Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette Zora analysis

 
Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM
  #1  
skank
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Carmel CA
Posts: 2,457
Received 705 Likes on 351 Posts
Default C8 Corvette Zora analysis

YOUR THOUGHTS

C8 CORVETTE ZORA ANALYSIS

1. Reveal Logic
2. Nomenclature Logic
3. Pricing Logic
4. Bowling Green Plant size and space utilization Logic
5. Ownership Preference Logic
6. FE vs ME Model configuration Logic

1. Reveal Logic
  1. When the ME price is finally revealed, it will be the indication of where GM has positioned the car relative to the current and future FE Corvette.
  2. They will reveal the ZORA first and gauge the buy in and interest on the ME platform.
  3. After the delayed time frame, they will reveal the C8 FE with new body work, interior, DCT/Auto/Manual transmissions, new front fascia with enhanced cooling.
  4. This delay time frame could be as short as 6 months or as long as 2 years depending upon the initial interest of the ME.

2. Nomenclature Logic
  1. The Corvette nomenclature (science of naming) will be a big determining indicator of whether they build both C8 FE and ME.
  2. GM should never use the Stingray, Grand Sport, Z06, and ZR1 model names on the ME as those were developed during FE seven generation time span.
  3. GM should develop an entirely new nomenclature for this entirely new ME configuration.
  4. The C8 generation is based on an entirely new shared design of car that is upgraded with the latest tech for both FE and ME configurations.
  5. The C8 generation is also a time based change.

3. Pricing Logic
  1. There should be a hierarchy in the C8 generation FE and ME price bandwidth.
  2. FE price bandwidth 62k - 160k with a lower starting base price to pacify the existing market
  3. ME price bandwidth 85k - 200k with a higher starting price to allow a up market higher end model
  4. ME Cadillac GT price bandwidth 95k - 170k

4. Bowling Green Plant size and space utilization Logic
  1. They have tripled the Bowling Green plant sq. footage.
  2. The new paint system is on the #1 basement level of the four level 460’ x 1,000’ new main building.
  3. There is the additional new 369,000 sq. ft. manifold building which connects the old plant to the new main building.
  4. There is now approximately 3,132,000 square feet of Bowling Green plant vs 950,000 SF of the old plant.
  5. Logic indicates that more than 1 configuration will be built at the expanded plant.

5. Ownership Preference Logic
  1. Some of us are very interested in a ME and have no intensions of getting a FE going forward.
  2. Some of us have owned Corvettes and other exotic mid engined cars and can give a different ownership perspective.
  3. Those of us that have owned both configurations understand the positive and negative aspects of both.
  4. Most on this forum have an allegiance to the Corvette.
  5. The ME should be upscale over the FE to expand the Corvette buyer demographic.

6. FE vs ME Model configuration Logic
  1. Some of the reasons both FE and ME configurations will continue are below.
  2. Having both configurations to satisfy a broader buyer clientele.
  3. Most traditional Corvette owners still want a FE as it is still perceived as a more practical car.
  4. Transitioning the C7 FE to a C8 FE is far easier to achieve than creating the entirely new C8 ME.
  5. The ability to modify a FE is easier to accomplish than a ME.
  6. Though the ability to modify Corvettes are increasingly becoming more difficult because of tech advancements.
  7. The new ME ZORA is not conducive to modifying as it is far more advanced technically than the FE.
  8. The ability to work on and service the car is much easier on a FE because of engine accessibility.
  9. A potential ME Cadillac GT version of the ZORA will be upscale with a higher level interior.
  10. Both C8 FE and ME configurations will be both left hand or right hand drive to expand into the British Commonwealth countries worldwide.
  11. C8 FE Stingray —— Soft Top Convertible/Coupe - DCT/Manual Transmissions
  12. C8 FE Grand Sport- Soft Top Convertible/Coupe - DCT/Manual Transmissions
  13. C8 FE Z06 ———— Soft Top Convertible/Coupe - DCT/Manual Transmissions
  14. C8 FE ZR1 ———— Soft Top Convertible/Coupe - DCT/Manual Transmissions
  15. C8 ME ZORA ———- Folding Hard Top Convertible/Coupe - DCT Transmission
  16. C8 ME ZORA RS —- Folding Hard Top Convertible/Coupe - DCT Transmission
  17. C8 ME ZORA SS —- Folding Hard Top Convertible/Coupe - DCT Transmission
  18. C8 ME ZORA E Ray - Folding Hard Top Convertible/Coupe - DCT Transmission

Last edited by skank; 04-24-2019 at 06:57 AM.
skank is offline  
The following users liked this post:
savage99ss (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM
  #2  
TXshaggy
CF Senior Member
 
TXshaggy's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country Texas
Posts: 1,140
Received 423 Likes on 283 Posts
Default

When we see a C8 FE camo mule running around then Iíd say itís a couple years out. Until that time, then would say FEs are done.
TXshaggy is online now  
The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
mattkilla2015 (04-23-2019), Ram907 (04-28-2019), ZERRY 316 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:10 PM
  #3  
pietro c7
CF Senior Member
 
pietro c7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 1,122
Likes: 0
Received 332 Likes on 200 Posts
Default

Iím simply waiting for the 8th generation Corvette to eventually arrive at my dealership...
It seems to be that car that we saw in Times Square ,a couple of weeks ago.(There was a red 8 on the car to signify itís the 8th generation )

I donít think itís more complicated then that.
pietro c7 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM
  #4  
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member
 
dmaxx3500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,980
Received 516 Likes on 394 Posts
Default

how do you guys know ,we haven't seen the FE c8 already,,just in c7 bodys?
dmaxx3500 is online now  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:26 PM
  #5  
pietro c7
CF Senior Member
 
pietro c7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 1,122
Likes: 0
Received 332 Likes on 200 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 View Post
how do you guys know ,we haven't seen the FE c8 already,,just in c7 bodys?
Because of what we saw in New York ....The red 8 on the car ,confirmed thatís what the next Corvette is...for now.
pietro c7 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:30 PM
  #6  
skank
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Carmel CA
Posts: 2,457
Received 705 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pietro c7 View Post
Because of what we saw in New York ....The red 8 on the car ,confirmed thatís what the next Corvette is...for now.
Pietro c7,
read the nomenclature logic.
skank is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:35 PM
  #7  
JDSKY
CF Senior Member
 
JDSKY's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Western WI
Posts: 587
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

FE? There is no FE therefore the logic is flawed.
JDSKY is online now  
The following 4 users liked this post by JDSKY:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-27-2019), Roscoe Primrose (04-24-2019), VETTE-NV (04-23-2019), Zaro Tundov (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:46 PM
  #8  
skank
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Carmel CA
Posts: 2,457
Received 705 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDSKY View Post
FE? There is no FE therefore the logic is flawed.
You don't know that and Mary Barra or GM hasn't indicated such. She only indicated that the C7 generation was going to end in July. That does not preclude GM from having a C8 FE ready to go after the reveal of the C8 ME in a determined time frame. Remember, the C8 term means it is only a time based generational change. Read the above #1 post.
skank is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:47 PM
  #9  
pietro c7
CF Senior Member
 
pietro c7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 1,122
Likes: 0
Received 332 Likes on 200 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skank View Post
Pietro c7,
read the nomenclature logic.
I did ,itís very well written and thought out skank,
nice job.

Everything still seems to be pointing to GM funneling all the future buyers to one mid engine model for now...
Its probably a good decision,many are expecting tremendous demand...including myself.
pietro c7 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:51 PM
  #10  
ToddC7
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2019
Posts: 41
Received 55 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skank View Post
You don't know that and Mary Barra or GM hasn't indicated such. She only indicated that the C7 generation was going to end in July. That does not preclude GM from having a C8 FE ready to go after the reveal of the C8 ME in a determined time frame. Remember, the C8 term means it is only a time based generational change. Read the above #1 post.
Do you really think GM has the cash to do both a new ME C8 and also a new FE C8? And make money on it?

I did hear rumors long ago that Corvette was going to be a 'brand', but it just doesn't seem to be that there would be enough buyers.

Could be wrong, but I highly doubt that GM is going to make Corvette a brand, and I very much doubt they'd do two different cars.
ToddC7 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:52 PM
  #11  
mschuyler
CF Senior Member
 
mschuyler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Bainbridge Island WA
Posts: 3,817
Received 2,442 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skank View Post
Read the above #1 post.
I did. It has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with opinion, again. We really needed yet another thread on this.
mschuyler is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by mschuyler:
ElisTwoCents (04-26-2019), ErrrrCar205 (04-24-2019), F4Gary (04-24-2019), WKM (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:58 PM
  #12  
ShagVette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: South East
Posts: 2,599
Received 274 Likes on 151 Posts
Default

Thoughts are, not C8 corvette zora analysis - speculation, until a later date.
ShagVette is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:05 PM
  #13  
ByByBMW
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ByByBMW's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 5,223
Received 180 Likes on 106 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17

Default

What I read in post #1 was, to me, 99% opinion.
ByByBMW is offline  
The following 6 users liked this post by ByByBMW:
ElisTwoCents (04-26-2019), gthal (04-23-2019), Laguna Fred (04-26-2019), p3pilot (04-23-2019), Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-27-2019), WKM (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:13 PM
  #14  
skank
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Carmel CA
Posts: 2,457
Received 705 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

I was going to wait until after the Bash this weekend and I thought "What the Hell" I might as well hang this out their. Mary Barra only indicated that the C7 generation was going to end in July. That does not preclude GM from having a C8 FE ready to go after the reveal of the C8 ME in a determined time frame. Remember, the C8 term means it is only a time based generational change. The C8 is not a model.
skank is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:19 PM
  #15  
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 40,236
Received 1,421 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ByByBMW View Post
What I read in post #1 was, to me, 99% opinion.
As are the posts that claim as fact that the C8 is ONLY a mid engine car, etc.

GM has been using staged introductions for quite a while now.

Remember the C5.....

1997--------coupe introduced
1998--------convertible added.
1999---------Billy Bob coupe added
2001--------Z06 added

How about the C6

2005------coupe and convertible introduced
2006 -----Z06 added
2009------ZR1 added
2010------GS added
2013------427 convertible added.

C7--------same as C5 and C6

C8-------different variations added each year or two during it's generational cycle. A FE could be one of those variations, to expand the circle of perspective buyers. Every one of the C5, C6 and C7's additions were to expand the circle of perspective buyers, and to hell with economies of scale. If economies of scale was so damn important, GM would lump every variation of the Corvette into one model, one trim, one color, etc and ONLY offer that one single car. But-------- to expand their circle of perspective buyers, they offer many variations and price them accordingly.

At this point, everything we know(or think we know) about the C8 is 99% opinion.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-23-2019 at 06:25 PM.
JoesC5 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
skank (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:20 PM
  #16  
skank
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Carmel CA
Posts: 2,457
Received 705 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ToddC7 View Post
Do you really think GM has the cash to do both a new ME C8 and also a new FE C8? And make money on it?

I did hear rumors long ago that Corvette was going to be a 'brand', but it just doesn't seem to be that there would be enough buyers.

Could be wrong, but I highly doubt that GM is going to make Corvette a brand, and I very much doubt they'd do two different cars.
The new plant has over 2,000,000 more sq ft than the old plant for a total of approximately 3,132,000 sq ft. The capital expenditure of that expansion has been indicated as close to a billion dollars. So yes, I do think they have the cash to do 2 or 3 models. They didn't triple the size of the plant to build just one model.

Last edited by skank; 04-23-2019 at 06:30 PM.
skank is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:23 PM
  #17  
Sub Driver
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Posts: 841
Received 517 Likes on 273 Posts
Default

You lost me at para 2.a. You say, "the Corvette nomenclature (science of naming) will be a big determining indicator of whether they build both C8 FE and ME" however, in 1.a you have already made the assumption a C8 FE WILL be built. Which one is it? Your logic isn't very logical.
Sub Driver is offline  
The following 5 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
ByByBMW (04-23-2019), Foosh (04-23-2019), gthal (04-23-2019), JDSKY (04-23-2019), Laguna Fred (04-26-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:35 PM
  #18  
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 40,236
Received 1,421 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skank View Post
The new plant has over 2,000,000 more sq ft than the old plant for a total of approximately 3,132,000 sq ft. The capital expenditure of that expansion has been indicated as close to a billion dollars. So yes, I do think they have the cash to do 2 or 3 models. They didn't triple the size of the plant to build just one model.
Also, when they installed the new paint system in the new building addition, they freed up space in the old building that housed the old paint system, Same with the Performance Build Center. I wonder what they are going to do with that space in the old building, now that it's empty. Maybe build something other than a mid engine Corvette?
JoesC5 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:39 PM
  #19  
jefnvk
CF Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: AA/Metro Detroit
Posts: 974
Received 406 Likes on 248 Posts
Default

Thoughts? I'm impressed you listened to me pointing out there was only a single 28000 sq ft chamber under the paint shop, and cut your building size appropriately
jefnvk is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:39 PM
  #20  
arthursc2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Posts: 404
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Whole lot of speculation and feigned intelligence from a guy who can't spell Z06 properly
arthursc2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 Corvette Zora analysis


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: