Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you firmly believe the Stingray base will start >$80K
Yes
22.55%
No
77.45%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Any >$80K Base MSRP Diehards out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
Unfortunately, it's current demographic already did. They haven't been selling well despite steep discounts, and there is only so much more you can do with a FE platform. Maybe they will also offer a FE car, but if they don't and that platform is truly maxed out it may just be time for evolution for the Corvette.. this will be aimed at McLarener's and future McLarener's and IMO will be a low production global car (IMO).. I can't see this thing being under six figures..

A fully loaded factory modified 2019 Stingray :cough: with aero, a weight increase, and a different blower :cough: ZR1 maxed out at 155k..

I can't see this thing being significantly (or any) lower then the 129-155k ZR1 price..

They didn't just pull up a computer program and toss the engine in the back so we can all pretend like we are driving a lambroghini that's underpowered, underpreforming, "480hp" car but hey it's 60 grand with the engine in the back..? Really??

Why did the dealers pick there 2 best (paid them the most money) clients ONLY to attend?

Hmmmmm.....

This is FAR MORE then a cosmetic/engine tweak change in generations and some of you are just totally not in touch with reality..

Like really? 60k? Anyone who thinks this delusion is accurate is going to feel really, really disappointed.

See you guys during the reveal. Keep telling each other it's going to be 60k and then maybe in some multiverse that actually becomes a reality.
Wow...I am so glad that I didn't put you on my ignore list back when people were losing their minds over the $169k thread, this is pure gold.

You have to be the most delusional person when it comes to pricing on this forum...or a troll stirring the pot. We have so much evidence that this car that is going to be revealed will be priced similarly to the outgoing base model that it's almost a foregone conclusion. You are stuck in this mentality that a mid engine car has to be expensive, and that GM is going to reveal a much more powerful and exclusive vehicle that almost every other leak or rumor seems to indicate.

We have seen examples of exactly what will happen if GM overpriced the C8 in cars like the Viper, R8, and NSX. All of those cars are on dead or on the way to car heaven. The ZR1 sells a few cars compared to the total number of Corvettes produced in a production run, but their base models have always been the highest sales of all variants...because its affordable. Then there is the actual FACTS that we know. All of the test cars save one example have the blank steel brake rotors. Not exactly what you would find on a $100k+ car, and product testing the car without the running gear that will be provided to customers is honestly not going to happen. Tadge Juechter, literally the man behind the C7 and C8 has come out and said that Corvette fans will be "happy" with the C8. Corvette fans like their affordable supercar killer, nuff said. The leaked CAD images show a similar chassis structure to the C7 indicating that the chassis is not some super expensive CF monocoque or something else entirely. Even the tires on the camo cars are nothing spectacular like PSS Cup 2s or something along those lines...another indication that the car is going to be affordable. When we saw the prototype Z06 and ZR1 for the C7 generation testing, they ran with the equipment that was going to be on the production car...the Z06s seen testing were the CCB Brembos so we knew from the outset that they were going to be on the car.

I could go on and on...yet you seem hell bent on refusing to acknowledge that any of this relates to the C8...I'm guessing that you assume that the camouflaged C8 we've seen running around is not the car that is going to be released and that GM is going to come to the reveal with some entirely different car.

5 days to go...hopefully you'll stick around after the reveal and eat that crow.
The following users liked this post:
ViperFan1 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by JaredJ1991
You guys are crazy Or you are right which means GM is also crazy. If 80k msrp on a stingray-like base model corvette that means most dealers with options will be selling around 100k. Once you hit 90k+ you are entering a new customer base who has never had a desire for a corvette and Probably sees corvette as a “poor mans sports car.” Chevy should know their market. 60-80k is the sweet spot period. Some diehards will get the higher horsepower models that will come out later but GM knows they will be lucky to sell 1000 of those.
What has always been true in moving from one generation to the next is that, and as Juechter said it concerning the C7, "if you could afford the last one, you can afford this one." and that, as has been true previously will extend to the performance variants to come, if you could afford the last Z06, you can afford this one, and so on. GM knows too well that they aren't going to pull too many Ferrari, Lambo, and McLaren folks from those brands. Those folks buy badges and prestige. They buy those cars for what they are and what they represent, not what they can do. The only "Bow Tie" at that country club is the one that comes with the tuxedo.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Pulling folks from Ferrari, Lambo, and McLaren is of no interest to GM because there are too few of them. It might make a good testimonial to show off a couple of exotic owners who sold those cars for a C8, but that's about it. Poaching exotic owners is round-off error, just as were ZR1 sales (about 2500).

It's been demonstrated here with sales data over and over and over again, but the delusional in this group can't seem to grasp the fact that the market for $100K+, 2 seat sports cars is incredibly tiny. The market for ANY 2 seat sports car is already small enough at under $70K prices. It is an endangered species.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-13-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:54 PM
nailsinourbacks
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kratedisease
I have my KY Jelly lube ready for you. I just hope you are not afraid to bend over and receive.
Now we're having fun you silly salamander
Old 07-13-2019, 01:34 PM
nailsinourbacks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Foosh
Pulling folks from Ferrari, Lambo, and McLaren is of no interest to GM because there are too few of them. It might make a good testimonial to show off a couple of exotic owners who sold those cars for a C8, but that's about it. Poaching exotic owners is round-off error, just as were ZR1 sales (about 2500).

It's been demonstrated here with sales data over and over and over again, but the delusional in this group can't seem to grasp the fact that the market for $100K+, 2 seat sports cars is incredibly tiny. The market for ANY 2 seat sports car is already small enough at under $70K prices. It is an endangered species.
Let me throw some more viral camel **** on the fire.

Statista agrees, the market is compressing in volume and it also sees the Chevy market share compressing significantly over the next four years with prices increasing.

I still maintain it'll be $89,399 with 5% room up or down. Sights set on lower volume, more prestige, more cache, more ooooooo la la i.e. upmarket movement. Keep a void there with the 'Camaro' is disappearing B.S. and fill it ( a year later with a new Pony car competitor to the latest and greatest self-driving tech. GM listen to me, I know what I'm talking about - I took an online business class in high school.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:49 PM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

McLaren races to record sales and profits as expansion plan takes hold
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...an-takes-hold/

Last edited by ViperFan1; 07-13-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

LMAO, McLaren made a record profit of $82M, converting from the £65 million quoted in the article. That's round-off error in GM money, and they are a tiny company by comparison turning out a relatively small number of hand-built cars for the relatively small number of buyers there are for cars in that price bracket.

That's nice for them after losing a lot of money for several years trying to build street cars. McLaren is also heavily involved in Formula 1 racing.

And, you just very nicely illustrated how wrong you are. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-13-2019 at 05:11 PM.
kratedisease (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Received 2,088 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by nailsinourbacks
Let me throw some more viral camel **** on the fire.

Statista agrees, the market is compressing in volume and it also sees the Chevy market share compressing significantly over the next four years with prices increasing.

I still maintain it'll be $89,399 with 5% room up or down. Sights set on lower volume, more prestige, more cache, more ooooooo la la i.e. upmarket movement. Keep a void there with the 'Camaro' is disappearing B.S. and fill it ( a year later with a new Pony car competitor to the latest and greatest self-driving tech. GM listen to me, I know what I'm talking about - I took an online business class in high school.

I have to admit.... I am very impressed with the power point presentation.

You may have taken a online business class in high school, BUT my brother is the top building engineer at the facility where the C8 Corvette is being developed. ( Janitor)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:56 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

LMAO, McLaren made a record profit of $82M. That's round-off error in GM money.

Volume = Profit.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

The coming recession will surely accelerate the decline of new car sales.

My my left field comment of the day. Carry on...
The following 2 users liked this post by tcinla:
kratedisease (07-13-2019), lostsoul (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:40 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Remember this one?

The C7 ZR1 will start under 120k...

How many have you seen with an msrp of less than 130k? 140k is more like it.

A base 62k C8 will be 70k before freight with the basics and that's a 1LT... anyone thinking differently is kidding themselves.

And like others have said. Once the orders fly in the base is gonna jump 3 or 4k so the true base is probably 65 or 66k.. just my guess. I think they're expecting a 75k average msrp
Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Chevy has to price the base model around $65-$70k or this car is going to be a huge failure. They cant even sell C7Z's for $10-20k off MSRP. Chevy needs to understand its market and not try to out price 70% of its core fanbase.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:38 PM
blacheg
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm willing to bet its base MSRP will be starting at around 67,xxx but no more than $70k before options.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:52 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

I know for a FACT the the C8 Corvette will cost at least $2
Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 PM
nailsinourbacks
Intermediate

I have to admit.... I am very impressed with the power point presentation.

You may have taken a online business class in high school, BUT my brother is the top building engineer at the facility where the C8 Corvette is being developed. ( Janitor)
Hehehe well good Sir, I aim to please Those are some serious creds - don't let GM know, if the cat's outta the bag they may just cancel the whole thing, again.

Originally Posted by tcinla
The coming recession will surely accelerate the decline of new car sales.

My my left field comment of the day. Carry on...
You dirty little minx. You can't just stroke the shaft of conversation and walk away. For all the wacko s*** I'll post here to have fun with fellow car enthusiasts my day job involves CRE and I've been crystal balling for a few years now; come 2022 we're going to see a market correction. But you're using the word recession, which is exciting, and I want to hear more details. More! More! More! Please elaborate!

To the points of GM discounting the Z $10k off msrp and what not. To be fair, that's a sort of percentage discount factor I except on EVERY GM product ever, since the history of the dawn of the internet and knowledge sharing. Be it a Volt, Silverado, Sonic or Corvette. All cars purchased over the past 20 years in my family, all cars that have had significant 15-20% discount factors. So while I think it's important to know the market transaction of any specific Corvette model, the msrp baseline is what's going to be pushed on the brochure and website and that's where we typically start the conversation.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:07 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Hehehe well good Sir, I aim to please Those are some serious creds - don't let GM know, if the cat's outta the bag they may just cancel the whole thing, again.

You dirty little minx. You can't just stroke the shaft of conversation and walk away. For all the wacko s*** I'll post here to have fun with fellow car enthusiasts my day job involves CRE and I've been crystal balling for a few years now; come 2022 we're going to see a market correction. But you're using the word recession, which is exciting, and I want to hear more details. More! More! More! Please elaborate!

To the points of GM discounting the Z $10k off msrp and what not. To be fair, that's a sort of percentage discount factor I except on EVERY GM product ever, since the history of the dawn of the internet and knowledge sharing. Be it a Volt, Silverado, Sonic or Corvette. All cars purchased over the past 20 years in my family, all cars that have had significant 15-20% discount factors. So while I think it's important to know the market transaction of any specific Corvette model, the msrp baseline is what's going to be pushed on the brochure and website and that's where we typically start the conversation.

Is it normal that I find this forum more interesting than **** ?

I think that by joining this forum I have finally cured my **** addiction ......

Last edited by kratedisease; 07-13-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:48 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
80k base?

100k minimum base..

period. Edmonds said so, and many have hinted this and everyone is going to be angry. This isn't a 70 or 80k car SORRY.
No it’s not. It a $60k car.
JockItch (07-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Any >$80K Base MSRP Diehards out there?

Old 07-14-2019, 04:20 AM
nailsinourbacks
Intermediate

Is it normal that I find this forum more interesting than **** ?

I think that by joining this forum I have finally cured my **** addiction ......
Hahah! Look I sincerely hope the C8 comes in at $59k and every enthusiast on this site, present poster included, can enjoy that throat-ripping V8 together around a bbq during the HPDE mid-day break or at the local cars and coffee or just to admire the efforts of their hard work paid off in the garage for that matter. The Corvette should continue to be that dream, as much as I don't want it to be anything else, I think it will. I think that's where the world is heading. Into a hyper valuated market space where every silicon valley stud can pick and choose. Not saying it's right but that's where the money is and that's where the business opportunity lies. Or not; hell I've been wrong plenty of times before.

One of my favorite memories is a cruising at a healthy tic in a Jetstream Blue C6 GS with pops, Stones on the speakers, Cokes in hand on our way to Spring Mountain for a day at the track and a night in Vegas. It simply doesn't get better than that and I thank Chevy for providing the vehicle to have it happen. The forum speculation and s*** posting is a way to pass the time with like minded folks, air out the dirty laundry and play yahtzee pricing before the reality sets in. I agree - I'm addicted to watching and gambling on it. This is huge. This is the stuff we wait for in a lifetime! The Corvette is going to change, this is moon landing (well, no) big.

Last edited by nailsinourbacks; 07-14-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:16 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

The internet has changed the auto industry dramatically. What you are seeing on the online sites like CarGuru and TrueCar are dealer discounts, which will include rebates. The internet has enabled people to "visit" every dealership in their area for a particular car. Of course, at some point the prospect will have to finally put on their big boy pants and go to a dealership. The dealerships have to lowball each other to be the one they go to. This is the reason why when you get to a dealership, they have stuff like "appearance protection, vin etch, lifetime window tint, and all that stuff, because they have to discount the vehicle so far below invoice to grab your attention. It's too bad really, because this crap has driven the professionals out of the business. Salespeople are now just clerks, because the average customer is all about price shopping.

Of course, for this car, the only "discount" is going to be selling it for MSRP, without an ADM until supply catches up with demand.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Remember this one?

The C7 ZR1 will start under 120k...

How many have you seen with an msrp of less than 130k? 140k is more like it.

A base 62k C8 will be 70k before freight with the basics and that's a 1LT... anyone thinking differently is kidding themselves.

And like others have said. Once the orders fly in the base is gonna jump 3 or 4k so the true base is probably 65 or 66k.. just my guess. I think they're expecting a 75k average msrp
Remember also that only about 2500 ZR1s were built, which tells you all you need to about the demand for cars in that price bracket.

Yes, of course, a low 60's base price will average out considerably higher because of the popular options that will be ordered. The same was true of the mid 50's base price C7.

Quick Reply: Any >$80K Base MSRP Diehards out there?