Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jim Mero responds to podcast related C8 articles

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim Mero responds to podcast related C8 articles

Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Jim Mero
CF Senior Member

Received 471 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
Question for Jim Mero:

Jim, if GM had come to you three years ago and said we want you to design the ultimate track suspension to offer as a special option (think Viper ACR-E destroyer) on the last production year of the C7, what would it be?
You are not limited by NVH, minimum parts life expectancy, etc.....this is the hardcore of track suspension packages that will probably never be offered by a major manufacturer again. This is a car that is designed to be flogged over and over again at track days, etc. Literally a track day special.
You also are allowed an unlimited budget, unlimited track tuning time and extra engineers if needed. I know that last sentence is an engineers wet dream but I'd like get your opinion without corporate limitations.

What changes would you make to the following and anything else you deem necessary for the ultimate showroom track car?

-Springs/spring design...stay leaf spring or go coil over or something else?
-Shocks....electronic or manual adjustment, favorite configuration?
-A-arm bushings or bushing design?
-Stock A-arms or would you design something different?
-Spindles....stay stock, change them or go to a drop spindle?
-Changes in steering rack system?
-Differential...E-diff or something like an OS Giken or Quaife or something else?
-Swaybar and swaybar design options
-Any changes to the tie rod system design or placement?
-Brakes....stay carbon or go steel rotors?
-Favorite tires from the current available options you feel would be great for this setup?

I'm hoping you can answer these questions as it would be interesting to hear your opinions on the ultimate hardcore track package without marketing, accounting or the board of directors getting in the way.

TIA.
Open Checkbook, eh? lol

So this is just off the top of my head. Keeping in mind tires, track width, and cg height, are the 3 most important things. And if it's 3 years ago, I'll assume front front engine configuration. I would kindly ask; no questions about front Vs mid-engine.

-Springs/spring design...stay leaf spring or go coil over or something else?
Even though the tire does not care what spring damper system transfers load to the tire patch, and it's only track based, probably coil overs for the simple reason of the ease to change them for different tracks, i.e.bumpy vs smooth. Also significantly easier to adjust ride height and cross weights.

-Shocks....electronic or manual adjustment, favorite configuration?
For sure MRC. too much felxability and fast program changes.

-A-arm bushings or bushing design?
Heim joints or nylon bushings. Again, ride quality is not a consideration

-Stock A-arms or would you design something different?
the stock arms on the C7 are fine. I would need to look over the kinematics to see if I would re-locate any attachments for better curves. Also the need to obtain 3 to 4 degrees of negative camber.

-Spindles....stay stock, change them or go to a drop spindle?
Assuming I can get the ride height with the spring adjustment, stock. If I can't then I would consider drop spindles, but the lateral stiffness and kinematics would have to be transparent.

-Changes in steering rack system?
No

-Differential...E-diff or something like an OS Giken or Quaife or something else?
ELSD, like the dampers, too much flexability

-Swaybar and swaybar design options
More direct acting bars with the ability to adjust by changing the arm length to the link or on-board adjustment

-Any changes to the tie rod system design or placement?
all heim joints. Rear toe link as well.

-Brakes....stay carbon or go steel rotors?
Carbon for sure. Better pedal feel, output, mass, and lining life

-Favorite tires from the current available options you feel would be great for this setup?
This I would have to investigate. The best slick out there.

Also I'd move the engine rearward, closer to the cg. No interior, custom carbon fiber dash, just large enough to hold the gauges. And a DCT with an optimized automatic mode. Shifting takes time, and an automatic mode is one less of degree of separation for total focus on hitting my marks, both on the track and on the throttle.

That's about all I can think about off the top of my head.

Jim
The following 19 users liked this post by Jim Mero:
ArmchairArchitect (07-09-2019), bigwoolyg (07-09-2019), CPhelps (07-09-2019), drs (07-10-2019), Foosh (07-09-2019), JDogg (07-09-2019), NineVettes (07-09-2019), OnPoint (07-09-2019), RKCRLR (07-09-2019), ShagVette (07-09-2019), Shaka (07-09-2019), SilverGhost (07-09-2019), Skid Row Joe (07-09-2019), sly1 (07-11-2019), SouthernSon (07-10-2019), Telepierre (07-13-2019), TNBUSA (07-11-2019), Tool Hoarder (07-09-2019), VetteDrmr (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:59 PM
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Mero View Post
I'll assume front front engine configuration. I would kindly ask; no questions about front Vs mid-engine.
Jim,

First off, thanks so much for what you've done for Corvette over the years, and for communicating with us. My question is one of semantics that I've been taken to task on over the months/years:

Do you consider the C5-C7 (don't remember about the C4) to be a front engine or a front mid-engine setup? Does it make a difference?

Thanks again, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 AM
TrackAire
CF Senior Member

Received 256 Likes on 187 Posts

Hi Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to answer all questions. Nice to know you're also pro DCT!!

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Jim Mero (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:27 PM
Shaka
CF Senior Member

Received 630 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
Hi Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to answer all questions. Nice to know you're also pro DCT!!

Cheers
That's amazing. Well done. Jim spoke directly to you. Good for you.
Jim Mero (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Jim Mero
CF Senior Member

Received 471 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr View Post
Jim,

First off, thanks so much for what you've done for Corvette over the years, and for communicating with us. My question is one of semantics that I've been taken to task on over the months/years:

Do you consider the C5-C7 (don't remember about the C4) to be a front engine or a front mid-engine setup? Does it make a difference?

Thanks again, and have a good one,
Mike
Hi Mike,

With each new generation, we tried to move the engine in the direction of the CG, but they're pretty much front engine architectures.

Jim
Shaka (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 AM
ArmchairArchitect
CF Senior Member

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 486 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr View Post
By definition, it's front-mid-engine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-en...ar-wheel_drive

https://jalopnik.com/some-idiots-i-w...gin-1797071745
Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 PM
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Mero View Post
Hi Mike,

With each new generation, we tried to move the engine in the direction of the CG, but they're pretty much front engine architectures.

Jim
Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect View Post
By definition, it's front-mid-engine
Jim,

Thanks for your opinion. I know the technical definition of a ME, but I wanted to learn about the practical nature of the beast.

Have a good one,
Mike
Jim Mero (07-12-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jim Mero responds to podcast related C8 articles

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: