Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 needs a track focused lightweight model

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:46 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
The business case doesn't pencil out. Try stripping one down yourself and you'll see what the problem is. The bottom line is, no matter what your argument is, it's not going to happen. Everyone likes to watch Leroy on the strip, but no one wants to drive Leroy on the street.
How does the business case for at least three different trims and a couple different performance package levels work out, but a stripped down base model without AC or power seats or dozens of speakers or such doesn't? And if we accept that the Corvette shouldn't be anything but comfort, why worry about weight at all?

I guess I just view it as one other trim level to go with a myriad of options already available. I honestly have no idea how well it would sell, but the economics of it are really no different than offering customizable interiors, graphics packages, etc. As the order is going down the line, just like any order, it is just certain parts that get bolted on while others are left off.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:57 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
So, why offer the likes of Cup 2 tires on Corvettes then?
Because of bench racers. Same answers for "why offer CCBs"? I've seen ONE Vette with CCBs at the track. And I go extremely frequently and instruct. In a year, I probably see maybe 20 Vettes total.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:01 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

How does the business case for at least three different trims and a couple different performance package levels work out, but a stripped down base model without AC or power seats or dozens of speakers or such doesn't? And if we accept that the Corvette shouldn't be anything but comfort, why worry about weight at all?
Because it's not a "trim level." You are advocating stripping down a car to save weight. That's major surgery. Just what are you going to take out of the car to save any appreciable weight? Just to use an analogy, a trim level is like changing your clothes. You exchange your jeans and t-shirt (1LT) for a three piece suit (3LT). But to "de content" a Vette you need to lose 100 pounds. It's going to take awhile and require some serious will power. It's a lot more difficult to accomplish.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:05 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm holding out hope they'll do a C6Z style version with lightened bits (alum/magnesium frame, carbon fenders etc) and a refreshed version of an LS7 with 575-600whp.

now that would be killer

But likely just a pipe dream.....
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

As mentioned in a couple of posts today, there really are not that many Corvette owners that track their cars. I would guess it’s well under ten percent. However, I would agree that GM could, probably should, offer a COPO ordering option for the hard core performance buyers. That makes perfect sense. Shy of that, the serious track crowd will have to just do what has always been done, gut the weight from their cars. The only difference today is you sell all that weighty stuff on Craiglist or eBay.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I guess I just view it as one other trim level to go with a myriad of options already available. I honestly have no idea how well it would sell, but the economics of it are really no different than offering customizable interiors, graphics packages, etc. As the order is going down the line, just like any order, it is just certain parts that get bolted on while others are left off.
consider researching how many fifth gen camaro z28 s without air conditioning were ever sold to the public.

i think porsche offers it a few supposed track models with no air conditioning and then charges extra to have a customer add the ac....id imagine most porsche enthusoasts add the ac back in.

same for hellcats or demons.....for a dollar i think ac got added back in and everyone added ac back in...

there is a certain basic level that consumers really want...

i remember johnny liberman and a few other magazine writers laughing and rioting about having to drive a z28 or a mclaren that was optioned out as a road test vehicle and it didnt come with ac....

thats a little too hard core even for the dreaming writers of car magazines or podcasts...

everybody or most everybody likes ac...

just something to consider
Suns_PSD (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Simple answer - VOLUME.

Many have already tried to tell you this, but you seem to insist that there will be thousands (that the volumes of the different trims/performance packages) willing to buy this stripped version. The reality is that there won't be enough buyers to get the volume required.

As for "parts are simply bolted on or left off", how do you just "leave off" the A/C compressor? What do you do with the serpentine belt that now doesn't fit? Not to mention the different wiring harnesses that would be required. The various control modules are expecting things to be connected to those and will throw all kinds of codes without the right inputs.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:36 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Because it's not a "trim level." You are advocating stripping down a car to save weight. That's major surgery. Just what are you going to take out of the car to save any appreciable weight? Just to use an analogy, a trim level is like changing your clothes. You exchange your jeans and t-shirt (1LT) for a three piece suit (3LT). But to "de content" a Vette you need to lose 100 pounds. It's going to take awhile and require some serious will power. It's a lot more difficult to accomplish.
Just from a quick glance at the 1LT list, I'm guessing I could shed a good chunk of that 100# by replacing 8-way power leather seats and power steering column with manual lighter options and trimming back on a 9-speaker Bose stereo. Some quick searching on the forums show C7 seat and base weight somewhere in the 60# vicinity each, which isn't insignificant.

Can you get to a point of diminishing returns quite quickly with weight savings? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of low hanging fruit on the current base offerings, especially to someone already looking for performance, not comfort.

But if folks here want to write the car off as not something people care about driving on a track anyhow, carry on
Suns_PSD (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Agree 100% with the OP. Make a purist version of the C8 without all the weight adders (unnecessary or seldom used features).

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 04-23-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:57 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Sexy an idea as it is, a factory "track" Corvette makes no marketing sense. I'd argue that the C7 Grand Sport is as close to a track special as you can (and probably want to) get. Now, if they offered a "stripper" with Z51 and no A/C, Radio, sound insulation..etc, etc, for $6-8K under "base", it would sell... but that won't happen.

Comparing the mythical "track" C8 to a Porsche GT3/RS, is apples to cumquats... they are two totally different buyers, totally different markets.

The reality is "what is good for the street is bad for the track, and vice versa"... dual use Street/Track cars are generally compromised cars lousy at both roles.

The folks who suggest that you just buy a low option car, and build a track car yourself, are pretty much on the money.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:58 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

But if folks here want to write the car off as not something people care about driving on a track anyhow, carry on
I'm thinking it would take more than 100 pounds, especially sice you'll need to account for the weight of a roll bar cage. That was just an example and referred to shedding body weight for a human, not pounds off a corvette. But more to the point, it's not so much that people on this forum agree or disagree with you, it's what GM is willing to do. The consensus here appears to be that they won't. But you can keep waiting for it anyhow. Carry on.

Last edited by mschuyler; 04-23-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Just let the engineers who did the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 do the C8 Z51:

1. Thinner glass

2. Thin carpet with minimal padding.

3. Minimal 4-speaker stereo with no sub no extras

4. Light weight manual seats (OEM C7 seats are 70 lbs each!)

5. Light weight forged wheels; OEM Z51 rear wheels are 27 lbs each vs. the C5 Z06 rears at 20 each.
z06801 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:25 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Just from a quick glance at the 1LT list, I'm guessing I could shed a good chunk of that 100# by replacing 8-way power leather seats and power steering column with manual lighter options and trimming back on a 9-speaker Bose stereo. Some quick searching on the forums show C7 seat and base weight somewhere in the 60# vicinity each, which isn't insignificant.

Can you get to a point of diminishing returns quite quickly with weight savings? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of low hanging fruit on the current base offerings, especially to someone already looking for performance, not comfort.

I see you’re new around here so welcome to the forum and corvette ownership! Over the years GM has responded to the market and loyal owners with upgrades...do these things weigh more, usually yes.

My C5 Z06 had a crappy Bose 4 speaker radio...this was a continual criticism. Now we have a 10 speaker system that is pretty good.

Another long standing complaint were the shitty seats that you sat on and not in. How do you provide more adjustable support and bolsters...with powered accessories. The C7 seats both sport and GT have generally garnered praise as moving in the right direction. Sure you can put manual lightweight bolstered seats in, but how many would go that route? I have Porsche GT2 carbon fiber buckets in another car, they are manual, don’t recline, and are non adjustable. When new, most ordered no cost sport seats instead...what does that say?

Sometimes making a car more track focused requires heavier components and added systems like diff and cooling found on the C7...that adds weight.

Other things like CCBs add huge expense, but hey happy GM gave us that option for weight savings even though most deride that option on the forum and doesn’t sell well.

GM produced 400 Z/28s w/o radio, ac, carpet, etc...they cost twice as much as an SS and largely sat around for years on dealer lots.

If you want a track focused car, you can make all the lightweight mods yourself, much cheaper than GM or send it off to a vendor like Katech.
jefnvk (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:57 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
What you believe, and what's actually fact are two different things. You're making broad assumptions here, and you're basically wrong on all of them.

The problem is, absolutely, and 100%: "business case". It's just not there. There's no getting around it. The cars just won't sell in the volume that GM would need to justify the cost. That is: business case. It has nothing to do with "parts binning" the car; it has to do with the costs involved in NOT ordering the stuff that they put in the rest of the cars. Also, if they go all out and start stripping stuff out of the car, they run the serious risk of hitting something that requires redoing the government crash testing. That's more expense, right there. If they change the weight too much, it may affect the city gas mileage, too (in a positive way, maybe). More testing. More money.

Of course GM could do all of these things. Easily. But you're going to pay for it. And so am I. And so is every other Corvette buyer. There's no reason for GM to go all-in with a track-only version when 10-20 if them will be sold each year. People say they want it; in truth they really don't. GM can't (and shouldn't be expected to!) build something that will only win magazine races. They need something that actually sells.
I'm fully and well aware of all the details and parameters you outlined here. The fact is though, history rejects this position...history within GM itself in fact.

It seems by your description you're making a few assumptions about how extensive and faceted the "package" needs to be or not be (fully gutted or bespoke in nature). A "track pack" car doesn't need to extensive, simply distinctive...a car that says you're that guy. ZR1 fenders on a grandsport, different wheel tire package/suspension calibration, maybe a titanium exhaust (throwback to C5Z), no sound deadening, make the numbers, sell it in limited quantity as last manual focused Corvette...blah blah blah...would've sold to the old crowd that doesn't want the car, but wants the limited nature and exclusivity. Engineering is about problem solving and if an engineer wants to make it happen, they'll make it happen..period. There are a number of approaches to a weight reduction/focused car that aims at that niche, the fact is do the people involved in the business case process want to put the energy into solving the issue or not. I'm going to say, absolutely not.

From the business case perspective, I assume you have to bring each individual project to the board and propose the entirely outline of cost, impact, projections, etc, but late in the chassis cycle I'd imagine there is "more flexibility" built in. I believe this is how ZR1 came to be. This wasn't a pre-approved program early in the life cycle of the chassis, but the return on investment must've opened that door and made certain ears and minds more receptive. The fact is, choices get made as to what that car is and isn't..marketing, design, engineers; I am sure all debate how that business case gets made and what projections go with it. End of day though, people at the top are going to build what THEY want to build because they have that power. Change a few people on that chain and you won't end up with the same ZR1...it's that simple.

So, I understand you have the predisposed position to repeat what Tadge repeats...no business case, just niche, won't sell, etc. Keep in mind though, C4 was given a sunset order, and a small group of people rejected that notion, and ended up making the business case for it, because they wanted it bad enough. Tadge simply didn't want it. Why...because he's soft...just like Harlan is soft. Tadge wanted out of C7 as fast as possible to get to sealing his legacy in...the mid engine...luckily the economy supported a strong C7 showing in a short amount of time, to get to the ZR1.

I'll tell you flat out, Tadge's explanation in the past for his lack of "business case" was founded based upon bs parameters, which told me clearly that no enthusiast car would pass his desk. He said flatly, that "if there were a strong desire for track focused Corvettes, that 1LT Z06's with the Z07 upgrade would've been selling like hotcakes"....that's just a fools statement That statement, was scarily ignorant of reality. Track guys, who are knowingly going to track their Corvette aren't going to buy a Corvette with carbons on it, due to the consumable cost. 2nd, if you're going to track a Z06, you're equipped absorb the high cost of doing so, and you're very likely a guy who is only going to hold the car for 2-3yrs MAX (under warranty), so buying a 1LT would be foolish, come resale time. That also being said though, there are a hell of a lot of Grand Sport 1LT's sold...implying there are customers willing to pay more to get more handling, Z51, mag ride, more grip, but keep a basic interior and a reliable naturally aspirated engine.

Tadge didn't want it, Harlan didn't want it...it didn't happen because GM sees Corvette solely as a product, not as a legacy...the brand legacy is a marketing bonus, but Gm has no passion for Corvette, as a brand...they don't care about it, and it shows at the races, at the events, at SEMA, you name it.

You disagree...yeah, I know...add something new to the conversation that Tadge hasn't repeated over and over.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 04-23-2019 at 05:01 PM.
z06801 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:05 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

I agree with much of your post, but I don't agree that Tadge and Harlan don't have passion for the brand; I just don't see that. I do agree 100% that the C7 was a stop-gap car and the C8 is the car they really wanted to be working on. I'm fine with that.

One "Ask Tadge" question was "What would you have done with another $100M in development budget" regarding the C7 and the drastically slashed budget vs. the $900M ask (probably the ask to make the C7 ME car), His answer was they would have offered more special focused cars like a "track focused" variant. So clearly it is something they think about.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:14 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

I didnt say they didn't have passion...they definitely have passion. They just don't have *****...and when I say that...I say it like...how scarface would say it...if you catch my drift. I have plenty of in person conversations with both that, while I absolutely respect their expertise, knowledge, contribution and passion, can also acknowledge and realize that the car they would choose to drive is not the car we are discussing in this thread.

I think to speak specifically to that point you made, what Tadge is really saying is, if the proposal became more risk free to him personally and others in the chain, they would go that route. On a more limited budget, they made safer choices is all, versus legacy setting choices. Doesn't mean they're wrong, but it does mean they're moving the rudder a certain way. This can be seen in brands over the years, that while all the bean counters and business cases looked like the right choices, one day they ended up down a path that was the end.

I think Viper tends to be this example some people point to, but there were so many follies, debacles and differences in the SRT effort and the position Corvette resides in that they can't even be compared.

Inevitably the brand will end up somewhere...but JVP and folks who seem to blindly defend certain decisions seem to ignore the fact that GM themselves have made massive errors in judgement on their business cases because the case itself is loaded with false parameters. End of day, the top guys build what they want to build and thus, steer the direction of the brand.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 04-23-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The AMG GT R Pro is an excellent example of a sports car that was built in limited numbers(750) to make it more track worthy, by shaving weight, adding some adjustable suspension bits, and adding downforce generating aero bits.

It also shaved 6 and a half seconds off the AMG GT R at the Ring(7:4 vs 7:10), using the same identical 4.0L V8 577 HP drivetrain. The AMG GT R Pro is not a stripped car either, and it is expensive and has all the comforts of home.

Do some research and see how much more you have to pay for a AMG GT R Pro over an AMG GT R. I really doubt that you would find 750 Corvette lovers willing to pay what the AMG lovers are willing to pay for their "lightweight" track car, that is 100% licensable for the street.

Of course, you can wait to see what the AMG GT R Black Series brings to the table, especially if it has the 4.0L V8 out of the AMG GT 63 S 4 door coupe with it's 630 HP.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-23-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 needs a track focused lightweight model

Old 04-23-2019, 05:38 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

I'm thinking it would take more than 100 pounds, especially sice you'll need to account for the weight of a roll bar cage. That was just an example and referred to shedding body weight for a human, not pounds off a corvette. But more to the point, it's not so much that people on this forum agree or disagree with you, it's what GM is willing to do. The consensus here appears to be that they won't. But you can keep waiting for it anyhow. Carry on.
Oh, yeah we circled back to two different definitions of track car. I'm not envisioning a caged track ready beast, just a stripped down street prep (if you will) version with less comfort features and maybe a bit of performance add-ons.

I certainly understand an economic argument about why they wouldn't, I just have a hard time accepting Ford can do it and GM can't, whether it be stripping some weight off a still mostly street car or selling a fully caged track only option
Old 04-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The 99 FRC was supposed to be the stripper model. They didn't sell many and that probably drove development of the C5 Z06. GM did sell about twenty 99 FRC kit cars over the parts counters to qualified race teams. There just isn't that much of a demand for stripper cars right out of the factory.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-23-2019 at 05:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
JerriVette (04-26-2019), Shaka (04-25-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:36 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

The economy of 99, HPDE's of 1999, the fact that Corvette's perception and the demo in 99...not relevant.

A "Stripper" model is not what's being discussed here...it's more of a "Weisach" pack Grand Sport or something similar. A comfortable car, simply tweaked in the way that the C5Z was tweaked beyond the base car. Something like going from a GT3 to a GT3RS. No one is proposing a Copo camaro or straight to the track car...this all stems to the C6 Z06X, which pratt and miller built. It wasn't a massive departure and it was simply a concept, but it was just a slightly more focused, slightly more capable, more HDPE ready version of a Z06. Something similar in the Grand Sport...just slightly more focused, slightly tweaked, for the cost of a Z06, in limited quantity at the end of the run. Easily acknowledged at this point, that the window is closed...never gonna happen...and not likely going to happen to the next car either.

Other brands make a business case for it; other auto makers do it, opposition of Corvette doing it says it's just flat out impossible to sell. I think there is plenty of data to reject that....it just needed to be a calculated execution, and GM wanted to distance themselves from "track"...that's the bottom line. The lawsuit of Z06, the walk away from Nurburgring, etc...all speak to GM's unwillingness to put themselves in the "track" space...not because of buyers, but due to other factors.
GM5778 (04-24-2019)

Quick Reply: C8 needs a track focused lightweight model