Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to deal with the public (after C8 reveal)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 11:41 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

The people who care about such things are already here whining, and the general public doesn't give a hoot about the Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
smithers (06-15-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Cue up the production line, both shifts, to produce max the maximum amount to deal with the significant demand.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:23 AM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerv02
Honest to god, I just can't seem to understand your intentions. I can't tell if you're just straight trolling in all of your posts, or if you're genuinely just an oddball. In either case, why? What's the purpose, what's the end goal? This is a forum for people who, for the most part, are current/past owners of Corvettes and are passionate about the brand. Your 19 years old, I'm almost certain you have not owned a Corvette, let alone your own car. Surely you have better things to do than to be wasting your time trolling on a Corvette forum...... just my two cents
Some big accusations. Yes, I am 19. But I own a base C6 and will be buying a C8. And yes, this was partially a troll post because so many people feel the need to spend their own time defending the Corvette for GM, as well as worrying about likes on here.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:43 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
Some big accusations. Yes, I am 19. But I own a base C6 and will be buying a C8. And yes, this was partially a troll post because so many people feel the need to spend their own time defending the Corvette for GM, as well as worrying about likes on here.
Perfect, it's a troll thread, please mods, close it.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:53 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Yes, I am 19. But I own a base C6 and will be buying a C8.
I'd worry far more how to deal with the "daddy's money" comments from the public if I were you.
L8ter (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Yeah right. You are posting this as a lame attempt to tray and save face since so many people called you out about just how dumb it was, lol. What a joke, move along.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
BlueDevlZ06 (06-21-2019), khartford (06-17-2019), ShagVette (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Let me get this straight. You want someone else to prepare a response for you to tell others?

I think you should just buy a Prius and your worries are over.
khartford (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 07:34 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
That twin turbo, hybrid will do a lot better! In any case the average person, press etc perceives a 7 Liter V8 as a Gas Guzzler and a smaller engine as more efficient!

In the case of the 8.2 Liter engine in my Street Rod they are right! Gets about 10 mpg! They all depend on what they are tuned for, gear ratio's etc etc. Mine is set up for best 0 to 60!
Still beating that dead horse? Unlike you, most Corvette buyers don't suffer from the misconception that a smaller displacement engine is inherently superior.

Getting poor fuel economy on your street rod? Of course you are! And it's a direct consequence of you having made poor choices on the setup. Had you chosen modern ignition and fueling, and a modern overdrive transmission combined with good tuning, your fuel economy would be much better with no loss in performance. Don't keep trying to blame the engine size, when you were the one who sabotaged the fuel economy.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:41 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

When you drag something out expectations increase, if it's not a home run, many will pile on with negative comments. Beyond that who knows I been on a list for 3 years. If I am not happy with what I see I will move on, but feel I will be good.

Last edited by fasttoys; 06-16-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark
Frankly, I don’t care what the average yahoo thinks about Corvettes....
I don't either BUT GM must! Yep I can drive down the street with the ~10 mpg 8.2 Liter BB in my Street Rod and say tough to those thinking I'm screwing the environment- BUT GM can't! That hybrid FWD isn't there (or will it be marketed) so I can achieve more then my present ~1.2 "g" peak lateral acceleration achieved around the fountain at the end of my street with my Grand Sport!

You may not like it, but I predict in a few years the C8 will have forced Stop/Start and that light weight FWD hybrid, in normal driving, will operate by itself from all stops and slow speeds and the ICE turn on when reaching cruising speed! The energy normall wated when braking will charge the small battery. Sure when "driving in anger" with WOT both the ICE and FWD power will be available for a short time off the line or coming out of a turn or for my 20 to 100 mph blasts.) Great for enthusiasts and fortunately the EPA doesn't care what happens at WOT! The "average street car" doesn't drive at WOT a significant percentage of time.

So we get our cake and can eat it to. When normal cruising we put up with a system that gets better mpg (like all those with A8's going from V8 to V4) and when driving aggressively get the extra power. Just like at WOT the A8 is in V8 mode and the EPA could care less! (Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I only drive standard shifts and my Grand Sport has never been in ECO Mode in 2 years! But I'll accept the forced Stop/Start light weight hybrid before an EV! )

Yep hope my "elevator speech" can be: "An advantage of a ME is it leaves room for a FWD, light weight hydrid that will improve mpg!" Most of the folks I interface with every day could care less about cars and I have learned that talking cars is not smart around the average Jane or Joe, even when someone asks, how's your Corvette! I recall Jay Leno when host of the "Tonight Show" was asked by a guest who was also a "gearhead" why he never talks about his cars. He said because the vast majority of folks watching this show don't care! Must admit if there is another "gearhead" in a group of friends and we start talking cars everyone else tunes us out or walks away!

Gearhead talk is boring to most! GM knows the vast majority of their customers are NOT gearheads!

Yep, that short elevator speech will be useful after the C8 intro when I'll certainly be asked what I think about the "new Corvette" they saw on the news. My short statement that the hybrid will improve mpg will go over great with the average person who askes and I can change the subject to what they really care about their golf game that day!

In fact the 19 year old OP best learn to keep it short when he communicates with his "thumbs" as all his friends don't want to read more than a few lines!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:46 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

When the C6 came out, it wasn't a real Vette because the headlights didn't pop up.
When the C7 came out it wasn't a real Vette because the tail lights weren't round.
When the C8 comes out it won't be a real Vette because the engine is located in the rear not the front.
OP, Folks will get over whatever their issues with the C8 are just like those who got over their issues with the C6 and the C7. Just remember, if you own a C8 and someone is mouthing off about why they don't like it, there's a 90% chance the real reason is they can't afford one or their Significant Other won't let them buy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadbike56:
L8ter (06-16-2019), ShagVette (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 AM
wstafford
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I just hope the folks that buy them don't park them in the garage and display them like a piece of art. Corvette has always had beautiful lines and styling, the C8 will be no different. I think it will be a beautiful car that deserves to be driven, not hidden away on little square pieces of rubber to keep their tires from touching the concrete and tucked safely under their cover to protect them from all the elements. My hope is that every one of them gets at least 10,000 miles a year put on their odometer while their owners are enjoying the heck out of them, To heck with what everyone else thinks about your purchase. They're just cars, they'll make a million of them. Enjoy them!
Stafford
Old 06-16-2019, 08:05 AM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

This is the 2nd time now in a couple months you have admitted to creating a new thread as a troll, just to stir **** with other forum members. Kid, you make other 19 year olds look bad with your immaturity.

The mods shouldn't give you a nice 30 day temp. ban now, they should do it right about 7/15, so you can't post crap here during the height of the C8's public appearance... or, now and make it 60 days would be even better.
The following 2 users liked this post by ShagVette:
AORoads (06-16-2019), BlueDevlZ06 (06-22-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Ask them "This affects you in what way?".
Old 06-16-2019, 09:18 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by roadbike56
When the C6 came out, it wasn't a real Vette because the headlights didn't pop up.
When the C7 came out it wasn't a real Vette because the tail lights weren't round.
When the C8 comes out it won't be a real Vette because the engine is located in the rear not the front.
OP, Folks will get over whatever their issues with the C8 are just like those who got over their issues with the C6 and the C7. Just remember, if you own a C8 and someone is mouthing off about why they don't like it, there's a 90% chance the real reason is they can't afford one or their Significant Other won't let them buy it.
That post above has good humor in it but very possibly, a lot of truth, too.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, you're looking for an elevator speech, as that is all the time you'd have with most folks who will roll their eys if you give them tech talk like discussing "polar moment of inertia!" Yep that is one written so in very few words if you're on an elevator with someone, you can make a few quick points!

IMO it will depend on what is shown. I have said, Jolopnik, who has been negative about Corvette at times (and in todays Internet World short negative headlines get the most attention) might say something like this:

Title: "GM Introduces Halo Corvette with Old Pushrod V8!"

First Line: "While Mary Barra announced the long awaited halo Corvette with a 6.3 Liter pushrod V8, Alfa already has a 4 door sport sedan with a 505 hp 2.9 Liter twin turbo V6. In addition Alfa has announced it will soon add a 140 hp F1 hybrid for a total of 645 hp!"

I have speculated that one possible answer (and possible reason for the delay) would for Mary Barra to have at the launch the "soon to be available" more advanced version (Z06 or whatever it would be called.) It will probably have a high hp 4.2 Liter twin turbo engine (a variant of what is being built in Bowling Green.) To get the press positive and show they are a good corporate citizen concerned regarding the environment, it will have the Andy Pilgrim "leaked" FWD hybrid option!

The press will latch onto the hybrid as the main headline and discussion. If they do that then my "elevator speech" would be the words they gave Andy Pilgrim to use in that "leak: "An advantage of a ME is it leaves room for a FWD, light weight hydrid that will improve mpg!"
Acura tried what you are suggesting. The car is a total sales failure.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The Acura is a total sales failure primarily because of its price, and lack of a performance reputation consistent with that price tag. They'd sell a lot of them $80-90K range.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Michael A (06-16-2019), sunsalem (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:06 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

How to deal with LIFE 101..........
Old 06-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Go troll someplace else before you have no other choice.

You seem to be the only one concerned about getting likes.
The following 5 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
ByByBMW (06-16-2019), Easy Rhino (06-17-2019), Eminitrader (06-18-2019), jefnvk (06-17-2019), ShagVette (06-16-2019)

Quick Reply: How to deal with the public (after C8 reveal)