Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Base model traditional AWD option speculation (Based on New 7/1/2019 Video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 11:51 AM
black_valentine
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Default C8 Base model traditional AWD option speculation (Based on New 7/1/2019 Video)

(From the new Germany video)

In the tire pressure widget, downhil spotted the two differentials (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dows-down.html).

The current non-high-end Jag F-type features a traditional mechanical AWD system as an option.

Based on the above screen cap of the tire pressure widget, do you think the base C8 will offer an optional traditional AWD system?

Perhaps while you're driving, this tire pressure widget will indicate/highlight (with color?) in real-time, the power distribution to the front vs rear.

Of course, without knowing more, there are other possible explanations for the above tire pressure widget showing a front axle and front differential:

• Reused widget from a future non-base C8 AWD model
  • Reused widget from a different vehicle all-together
  • Pre-production widget to be changed before production
  • This is not a base model
  • Other
Regarding a hybrid AWD system, I speculate that a hybrid AWD will be exclusive to a future higher-performance model.

Last edited by black_valentine; 07-02-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Edited Jag F-type model range description from low-end to non-high-end per Foosh comment for clarity
Old 07-02-2019, 12:01 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

No, the cars testing now are the higher version model Z06 & Zora ZR1. AWD too expensive for base $60-70k
The following users liked this post:
FringbirdAloha (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The V6 AWD Jag F-Type you speak of is hardly "low-end." The 380HP V6 AWD version MSRPs at $88K without any other options. The base RWD starts at $61K.

EDIT: OP edited his original post in the response to the above. Thus, above is now irrelevant.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-02-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Clarification due to OP edit
Old 07-02-2019, 12:11 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

No. I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility, but I think it is far more likely they used graphics from another vehicle while finishing up the C8 ones.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Mehfoud
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't the easy test be to see if all 4 tires are the same size?
Edwardz (07-06-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:18 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Mehfoud
And yet, there were two mules for sister sara sitting at the gas station. And nobody thought of this? Or they did, and the leaked/staged video avoided that clue.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:20 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Foosh
The V6 AWD Jag is hardly "low-end." It's an expensive up charge over the base RWD V6.
Let me clarify. I was distinguishing between V6* and V8 models where AWD is available as an option, or standard. I was trying to convey that the V6 model is lower in the line-up compared to the V8 models, much like the base Corvette has traditionally been lower in the line-up compared to the higher-performance models (e.g., GS, Z06, ZR1, etc.)

* Excluding the I4 296 hp and V6 340 hp versions that don't offer AWD as an option
Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
And yet, there were two mules for sister sara sitting at the gas station. And nobody thought of this? Or they did, and the leaked/staged video avoided that clue.
Very interesting ...
Old 07-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

AWD is not all that expensive and is available on so many performances cars these days, both FE and RE. No reason it real couldn’t be available on the base C8, but there hasn’t been any indication of it until now, and it was not on the leaked order option sheet.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:27 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShagVette
No, the cars testing now are the higher version model Z06 & Zora ZR1. AWD too expensive for base $60-70k
But would it still be too expensive for base "$60-70k" if it were available as an option on top of that price?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by black_valentine
Let me clarify. I was distinguishing between V6* and V8 models where AWD is available as an option, or standard. I was trying to convey that the V6 model is lower in the line-up compared to the V8 models, much like the base Corvette has traditionally been lower in the line-up compared to the higher-performance models (e.g., GS, Z06, ZR1, etc.)

* Excluding the I4 296 hp and V6 340 hp versions that don't offer AWD as an option
OK, but lower in the line-up is not low enough by Corvette standards. That F-Type V6 AWD MSRP would bracket above the current GS. You referred to it as the "low-end current V6 AWD Jag F-Type," until you deleted that language in your OP, but in actuality it is mid-level in the F-Type food chain.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-02-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: edited due to OP clarification.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:49 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Foosh
OK, but lower in the line-up is not low enough by Corvette standards. That F-Type V6 AWD MSRP would bracket above the current GS. You referred to it as the "low-end current V6 AWD Jag F-Type," but in actuality it is mid-level in the F-Type food chain.
Fair enough. I edited my original description for clarity.
Foosh (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:51 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red67John
AWD is not all that expensive and is available on so many performances cars these days, both FE and RE. No reason it real couldn’t be available on the base C8, but there hasn’t been any indication of it until now, and it was not on the leaked order option sheet.
It would be interesting if they offer it as an option on the base.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:56 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Wasnt it establishes on the earlier Ring images that it has 19 F and 20 R. ?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:56 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 4,981 Likes on 1,815 Posts

AWD doesn’t necessarily require all the tires to be the same size. For example, Lamborghini AWD cars don’t have the same size tires front to back.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I'm not feeling it, but I've been wrong (just ask my wife).

We've heard nothing about it to date, and that's a lot of additional change management to add to the package in addition to everything else for the C8 model.

But no, it's not that expensive. My wife's daily driver Toyota RAV4 has it and I think the out the door price was under 24K or something like that. True, it doesn't have gobs of torque to deal with.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:09 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Why do people think AWD requires the same size tires F/R? It doesn't. I highly doubt GM is delivering a hybrid electric AWD base Corvette for $60K. That leaves 3 options:

1. This is pre-production software using code from something else (a truck maybe) to create that image.

2. This is code that will be used in the "Zora" and is pre-production and being used in the base car for testing.

3. This is a new powertrain testing in the base body.

That said... electric hybrid front drive won't have a front differential to begin with. I don't for a second thing a traditional mechanical AWD will be stuffed in this car.
The following 4 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
blacheg (07-06-2019), jefnvk (07-02-2019), MikeG37 (07-02-2019), mre1974 (07-06-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Base model traditional AWD option speculation (Based on New 7/1/2019 Video)

Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Mehfoud
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smithers
AWD doesn’t necessarily require all the tires to be the same size. For example, Lamborghini AWD cars don’t have the same size tires front to back.
Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Why do people think AWD requires the same size tires F/R? It doesn't. I highly doubt GM is delivering a hybrid electric AWD base Corvette for $60K. That leaves 3 options:

1. This is pre-production software using code from something else (a truck maybe) to create that image.

2. This is code that will be used in the "Zora" and is pre-production and being used in the base car for testing.

3. This is a new powertrain testing in the base body.

That said... electric hybrid front drive won't have a front differential to begin with. I don't for a second thing a traditional mechanical AWD will be stuffed in this car.

Couple of things:

1. It seems all AWD sports cars have the same diameter wheels on front and rear, including Lamborghini, Porsche, and GTR. Yes, the widths can vary but the wheel heights are the same. Corvette traditionally has run 1" smaller rims in the front than rear so equal rims on all 4 tires would be a break from their traditional form factor.

2. All car companies are reducing model lines but increasing trim/feature sets on the remain models to have a wider price range.. Look at Porsche and the Ford Mustang as an example.. With the news of Camaro being discontinued, I'd be surprised if GM doesn't increase configuration and engine options for their only remaining sports car in order to increase sales.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:31 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Couple of things:

1. It seems all AWD sports cars have the same diameter wheels on front and rear, including Lamborghini, Porsche, and GTR. Yes, the widths can vary but the wheel heights are the same. Corvette traditionally has run 1" smaller rims in the front than rear so equal rims on all 4 tires would be a break from their traditional form factor.

2. All car companies are reducing model lines but increasing trim/feature sets on the remain models to have a wider price range.. Look at Porsche and the Ford Mustang as an example.. With the news of Camaro being discontinued, I'd be surprised if GM doesn't increase configuration and engine options for their only remaining sports car in order to increase sales.
Those are mechanical AWD systems with a 2nd drive shaft, differential, and axles. We're talking electric hybrid front drive.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Would check the wheel stagger against the dash indicator before I thought it was AWD. Do expect AWD down the road but not before the DOHC/DCT package.

Quick Reply: C8 Base model traditional AWD option speculation (Based on New 7/1/2019 Video)