Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The look of a mid engine car/Corvette, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 01:50 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM87
In the 66 years of Corvette, there hasn't been one I haven't liked. Sure everyone has a bad angle once in a while, but I don't think anyone can deny, as a whole, Chevy has made a sharp looking car. These took me all of 15 minutes to find online, and yes, some of these are "modified" in one way or another, but the point is to show how perfect the lines of everyone of these generations are. Trust me when I say, we are in great hands.

Feel free to share this post on every thread started talking about how disappointed someone is with the design of the C8 before actually seeing it.

C1

C2

C3

C4

C5 (Edit: decided to throw my own in here)

C6 (Edit: here too )

C7
Every single one of these cars has been lowered waaaaayyyy to much. Don't slam your cars kids.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:55 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

As I said, Porsche is gradually moving the engine forward:

Car and Driver reports that despite the new 911 RSR race car adopting a mid-engined layout, the new 911 will retain its rear-engined setup, as expected. However, there’s a possibility that the engine may be nudged forward slightly in an effort to improve balance and weight distribution.”

While the engine still may be rear access, the 911 almost certainly will end up being geometrically mid-engined, even while Porsche doesn’t emphasize it.

Still, my question stands—is a mid-engined 911 still a 911? Is the current 911 RSR—clearly mid-engined—still a “911”. Porsche thinks so—still call it a 911. I say it is and a mid-engined Corvette is still a Corvette....

Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 02:29 PM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
As I said, Porsche is gradually moving the engine forward:

Car and Driver reports that despite the new 911 RSR race car adopting a mid-engined layout, the new 911 will retain its rear-engined setup, as expected. However, there’s a possibility that the engine may be nudged forward slightly in an effort to improve balance and weight distribution.”

While the engine still may be rear access, the 911 almost certainly will end up being geometrically mid-engined, even while Porsche doesn’t emphasize it.

Still, my question stands—is a mid-engined 911 still a 911? Is the current 911 RSR—clearly mid-engined—still a “911”. Porsche thinks so—still call it a 911. I say it is and a mid-engined Corvette is still a Corvette....

Thoughts?
the difference is porsche sells one format, races another. GM will sell and race a mid-engine corvette.

something about the "as long as you keep the platform we don't give a F where you put the engine" rules in IMSA

as a bona-fide pcar hater I just chalk it up to keeping the porsche tradition of shady racing which includes dirty driving and loose interpretation of regulations.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:46 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwoolyg
the difference is porsche sells one format, races another. GM will sell and race a mid-engine corvette.

something about the "as long as you keep the platform we don't give a F where you put the engine" rules in IMSA

as a bona-fide pcar hater I just chalk it up to keeping the porsche tradition of shady racing which includes dirty driving and loose interpretation of regulations.
Ya gotta give Porsche credit however as they are unquestionably the masters of automotive deception. What other car company can sucker thousands into believing that their 6 cylinder VW brother is worth twice as much as a car that looks far better and outperforms it. It is no surprise that this company cheats to defend its "image". How many Porsche owners have we all met who honestly believe that there is no car that outperforms their precious sports car, hilarious.

I could care less where Porsche put their 911 engines. They are ugly and ridiculousy overpriced regardless of where the motor is.
The following users liked this post:
WalterSobchak (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Ya gotta give Porsche credit however as they are unquestionably the masters of automotive deception. What other car company can sucker thousands into believing that their 6 cylinder VW brother is worth twice as much as a car that looks far better and outperforms it. It is no surprise that this company cheats to defend its "image". How many Porsche owners have we all met who honestly believe that there is no car that outperforms their precious sports car, hilarious.

I could care less where Porsche put their 911 engines. They are ugly and ridiculousy overpriced regardless of where the motor is.
  1. The added cost of a 911 is actually a write-off when you consider how well they retain value vs other cars, especially a Corvette. As we all know in this forum, buying the Corvette is cheap. Owning one and upgrading every few years is EXTREMELY expensive compared to Porsche ownership.
  2. You are in an extreme minority if you think a C7 Stingray looks better than a 991 Carrera S.
  3. The tactile feedback to the driver in the 911 is an entirely different league than the Corvette's. Some people care about this a lot.
  4. Practicality. I can put my daughter in the backseat of a 911. I can drive it in the snow.
  5. Build quality. This isn't even debatable. Chevy has fallen behind even the S. Koreans in terms of build quality of their cars. There isn't a single car GM makes, including the C7, that can com even close to what a Hyundai Genesis or Kia Stinger has in terms of fit/finish/interior accouterments, etc. Porsche is on another level here.
None of these things have anything to do with how fast the car is around a track which is an entirely different conversation. I think the C8 could possibly improve on a LOT of the things I've listed above which is why I am super interested in following this car and might yet again add a Corvette in my garage.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
  1. The added cost of a 911 is actually a write-off when you consider how well they retain value vs other cars, especially a Corvette. As we all know in this forum, buying the Corvette is cheap. Owning one and upgrading every few years is EXTREMELY expensive compared to Porsche ownership.
  2. You are in an extreme minority if you think a C7 Stingray looks better than a 991 Carrera S.
  3. The tactile feedback to the driver in the 911 is an entirely different league than the Corvette's. Some people care about this a lot.
  4. Practicality. I can put my daughter in the backseat of a 911. I can drive it in the snow.
  5. Build quality. This isn't even debatable. Chevy has fallen behind even the S. Koreans in terms of build quality of their cars. There isn't a single car GM makes, including the C7, that can com even close to what a Hyundai Genesis or Kia Stinger has in terms of fit/finish/interior accouterments, etc. Porsche is on another level here.
None of these things have anything to do with how fast the car is around a track which is an entirely different conversation. I think the C8 could possibly improve on a LOT of the things I've listed above which is why I am super interested in following this car and might yet again add a Corvette in my garage.
I agree with everything you said except for #4. Since most Corvette drivers are over 60, I doubt that a back seat(or lack of one) means anything to them. I know that I would never try and fit my 53 year old daughter into the back seat of a 911. The Corvette has more practically as it will easily fit a couple of walkers in the back.

As for snow, the Z06 can do it, while towing a snowmobile.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Joe, if that is you pulling that snowmobile in the snow, you are my new hero. A real man among men!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:29 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I have to agree love all 7 generations - looking forward to seeing #8 -

Quick Reply: The look of a mid engine car/Corvette, etc