Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From MotorTrend

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts
Default From MotorTrend

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...otypes-review/

Author alleges to have driven two late development version C8s. Driving experience to be available on MT site AFTER the announcement on 7/18

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 07-14-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

The author drove two previous mid engine cars, not the C8 mid engine.
The following users liked this post:
John T (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
The author drove two previous mid engine cars, not the C8 mid engine.
1/2 WRONG!!!! RODE IN two very late C8 prototypes, DROVE CONCEPT CARS.

1/2 BAD ME

"I had the pleasure of riding shotgun in two very late C8 prototypes. Please click back to read about that adventure on the evening of July 18,

and click here for more details on the mid-engine Corvette concepts that paved the C8's way."

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 07-14-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I didn't see that in the article....where was it?
Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

I didn't see that in the article....where was it?
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...otypes-review/

Look at end of article right before photos
Old 07-14-2019, 05:40 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

If it's Motor Trend they'll say it's junk and over hyped. You'll see.

Last edited by Mike Campbell; 07-14-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
You're absolutely on, However it's the first admission in print by a mag that they've even ridden in a late development version C8.

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 07-14-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Found it....

A little more than 13 years after driving and riding in these early prototypes (the XP-882 Aerovette, the XP-895 Reynolds Corvette, and the CERV III), I had the pleasure of riding shotgun in two very late C8 prototypes. Please click back to read about that adventure on the evening of July 18, and click herefor more details on the mid-engine Corvette concepts that paved the C8's way.

I find that hard to believe...why would GM allow a MotorTrend writer ride and not any other publication's writer ride in a prototype???? All other publications would be lviid. Besides, he talks NOTHING about his ride in the C8 prototype.....I smell something fishy. Obviously you're just posting KB, but don't you find that "fishy" too?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-14-2019 at 05:52 PM.
ByByBMW (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Found it....

A little more than 13 years after driving and riding in these early prototypes (the XP-882 Aerovette, the XP-895 Reynolds Corvette, and the CERV III), I had the pleasure of riding shotgun in two very late C8 prototypes. Please click back to read about that adventure on the evening of July 18, and click herefor more details on the mid-engine Corvette concepts that paved the C8's way.

I find that hard to believe...why would GM allow a MotorTrend write and not any other publication's writer ride in a prototype???? All other publications would be lviid. Besides, he talks NOTHING about his ride in the C8 prototype.....I smell something fishy. Obviously you're just posting KB, but don't you find that "fishy" too?

IMO this is typical MT, they're working a way to obey the letter of the law while breaking the spirit of the law as to a non disclosure agreement with GM. "We know lots we can;'t say and the proof is already on the web, you're locked out of it" The olde sealed envelope trick.

I have no respect for that pub for various reasons, so be careful of what I say about it!!!!

Having said that, I'll bet there are a lot of fine publications that are going the other way to respect any GM's attempt to control the intro of the C8 having had all the experiences that MT had. MT is inferring the experience was an MT exclusive, I'm guessing all of the media had every experience MT had. GM has no reason to please MT AT ALL, certainly not at the expense of alienating the rest of the media.

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 07-14-2019 at 05:55 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 PM
CEightCorvette
3rd Gear

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

...I find that hard to believe...why would GM allow a MotorTrend write and not any other publication's writer ride in a prototype???? All other publications would be lviid. Besides, he talks NOTHING about his ride in the C8 prototype.....I smell something fishy. Obviously you're just posting KB, but don't you find that "fishy" too?
How is that fishy? MotorTrend is one of the largest automotive publications, how do you know they didn't let some other writers ride in a prototype, such as Car and Driver, Road and Track? Strange conclusion to make...
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Found it....

I find that hard to believe...why would GM allow a MotorTrend writer ride and not any other publication's writer ride in a prototype???? All other publications would be lviid. Besides, he talks NOTHING about his ride in the C8 prototype.....I smell something fishy. Obviously you're just posting KB, but don't you find that "fishy" too?
My guess is that the author, and the editorial and legal staff at M/T, have decided that broadcasting those particular words are not in violation of their agreement with GM to not share information prior to the official factory reveal. Not sure if GM will agree with that interpretation.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

If I was a writer for an automotive magazine and I got a ride in a prototype C8.....and no other automotive writer did this except me, don't you think that would have been the title of this article???? .....in BIG *** LETTERING?

Again, I find it VERY hard to believe that ONLY a MotorTrend writer....and no other magazine writer....got a ride.....but that's just me-call me crazy.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-14-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

If I was a writer for an automotive magazine and I got a ride in a prototype C8.....and no other automotive writer did this except me, don't you think that would have been the title of this article???? .....in BIG *** LETTERING?

Again, I find it VERY hard to believe that ONLY a MotorTrend writer....and no other magazine writer....got a ride.....but that's just me-call me crazy.
IMO every other legitimate, in GM's eyes, media rep had the same experiences that MT had. IMO MT is puling a usual MT. MT never says that no other media rep had that experience, just that MT did and has posted that experience on the web to be available right after the intro. "See the first riding impressions at MT., right after the intro" - my wording,. MT wants lots of clicks and this is liable to get it for them. It also puts the squeeze on the rest of the media to match or better that offer.

Note also that the announcement is NOT in the headlines but buried in the article AT THE END. That's how social network marketing works, lead the reader to believe he/she are the first to discovered something.

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 07-14-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:20 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

MT probably just the only one being vocal about it. The rest will kick in.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:36 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Originally Posted by keagan
MT probably just the only one being vocal about it. The rest will kick in.
It will be interesting to see how the remainder of the media reacts. IMO this move by MT throws a real confusion factor into the plans of the rest of the media and maybe even GM.

I can't image either GM or the rest of the media having anticipated a move like this.

Suppose, GM was trying to control timing of he "road test" evaluations by the media by not supplying test cars until AFTER the intro. What MT is doing is obeying the letter of the law and at the same time providing the only game in town, a legitimate report of a riding experience in a late development model. The clicks will go where there's some sort of info available even if its not a full road test.

Or suppose the cars were supplied and the tests done. Each media will try to maximize the draw to their version of the info by timing the release of that info. . Meanwhile MT is sitting there counting clicks as they are the only game in town.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:54 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I use Motor Trend in my out house. Saves me money on toilet paper.
Mike Campbell (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Some 13 years ago (or even further back) he drove two early GM ME cars and got to ride in the CERV. Sometime in the last maybe 1-4 years (unspecified) he got to ride shotgun in two late model ME C8 “prototypes.” Not Mules, but late model prototypes, which could literally have little or no resemblance to the actual C8 or the mules we are seeing now.

This is the type of writing that caused me to quit reading Motor Trend years ago. Could mean something. Could also mean from little to nothing.

Last edited by B747VET; 07-15-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To From MotorTrend

Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Seems like the major magazines are in the know...
they already scheduled many dealership presentations across the country,right after the reveal...
They expanded the factory....

They’re using the shock and awe strategy,expect sky high demand,
This time around ,its gonna be even more complicated
then getting a first year C7.
100 hours or so to go...expect leaks galore till the reveal.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
This is the type of writing that caused me to quit reading Motor Trend years ago. Could mean something. Could mean from little to nothing.
I can't recall the last time I picked up a M/T, but it was likely around 1974 or so. They ARE the definition of suck.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Where's the issue?, ..where's the confusion? Of course Motor Trend has seen the car, and ridden in it. So has Car & Driver, Automobile and perhaps others. The automotive media is always given pre-release exposure on all new cars. They are also similarly held under legal embargo to not release any information on the new cars. Motor Trend didn't say anything other than they had ridden in two prototypes, and to check back on the evening of reveal, July 18 to hear about it.
Rapid Fred (07-15-2019)

Quick Reply: From MotorTrend