Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The reveal event could have been much larger

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 01:27 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Default The reveal event could have been much larger

On the invite list are 500 people recommended by dealers, 75 local people, and 100 people for the NCM reveal the next day (or thereabouts).

So we have 700 or so people (other than press) going to the reveal. I think they could have had thousands going. I see plenty of people on here complaining that they didn't get tickets, some who have owned many, many Corvettes. Even our forum moderator didn't get a ticket. There are far more Corvette enthusiasts than the 700 going. This is such a monumental unveiling, and has gotten so much press, I could see people traveling from all over the U.S. and beyond to the reveal. In the Corvette Coral, instead of having 75 cars, they could have had hundreds or even thousands. The more people that attend, the wider the press exposure, especially with the mainstream press.

I think this is a bit of a missed opportunity for Chevrolet. I don't think they thought big enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael A:
mracer (07-13-2019), Skid Row Joe (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:37 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Agree. But so says all those who didn’t get ***** Wonkas Golden ticket ��.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-13-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:48 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Don't agree at all. Too many people and it becomes underwhelming. This event is for a select few people that have been chosen for whatever reason, allowing them to have a much more personal experience and have the ability to truly discover and enjoy the C8. Those few people should be posting somewhere a personal experience(would guess maybe 10% will do it) which is far more effective than being watered down by thousands where you would barely get a chance to experience the C8.
I did the Corvette Ride of a Lifetime which was the unveiling/driving the C5 and there were several hundred people in my area, which was way too many to truly enjoy the unveiling and driving the C5.
GM is not that stupid that their marketing department does not have a clue. I would bet the unveiling in Tustin will be absolutely first class and an incredible life experience for those attending and exactly what GM is looking for.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-13-2019 at 11:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Grzldvt1:
23/C8Z (07-13-2019), bgspot (07-15-2019), smoove7410 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:31 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Don't agree at all. Too many people and it becomes underwhelming. This event is for a select few people that have been chosen for whatever reason, allowing them to have a much more personal experience and have the ability to truly discover and enjoy the C8. Those few people should be posting somewhere a personal experience(would guess maybe 10% will do it) which is far more effective than being watered down by thousands where you would barely get a chance to experience the C8.
I did the Corvette Ride of a Lifetime which was the unveiling/driving the C5 and there were several hundred people in my area, which was way too many to truly enjoy the unveiling and driving the C5.
GM is not that stupid that their marketing department does not have a clue. I would bet the unveiling in Tustin will be absolutely first class and an incredible life experience for those attending and exactly what GM is looking for.
I don't disagree that a smaller event may be higher quality for the few attending, but is the purpose of the unveiling to create the most "incredible life experience" for those few attending, or create the most publicity and sales for the company? Also nothing says this can't be spread out over several days.

Big events get big publicity. Examples: Indy 500, SEMA, CES.

Last edited by Michael A; 07-13-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:50 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The last thing GM wants at the reveal is self-anointed Corvette True Believers turning up their noses at the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jinx:
B747VET (07-13-2019), Michael A (07-13-2019), vndkshn (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:57 AM
MsEllie
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Doesn't this sort of promote exclusivity? The reveal plans, so far, seem quite clever.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:16 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I know those hangers are large enough to hold thousands of people but maybe GM was restricted by the local authorities or the military as to the capacity permitted. It is a wooden structure one of which I understand had partially collapsed previously. Maybe even they are concerned that cheers from such a large crowd loving the C8 might ‘bring the House down’ so to speak.
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Buddhaman
Pro

Received 490 Likes on 222 Posts

I think the reveal is spot on. It’s an event for a select few to see one car. It’s not an auto show, it won’t get muddied down with other reveals. It will be live-streamed and then there will be a nationwide tour for everyone. It’s very precise and targeted toward Corvette enthusiasts.
harley2 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:28 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Well, whatever it's going to be, or not, it's this Thursday!

(And yes, I can wait.)

Dunno if I'll ride up or not.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:30 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

In today's technological age...anyone who wants to see the reveal will be able to see it...literally anywhere. The reveal event in Tustin is a media event first and foremost. The people not directly related to media are there as enthusiasts who have a stake in Corvette and are there more as a sampling of the types of people who will actually buy the thing that the media can interview for outside opinions. Of course we will definitely see "influencers" and what not with their personal opinions all over the net within minutes of the big reveal, but we will also have some members on this forum who are contributors who will spread the word.

Even with the smallish reveal invite list, GM will definitely get premium coverage as it's the only thing going on in the automotive world at the time. Then after the reveal, GM has a traveling tour that starts a couple days later, hitting over 125 sites across America so that those of us who want to see the car in person can do so. This is well planned reveal and I expect that even if the car doesn't meet everyone's expectations the reveal schedule will be on point.
Michael A (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:38 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

The reveal is not intended to be a rock concert for the enthusiasts. It is the media launching point for the car from which all of the bloggers and mainstream press will kick off their reporting to the automotive world. The crowd is intended to be just big enough to stir excitement in the videos and pics. Too many people expect way too much of an event from this reveal.

There will only be a handful of C8s and GM needs the media types to crawl all over them with their cameras and microphones. That can’t be done if a bunch of corvette geeks are sitting in them salivating over the steering wheels and pissing in their pants. Besides, based on the comments on this forum, half the geeks attending would be bad rapping the steering wheel, exhaust or the motor not being up front. That would not make for good press.

The dealer display events will offer an opportunity for enthusiasts and potential buyers to fully examine the cars, but even there, individual time in and around the car will be limited by the volume of people attending, and don’t plan on driving one there.
Steve Garrett (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:39 AM
GoldRose85
Drifting

Received 1,292 Likes on 723 Posts

What I don't understand with the revel is the time....
Looks like GM is snubbing the east coast, the highest
volume dealers. Why not make it Prime time 8 PM EST.
Still early enough for the west coast to view....
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldRose85:
Mayor111 (07-15-2019), RPOZ51 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:43 AM
TheGadgetGuru
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

With just about everyone having a smartphone and some form of social media, unless GM blocks all the cell phone signals, the internet will be flooded with C8 images and video within just a few moments of the reveal. Like a sports event, the best seat in the house may be in front of a computer to watch it unfold and to get the immediate commentary.

Oh wait, wasn't a WiFi password provided on the passes? Maybe that's what GM is counting on.

I have no doubt it will be a record night for Corvette Forum.
Michael A (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Everyone take a deep breath.

I don't agree, I can see how many get their feelings hurt and end up taking it personally. My neighbor owns ever generation of Corvette and been a die-hard fan his entire life, and he did not get an invite. I been to Ferrari, Mclaren, Lamborghini, Porsche first showing events and have owned 5 Corvettes with the most resent being a C7 Z06 and I could have purchased a ZR1. I have a local dealer that will have the C8 on the 26th, my advice for many go to these local events. I personally prefer not going to the main event and fighting the crowds, its like being at a dance club filled with men with only one woman in the club.

I get all the hype and sharing with many how wonderful it was but when i went to those other events so much information was coming at me at once i ended up missing a lot just because of all the excitement. When you get to watch it on a PodCast you get to take it in slowly, while everyone else is doing all the work posting info about the car. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by fasttoys; 07-13-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Michael A (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

GM got it right. There’s enough people to make a crowd but not enough for it to get crowded. It’s also not a large enough crowd to make it too expensive of complicated, as things like parking and lodging are involved. Anyone else who wants to see the C8 in person can go to the dealer showings and get a much better look at the C8. That’s why GM is doing them. It won’t kill you to wait a week or two longer.

Speaking of those dealer showings, does anyone know if Nimnicht Chevy or any others in North Florida are having a C8 showing? If so, are they open to everyone or invite only?
The following 2 users liked this post by Quinten33:
Buddhaman (07-14-2019), Michael A (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:12 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
On the invite list are 500 people recommended by dealers, 75 local people, and 100 people for the NCM reveal the next day (or thereabouts)...

I think this is a bit of a missed opportunity for Chevrolet. I don't think they thought big enough.
Everyone thinks they know the whole story however they may not. Frankly, there’s more to it than, “hey, let’s invite 10,000 people!” There’s the parking lot capacity to contend with (if the parking lot only holds (for example) 700 cars, you won’t get a permit to hold the event based on 1,000+ participants), fire codes also impose a limit on participants, local town permits that need to be obtained, and to a lesser degree, ability to rent seating in sufficient quantities. It’s not as easy as it looks.

Originally Posted by Quinten33
...Speaking of those dealer showings, does anyone know if Nimnicht Chevy or any others in North Florida are having a C8 showing? If so, are they open to everyone or invite only?
Contact Nimnicht directly and ask them. That what I did with my local dealer.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-13-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote icon (in the lower right hand corner of each post) to make your responses look like this.
Michael A (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:14 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

So, now we're critiquing the reveal event? Unbelievable
The following 4 users liked this post by jimmyb:
B747VET (07-13-2019), bgspot (07-15-2019), Grzldvt1 (07-14-2019), Steve Garrett (07-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To The reveal event could have been much larger

Old 07-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, unbelieveable. It doesn't matter if there are 700 or 7000 there. In person attendees are round-off error in terms of the audience they are trying to reach. It's all about media, and the attendees are just props like at a political campaign rally.

I think you also assume there's much more demand for an event like this than there is. I'm looking forward to seeing the new car too, but I sure as hell wouldn't have traveled any distance to do so.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-13-2019 at 09:29 AM.
B747VET (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:50 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Why make a Circus out of it? Probably why a well known Clown wasn't invited. The Intetnet will take care of the rest.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

And to think I thought I could watch it right here on my IPad, from the comfort of my own home:
https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette or maybe here if I got board over there:
https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

Quick Reply: The reveal event could have been much larger