.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:22 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
I previously suggested for GM to emulate the Ferrari 812 Superfast...move the engine back about a foot and add front wheel drive making it all wheel drive. I hope the C8 looks a lot better without the camo, now it looks a little ungainly, I like the long hood short back look.
You should consider upgrading to the C7. The 7 is a nice step forward from the 6, and offers what you're looking for.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:37 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

The best example of a new car successfully emulating an old body shape is the Dodge Challenger:

Those sold pretty well.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcsperson:
jefnvk (04-13-2019), tcweidner (04-15-2019)

Quick Reply: New Corvette-why not reuse old design?