Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front engine future

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Stoplight
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
So what? GM said "last C7," not "last FE," end of story.

The FE is "dead and gone" for now. 6,8,10 years from now, who knows? GM doesn't know either.

Future decisions will be dependent upon how well the ME sells and performs. It would be absolutely stupid for GM to limit their options to reverse course or change directions in the future. That's what smart companies do, they go back to the drawing board if something doesn't work out.
Common sense would dictate that at least 10 yrs from now, the Corvette would be either be an EV or hybrid. And why have a front engined hybrid sports car, when a mid engined car gives better handling characteristics?
Also, the Baby Boomer generation is either getting too old to really cater to them or they are dying out. Add another 10 yrs, and few of them will be driving, unlike Gen x, Gen Y, and Gen Z.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:45 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
A) It wouldn't really surprise me if a manual C8 showed up. I still think it won't, but it is hardly out of the realm of probability.
B) There is a big difference between having no current future plans to make a FE Corvette, and coming out and forcefully stating there will never be another.
C) The auction will bring big money regardless. People aren't bidding on this to own the last (well, OK, they are), they are bidding on it as a charitable tax write off.

Also, it is getting built to the winner's specs, so it may not even be a manual

I agree with all of this, but again, if they had no future plans to make a FE car or MT, then they would be able to advertise, in good faith, as porsche did, that this is the last opportunity to own either of these 66 year traditions.

Its a big deal.

The fact that GM has not said this yet...

either means they are horrible at advertising and gaining the spotlight on this car...

or it means they can't say it because they know one or both are lies.

Its very simple folks
Old 06-12-2019, 04:50 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by bbbvettes.com

either means they are horrible at advertising and gaining the spotlight on this car...

Its very simple folks
Or it means they're waiting to the reveal to say it?
Old 06-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Stoplight
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I mean, GM hasn't come out and said that the current C7 platform is going to be repurposed into a Miata/BRZ killer with a 300+hp turbo-4 priced around $30k to entice the younger generation to the brand, but I feel fairly confident they aren't doing it.
If GM wanted to go that route, then they would have taken the Kappa platform that the Solstice sat on, turned the Corvette into a brand like Porsche, used that platform as an entry level car, called it the Stingray. Have it compete against the Boxster/Cayman. Have different engine options up to a TTV6. Then use the V8 Corvette as a up market 911 Competitor. And then, this would be the year to introduce a third car, the Mid engine one. But, this idea takes, time, money, planning, etc.

Last edited by Stoplight; 06-12-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

GM cannot be held responsible for what outside orgs like Car & Driver and Barrett-Jackson say.

Many of us are old enough to remember the "last convertible forever" in 1976. It was for a long period of time, and a GM spokesperson clearly implied gone forever. Things change. Interesting read below. As the article says, "as soon as they were gone, people started craving them again."

The Last Convertible
Being born in '81 this is news to me... were there no Corvette convertibles in the later part of the C3 generation?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:02 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

GM press release with CEO quote

“GM, GMC and Chevrolet support the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation and its commitment to injured and fallen military members, first responders and their families,” said Barra. “The sale of this iconic Corvette will help the foundation continue its good work, and pave the way for the Next Generation Corvette that we will introduce on July 18.”

Seems that the goal posts keep moving. Few weeks back C7 was going to continue along side the C8, now we know different. Now the last hanging chad is on how the charity auction is described. Seems like grasping for straws...is it possible a future gen is FE, sure why not.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM
stief
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Being born in '81 this is news to me... were there no Corvette convertibles in the later part of the C3 generation?
Caddy
Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 PM
AEmedic
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 131 Posts

You guys should really stop feeding the trolls!
The following users liked this post:
WKM (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:12 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

1975 last convertible for 11 years.
RapidC84B (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Oops, beat me to it. Correct, there were no Corvette convertibles between 1975 and 1986.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-12-2019 at 05:14 PM.
RapidC84B (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Oops, beat me to it. Correct, there were no Corvette convertibles between 1975 and 1986.
Learned something new today
Old 06-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

I agree with all of this, but again, if they had no future plans to make a FE car or MT, then they would be able to advertise, in good faith, as porsche did, that this is the last opportunity to own either of these 66 year traditions.

Its a big deal.

Its very simple folks
It would be partial suicide to announce to your marketing base that which you are NOT going to do/offer.

Be it; FE/MT/ or even "proper convertible" C7s.

If and when it's deemed worth it, GM/Corvette will announce/market what they ARE going to
have/offer.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
A "proper convertible."

Now, go look-up on Hagerty's whether the convertible 1976 Cadillac is valued greater than the hardtop, or NOT. #LOL

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 06-12-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

The last front engine c7, is a given, because c7's were only front engines.

But, If they wanted the auction to bring big money, they WOULD BE saying LAST FRONT ENGINE VETTE EVER.

and LAST MANUAL TRANSMISSION VETTE EVER.

But they are not. And you guys think it means nothing.

When reality is, it would mean GM is horrible at advertizing, and horrible at generating money for charity, and horrible at making headlines and horrible at making history...

or it means its not the last front engine, and it's not the last manual... and that's why they are NOT making those claims.

This is not brain surgery guys.

So pick your choice above and below...

is GM not smart enough to make those 2 claims after 66 years for a grand finale FE/Manual transmission Corvette auction which would fetch a million+ dollars?...

or is GM smart enough to not make those claims, because they don't want to tick off their top bidder (Hendrick) when it becomes known that neither one of those 2 claims are in fact true? (I wouldn't want to **** him off, nor the person who has the money to outbid him)

Pick 1

There's only 2 choices here

I'm amazed so many intelligent people don't realize it all boils down to one of these 2 options.
How could GM **** off anyone bidding on the last C7 for charity?

Rick Hendrick is smart enough to know the gravitas that being announced as the Top Bidder is. It's marketing of the Hendrick brand.

It would be humorous if an unknown no name were to outbid Hendrick. Or, even funnier if Hendrick had to outbid the no name bidder into 8 figures ($10Mil+)..... That, would be funny.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoplight
If GM wanted to go that route, then they would have taken the Kappa platform that the Solstice sat on, turned the Corvette into a brand like Porsche, used that platform as an entry level car, called it the Stingray. Have it compete against the Boxster/Cayman. Have different engine options up to a TTV6. Then use the V8 Corvette as a up market 911 Competitor. And then, this would be the year to introduce a third car, the Mid engine one. But, this idea takes, time, money, planning, etc.
The C7 Stingray and GS ARE the Boxster/Cayman competitors, at least based on price.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:21 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by born2beS12
Name a model of car that has ever been made in 2 completely different configurations at the same time with the same nameplate-not to include the mustang fastback/hatchback and coupe or corvette coupe and FRC as those were simply the difference in roof/quarter panels and trim similar to the convertible option. And the only time I have ever seen two different generations of the same vehicle produced simultaneously was the 2004 F150 and 2004 F150 heritage, which was the previous gen f150 with a special badge,

From 1978 - 1995 Porsche offered a 928 FE V8 and a RE 911 6 cyl.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by born2beS12
Name a model of car that has ever been made in 2 completely different configurations at the same time with the same nameplate-not to include the mustang fastback/hatchback and coupe
vw tiguan did it in 2018 i believe was the year... kept their old model, and also sold the new model. The old model was called the "classic" or "limited" if I remember correctly.

GM has also done it with the Acadia in the past few years.. and GM owns corvette huh?

There are plenty of others, but that's enough mental energy on my end to answer that question in 20 seconds of reading it.

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
How could GM **** off anyone bidding on the last C7 for charity?

Rick Hendrick is smart enough to know the gravitas that being announced as the Top Bidder is. It's marketing of the Hendrick brand.

It would be humorous if an unknown no name were to outbid Hendrick. Or, even funnier if Hendrick had to outbid the no name bidder into 8 figures ($10Mil+)..... That, would be funny.

Regardless whether the item's auction is for charity or not, it still has a market value.

If i say here is a glass mug for charity, or here is the first mclaren f1 ever built for charity, each are going to have different auction bid values.

The seller still needs to describe the item up for auction, and do so accurately. GM would be foolish not to make a very big deal that this is the last true/exclusive FE corvette ever to be sold (there may be combination platforms in the future that have engines up front and the rear, but never again a solo front engine configuration)

That is a HUGE value gain for the car being auctioned IF it is indeed true. GM should be shouting it from the rooftops... but so far, they have not said this.

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-12-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front engine future

Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 PM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

vw tiguan did it in 2018 i believe was the year... kept their old model, and also sold the new model. The old model was called the "classic" or "limited" if I remember correctly.

GM has also done it with the Acadia in the past few years.. and GM owns corvette huh?

There are plenty of others, but that's enough mental energy on my end to answer that question in 20 seconds of reading it.
...and none of that matters. GM says "The LAST" C7...that doesn't mean they may do something else cause...fill in the illogical reason here. I simply don't understand how comprehending what LAST means is so difficult. Let it go man.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:06 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CSevenGS
...and none of that matters. GM says "The LAST" C7...that doesn't mean they may do something else cause...fill in the illogical reason here. I simply don't understand how comprehending what LAST means is so difficult. Let it go man.
im willing to let the c7 go, if they kill it they kill it, but I'm saying they should be advertising the last front engine vette EVER, its a big deal. Not everyone on planet earth is corvette savvy like we all are, there could be a billionaire in France that hears "last c7... who cares, I hate that car"

Or instead, he hears "last FE vette ever, a 66 year tradition" and he says, "oh wow, i should try to add that to my collection, that's a rare car.."

Last c7 means nothing. Last front engine vette ever, means everything.

You say it does not matter, I highly disagree with you. The price tag the car sells for will be drastically different if GM refuses to solidly confirm, well in advance, that it is the LAST FE EVER vs if they make a huge deal out of it in the media and put together a little short documentary film about the front engine vettes and their legacy to the automotive world.

once again, the difference between GM and Porsche if GM fails to make a huge deal out of this.

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-12-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 PM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

im willing to let the c7 go, if they kill it they kill it, but I'm saying they should be advertising the last front engine vette EVER, its a big deal. Not everyone on planet earth is corvette savvy like we all are, there could be a billionaire in France that hears "last c7... who cares, I hate that car"

Or instead, he hears "last FE vette ever, a 66 year tradition" and he says, "oh wow, i should try to add that to my collection, that's a rare car.."

Last c7 means nothing. Last front engine vette ever, means everything.

You say it does not matter, I highly disagree with you. The price tag the car sells for will be drastically different if GM refuses to solidly confirm, well in advance, that it is the LAST FE EVER vs if they make a huge deal out of it in the media and put together a little short documentary film about the front engine vettes and their legacy to the automotive world.

once again, the difference between GM and Porsche if GM fails to make a huge deal out of this.
I think there's something like 2 people on Earth that think them not directly saying it's the last FE (even though in every sense of the word, haven't they) Corvette is an issue. The other 7B people have figured out the C8 is a ME and LAST means LAST...and that no one knows the distant future.

Last edited by CSevenGS; 06-12-2019 at 07:37 PM.
orclubduck (06-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Front engine future