Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Here is your C8 engine...according to GM Authority

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is your C8 engine...according to GM Authority

 
Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 AM
  #81  
Jinx
CF Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 7,698
Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Transverse leaf springs! Round taillights and exhaust tips! Dogs and cats, living together!
Jinx is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:38 AM
  #82  
PurpleLion
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Posts: 244
Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
Have you ever heard of torque? A torque curves? And the concept of power density? A 6.2 LT motor is very small dimensionally.
Yes it is very small dimensionally and this is probably the primary reason that GM is still using it instead of a more modern engine design on its front engine Corvettes. The smaller dimensions of the LT1 enable the low hood lines of the C7 that are required to achieve the expected Corvette profile. With the C8, engine dimensions are much less critical enabling GM to use any engine design that can meet the C8's performance objectives.
PurpleLion is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 AM
  #83  
WICKEDFRC
CF Senior Member
 
WICKEDFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Avatar designed by WickedFRC.
Posts: 12,356
Received 526 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ojm View Post
Old technology tweaked?
From the article: ".....the LT2 may also feature a few other improvements compared to the LT1."

Key word: "May."
WICKEDFRC is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:01 AM
  #84  
WICKEDFRC
CF Senior Member
 
WICKEDFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Avatar designed by WickedFRC.
Posts: 12,356
Received 526 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
Well, some people think their Z06 is a supercar. It doesn’t make it so.
I tend to think of my Z06 as a "Super Chevy", but definitely not a "Supercar."

But for some who cannot afford a Corvette, they see a Corvette Z06 as a "Supercar." If this makes any sense.
WICKEDFRC is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:15 PM
  #85  
sly1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,220
Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nunii View Post
Are you serious gt3rs only needs 4 liters 6cyl to make 520 hp ..... the ls need a 6.2 v8 to make less and only revs to 6400 ... please don’t compare a Porsche engine with corvette engine!!

last great Vette engine was in the c6 z06!
How about the 3.8 liter 6cyl engine in the Porsche GT2RS which makes 690 HP; it has a top speed of 211 mph and does 0 - 60 in 2.7 secs. So not exactly a puny engine.
sly1 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 PM
  #86  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 7,801
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sly1 View Post
How about the 3.8 liter 6cyl engine in the Porsche GT2RS which makes 690 HP; it has a top speed of 211 mph and does 0 - 60 in 2.7 secs. So not exactly a puny engine.
You have to factor in the weight and volume of the turbos and intercoolers to make that power along with the engine itself.
Tool Hoarder is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 PM
  #87  
sly1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,220
Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
You have to factor in the weight and volume of the turbos and intercoolers to make that power along with the engine itself.
True and let's not forget the engine's reliability. Porsche provides a 4 year 50K mile warranty on a GT2RS which in most cases will spend the majority of its time on the track. OTOH the cost of the power plant in a GT2RS probably costs a lot more than the MSRP of a well equipped C8. Not comparing a $75K C8 to a $300K GT2, but it is possible to get a huge amount of power out of a small power plant, provided that you have virtually unlimited money to spend.
sly1 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 PM
  #88  
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member
 
HooosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,473
Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
Yes, and it doesn’t like to rev and sounds like a truck, I want my sports car engine to rev freely and scream like a ra*ed ape. 6.2 liters to provide 500 HP is pretty shameful, Alfa’s 2.9 V6 makes that and sounds nuts.
Giulia Quadrifoglio's is essentially a 4 door Ferrari... and an absolute monster that growls like one
HooosierDaddy is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 PM
  #89  
jimbob8915
CF Senior Member
 
jimbob8915's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 612
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

I dont think it is too much to ask for a C8 base motor to have equal to or more power than the C6Z. 14 years of development should get you that for .7 liters
jimbob8915 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 PM
  #90  
awright2009
CF Senior Member
 
awright2009's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 266
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Good choice, putting a V6 in there would have let down thousands of exhaust sound enthusiasts. Turbo is in the future no doubt, super charger would be easy too

I bet they added port injection to put the coking of valve business to rest

Last edited by awright2009; 07-10-2019 at 10:58 PM.
awright2009 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 AM
  #91  
mustclime
CF Senior Member
 
mustclime's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,265
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by punky View Post
This is an outstanding post. So true.

There are many of us who adore the Chevrolet V8. So entertaining to watch and listen to the semantic dance that the Euro-wennies engage in when the C7 or C8 Corvette is discussed along with the massive power that is easily realized with GM's simplistic design vs the pip squeak econo box displacement motors that Porsche employs . Seriously, who really wants a 181 cubic inch, 6 cylinder puss motor jacked up with tennie wennie air pumps to comply with European tree hugger, carbon BS mandates and sounds like the neighbors housewife in her Toyota going up the street on her way to Krogers. Forget about it. Man up and stick with a big ball V8.
Ford coyote and voodoo motors are NA, they make more hp per cube.... not a ford fan, just saying.
mustclime is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 AM
  #92  
NineVettes
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 365
Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts
Default

It will have a Flux-Capacitor.
NineVettes is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 AM
  #93  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 5,444
Received 810 Likes on 537 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
Ford coyote and voodoo motors are NA, they make more hp per cube.... not a ford fan, just saying.
But they are also a dimensionally larger (and probably heavier) package for the same power.
I don't really see the advantages of a smaller displacement, but physically larger engine. While producing big power from small displacement is a fascinating engineering exercise, producing big power from a dimensionally smaller total engine package is no less so.
Warp Factor is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Warp Factor:
68roadster (07-11-2019), CPhelps (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:15 AM
  #94  
punky
CF Senior Member
 
punky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Bonita Springs FL
Posts: 3,975
Received 656 Likes on 384 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sly1 View Post
How about the 3.8 liter 6cyl engine in the Porsche GT2RS which makes 690 HP; it has a top speed of 211 mph and does 0 - 60 in 2.7 secs. So not exactly a puny engine.
Could you imagine owning one of those complicated nightmares outside of its warranty period? All those stats and car magazine hype sound great until you are the guy who is on the hook for the insane service costs that are a part off ownership whether the Porsche defenders of the faith like it or not. Reminds me of the oil leak I had with a 930 I owned back in the day. Estimate was "around" $7,000 to stop the leak. These ownership of this of this vehicle was the most painful financial experience of my life and was absolutely common with these cars. I've seen nothing to date that would make me believe that things are ay different now. Love the post I saw yesterday about a $27,000 Cayman replacement transmission. This is the rotten truth about Porsche ownership that always brings on a violent reaction from import boys.
punky is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 AM
  #95  
84 4+3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,018
Received 311 Likes on 247 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
But they are also a dimensionally larger (and probably heavier) package for the same power.
I don't really see the advantages of a smaller displacement, but physically larger engine. While producing big power from small displacement is a fascinating engineering exercise, producing big power from a dimensionally smaller total engine package is no less so.
IIRC the voodo is larger but not much heavier. The problem is the center of mass is much higher.
84 4+3 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:11 AM
  #96  
nunii
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: brooklyn ny
Posts: 546
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by punky View Post
Could you imagine owning one of those complicated nightmares outside of its warranty period? All those stats and car magazine hype sound great until you are the guy who is on the hook for the insane service costs that are a part off ownership whether the Porsche defenders of the faith like it or not. Reminds me of the oil leak I had with a 930 I owned back in the day. Estimate was "around" $7,000 to stop the leak. These ownership of this of this vehicle was the most painful financial experience of my life and was absolutely common with these cars. I've seen nothing to date that would make me believe that things are ay different now. Love the post I saw yesterday about a $27,000 Cayman replacement transmission. This is the rotten truth about Porsche ownership that always brings on a violent reaction from import boys.
I think we are all car guys..... but real men call it as we see it!
nunii is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:34 AM
  #97  
Kingtal0n
CF Senior Member
 
Kingtal0n's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: miami florida
Posts: 1,015
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

460ft*lbs near 100%volumetric efficiency

460*6000/5252=525bhp
460*7000/5252=613bhp

Every engine is only practical as a forced induction baseline. 2.0L factory engines are doing 500tire dynojet at 28-30psi of boost, thanks in part to E85 pump fuels, so a naturally aspirated engine with 450tire is not so impressive in that comparison except perhaps as a fuel savings bonus (implying that 6L owners are 'cheap' because they want an engine that will produce 450ft*lbs on cheaper 93 octane fuels)

Fuel cost aside, slap on a blower or turbo and 6L becomes more scale to the time. 800hp 1000hp is a legit target for ~6L forced induction pump E85, if only to properly compete with 500hp 2L engine. 2L torque is 450ft*lbs also at ~30psi of boost from 4700rpm to 7,000rpm, similar to 3,600-6,000rpm range 6L has. The baseline supercharged torque for tolerably low rpm is approx 2500-3500rpm, meaning you won't see many supercharger dynographs boasting their pre-2500rpm torque values. So if we take this 2500-3500 range as the "belt driven gap", that is, the difference in 'spool' between supercharged and modern turbocharged onset of boost. That is an expected trade off for not having to belt-drive the forced induction. E85 and modern tech has elevated what small displacement can do, so I only look at 2L engines and consider what 3L must be capable of. And then 4L. And by the time I get to 5L I don't even want to drive the car on the ground anymore.
Kingtal0n is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM
  #98  
Telepierre
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Telepierre's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,597
Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sly1 View Post
True and let's not forget the engine's reliability. Porsche provides a 4 year 50K mile warranty on a GT2RS which in most cases will spend the majority of its time on the track. OTOH the cost of the power plant in a GT2RS probably costs a lot more than the MSRP of a well equipped C8. Not comparing a $75K C8 to a $300K GT2, but it is possible to get a huge amount of power out of a small power plant, provided that you have virtually unlimited money to spend.
I would suggest peeling the Porsche onion back a bit because there is always a catch in there.. always!

1. @690 SAE HP the GT2RS engine is not puny but it needs a one gallon water tank good for about a ten minute track session. Once the gallon is gone the engine safeguards itself to oblivion.

https://www.pff.de/index.php?thread/...2-rs/&pageNo=1

2. On reliability and warranty you forgot to mention the GT2RS warranty is voided once the car hits the track.

https://files1.porsche.com/filestore...nty-Manual.pdf

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
• Malfunctions in any part or system caused by misuse, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, improper or inadequate maintenance, fuel contamination, and, depending upon the powertrain in your Porsche vehicle, the use of gasoline which is leaded or not of the required minimum octane, or the use of diesel fuel exceeding ULSD specifications for sulfur or exceeding 5% methyl ester biodiesel.
• Damage resulting from accident, road hazards (on or off the road), track use or competitive events, acts of God, or other events beyond the control of PCNA
3. Replacement cost of a 911 regular turbo overs around 77K: https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterp...CABEgIscPD_BwE

It's not unreasonable for the GT2RS engine to touch the 100K replacement mark (without labor) which brings me to a key point:

4. In light of 1. 2. & 3. most GT2RS don't spend most of their time on the track but in the garage, weekend parade or on some car sales portal waiting to be flipped...

Cheers
Telepierre is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by Telepierre:
Suns_PSD (07-11-2019), trooper (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 12:17 PM
  #99  
DevonK
CF Senior Member
 
DevonK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Posts: 142
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PurpleLion View Post
Yes it is very small dimensionally and this is probably the primary reason that GM is still using it instead of a more modern engine design on its front engine Corvettes. The smaller dimensions of the LT1 enable the low hood lines of the C7 that are required to achieve the expected Corvette profile. With the C8, engine dimensions are much less critical enabling GM to use any engine design that can meet the C8's performance objectives.
Aren't there other considerations which would favour a more compact engine even in a ME Vette? Luggage space maximization for one, the car needs to be a practical GT. And a smaller engine should give a lower COG and (possibly) a more centred weight distribution, both of which should improve handling.

Last edited by DevonK; 07-11-2019 at 12:30 PM.
DevonK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here is your C8 engine...according to GM Authority


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: