Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get ready-I'm about to drop some SCIENCE on y'all...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Launch control modulates the throttle (engine), not the clutch engagement (transmission). There is launch control in both manual and automatic transmission equipped cars.

You would think yet the manual cars with launch control are often times not even as quick as a well experienced driver...

dct or pdk of the naturally aspirated 991.1 s pdk was traditionally .6 ths quicker in zero to 60 mph and the quarter mile time than the manual version.

to ignore the pdk acceleration times compared to the much slower manual transmission version in the OP data collection would be a statistical error.

if you prefer to ignore then so be it.

performance really does transcend zero to 60 mph performance ....with the invention of launch control dct systems....which game the test and what that test traditionally represented...

manual transmission launch control systems are rarely as effective as the dct units.

Like I said if my suggestion throws off the OP assumption.....then dont sweat it and enjoy.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Launch control modulates the throttle (engine), not the clutch engagement (transmission).
On a DCT, it can/does.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:24 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

An engine’s tq / hp curve has a tremendous influence on ability to launch affecting 0-Xx times and often underestimated or overlooked. High torque at low RPM (ZR1 and ZO6) although fun to drive presents a challenge to launch without wheel spin. Other cars with less power but a “more” linear torque curve combined with gearing matched to engine torque often punch above their weight. Obviously many data points factor into rate of acceleration.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,126 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Trig... Trig it out professor woot!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

This is a silly post... there are so many variables. If you take the same power/wt car with the same tires and one has 50/50 weight distribution and one has 35/65 the one with 35/65 will have more usable traction and more stability under hard braking with the trade-off being less high speed stability in turns. The other benefit to ME is it frees up the chassis for electric front drive which can really put the power down.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Adrenaline Junky (05-15-2019), C3DeedlyDee (05-15-2019), Glenn Quagmire (05-15-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

OK, I'll bite (not sure why), but the OP wen through an effort, so lets discuss.

I don't think anyone (At least those with 1/4 of a brain) really thinks engine placement is the driver of 0-60 times. Of course power and weight play a huge role, no one needs a graph for that.

Besides handling, an equivalent mid engine vehicle will be able to put the power down more effectively. This only applies/matters when the power is not being put down efficiently to begin with. You will see virtually no differences in 0-60 (which as noted probably isn't the best measure) on a 250 HP car with with good tires -- it will have no problem putting the power down. However, a super-high horsepower front engine, RWD car has trouble putting power down, so you need to move the engine and/or add more drive wheels. The Corvette team has done amazing work with the front engine/RWD platform, but it is maxed out. Engine location is not the driver of 0-60 times. Engine location optimization is needed to have the fastest 0-60 times. (Plus handling and the more important parts).

Here's the top 20 production cars (from 0-60 times website). You'll notice for the real cars, there is only a single Front-Engined Real-Wheel Drive Car. That is Demon, which if you recall comes with a single seat, drag radials, trans brake, line lock, and a suspension adjusted to transfer weight front to back. You can go in a straight line with it, or cruise Main street with it. You don't want to turn too fast (or at all). Every other car either is either a specialty go-kart, or mid engine, except the GTR which is AWD. So, despite the OP's graph (which I admire), it is obvious that the fastest 0-60 cars aren't using front engine/rwd. There is a reason for that.

Last edited by z28lt1; 05-14-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:42 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Look up specs across a wide range of production cars with a compare feature (link has 2019 ZR1 as example)

Pandora's box..open at your own risk

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/c...e_7-speed.html
Old 05-14-2019, 01:29 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Personally, I like 0-100-0.
Personally, I like 1/4 mile followed by a 180º turn and then race back to the starting line.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM
C6ness
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 78 Posts

Like has been said, these days 0-60 is pretty much a worthless metric to measure performance. .5 second or less is really insignificant.Way too many variables like tires, launch control software, road surface traction , driver skill etc. It's really only a bragging right gleamed from car rags. I think a better stat is 0-100 or even 0-120 or 1/4 mile speed to compare acceleration. Roll on comparisons as well but you don't see much of that except in you tube videos.

Last edited by C6ness; 05-14-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
a good benchmark of raw performance was the 0-150-0

the reason they did 0-100 is early rides wouldn't bump 150

look up some of the cobra and zr-1 LPE times and it's pretty interesting stuff!!!
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Personally, I like 1/4 mile followed by a 180º turn and then race back to the starting line.
My thought on the 0-100-0 measure is the 100 number isn't so high as to make it an automatic trip to the pokey...
Old 05-14-2019, 02:43 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

damn,i thought this was about ''Kelly lebrock'' [the old version,from weird science]
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
On a DCT, it can/does.
I didn't know that. Does it delay clutch engagement or slips the clutch at start? First gear is probably good for 60mph, so there is no shift involved. I always thought launch control simply modulates engine power, so tires won't spin endlessly.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
Sarcasm doesn't come through on the forum unless you put a couple of smileys on it.

ALL of the threads here in the C8 forum speculating about the potential power and performance of the C8 compared to the C7 claims that. There are even a few that thinks that sub 3.5 second is to be expected of the base C8.

Based on the trend line on the graph, IF the C8 remain the same weight as the C7, it's going to have to make 550+ hp to drop below 3.5 seconds. Or weight about 3,100 lbs.
Now try that acceleration when coming around an apex at 60 mph with the steering turned to either the left or right and rolling onto the throttle so the throttle will be wide open by the time the front wheels are pointing down the next straight at the corner track out point. If the car pivots onto the correct line faster the driver can roll the throttle down faster and be wide open sooner. As everybody knows in a drag race the winner is the one who leaves the starting line first. It takes tons of HP to make up for a fraction of a second difference in leaving the starting line and it takes even more HP when that time difference includes having a higher speed leaving the line.

For instance if you and a competitor in an equally powerful car leave T1 at Watkins Glen with your speed being 1 mph higher (1 mph equates to about 1.5 ft per second) than your competitor with both of you holding your throttles wide open all the way to the braking point for the bus stop (which takes about 20 seconds) you will have gained 30 ft on your competitor. Keep that 1 mph advantage at each turn exit through 17 turns per lap and lap after lap and in a few laps your competitor is no longer visible in the rear view mirror. That is how much a small speed differential coming off a corner means when it comes to demolishing your competition, ME cars pivot quicker and let the driver put the power down sooner thus providing the edge.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Adrenaline Junky (05-15-2019), drewz06 (05-14-2019), jcsperson (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:32 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Bill nails it.

There is so much variation in a 0-60 run, it’s basically unrepeatable. Look at the first episode of Grand Tour. All cars were DCT, all similar power, all had launch control, they had a different result every run.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Without reading through the entire thread, and someone may have mentioned it already, but once you approach horse powers over 500 in a 31-3500 lb vehicle. Traction Control management is going to be the primary factor in your 0 to 60, and above times, to a point.

We all know, if you’re spinning you’re not winning.

Some FEs have a better tuned TC system then the C7. Or at least it’s tune differently to allow better 0 to 60 times for their weight to HP.

The C7 allows a lot of wheel spin compared to some of the higher end MEs, and FEs out there.

When the TC is fully disengaged.
All of these cars can and will smoke the tires not only out of the whole, but will also break dangerously loose through 60, 70 mph, some on up to 100 mph, and higher.

The trick is keeping it right at the edge of slipping, and applying all of the power to forward acceleration.

So yes it is possible for the new C8 not to do very well with it’s drag times compared to some other vehicles if the traction control management system is not up to par with its competitors.

jmo
Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Stoplight
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
Sarcasm doesn't come through on the forum unless you put a couple of smileys on it.

ALL of the threads here in the C8 forum speculating about the potential power and performance of the C8 compared to the C7 claims that. There are even a few that thinks that sub 3.5 second is to be expected of the base C8.

Based on the trend line on the graph, IF the C8 remain the same weight as the C7, it's going to have to make 550+ hp to drop below 3.5 seconds. Or weight about 3,100 lbs.
The C8 supposedly will have a DCT, which may cut down the 0-60 (if you care about that stat) dramatically. It’s one of the reasons why the porky AWD GT-R has low 0-60 numbers, and why the Porsche Turbo and Bugattis as well have low 0-60s, despite the Veyron weighing as much as a small dinosaur (aside from AWD of course)
Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Default OP is ignorant

It's about traction. The only science is in the title to your thread. I cannot believe someone would spend as much time explaining something that is complete crap as what you have done.

Last edited by ChucksZ06; 05-14-2019 at 09:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Glenn Quagmire (05-15-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Get ready-I'm about to drop some SCIENCE on y'all...

Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoplight
The C8 supposedly will have a DCT, which may cut down the 0-60 (if you care about that stat) dramatically. It’s one of the reasons why the porky AWD GT-R has low 0-60 numbers, and why the Porsche Turbo and Bugattis as well have low 0-60s, despite the Veyron weighing as much as a small dinosaur (aside from AWD of course)
So the only reason the GTR, Porsche Turbo, and Bugatti have amazing 0-60 times is DCT?

AWD is just a “nice to have” for them in this stat?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
Without reading through the entire thread, and someone may have mentioned it already, but once you approach horse powers over 500 in a 31-3500 lb vehicle. Traction Control management is going to be the primary factor in your 0 to 60, and above times, to a point.

We all know, if you’re spinning you’re not winning.

Some FEs have a better tuned TC system then the C7. Or at least it’s tune differently to allow better 0 to 60 times for their weight to HP.

The C7 allows a lot of wheel spin compared to some of the higher end MEs, and FEs out there.

When the TC is fully disengaged.
All of these cars can and will smoke the tires not only out of the whole, but will also break dangerously loose through 60, 70 mph, some on up to 100 mph, and higher.

The trick is keeping it right at the edge of slipping, and applying all of the power to forward acceleration.

So yes it is possible for the new C8 not to do very well with it’s drag times compared to some other vehicles if the traction control management system is not up to par with its competitors.

jmo
I don't know how much if any you've raced your C7, or, if you even have one? Let me clue you in on something. The TC is not nearly as effective as you seem to think it is. It doesn't take "500hp" to negate the C7 TC. 455 HP does it. Every day.....
Old 05-14-2019, 10:49 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate they time you took to put that together. I would only argue if you took the same motor and build one front engine car and another mid engine car. You can reduce the weight of the mid engine car for example no five feet of torque tube, cut 5 feet of dual exhaust, hangars, bolts heat shielding, but most importantly you can build the strength of the frame into one box surrounding the mid engine and trans. So ultimately the mid engine car weighs less and 0-60 times improves. The time improves due to weight reduction; you get the weight reductions from engine locations...... so what I am trying to say is egg or chicken yummm I like them both.

Last edited by CitationZ06@yahoo; 05-14-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Get ready-I'm about to drop some SCIENCE on y'all...