Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which other US automaker will the ME C8 join?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

^
Interesting, #1 is the Corvette.

NSX is 61st.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
^
Interesting, #1 is the Corvette.

NSX is 61st.
Not as bad as it looks, as the Corvette has 67% of it's parts made in the USA and the NSX has 45%(which is the same as the GMC Serra and the Tesla Model 3).
Old 06-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I regard the Kogod School of Business (American University, Washington DC) "Made in America Index" as the best indicator of the percentage of a vehicle's value that contributes to the U.S. economy. It goes beyond the American Automotive Labeling Act to include where the profit goes, where the R&D is done, etc. Here's the 2018 Made in America Auto Index.
Thanks for this. It's a good index, but it focuses upon US economic contribution per unit. Obviously a product which sells 500K-1M units plus is going to have a much bigger economic impact than a model which only sells 20-40K units per year.

It's a minor quibble, but only the Corvette A/T is #1. The MT falls to #9, which show how much impact a single component can have.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:55 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by David Chilbert
most of their expenses stay here. The folks who work in Marysville Oh like having jobs so they can spend Honda's money....
You can talk that game all day long.....but until Honda relocates their global corporate headquarters to the United States? They're still just a parasite on America.

..ALL profits beyond expenses go to Japan. That's not America! Globalists, both foreign and domestic, love to export as much of the U.S. Economy as they can. They usually have no skin in-the-game. Think foreign lobbyists and their ilk. People that gain their livelihoods from the Government or the education system, and not in the private sector, are usually down with exporting American jobs. Sad!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 06-15-2019 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ronstar (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

You got the whack job emoji right to characterize your post.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-15-2019 at 11:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
heavymetals (06-16-2019), Rapid Fred (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:49 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You can talk that game all day long.....but until Honda relocates their global corporate headquarters to the United States? They're still just a parasite on America.

..ALL profits beyond expenses go to Japan. That's not America! Globalists, both foreign and domestic, love to export as much of the U.S. Economy as they can. They usually have no skin in-the-game. Think foreign lobbyists and their ilk. People that gain their livelihoods from the Government or the education system, and not in the private sector, are usually down with exporting American jobs. Sad!

If Honda USA was an American company then we would still have the jobs from sales, manufacturing, etc providing income to thousands but at the end of the day the billions in capital at is currently transferred to Japan would remain here in the USA.
Ronstar (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:21 AM
racerx1909
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Foreign car companies that assemble vehicles in America most often do so with "Local Parts" which are other transplanted foreign companies that set up American shell companies - Denso America, etc.
I read that almost $9 out of $11from such situations go back to the home country.
This has been a longstanding PR campaign designed to make us believe that this is good for America - not.

A Ford or GM assembled in Mexico or Canada contributes far more $ to the US economy than a Honda assemble in Ohio.

Last edited by racerx1909; 06-16-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Ronstar (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:26 AM
racerx1909
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by David Chilbert
most of their expenses stay here. The folks who work in Marysville Oh like having jobs so they can spend Honda's money....
Incorrect
Most of the high value expenses such as engineering and R&D are done abroad.
The lowest value added $ are here.
While I'm happy that the $40K/yr assembler is employed in Marysville, I would rather have the tax $ and shopping power of the hundreds of $125K/yr engineers behind every final assembler.
Ronstar (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom73

If Honda USA was an American company then we would still have the jobs from sales, manufacturing, etc providing income to thousands but at the end of the day the billions in capital at is currently transferred to Japan would remain here in the USA.
Brilliant, so let's discourage all foreign car companies from building factories in the US unless they become exclusively US companies, whatever that definition means. Good luck with that policy. Then the EU and China can do the same to US companies. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. The US economy is far better off under current policy and encouraging "foreign" manufacturers to build here, as opposed to importing them from foreign factories.

An alternative policy would be patently stupid, and I'm not referring to tariffs. If it's built here, it's not subject to tariffs, and there are all kinds of great reasons to have them built here.

And BTW, I believe all "foreign" US manufacturers have registered as US entities, such as BMW of N. America, and so on with the rest.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-16-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:00 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread is great for comic relief.
The following 2 users liked this post by heavymetals:
B747VET (06-16-2019), Foosh (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Originally Posted by Foosh
Brilliant, so let's discourage all foreign car companies from building factories in the US unless they become exclusively US companies, whatever that definition means. Good luck with that policy. Then the EU and China can do the same to US companies. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. The US economy is far better off under current policy and encouraging "foreign" manufacturers to build here, as opposed to importing them from foreign factories.

An alternative policy would be patently stupid, and I'm not referring to tariffs. If it's built here, it's not subject to tariffs, and there are all kinds of great reasons to have them built here.

And BTW, I believe all "foreign" US manufacturers have registered as US entities, such as BMW of N. America, and so on with the rest.
I agree that it is somewhat good to have them here. Just that people need to realize where there money is ultimately going when they buy their products.
It would be best to encourage US manufacturing to develop the high quality products that foreign manufacturers cannot compete with and that the rest of the world will want.

Last edited by Tom73; 06-16-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Good luck with that too. It's foreign competition that caused US manufacturers to up their game enough to survive. They're not exactly all the way there yet.

When US manufacturers had the market all to themselves, it didn't go nearly as well for either consumers or the US economy. Yes, money is still going off-shore, but a hell of a lot more of it is staying in this country as opposed to the time when all foreign cars were imports. We're much better off today in all respects.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-16-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Rapid Fred (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 01:59 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
...who said the ME is going to be mass produced? I haven't heard that anywhere I've actually read the opposite that volume is going to be 10k and it's going to be sold GLOBALLY.

10k global volume IMO. Will pass emissions in all countrys. 4.2-4L 169k

don't be shocked on the reveal date..
If this was sarcasm, it’s too early and I missed it. If not, seek help from a qualified therapist.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

He's been doing these occasional drive-by's for months steadfastly maintaining the C8 would be a low-volume, six-figure car. Most folks have concluded he's just trolling to generate arguments and have been ignoring him.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

FCA isn't or the Viper would have stayed in.production. They also have Ferrari. Ford has the GT. Since the domestics with foreign names don't count. no major corporations. Fords will retain demand and appreciate and GM will flood the market and depreciate. GM has not been successful at building an exclusive model that did depreciation like a rock once the initial frenzy past.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Be that as it may, GM has a more successful business model with the Corvette. I don't think any one has ever accused the Ford GT of being either profitable or a permanent presence.

Ferrari is a bit unique and now a much higher volume producer than they used to be (about 8K units annually worldwide) at high prices. They get away with it because of their long and glorious racing history, but they have also needed financial rescues at many times in their past.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-16-2019 at 02:26 PM.
orclubduck (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Speaking of which, I just ran across an interesting study on the economic impact of the American Honda Company, Inc. published in 2009. Among the "expenses" alluded to in the bizarre post above are $17 Billion in US worker annual wages and salaries alone. That doesn't include construction, maintenance, property and other taxes, utilities, and all the other considerable expenses required to keep a large operation running. American Honda was also responsible for 367,683 US jobs, and that was in 2007.

And folks unable to see the forest for the trees are worried about where a $450M profit is going, with a good chunk of that getting reinvested in US operations. Get some perspective. That's some parasite sinking billions and billions into the US economy with all that money being spent in the US.

Multiply that enormous Honda contribution by the many other "foreign" manufacturers with a large US manufacturing presence like BMW, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, MB, Nissan, Subaru, Volvo, and VW, and we're talking heavy US economic stimulus.

I suppose MAGA Skid would propose that all these "parasites" should take all those billions spent in the US back home.

(link below).

http://www.remi.com/wp-content/uploa...onda-study.pdf

Last edited by Foosh; 06-16-2019 at 04:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
orclubduck (06-16-2019), SingleTrackMinded (06-16-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I regard the Kogod School of Business (American University, Washington DC) "Made in America Index" as the best indicator of the percentage of a vehicle's value that contributes to the U.S. economy. It goes beyond the American Automotive Labeling Act to include where the profit goes, where the R&D is done, etc. Here's the 2018 Made in America Auto Index.
Interesting list. Honda was #1 with 75% of its Pilot and Ridgeline and Jeep #2 with the Wrangler at 74% being US/Canada content; GM & Ford have high North American content, but a substantial portion is from Mexico. GM gets to 90% NA with its pickups, which are 46% Mexican content.

Quick Reply: Which other US automaker will the ME C8 join?