Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes people, the Corvette will look similar to the Camaro, in subtle ways, ok?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

The top of the line car should set the design standard, not follow that of a lesser model.
The following 4 users liked this post by tuxnharley:
LuisZ51 (07-11-2019), ojm (07-11-2019), Stingray23 (07-11-2019), WICKEDFRC (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:05 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by StanleyTTU
Of course there will be crossover - it just seems a bit excessive this time around. Perhaps itll look better at the reveal and this is all much ado about nothing.
If anything the 6th generation Camaro's rear drew inspiration from the C7 Corvette, which the C8 seems to continue the evolution.

2014 Camaro:

2014 Corvette:

2016 Camaro:
The following users liked this post:
Speednet (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The Dunning-Kruger effect is on full display here. Stop and ask yourselves why every freaking automaker on the planet does the same thing. The answer is not that they are all stupid and you are smart.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Rapid Fred (07-11-2019), Speednet (07-11-2019), tcinla (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Maybe this will help:

Design standard for Porsche: 911 (halo car)
- Lesser model drawing from aspects of halo car: Macan

Design standard for Chevrolet: Corvette (halo car)
- Lesser model drawing from aspects of halo car: Camaro

In the case of the C8, it appears that the design standard has flipped to the lesser car, rather than the C8 being the base from which the Camaro gets inspiration.

Of course there will be crossover - it just seems a bit excessive this time around. Perhaps itll look better at the reveal and this is all much ado about nothing.
Huh? You sound confused. You seem to be saying that the Porsche 911 Turbo S has remained the same since its beginning, whereas every time the Corvette goes through a refresh it is a different car. I think I'll just leave it at that and stop debating someone who clearly is not working with a full set of tools.

Last edited by Speednet; 07-11-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Fixed apostrophe
Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 PM
StanleyTTU
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
If anything the 6th generation Camaro's rear drew inspiration from the C7 Corvette, which the C8 seems to continue the evolution.

I don't disagree with regard to the tail lights. I do think they've gone a bit further (based on the leaked photo) though and carried over the same trapezoidal shapes and angles present on the rest of the lower cars now too, though. I understand the motive, and I'm sure the branding works to solidify people to recognize it as a Chevy. I just don't particularly care for it, especially when I think the current design language is pretty poor.

Originally Posted by Speednet
Huh? You sound confused. You seem to be saying that the Porsche 911 Turbo S has remained the same since it's beginning, whereas every time the Corvette goes through a refresh it is a different car. I think I'll just leave it at that and stop debating someone who clearly is not working with a full set of tools.
I never said that it had remained the same, just that the Macan borrowed elements from the 911 as the 911 was the established flagship model and therefore was carrying the brand design strategy that all the other models after it have been adapting to. If the 911 were to change dramatically, likely the lower models would begin to adapt to match the new 911. If the Macan were to change dramatically, the 911 would not adapt to the Macan.

I don't see the need for you to start personally attacking me over this. I'm content that you don't see what I do. In fact I am a bit envious.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-11-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Merged Posts - Please use the Multi Quote button to respond to multiple people in a single response.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

I think the other thing people fail to realize is that the ME Corvette has been in development for nearly a decade at this point. The design language for the C8 was probably decided sometime after the reveal of the C7 and GM has had an idea of what it would look like for quite some time. The fact that other models in GM's lineup have received refreshes that have similar design language to the leaked rear end of the C8 is probably exactly how they ended up having similarities. It is easy enough to bolt on new looking bumpers to an already established car to look like the flagship, while that C8 needed quite a bit more development time to come out.

Of course the whiners will say that due to the C8 coming out after cars that GM has released refreshes of, it takes styling cues from the "lesser" cars. The reality is likely the reverse, which means that the established styling of the C8 influenced the refreshes to keep a brand identity.

Just my 2 cents.
Rapid Fred (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:15 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

... And yet people, by the 10's of thousands, still buy these 'copies'.... Why can't the be like those of you who frown on such transgressions of the senses?

I wonder how many C6 people who complained about the tail lights stayed true to their rage and never went to a C7?

Last edited by tcinla; 07-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:18 PM
StanleyTTU
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Supermassive, I think you may be totally right.

I just wish we could get out of the corporately mandated brand identity days and let the designers be more creative.
Stingray23 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
... And yet people, by the 10's of thousands, still buy these 'copies'.... Why can't the be like those of you who frown on such transgressions of the senses?

I wonder how many C6 people who complained about the tail lights stayed true to their rage and never went to a C7?

At least one - me! Of course I never liked the entire C7 rear end, not just the tail lights........
Old 07-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

I never said that it had remained the same, just that the Macan borrowed elements from the 911 as the 911 was the established flagship model and therefore was carrying the brand design strategy that all the other models after it have been adapting to. If the 911 were to change dramatically, likely the lower models would begin to adapt to match the new 911. If the Macan were to change dramatically, the 911 would not adapt to the Macan.

I don't see the need for you to start personally attacking me over this. I'm content that you don't see what I do. In fact I am a bit envious.

He's really good at that. Ask other members.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

OK, first of all, don't you guys have ANYTHING MORE to discuss than this overdone topic of the tail of the C8???? Seriously.....

Second, there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED for Hitler photos/comments on CorvetteForum.....absolutely none.

Quick Reply: Yes people, the Corvette will look similar to the Camaro, in subtle ways, ok?