Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you forego the Z51 package for a non-tracked Convertible?

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you forego the Z51 package for a non-tracked Convertible?

 
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 AM
  #1  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 7,801
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Default Would you forego the Z51 package for a non-tracked Convertible?

I've had 4 C5s (2 Z06s, one vert, one coupe) and a Z51 C7 coupe. I have tracked all of them except the vert C5 (auto-crossed it once though). One of my C5s was a full caged racecar and the C7 was being setup as a Time Trial car before I pulled the plug and decided to sell it and go all-in for a C8.

I want a convertible this time... love the hard top vert. The car may or may not be HPDE legal depending on which run group, but I'm not buying the car for that purpose. The car will be a nice weather DD and road trip car. If it's HPDE legal I'll instruct at VIR a few times a year, but not competition use.

Ideally I'd get a Z51 convertible... but so far, I hate the spoiler enough to consider foregoing the Z51. I know it's early and we don't know exact details, but assume content will be similar to the C7 Z51 vs. base.

What would you do?

I'm considering getting:

Blade silver
Adrenaline Red interior
Red calipers
Performance exhaust
1LT

or

Rapid Blue (assuming it's similar to my avatar)
Grey interior
Red calipers
Performance exhuast
1LT

The other option is to take those two add Z51... and then whether or not I want comp seats. And... if like the C7, to get comp seats in something other than black you have to get into a 2LT. So end of the day do you get the basic vert 1LT or the 2LT Z51... probably a $10K MSRP spread between the two.

The car's rear looks so much sleeker sans spoiler... and I'm a C5 guy so I love the look with nothing back there. A plant contact tells me there's no "Z51 spoiler delete option coming".




Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 AM
  #2  
vndkshn
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: North Texas
Posts: 722
Received 406 Likes on 235 Posts
Default

Or get the Z51 and have the spoiler removed by a good bodyshop. Sucks, but why not get exactly what you want?
vndkshn is offline  
The following users liked this post:
smoove7410 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 AM
  #3  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 7,801
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
Or get the Z51 and have the spoiler removed by a good bodyshop. Sucks, but why not get exactly what you want?
Because after working on my C7 a bunch I want nothing to do with taking the rear off a brand new C8 and having the panel painted/filled. I'm sure it will snap on like the C7 which is a PITA to deal with. Every time you take it apart the female slots get a little looser. In the worst cases the female side bracket that was fusion welded to the fascia broke free... then you couldn't put the bumper back on. The C7 was clearly designed to be as easy as possible to put together on the production line the first time.

Last edited by Tool Hoarder; 07-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 AM
  #4  
WalterSobchak
CF Senior Member
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: N.E. Suburb MN
Posts: 566
Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Both are good choices! Normally I'd say silver, but I really like that blue personally. I'm getting Black on Black (like most of my cars)so I'm boring, but I might be a vert in a year or so also to make the other half happy and get a fun color. I would consider the blue. I'm not a vert guy but I love the renderings on the vert and if they surprise us they come out simultaneously I might be tempted on one to start.
WalterSobchak is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 AM
  #5  
TRANS DAMM
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 1,354
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
Because after worknig on my C7 a bunch I want nothing to do with taking the rear off a brand new C8 and having the panel painted/filled. I'm sure it will snap on like the C7 which is a PITA to deal with. Every time you take it apart the female slots get a little looser. In the worst cases the female side bracket that was fusion welded to the fascia broke free... then you couldn't put the bumper back on. The C7 was clearly designed to be as easy as possible to put together on the production line the first time.
I took the nose off a c7 and the rear bumper multiple times and never had any of that happen.
TRANS DAMM is online now  
The following users liked this post:
LuisZ51 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:56 AM
  #6  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 7,801
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM View Post
I took the nose off a c7 and the rear bumper multiple times and never had any of that happen.
My 2014 snapped a tab on the front fascia and broke multiple tabs on the rear. I have every trim tool known to man and was being careful. You can search the C7 forums... I wasnít alone. Plus every time you take out the tail light bezels the little nubs on the fascia wear a little more and more.

Last edited by Tool Hoarder; 07-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:03 PM
  #7  
B-Myster
CF Senior Member
 
B-Myster's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,816
Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

I'd go Z51 for the better handling and see what the options are for either factory or aftermarket spoiler. Maybe they'll have an active spoiler as an option as part of the Z51 package. I like blue, but the silver with red interior is a classy combo.
B-Myster is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 PM
  #8  
tcinla
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
tcinla's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 1,712
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

I'm partial to silver/red combos. Especially darker reds (spice)
tcinla is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:43 PM
  #9  
RJ-92
CF Senior Member
 
RJ-92's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 13,181
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

I would skip the z51 if you're not going to be tracking the car.
RJ-92 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Corgidog1 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:54 PM
  #10  
68roadster
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
68roadster's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: Louisville, TN,
Posts: 6,623
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RJ-92 View Post
I would skip the z51 if you're not going to be tracking the car.
I tend to agree, especially if there is no style/visual deal breaker in what they will be.
68roadster is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:54 PM
  #11  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 7,801
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RJ-92 View Post
I would skip the z51 if you're not going to be tracking the car.
That's what I'm thinking, but I've never owned a truly base car. My C5 vert and coupe were Z51s as well.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:37 PM
  #12  
BIG Dave
CF Senior Member
 
BIG Dave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: One Hour From Boston!
Posts: 2,557
Received 290 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

Two things:

Iíve I remember correctly, many people here on the CF didnít like the rear spoiler on the C7 when it was first shown. Now I never hear anyone complaining about it. In fact, I rarely see a C7 without it. Maybe the rear spoiler will grow on you?

Second, perhaps Iím mistaken, but doesnít the Z51 have larger brakes (maybe just the rotors are larger)? When I was in the showroom purchasing my 2014, I recall looking at a Z51 C7 and a non-Z51 C7 and I thought the Z51 C7 had larger brakes...
BIG Dave is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 PM
  #13  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 7,801
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BIG Dave View Post
Two things:

I’ve I remember correctly, many people here on the CF didn’t like the rear spoiler on the C7 when it was first shown. Now I never hear anyone complaining about it. In fact, I rarely see a C7 without it. Maybe the rear spoiler will grow on you?

Second, perhaps I’m mistaken, but doesn’t the Z51 have larger brakes (maybe just the rotors are larger)? When I was in the showroom purchasing my 2014, I recall looking at a Z51 C7 and a non-Z51 C7 and I thought the Z51 C7 had larger brakes...
I never liked the spoiler on my C7, I tolerated it. My original plan was to get a Z51 then take the spoiler off and fill the holes. However, the car I bought already had aftermarket side skirts installed (removing leaves a bunch of exposed holes) and skirts look very odd w/o a front lip and spoiler.

Yes, the Z51 had larger rotors. The brake pads are the same, but the calipers are different part numbers because the mount ears are longer to fit the larger diameter rotor. They do look better, but real world performance in a street application is moot.

Last edited by Tool Hoarder; 07-10-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 PM
  #14  
pietro c7
CF Senior Member
 
pietro c7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 1,230
Likes: 0
Received 412 Likes on 249 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
I've had 4 C5s (2 Z06s, one vert, one coupe) and a Z51 C7 coupe. I have tracked all of them except the vert C5 (auto-crossed it once though). One of my C5s was a full caged racecar and the C7 was being setup as a Time Trial car before I pulled the plug and decided to sell it and go all-in for a C8.

I want a convertible this time... love the hard top vert. The car may or may not be HPDE legal depending on which run group, but I'm not buying the car for that purpose. The car will be a nice weather DD and road trip car. If it's HPDE legal I'll instruct at VIR a few times a year, but not competition use.

Ideally I'd get a Z51 convertible... but so far, I hate the spoiler enough to consider foregoing the Z51. I know it's early and we don't know exact details, but assume content will be similar to the C7 Z51 vs. base.

What would you do?

I'm considering getting:

Blade silver
Adrenaline Red interior
Red calipers
Performance exhaust
1LT

or

Rapid Blue (assuming it's similar to my avatar)
Grey interior
Red calipers
Performance exhuast
1LT

The other option is to take those two add Z51... and then whether or not I want comp seats. And... if like the C7, to get comp seats in something other than black you have to get into a 2LT. So end of the day do you get the basic vert 1LT or the 2LT Z51... probably a $10K MSRP spread between the two.

The car's rear looks so much sleeker sans spoiler... and I'm a C5 guy so I love the look with nothing back there. A plant contact tells me there's no "Z51 spoiler delete option coming".



I had the exact same dilemma as you with the C7...
I had my dealers 1st allocation ,and I changed my mind
6 times on my order...back and forth with Z51 or non Z51.
A Z51 was supposed to be a no-brainer for me(At the time I had over 800 laps of tracking/racing experience scattered in 15 years...and at least a blown pension fund...)
At the end I chose the look that I wanted,the clean lines of the base car and non tacked on spoiler...I couldnít deal with that spoiler.
I was always a fan of smaller wheels and the sleeper look.
From a race track perspective my base car has only one draw back versus the Z51,and thatís the front suspension ...floaty with pathetic rebound and often bottoms out...You feel every pound of that engine over your front wheels...I modified my lines and braking points and got absolute pleasure at all my track days ...rain or shine the car was on rails ,and thatís with street tires.
I donít think this front suspension issue applies for the mid engine C8 being the engine is where it is...

Iím getting the base C8,regardless of transmission offered...the rear spoiler is a no go for me.

Good luck choosing
pietro c7 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Tool Hoarder (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 03:25 PM
  #15  
rcooper
CF Senior Member
 
rcooper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 4,493
Received 512 Likes on 385 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default

I have had the Z51 in years past, or the equivalent. In my 2015 I passed and got the 2lt and a couple of other items for a highway cruiser
I don''t track the cars but will drive them pretty hard on some of the back twisties in our area. Never crossing the center line but often hitting red line in 1 and 2. I added the Z51 performance upgrade as the larger sway bar is a good thing, and not having one in the back was rather unnerving when I first drove it hard.
If I can afford a vert I will get a 2lt maybe 3 lt and use it as a cruiser.
I am hoping that they have a better spoiler option come order time.
Plus, I am hoping that the C8 is as good a car as the C7 has been. 60,000 miles and never in the shop for anything other than a new seat cover....and oil changes.
rcooper is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:21 PM
  #16  
vndkshn
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: North Texas
Posts: 722
Received 406 Likes on 235 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
Because after working on my C7 a bunch I want nothing to do with taking the rear off a brand new C8 and having the panel painted/filled. I'm sure it will snap on like the C7 which is a PITA to deal with. Every time you take it apart the female slots get a little looser. In the worst cases the female side bracket that was fusion welded to the fascia broke free... then you couldn't put the bumper back on. The C7 was clearly designed to be as easy as possible to put together on the production line the first time.
Note I said: "have the spoiler removed by a good bodyshop." Then they can worry about the slots and brackets and fusion welds.

I'd have no issues taking it to the shop I take my vehicles to for body work. Everytime I'm there I see Ferraris, Lamborghinis, McLarens, etc.. and they aren't as expensive as you would think given that type of clientele. If I wanted to have it removed, I'm sure it would be less than $1k to have them do it and you'd never know it was originally there.
vndkshn is offline  
The following users liked this post:
smoove7410 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM
  #17  
Corgidog1
CF Senior Member
 
Corgidog1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,802
Received 1,289 Likes on 837 Posts
Default

Yes-a no brainer for me as I only drive verts for my toys.

The only thing I care about in the Z51 package for my street driving is the performance gear ratios.

Last edited by Corgidog1; 07-11-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Corgidog1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Tool Hoarder (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 AM
  #18  
BigF6B
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2019
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z51 or non Z51

Im thinking a non Z51 car...I do not plan to track the car. And I like the Blade Silver paint..We really don't know what GM will get for the Convertible option yet..but it would be nice to have that option here in Florida, especially during the cooler winter months. It's all moot until I find out what the C8s going to cost after the reveal..I may be looking for a nice C7.
BigF6B is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM
  #19  
Luke42_02
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 465
Received 194 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default

You probably donít need Z51 if you are not tracking. But hear this! A base C7 will absolutely melt down on track within a few laps. It is not usable at all. If you are going to track it once in itís life, get the Z51
Luke42_02 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:40 AM
  #20  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 7,801
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Luke42_02 View Post
You probably don’t need Z51 if you are not tracking. But hear this! A base C7 will absolutely melt down on track within a few laps. It is not usable at all. If you are going to track it once in it’s life, get the Z51
Yeah a local buddy is stubbornly making his base C7 A8 into a "trackday car". The stock radiator was half the thickness of the Z51/Z06 radiator. He put a dewitts radiator in it and the LG trans pan and it does OK for his driving level.

Part of me would rather get the Z51 and deal with the spoiler vs. get the base car and then regret not getting the Z51 stuff.

EDIT - They're clearly testing the base car on the ring... maybe the the base car will be more capable than the base C7.

Last edited by Tool Hoarder; 07-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Luke42_02 (07-11-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you forego the Z51 package for a non-tracked Convertible?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: