Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Video?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 457 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by faninc
The tabs are ice breakers, aids AWD cars in winter conditions. LOL, I have no idea. Agree that this was staged, too close too reveal to be this sloppy with a camo car and no one or security around.
Exactly and in 360p for god sake....
The following users liked this post:
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:21 AM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Well, that one guy claims he knows the scoops are a lot smaller than led to appear of what we're seeing.

Perhaps the base model has almost none, and only the twin turbo V8 that Mark Reuss has confirmed gets the big scoops.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:30 AM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

I would broken the glass and pulled this covers off already
Old 06-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by CSEVEN
I would broken the glass and pulled this covers off already
I love it when car enthusiasts, and especially Corvette owners, are encouraging vandalism of someone else's car.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I love it when car enthusiasts, and especially Corvette owners, are encouraging vandalism of someone else's car.
Well... GM crushes the all... so not a huge loss
Zora_Vette (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:03 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by bbbvettes.com
I think they are air filters on each side... that is what that screen is, air filter material.

according to the CAD and engine leaks, the engine's intake is the rear box of the car. That rear box is fed its air by the side scoops' ducting.

And if that is indeed the case, I believe this is a missed opportunity to place a couple of heat exchangers.... there are plenty of other opportunities to create an air intake in other locations on the car, 2 huge scoops is not necessary to feed a NA motor air the intake air it needs.

The obvious perk is IF GM has the airbox sealed, then the NA cars would certainly have RAM air effects at higher speeds with these 2 huge scoops on each side creating positive pressure.

My prediction is that the airbox is not sealed, however, and instead, it also has heat exchanges attached to its rear side, and excess air brought in by the scoops also goes out through those HX out the rear of the car

By putting the air filters up at the scoops, it allows no restriction to the engine's intake when it wants to inhale, and all the air in the air box is guaranteed to be clean and cool. It also brings money into GM as those will have to be swapped out often.

2nd option is, they put the filters there for now on the mules, to keep people from looking up the duct, and in the production cars, the filters will be further downstream in the duct.
There's no way an OEM puts an air filter out in the open like that, I don't know what we're looking at but it's certainly not an engine air filter. You could never drive the car in the rain....

Last edited by jimmyb; 06-10-2019 at 01:05 PM.
keagan (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

How is this even still a discussion? It's a vertical heat exchanger. We don't know what it's for, but I can't see how people are still debating what it is.
RapidC84B (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:36 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

I hope its a HX. That was my first post. But I'm saying the other option is, they might have thrown air filters in that area on the mules to keep people from looking up the cars scoop.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Just a thought... this CAD we've all been referencing shows the driver side and that picture is passenger. Very possible the sides serve different functions. I'm betting passenger side is the HX for transaxle unit and the driver side is air intake for the engine. I bet that green duct is the air intake for the motor and the blue window in the green duct may be filter access? Would make sense to put the heavy stuff on the passenger side for best balance with one driver which is what they did with the C7 (dry sump and battery etc.).

EDIT - Looking closer there appears to be a symmetrical green duct on the passenger side too... with same "window" in it for something.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 06-10-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Latterlon (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

I would not put it past GM, that they did NOT put a HX in the scoop, and instead the air filter is where the cut out windows are... and those cut out windows are to clean leaves out from in front of the air filters.

The other side of the air filter is an air box... the engine inhales from this box, and the box also has exits that go through the HX at the back of the car.

All extra air that comes in the scoops, that the engine does not inhale, ends up going out the rear HX.

If this were the case, they just run an air filter on the mules at the scoops, to prevent spying.

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-10-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:23 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Just a thought... this CAD we've all been referencing shows the driver side and that picture is passenger. Very possible the sides serve different functions. I'm betting passenger side is the HX for transaxle unit and the driver side is air intake for the engine. I bet that green duct is the air intake for the motor and the blue window in the green duct may be filter access? Would make sense to put the heavy stuff on the passenger side for best balance with one driver which is what they did with the C7 (dry sump and battery etc.).

EDIT - Looking closer there appears to be a symmetrical green duct on the passenger side too... with same "window" in it for something.

The "window" in the green duct is where the fan goes. The mounting holes can be seen there too. It is almost identical to the C7 set up.

No indication from c8 camo cars or eyewitnesses of rear fender top NACCA style ducts... not sure why the CAD shows the green duct work.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
The "window" in the green duct is where the fan goes. The mounting holes can be seen there too. It is almost identical to the C7 set up.

No indication from c8 camo cars or eyewitnesses of rear fender top NACCA style ducts... not sure why the CAD shows the green duct work.

You don't need a draggy duct on top of the quarter when you have that giant side intake. Those green ducts go to the side intakes. The remaining question is where do the radiators go and what are they cooling. Is there any reason for the radiator to be up front in the scoop other than weight distribution in the car and not making to too tail-heavy by hanging them out back.

Not buying the window being for a fan... why would you want to pull air out of the duct? The C7 fans were on the back of the radiators.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 06-10-2019 at 02:28 PM.
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:29 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

If GM left the car so it would leak then I would argue that GM "wanted" us to see the car for publicity purposes and in doing so, IF someone was to remove the camo and take photos, it was indeed GM's orchestrated PR stunt and that GM was sanctioned my removing of the camo.. at least that is what I would tell the judge... ; )
vndkshn (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:36 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Youtube says "Caught a c8 lackin on Woodward" - assume that's Woodward Avenue Highway in Michigan?
Old 06-10-2019, 02:37 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
You don't need a draggy duct on top of the quarter when you have that giant side intake. Those green ducts go to the side intakes. The remaining question is where do the radiators go and what are they cooling. Is there any reason for the radiator to be up front in the scoop other than weight distribution in the car and not making to too tail-heavy by hanging them out back.

Not buying the window being for a fan... why would you want to pull air out of the duct? The C7 fans were on the back of the radiators.

I agree, but the green duct seems to point straight up to the top of the fender like the c7.

Here is the c7 diff fan in the same general location.

gotta keep the air moving when the car is not...IMO

what do you think?

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-10-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:42 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I think the green duct is going up over the wheel liner then back down to the side scoop. It only looks like it's going to the top due to the angle. The duct probably fills the entire space under the quarter panel and is concealed by the fender liner like the C7.
firstvettesoon (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Latterlon
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 153 Posts

Each side could have a different purpose, but it makes sense for air to enter the side scoops, pass through a heat exchanger, and exit through ductwork and out the two rear vent holes in the rear fascia. Similar to a Ford GT but not as exposed.

They could be rolling around in Stingray body cars testing the 4.2 or 5.5 DOHC TT V8's.

That leaked Engine Forecast document (which I didn't save!) showed the 6.2L V8 (LT2?) for the beginning, then a 4.2L DOHC TT V8 and a 5.5L DOHC TT V8 (this was targeted at 825hp(?)), which at the time I assumed was for Stingray, Z06 and ZR1 trims. It dawned on me that the Z06 could get the 5.5L, and the ZR1 would have the same basic engine with added electric motors and AWD. That leaves the 4.2L to replace the 6.2L pushrod engine after a few years in a refreshed base car. The C8.R will use a smaller (4.0L) displacement due to the rules. We know what the Cadillac Blackwing makes (550/627), so they could easily tune the 4.2L down or up for standard or Z06 duty.....because a 5.5L DOHC TT V8 will be a MONSTER. McLaren's 4.0L DOHC TT V8 makes 800hp with ease.

Does anyone have that leaked Engine Forecast document?

Last edited by Latterlon; 06-10-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Video?

Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I know 100% the TT cars are testing.... one wrecked at VIR and a buddy picked up a piece. Folks who were support services at the track were talking about the twin turbo vette that was there. It was right before a NASA weekend. Would make sense this might be one of those as I'd guess the NA cars are well past this stage of testing.
firstvettesoon (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Latterlon
Each side could have a different purpose, but it makes sense for air to enter the side scoops, pass through a heat exchanger, and exit through ductwork and out the two rear vent holes in the rear fascia. Similar to a Ford GT but not as exposed.

They could be rolling around in Stingray body cars testing the 4.2 or 5.5 DOHC TT V8's.

That leaked Engine Forecast document (which I didn't save!) showed the 6.2L V8 (LT2?) for the beginning, then a 4.2L DOHC TT V8 and a 5.5L DOHC TT V8 (this was targeted at 825hp(?)), which at the time I assumed was for Stingray, Z06 and ZR1 trims. It dawned on me that the Z06 could get the 5.5L, and the ZR1 would have the same basic engine with added electric motors and AWD. That leaves the 4.2L to replace the 6.2L pushrod engine after a few years in a refreshed base car. The C8.R will use a smaller (4.0L) displacement due to the rules. We know what the Cadillac Blackwing makes (550/627), so they could easily tune the 4.2L down or up for standard or Z06 duty.....because a 5.5L DOHC TT V8 will be a MONSTER. McLaren's 4.0L DOHC TT V8 makes 800hp with ease.

Does anyone have that leaked Engine Forecast document?
I agree, but what are the large blue boxes at the rear of the CAD for? For the NA car, might those be where the HXs are located? Just like the C7 but more substantial?
Old 06-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

The engine breathes from the rear sides. The blue part here is probably the filter box. The black tubes go out to wherever the fresh air source is. It's possible that fresh air comes from the green ducts in the chassis CAD. The C7 breathes through the front fender, and that's enough for even something as hungry as an LT5. So it's not like you need some massive duct that takes up the whole side of the car just to serve up intake air.

RapidC84B (06-10-2019)

Quick Reply: New Video?