Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's hoping all the dash lighting dims down evenly

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Default Here's hoping all the dash lighting dims down evenly

I find the only time I can really enjoy spirited driving now is on deserted back roads at night. Unfortunately, almost every car interior engineer does a terrible job of dimming down the instrument panel evenly. The center gauges may dim, but the infotainment system is blinding and/or the indicator lights don't dim at all.

The only car I have ever seen dim down properly is the latest generation of the Chevy Impala. Whoever designed the dash lighting on the Impala is a genius! Even the high beam indicator, which is certainly on while on dark back roads, dimmed down with the panel dimming control. Every light on the dash and mirror dimmed, and all displays with the brightness control.

Here's hoping the C8 dash lighting was done by the same genius person who did the Impala (or a detail oriented person like him/her).
The following users liked this post:
John T (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I find the only time I can really enjoy spirited driving now is on deserted back roads at night. Unfortunately, almost every car interior engineer does a terrible job of dimming down the instrument panel evenly. The center gauges may dim, but the infotainment system is blinding and/or the indicator lights don't dim at all.

The only car I have ever seen dim down properly is the latest generation of the Chevy Impala. Whoever designed the dash lighting on the Impala is a genius! Even the high beam indicator, which is certainly on while on dark back roads, dimmed down with the panel dimming control. Every light on the dash and mirror dimmed, and all displays with the brightness control.

Here's hoping the C8 dash lighting was done by the same genius person who did the Impala (or a detail oriented person like him/her).
Great post Michael! Big pet peeve of mine and lots of vehicles have similar lighting issues. Could one turn off the gauge lighting on the C7 and just have the heads up display on? You could not do this with the C6.
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Thanks, John! I'm not sure about the C7. I don't have one. I know the C5 HUD was independent of the dash lighting. So much so, it didn't dim down at all when the headlights were turned on. It had a separate brightness control.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's hoping all the dash lighting dims down evenly

Quick Reply: Here's hoping all the dash lighting dims down evenly