Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

The problem I see with the rear isn’t that it’s ugly...it’s too Chevrolet

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The problem I see with the rear isn’t that it’s ugly...it’s too Chevrolet

Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 AM
I brake for nothing
CF Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Not necessarily. Didnít Chevy just immediately change the front end of the brand new Camaro due to the significant amount of negative feedback? The vast majority of comments so far all over the net have been about how ugly this rear end is.
We tried that with the C7. They didnt care. The rear end of the C7 could go down in history as one of the worst ever designed. I hope the same guy does not have his crayons out on the C8 project.
The following 3 users liked this post by I brake for nothing:
ArmchairArchitect (07-09-2019), mammoth713 (07-09-2019), NytmereZ (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 AM
kozmic
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 311 Likes on 143 Posts

Why do people keep starting the same threads that previously get locked?

I think “because, narcissism”.

IBTL !
The following users liked this post:
JockItch (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Houston Z33
CF Senior Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland View Post
Looks awesome to me. But I think I'm the demographic. I like C7 more than previous generations, I love the 6th gen camaro, and I really like mid engined exotics (just don't have the wallet for them).

To be fair its pretty tough to judge car design by photos alone, let alone a singular picture from an angle like that. Wish the internet would take a huge beat and wait before we've actually seen it, in person, before going all chicken little on the car.

It's also supposed to be a 60k car. Judging it against cars that cost 5 times that isn't really fair. It's a lot harder to do design work when you don't have the same materials and cost structure at the differing price points.
I just want to co-sign on this post......hits the nail on the head - Chevy wants new blood to come to Corvette, I'm also one of them.

Before 01/01/13 you would have never heard me say "I want to own an American Car" but the C7 brought me to GM, I love Chevys and Caddys now and I aspire to own one.

Before the C7 I was a huge import guy (RX-7, 240SX, 350/370Z, etc) and I dipped my toes in European waters (BMW Z4) - The C8 is looking just fine from here as well.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Oneslackr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio View Post
Iím 33 and I guess am part of Chevys new target market. I bought my c6 in 2009 new and loved the classic look of the vette and round tail lights. When the C7 came out I liked the front of the car minus the chrome bar in the mouth but hated everything about the rear and new tail lights. Thus I never decided to upgrade. That said, when the C7 Z06 came out in 2015 I saw a shark gray in person and loved everything about it. The wide body, clear tail lights which were spread out wider just slightly and new front grill made it look so much better IMO. I unfortunately lost my c6 a few months ago in a freak flood accident in my buildings garage but am pleased to say that I now own a shark gray C7 Z06 and love everything about it. Although I miss the round tail lights, I do like the clear ones on my Z and think they look great with the overall car.

Regarding the c8, I am sharing the view of most here and not digging the rear again at all. Although I am used to new tail lights itís more the busy cheap design that I donít like, but again have to see it in person and I would bet the wide body version will look better. This is certainly a more drastic change going from a FE to ME car but I say letís wait for the reveal and give it some time...
Old 07-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Glenn Quagmire
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 380 Likes on 201 Posts

People are funny.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:48 AM
txapezl1
CF Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

My .03 cents. Not feeling it, but I do notice how the rear fenders have a nice swoop/curve to them, so the side profile might look pretty nice. I'm trying to figure out the rear end still. Every time I see it, I'm like...............hmmmmmmmmmmmm, what.........nah, can't be. But, whatever. The exhaust tips or freaking hideous. I'm assuming this is the base model, so it's whatever to me. If I did pull the trigger on one, it will be the Z06 or ZR1 or whatever top end Vette will be. I'm 42. I look back at the C7 and C6 and every time I see a C6 Z06 or ZR1, I can't stop looking. Still the best looking Vette to me. But, anyhow. Whatever. We will see what it looks like here in a week or so.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:54 AM
68roadster
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

This car is being made by...……………………... Chevrolet. I like it better than the C7 rear.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:04 PM
jefnvk
CF Senior Member

Received 608 Likes on 374 Posts

Its a Chevy. Anyone that thinks your flagship car shouldn't scream CHEVY doesn't quite understand how branding works.

Originally Posted by Sin City View Post
Overdone and over angular. Its like someone had a love affair with 7 year old Lambos.
Versus the C5/6 that looked like it was designed by the same people that came up with the late 90's Ford Taurus? I'll take angular every day.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Speednet
CF Senior Member

Received 344 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Its a Chevy. Anyone that thinks your flagship car shouldn't scream CHEVY doesn't quite understand how branding works.
Exactly. If the C8 resembles a Camaro (which I do not necessarily agree with), that is certainly much better than the Porsche 911 Turbo S, which resembles the Porsche Macan -- a cheap SUV. You want to talk about having a car having pathetic family resemblances!
Foosh (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 190 Posts

Looks awesome to me. But I think I'm the demographic. I like C7 more than previous generations, I love the 6th gen camaro, and I really like mid engined exotics (just don't have the wallet for them).

To be fair its pretty tough to judge car design by photos alone, let alone a singular picture from an angle like that. Wish the internet would take a huge beat and wait before we've actually seen it, in person, before going all chicken little on the car.

It's also supposed to be a 60k car. Judging it against cars that cost 5 times that isn't really fair. It's a lot harder to do design work when you don't have the same materials and cost structure at the differing price points.
There is no specific demographic. I'm young. I can afford it. I love Ferraris and Lambos, but the C7 was not a good design and the current Camaro is one of the most pathetic looking cars on the road. Sure some like it and more power to them for it. But, the front is boring, and love or hate the rear of the C7, it does look like a Camaro and more importantly has no design cues from any previous generation of Corvette. The C8 makes many of the same mistakes and even adds to them in that it looks like a Chevy. Corvettes have never looked like other cars in the Chevy lineup. Sure, at times one or two styling cues were a bit similar but few enough that the car is distinctly Corvette. Even the 70' Corvette with similar taillights to a 70' Camaro is easy to distinguish at night as a Vette. A C4, a C5, or C6 could be spotted from literally a mile away as a Corvette. The C7 couldn't say that, and it's looking like the C8 can't either.

At the end of the day the car won't look as bad as we all think it does right now, but that doesn't make it look good, it just makes it look less bad.

Anyway, I digress...Tadge deserves to be fired. Round tail lights need to return, and for god's sake give us a low pointy front end again.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 07-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Atari_Prime:
ArmchairArchitect (07-09-2019), StanleyTTU (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Speednet
CF Senior Member

Received 344 Likes on 186 Posts

Great post, thanks. Agree 100%.
Jeffthunbird (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:19 PM
boraxman
CF Senior Member

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Holding judgement til after the reveal.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Received 8,265 Likes on 4,484 Posts

Originally Posted by I brake for nothing View Post
We tried that with the C7. They didnt care. The rear end of the C7 could go down in history as one of the worst ever designed. I hope the same guy does not have his crayons out on the C8 project.
Wrong, the C7 rear wasn't re-designed because the majority grew to love it, and the C7 rear-end haters were in the distinct minority after it started arriving. Before the C7 reveal, they dominated the discussion, then faded away except for a strident few, who remain to this day. I think the same thing will happen with the new car, when viewed as a whole.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-09-2019 at 12:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Jeffthunbird (07-09-2019), Laguna Fred (07-10-2019), Speednet (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:47 PM
roadking40
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Please NO! IMO, There are so many angles, shapes, lines, recesses going on... Little flow, not integrated, CHEAP, over designed. Reminds me of the back of a Civic Si with all the goofy-*** shapes. A Mustang GT500 or even a Hellcat doesn't look this "mental" like these shots do. I am holding out judgement until I can see one in person and hoping this is a BS picture.
ArmchairArchitect (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Edwardz
CF Senior Member

Received 94 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 68roadster View Post
This car is being made by...ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ... Chevrolet. I like it better than the C7 rear.
I love the look. It also is the view most other cars will be seeing! They really hit it out of the ballpark from what I can tell. The convertible rendering is awesome!!! Hope I can survive the wait. I love my Z06/07 but my eyes are wandering. Itís a great time to be a Corvette lover.
Jeffthunbird (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 PM
Jeffthunbird
CF Senior Member

Received 260 Likes on 139 Posts

The C8 rear looks awesome! It ties the C7 and the rest of the Chevys together like a family. Thatís the goal. If it looked like a Ferrari, it would fit into the product line. After all, itís a Chevy, albeit an incredible machine.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:16 PM
JC7
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

c7's back makes no sense to you.

As a first time corvette buyer it was partly what drew me to the design of c7. I love the tail lights, all the creases, and the cooling paths that exit near the tail lights. Looks fantastic to me.
The C7 looks outstanfing a very HOT looking Vette C8 rear looks so bland and really cheap looking!
Old 07-10-2019, 01:20 PM
SkyView
CF Senior Member

Received 112 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JC7 View Post
The C7 looks outstanfing a very HOT looking Vette C8 rear looks so bland and really cheap looking!
I agree the problem that I see with the c8s Rear is that it’s poorly integrated. None of the many shapes back there flow together well. It’s like a styling hodgepodge. It’s not nearly as clean looking of a design as C7 is.

Last edited by SkyView; 07-10-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:44 PM
JockItch
CF Senior Member

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post

Versus the C5/6 that looked like it was designed by the same people that came up with the late 90's Ford Taurus? I'll take angular every day.
It should be trendsetting the style direction of the brand as the halo car then... not copying the style of already released, lower end cars in the lineup.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Received 2,782 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I still stand by my disappointment that it's a blatantly corporate design (my long thread was locked), but after a few days to digest it... it's tolerable. Given how ugly the C7 rear presents in pictures (but looks good in person) I am holding out hope... plus, the C8 rear is extremely convex.. look at the rear edge of the hatch. That's got tons of curve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The problem I see with the rear isn’t that it’s ugly...it’s too Chevrolet

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: