Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the new mid engine C8 Corvette a supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:28 PM
JasonB
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think a lot of people can't separate a so called "supercar" from an "exotic" car. Is a C6 Z06 or C7 Z06 an exotic car? Nope. Do they both offer competitive performance with their respective generation Ferrari's? Yup. They sure do with considerably more reliability to boot. Someone going to the track once or twice and not being able to match the magazine numbers is a reflection on the driver not the car. Good drivers with lot's of seat time beat the magazine numbers regularly. The new C8 should be much easier for the average driver to launch than the front engine cars but that won't make it an exotic car.

Not sure how interior quality defines anything to be or not to be a super car either. If that was the case a Mercedes S560 or Audi S8 would be a Super Super car as the interior quality on those is superior to any Ferrari. Heck the mid 2000's Ferrari's reeked more than a little bit of kit car in some areas.

If the new C8 base car comes out and it walks all over a 488 and has just as nice an interior (unlikely) it still won't be an exotic car. Super car? We won't know until we see the numbers.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:05 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,198 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonB
I think a lot of people can't separate a so called "supercar" from an "exotic" car. Is a C6 Z06 or C7 Z06 an exotic car? Nope. Do they both offer competitive performance with their respective generation Ferrari's? Yup. They sure do with considerably more reliability to boot. .
I agree, no car with a Chevy tag on it will ever be considered an Exotic. None of the big three domestic brands will ever live in this space.

On the flip side Supercar status has zero to do with reliability. Unfortunately the Z06 falls short on the scales of price and availability. Go to any of the forum dealers and click on the "Buy It Now" button for any of dozen's of available brand new Z06's in stock and ready for immediate delivery. Prices as low as $74K to start. Anyone with Chevy Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado credit worthiness or cash in the bank can scoop one up today. Sorry Z06, no supercar status for you no matter what the marketing coming out of GM says, and yes it does not matter what the title on your GM business card has on it that does not change the basic key core tenants of the car.

The C8 is going to fall into the same category no matter what HP and track numbers it delivers. Will it compete with Supercars? Absolutely. It's just not going to ever be given that label - outside of GM marketing and Corvette fan circles anyway.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
I agree, no car with a Chevy tag on it will ever be considered an Exotic. None of the big three domestic brands will ever live in this space.

On the flip side Supercar status has zero to do with reliability. Unfortunately the Z06 falls short on the scales of price and availability. Go to any of the forum dealers and click on the "Buy It Now" button for any of dozen's of available brand new Z06's in stock and ready for immediate delivery. Prices as low as $74K to start. Anyone with Chevy Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado credit worthiness or cash in the bank can scoop one up today. Sorry Z06, no supercar status for you no matter what the marketing coming out of GM says, and yes it does not matter what the title on your GM business card has on it that does not change the basic key core tenants of the car.

The C8 is going to fall into the same category no matter what HP and track numbers it delivers. Will it compete with Supercars? Absolutely. It's just not going to ever be given that label - outside of GM marketing and Corvette fan circles anyway.
The Ford Gt I believe is from the big three
Old 05-18-2019, 04:41 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,198 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingcan
The Ford Gt I believe is from the big three
Yes it is and perhaps the Corvette will find its way onto both the Exotic and Supercar list when GM decides to have them hand built and in the same volume as the Ford GT.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

I've always found this distinction stupid, because everyone has their own opinions. My opinion is pretty simple, the Corvette is and has always been a "supercar". It has always found itself at or near the top of the performance car heap and is therefore a supercar due to its comparable performance to cars that are also deemed supercars.

An easier way to look at it is as a hierarchy.

Merriam-Webster defines the term sports car as: "a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving"

That includes everything from a Miata to a Koenigsegg Jesko.

So to differentiate performance you add in supercars. A Ferrari 488 and a C7 Corvette Grand Sport would fall into this category. Everyone wants to differentiate a supercar by its price or quality of materials, but I believe that the term "exotic" is what describes expensive supercars.

The term hypercar is solely the realm of automobiles that cost $1,000,000+ and are extremely limited production.

Of course this is just how I have always thought of the supercar term, and its my opinion, but I stick by my estimation that a Corvette is a supercar.
The following users liked this post:
lund pro v (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

A supercar is not something that is bought by middle class people. They have performance, exclusivity, and exotic qualities. Base corvettes are not anywhere close to supercar status. They are great performing sports cars.
Dr. ice (05-19-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 PM
FinsterforstFan
Racer

Received 441 Likes on 201 Posts

I couldn’t care less what the label is. At the end of the day, I’ll evaluate what it actually is, physically, and determine if it’s a car I want.
The following 2 users liked this post by FinsterforstFan:
fpfaeth (05-18-2019), jefnvk (05-20-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
A supercar is not something that is bought by middle class people. They have performance, exclusivity, and exotic qualities. Base corvettes are not anywhere close to supercar status. They are great performing sports cars.
Oh my! Were your silk underpants starched and ironed just right this morning? Do you think hardly anyone else gives a rip about shallow stuff like that? God forbid that you should be seen driving through a Burger King. Better wear a disguise.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:50 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Maybe a super performing car, but I’ll stop there.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
The term hypercar is solely the realm of automobiles that cost $1,000,000+ and are extremely limited production.

It's curious that you define a hypercar by price and rarity, but exclude these criteria from your definition of a supercar -- and define the latter pretty broadly to include the C7 GS. Do the top trims of Mustang and Camaro also qualify?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:13 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Oh my! Were your silk underpants starched and ironed just right this morning? Do you think hardly anyone else gives a rip about shallow stuff like that? God forbid that you should be seen driving through a Burger King. Better wear a disguise.
I'm not sure what your rant about Burger King has to do with supercars but exclusivity is definitely a characteristic of a super car. They are called super for a reason. Everything is at another level, even price. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings but a common Chevy Corvette will never rise to that status.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
ChumpVette (05-21-2019), vetteman41960 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Super Car = high performance
Exotic Car = super high unattainable price
Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
I'm not sure what your rant about Burger King has to do with supercars but exclusivity is definitely a characteristic of a super car. They are called super for a reason. Everything is at another level, even price.
Ebola and Polio are also rare, high-priced, and "at another level". Better run out and get you some.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

The Corvette will never be an exotic as long as GM keeps the car priced low as it has currently existed. Funny how individuals want to believe it’s a super car but they want to keep it high volume and priced for the masses. Super car and cheap are NEVER in the same sentence. Nice thought though!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 05-19-2019 at 10:05 PM.
vndkshn (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 AM
RedMercy
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
The Corvette will never be an exotic as long as GM keeps the car priced low as it has currently existed. Funny how individuals want to believe it’s a super car but they want to keep it high volume and priced for the masses. Super car and cheap are NEVER in the same sentence. Nice thought though!
In the usa* which isn’t true for the rest of the world.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:46 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Super car and cheap are NEVER in the same sentence.
I don't suppose you noticed that you just invalidated your own claim, by using both in the same sentence?
RedMercy (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

If GM could get its base customer to buy a 90k base model I sure GM could produce a product with quality materials and better fit and finish.

You think better fit and finish/materials would need to increase the base price by 75%?

Get notified of new replies

To Is the new mid engine C8 Corvette a supercar?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY

The entire idea of debating the made-up term "supercar" is ridiculous on its face. Why even play that game? These are all sports cars (an actual designation of car type). All this additional subcategory stuff is just posturing douchebaggery.
Warp Factor (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:46 AM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Super Car = high performance
Exotic Car = super high unattainable price

I typically see it / say it this way:

“Supercar” describes some objective measure of performance or a given period (of course the level to attain such status changes over time as the average performance of all cars changes)
”Exotic” describes a subjective measure of exclusivity (this could be due to price, production numbers, owner qualification, or some combination of a few)

Many folks mistakenly conflate these two terms, because they often both apply when using either term, but not always.

Last edited by kozmic; 05-20-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:57 AM
prince8619
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmic

I typically see it / say it this way:

“Supercar” describes some objective measure of performance or a given period (of course the level to attain such status changes over time as the average performance of all cars changes)
”Exotic” describes a subjective measure of exclusivity (this could be due to price, production numbers, owner qualification, or some combination of a few)

Many folks mistakenly conflate these two terms, because they often both apply, but not always.
Exactly my point! Thats what I kept repeating over and over in the video.
People mix and confuse supercar with exotic.

-Supercars = very high performance Ex: (Corvette, Viper, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 Turbo S)

-Exotic supercar = very high performance, rare, limited production, expensive, hand build Ex: (Ferrari 458, Lamborghini Gallardo, Austin Martin, Mclaren 570s)

-Hyper cars = Elite, ultra rare, highest perfomance, super expensive, hand build Ex: (Bugatti, Porsche 918, Agera)

Last edited by prince8619; 05-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.
bgspot (05-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Is the new mid engine C8 Corvette a supercar?