Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual clutch concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
"Back in my days, I had to walk to school in 10 feet of snow bare feet to go to school"

This is what this thread is turning into. I never see a group of individuals so resistant to change. Cars are getting to the point where they need all the nannies in order to keep on the car on the road/track. For every owner who knows what they are doing, there is a thousand who has no clue. To expect "The casual" to comply to your ideal of what a "real driver" should be is ridiculous. DCT is a positive change for the vehicle. I don't know how anyone would see this has a negative. This is coming form a M7 owner. I am not ashamed to say that I use the Rev Match option all the time. It's not that I don't know how to do it, it just more convenient to let the care do it.

If I buy a C8, I won't care if it has a DCT. I will embrace that change because I know that transmission is going to be faster and more efficient that I could ever be with a shift stick and 3 pedals. The stigma that Corvette is an old man car is not something that is going to go away with thread like this. It only amplifies that the car requires a "rejuvenation" because soon all the current Corvette owner will be dead there will be nobody left to buy the car.
No, no, no. It has NOTHING to do with resistance to change. It has to do with, if I had my choice what would I prefer. I've purchased DCT cars. I was an early adopter of DCT. I fully recognize and embrace the advantages of DCT. I just don't get any additional enjoyment out of flipping paddles. I end up just leaving them in auto mode.

You TOTALLY missed the point.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-15-2019 at 01:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Boiler_81 (07-16-2019), rigelkentaurus (07-20-2019), vndkshn (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No, no, no. It has NOTHING to do with resistance to change. It has to do with, if I had my choice what would I prefer. I've purchased DCT cars. I was an early adopter of DCT. I just don't enjoy it as much.
No one has driven ( besides GM engineer) the C8 DCT. We have no idea of it's performance. You know that all DCT are not created the same and today's transmission rely heavily on software. Maybe GM knock it out of the park, maybe it's a lemon. To make a judgement on the DCT transmission at this moment in time is pointless.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I have a hell of a lot of time in the PDK, and there's no way GM is going to surpass what Porsche has done with that trannie. They've spent years refining it. It is fantastic, but boring to me. Thus, GM can knock it out of the park, and it will still be boring to many. It has nothing to do with resistance to change.

I'm a pilot. If I want to have fun in an airplane, I want something that is very aerobatic and that I have to totally hand-fly. For a trip, I'd want a different airplane with all the latest advanced tech. It's kinda like that.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-15-2019 at 01:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FringbirdAloha (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:31 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

No, no, no. It has NOTHING to do with resistance to change. It has to do with, if I had my choice what would I prefer. I've purchased DCT cars. I was an early adopter of DCT. I fully recognize and embrace the advantages of DCT. I just don't get any additional enjoyment out of flipping paddles. I end up just leaving them in auto mode.

Couldn't agree more. I'm puzzled by posters who try to convince those who prefer MTs over DCTs, that DCTs are just as much fun to drive as MTs. No doubt for many they are, but for a substantial minority of drivers, DCTs are boring to drive and it has nothing to do with resistance to change.
The following 3 users liked this post by sly1:
Boiler_81 (07-16-2019), Foosh (07-15-2019), rigelkentaurus (07-20-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:34 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by sly1
Couldn't agree more. I'm puzzled by posters who try to convince those who prefer MTs over DCTs, that DCTs are just as much fun to drive as MTs. No doubt for many they are, but for a substantial minority of drivers, DCTs are boring to drive and it has nothing to do with resistance to change.
I'm also puzzled by their total lack of ability to understand it has NOTHING to do with being resistant to change. Invariably, they bring up hand starting the engine or roll up windows to try and draw an analogy.
The following 3 users liked this post by vndkshn:
Boiler_81 (07-16-2019), rigelkentaurus (07-20-2019), ToddC7 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Originally Posted by vndkshn
I'm also puzzled by their total lack of ability to understand it has NOTHING to do with being resistant to change. Invariably, they bring up hand starting the engine or roll up windows to try and draw an analogy.
I know I haven't post as much but I've been reading this forum for a long time. I've seen post about the headlights not being round label as "preferences" instead of resistant to change. There is thin line between the two. I think this is threaded towards resistant to change than preferences. I get that from car guys all the time. I went to BMW car club event this weekend and the first thing people ask was "I hope this is a M7" like it makes the car more "sports". That's a old school mentality that older generation keeps holding too :" I'm a real man, therefore I have a 3 pedals car".

Most of the car I have driven in my adult life were manual transmission. Having 3 pedals does not make the car "more fun" to me. This is a daily driver. Fortunately, I don't have a huge amount of traffic in the morning but if that was the case, I would have ditch that M7 a long time ago. The A10 in the C7 is faster and more efficient transmission that I ever will be. I expect the DCT to be the same. The fact that not 1 person who has driven the C8 (at least they are not telling) makes any discussion about the DCT equipped C8 just pure speculation, Maybe it will be the best thing since the PDK or it will a typical GM transmission which will be serviceable at best. Either way, it will be the only option available at launch.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

No point in discussing it further. We completely disagree on all points. It's perfectly fine to express your preferences, but don't project them on others and contrive fallacious theories like "inability to accept change" to explain why everyone doesn't share your preference. That's just dumb.

BTW, there is no A10 in the C7.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-15-2019 at 02:16 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Foosh:
bgspot (07-16-2019), rigelkentaurus (07-20-2019), sly1 (07-15-2019), ToddC7 (07-15-2019), vndkshn (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

No point in discussing it further. We completely disagree on all points. It's perfectly fine to express your preferences, but don't project them on others and contrive fallacious theories like "inability to accept change" to explain why everyone doesn't share your preference. That's just dumb.

BTW, there is no A10 in the C7.
Eloquent and understandable. I think the problem is how many folks on the extremes of one side project "old-fart-itis" on the "I wish there were a M7 on the C8" gang, while many on the other end seem to think a PDK makes those who might prefer and, gasp, ENJOY super-quick and responsive clutch-pedal-less shifting somehow wimpy.

It then gets compounded by technical "purists." Assuming a PDK (or even a well-sorted "instant lock up" TC deal) you really have to think of this tranny as a "hybrid." It will have fully-automatic capability of course, but will likely have responsiveness, control, and feel unlike any slushbox most all of us are used to.

It bears repeating who GM might be targeting with this move. I have not owned an automatic tranny car in nearly 4 decades. My C7 has a wonderful and easy to use M7 and I love it.

And yet, I am really excited and interested in how the C8 tranny works and feels. I think I will love it (although I'm sticking with the C7 for at least 4 more years...) And I think it will definitely add more to the fold than it loses (which has got to be what they have studied and are betting on).

3 more days

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 07-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rapid Fred:
ByByBMW (07-15-2019), Foosh (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 03:51 PM
darkhorsevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DCT is the proper transmission... anything else would be a insult to a mid engine car... the C7 should’ve been a DCT....
Old 07-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Thanks Fred,

And my posts on this subject have consistently pointed out yet another complication. I am a person who fully "embraced change" to the extent that I chose to purchase a 2008 DCT E93 M3 over the available manual. I fully expected to love it, and did initially, but later found myself bored. I was OK with that because I had a Lotus Elise, which only was offered as a manual, as my fun car, and I found myself enjoying driving it much more.

Later, I fell head over heels with the F-Type as soon as it debuted and purchased it, which wasn't available as a manual at the time. It had a beautifully-tuned ZF8, which was almost universally praised as the equal of the PDK. I found that to be true, because I was storing a friend's 911 in my heated barn at the time, and he asked me to drive it routinely. That gave me a lot of time to compare the two back-to-back, and I found them basically equal in terms of performance and smoothness. But, the boredom quickly returned.

My cure was to purchase a C7 M7, and I've been happy ever since. So, to those long-time, manual purists, who believe you'll be happy as long as GM succeeds with a DCT equal to the PDK, maybe you will be, at least initially until the novelty wears off. I hope so for your sake, it's more long-lasting. However, don't be surprised if you're one of those that comes down with a case of boredom like I have twice now.

Originally Posted by darkhorsevette
DCT is the proper transmission... anything else would be a insult to a mid engine car... the C7 should’ve been a DCT....
You mean like the insult to the new 2020 Porsche Cayman/Spyder GT4, which is getting rave reviews and is only available as a manual? Porsche designed this as a light, minimalist sports car, and is building it for now exclusively as manual because of the weight savings.

Based upon what I expect to see with the C8, I'm feeling fairly certain a GT4 is in my future.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-15-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Thanks Fred,

And my posts on this subject have consistently pointed out yet another complication. I am a person who "fully embraced change" to the extent that I chose to purchase a 2008 DCT E93 M3 over the available manual. I fully expected to love it, and did initially, but later found myself bored. I was OK with that because I had a Lotus Elise, which only was offered as a manual, as my fun car, and I found myself enjoying driving it much more.

Later, I fell head over heels with the F-Type as soon as it debuted and purchased it, which wasn't available as a manual at the time. It had a beautifully-tuned ZF8, which was almost universally praised as the equal of the PDK. I found that to be true, because I was storing a friend's 911 in my heated barn at the time, and he asked me to drive it routinely. That gave me a lot of time to compare the two back-to-back, and I found them basically equal in terms of performance and smoothness. But, the boredom quickly returned.

My cure was to purchase a C7 M7, and I've been happy ever since. So, to those former manual purists who believe you'll be happy as long as GM succeeds with a DCT equal to the PDK, maybe you will be. I hope so for your sake. However, don't be surprised if you're one of those that comes down with a case of boredom like I have twice now.
So I put you in the wrong category. I apologize for that. There is a lot of forum users who never even tried a DCT before that are on the Manual or nothing. If you believe that having 3 pedals makes it more fun for you , I am sad to say that you will have to stick with your C7 for a while.

I am in the camp of " I don't really care". I love my M7 but I would be happy with the automatic just as much. It doesn't make or break the car for me. Studies has shown that less and less car buyer even know how to drive manual anymore. Heck, even the latest generation don't have the same interest in car as the previous generation. I know people are holding on to the dream the Z06 and ZR1 C8 version will offer a manual option but it's probably not going to happen. GM is moving forward.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:25 PM
darkhorsevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Fred,

And my posts on this subject have consistently pointed out yet another complication. I am a person who "fully embraced change" to the extent that I chose to purchase a 2008 DCT E93 M3 over the available manual. I fully expected to love it, and did initially, but later found myself bored. I was OK with that because I had a Lotus Elise, which only was offered as a manual, as my fun car, and I found myself enjoying driving it much more.

My cure was to purchase a C7 M7, and I've been happy ever since. So, to those former manual purists who believe you'll be happy as long as GM succeeds with a DCT equal to the PDK, maybe you will be. I hope so for your sake. However, don't be surprised if you're one of those that comes down with a case of boredom like I have twice now.

You mean like the insult to the new 2020 Porsche Cayman/Spyder GT4, which is getting rave reviews and is only available as a manual? Porsche designed this as a light, minimalist sports car, and is building it for now exclusively as manual because of the weight savings.

Based upon what I expect to see with the C8, I'm feeling fairly certain a GT4 is in my future.
Ask any 911 owners and what they say about the Cayman GT4...”it’s just a Cayman”. At the end of the day it’s a 911 engine with 911 Gt3 suspension parts in a Cayman body...
The horse power is less then 400, so they have to go light weight on everything...
Do yourself a favor and buy a 911Gt3 or 911 Gt3 Rs...
Porsche did with the Cayman as what GM did with the Z28....
Old 07-15-2019, 04:31 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Oh me, what are those on the other side of the fence going to say about this? They are still upset that the vehicle now has an electric starter. They miss the old days where you could actually get in front of the car with the 'wind up' handle and actually feel the engine turning over and coming to life. ( sorry guys, I just couldn't resist )
Old 07-15-2019, 04:34 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
"Back in my days, I had to walk to school in 10 feet of snow bare feet to go to school"

This is what this thread is turning into. I never see a group of individuals so resistant to change. Cars are getting to the point where they need all the nannies in order to keep on the car on the road/track. For every owner who knows what they are doing, there is a thousand who has no clue.
I'd say it's more like 3 to 1, since almost 25% of C7s have manuals.

To expect "The casual" to comply to your ideal of what a "real driver" should be is ridiculous. DCT is a positive change for the vehicle. I don't know how anyone would see this has a negative. This is coming form a M7 owner. I am not ashamed to say that I use the Rev Match option all the time. It's not that I don't know how to do it, it just more convenient to let the care do it.

If I buy a C8, I won't care if it has a DCT. I will embrace that change because I know that transmission is going to be faster and more efficient that I could ever be with a shift stick and 3 pedals. The stigma that Corvette is an old man car is not something that is going to go away with thread like this. It only amplifies that the car requires a "rejuvenation" because soon all the current Corvette owner will be dead there will be nobody left to buy the car.
That's why it should have a choice of DCT (auto) and manual. Same as with the C7.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Ask any 911 owners and what they say about the Cayman GT4...”it’s just a Cayman”. At the end of the day it’s a 911 engine with 911 Gt3 suspension parts in a Cayman body...
The horse power is less then 400, so they have to go light weight on everything...
Do yourself a favor and buy a 911Gt3 or 911 Gt3 Rs...
Porsche did with the Cayman as what GM did with the Z28....
Wrong, it's 414HP and will be considerably lighter than the C8. After my Lotus experience, I'm not hung-up on mega power.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:10 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Wrong, it's 414HP and will be considerably lighter than the C8. After my Lotus experience, I'm not hung-up on mega power.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. One of the big things my C6 Z06 taught if me nothing else was that mega power, while it can be fun, was more than enough power for the street. Maybe even too much.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 07-15-2019 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ByByBMW:
AORoads (07-16-2019), Foosh (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:30 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

The manly man thing is fairly amusing to me, I'm old. Everyone I knew as a kid could drive a stick, my grandmother, my great aunt, everyone. I'm sure there was probably someone who didn't know how to drive one but I sure didn't know him/her. I'm not beating up stick drivers, I enjoy one in a sports car myself but I don't find driving a stick akin to taking down a mountain lion with my bare hands.

As to the latest thoughts in this thread you've got win the internet types, virgins talking about sex, and people who think their opinion is objectively correct. Not a good recipe for a helpful thread and there are not so many of each on these threads but it only takes a few to break a thread. Think about it, the question was what is it like to drive a DCT. Here is a copy/paste from the OP... All I want to know is what is it like driving a dual clutch is it simular to a TC auto besides the laggy paddle shifters or is it completely different... End copy/paste. Then look at the result, you've got some answering the question and more doing what? I'd be willing to make a bet there are a good number of posters on this thread that don't even know what the question was, it was just another opportunity to beat their drum.

Get notified of new replies

To Dual clutch concern

Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
and let's face it, you aren't really "controlling the car" because the computer is controlling part of it for you. Finger flip or not to downshift, the computer will decide if your downshift is appropriate (ie, no over-rev) and execute all of the steps to do it. That's not how I would defining "controlling the car".
I'd like to see the expression on Lewis Hamilton or Fernando Alonso's face when they're told they're not really controlling their cars when they use sequential gearboxes which perform all the sync and rev matching you speak of.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skullbussa:
PurpleLion (07-16-2019), Rapid Fred (07-16-2019), SouthernSon (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Crabman,

As a valuable contributor here, you should know well that threads do morph, just like any conversation. Conversations would be pretty boring if everyone stuck strictly to whatever the starter chose to talk about. It's a good thing. Most of the more interesting threads are not the result of what an OP wrote, but when the topic branches out, and all angles of a subject are explored.

I do agree that the "manly" theory of manual preference is utterly stupid. However, that was laid on folks expressing manual preferences by people trying to diss them, and it reflects a sub-par intellect. It's right up there with the suggestion that people who love driving manuals are those incapable of "embracing change."

I suspect you're characterizing me as being in the "win the internet" camp. That's certainly a funny metaphor, but not a very accurate one. I do enjoy writing clearly and countering points I believe to be flawed or not well thought through. Practicing the art of writing clearly keeps one intellectually sharp. But, I'm sure as hell not trying to win anything here. That would be a fools errand.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-16-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 PM
ToddC7
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 81 Posts

Crabman,

As a valuable contributor here, you should know well that threads do morph, just like any conversation. Conversations would would be pretty boring if everyone stuck strictly to whatever the starter chose to talk about. It's a good thing. Most of the more interesting threads are not the result of what an OP wrote, but when the topic branches out, and all angles of a subject are explored.

I do agree that the "manly" theory of manual preference is utterly stupid. However, that was laid on folks expressing manual preferences by people trying to diss them, and it reflects a sub-par intellect. It's right up there with the suggestion that people who love driving manuals are those incapable of "embracing change."

I suspect you're characterizing me as being in the "win the internet" camp. That's certainly a funny metaphor, but not a very accurate one. I do enjoy writing clearly and countering points I believe to be flawed or not well thought through. Practicing the art of writing clearly keeps one intellectually sharp. But, I'm sure as hell not trying to win anything here. That would be a fools errand.
Agreed. Also had a M240i with a good 'dct' (or was it just a very fast auto...) in any case, even with manual paddle shifters and a fantastic engine, it just isn't as 'fun' as a true manual.

Then, for saying that, you get the 'ol Ad Hominem attacks "Oh, you must be OLD... well get with the new times old gramps cause <xxx> is going away and is vastly inferior to the new stuff."

It's almost like on CNN where if anybody agrees with the president the anchor will be "Oh... we're not going to call you racist, BUT..." "Over to you Don. Thanks Anderson, more in the news about orange bad man... our sources say he is even badder than we thought."
The following users liked this post:
rigelkentaurus (07-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Dual clutch concern