Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting price...will they up the options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:34 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Default Starting price...will they up the options?

This is not a thread bashing the car.

I have a feeling that last nights price mention was done specifically to keep people calm and know the car itself starts at a bargain. I also however believe the car we saw last night was almost 90k fully loaded once pricing on all the options comes out. It's a great marketing. I have a feeling they will get the real price they want for the car once you actually start adding up options. More of an a la carte options list like many higher end manufacturers use.

Thoughts? I mean who here honestly isn't gonna want the car with the specs the way they showed it last night? That car had almost every option ticked. No way it was the under 60k they mentioned.
The following 4 users liked this post by ssidekickbp:
Corgidog1 (07-19-2019), LuisZ51 (07-19-2019), My12thVette (07-19-2019), rogergcam (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

And your point is?

I don't think I've ever seen an advert with the base model car shown.

You?

Why would anybody be so stupid?

Are you arguing that Chevrolet should have?
Old 07-19-2019, 07:54 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Optioning the car will add a tidy price increase.
Below are the 2LT features. The bolded features are all new features and the price will reflect it. Plus Nav and PDR are now standard with the 2LT. I am guessing the 2LT package will be double the price of the 2LT package that was on the C7.

Not sure if any of the features listed below can be added a la carte to the 1LT.

2LT adds a number of comfort and convenience features in addition to color-keyed interior options. Includes everything in 1LT, plus:

• Head-Up Display
  • Power Lumbar and Wing Adjustment
  • Wireless Phone Charging†
  • Heated and Vented Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Bose Performance Series 14-Speaker Audio System
  • Navigation with Traffic†
  • Performance Data Recorder
  • SiriusXM satellite Radio®† with 1-year Subscription
  • Universal Home Remote Sun Visor
  • Power-Folding Mirrors
  • Rear Camera Mirror† – Coupe
  • Memory Package
  • Curb View Camera†
  • Side Blind Zone Alert†
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert†
  • Advanced Theft-Deterrent System
  • Parcel Nets

Last edited by c54u; 07-19-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

About the same as the C6 and C7 1LT to 2LT upgrade. For overly pedantic types, I italicized "About" intentionally, in lieu of the use of "Exactly."

Nothing new here folks, move along.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 AM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

Just like the C7, options will add up quickly. My 2019 Grand Sport started at $65,900, my spec MSRP was a hell of a lot more than that.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:04 AM
TheGadgetGuru
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

A couple of questions on options:

1) Some of today's cars with wireless phone charging allow the phone to connect wirelessly to Car Play. Will this be offered in the C8?

2) Am I the only one who is surprised not to see adaptive cruise control as an option? It's a nice feature to have while cruising on the highway or stuck in slow moving traffic.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by c54u
Below are the 2LT features. The bolded features are all new features and the price will reflect it. Plus Nav and PDR are now standard with the 2LT. I am guessing the 2LT package will be double the price of the 2LT package that was on the C7.

Not sure if any of the features listed below can be added a la carte to the 1LT.

2LT adds a number of comfort and convenience features in addition to color-keyed interior options. Includes everything in 1LT, plus:

• Head-Up Display
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Power-Folding Mirrors
  • Memory Package
  • Curb View Camera†
  • Side Blind Zone Alert†
  • Parcel Nets
I think the bolded items are more table stakes in today's market. Not arguing that 2LT pricing may go up a little over the C7 package, but I don't expect it to be a huge jump. What I saw on the website was that MRC is only available on the Z51 (like it was on the C7 initially), so for me it's going to be Z51 2LT, so I'm expecting it to be a decent jump over the base price.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:13 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Try to buy a 911 at the base price. I doubt you can get seats or a steering wheel at the base price. They charge an option fee for practically everything in the vehicle. It doesn't take much to almost double the base price to get a vehicle worth owning. If you look at the fine print on any car commercial, the vehicle shown is far more expensive than the base price shown in large fonts.
The following users liked this post:
wingman1659 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

What is the point of this thread....every single car manufacturer presents new inventory this way.....OF COURSE options will cost more. OF COURSE they will make the car more expensive....what did you expect? What were you thinking they were going to do????
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
DebRedZR1 (07-19-2019), drs (07-19-2019), JerryU (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:21 AM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
What is the point of this thread....every single car manufacturer presents new inventory this way.....OF COURSE options will cost more. OF COURSE they will make the car more expensive....what did you expect? What were you thinking they were going to do????
Come out with a Z06 model for under $60k. I think what is happening is just mind games. We can't have it both ways. You have the one group that says..............UNDER $60K. Yea yea yea!!!!. But, the rest of us know those are going to be few and far between, so why hype that price point up and tell everyone it's a high 2 second 0-60 car for under $60k when that won't be the case either. I think a highly optioned 3LT will run high 60's with some of the configs I've been seeing. All i know is the Z06 is gonna be one bad *****. There's been some cool configs done already. I will sit back and enjoy everyone and their purchases while I wait for the Z06 or whatever model they will call the Hipo level Vettes.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by txapezl1
Come out with a Z06 model for under $60k..
Yeah, right, ok, sure, uh ha, yup, yes-sir-ee,....... dream on......
Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70
I think the bolded items are more table stakes in today's market. Not arguing that 2LT pricing may go up a little over the C7 package, but I don't expect it to be a huge jump. What I saw on the website was that MRC is only available on the Z51 (like it was on the C7 initially), so for me it's going to be Z51 2LT, so I'm expecting it to be a decent jump over the base price.
The C7 2LT package on the C7 is about $4500. The C8 2LT package with the table stakes will easily up the price by $2000. Add the Nav and PDR which is standard on the C8 2LT for $1800 (C7 option price) and you have a $3800 estimated price increase for the C8 2LT for a total price of $8300. Just have to wait for the price book to come out to get the real pricing.

Last edited by c54u; 07-19-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Come out with a Z06 model for under $60k. I think what is happening is just mind games. We can't have it both ways. You have the one group that says..............UNDER $60K. Yea yea yea!!!!. But, the rest of us know those are going to be few and far between, so why hype that price point up and tell everyone it's a high 2 second 0-60 car for under $60k when that won't be the case either. I think a highly optioned 3LT will run high 60's with some of the configs I've been seeing. All i know is the Z06 is gonna be one bad *****. There's been some cool configs done already. I will sit back and enjoy everyone and their purchases while I wait for the Z06 or whatever model they will call the Hipo level Vettes.

Again, every brand does this....why does this seem like a new concept to everyone on this Forum????? Many C7 purchasers get a Base Stingray with the 1LT interior. Load it up...add options-that's your choice!
Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
About the same as the C6 and C7 1LT to 2LT upgrade. For overly pedantic types, I italicized "About" intentionally, in lieu of the use of "Exactly."

Nothing new here folks, move along.

The business case for C8 is the business case for C7, slightly updated. You'll see options prices in the same general ranges.

They can't price C8 like a 911 with hugely expensive options, 'cause they aren't selling to the 911 buyer.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

If I recall correctly they sell more 1LT C7 cars than anything else. That isn't reflected here on Corvette Forum where people are huge enthusiasts, but it's the case in the real world, where most people can't tell the difference between the various models and trims--and many people know that you get 90-95% of the goodness of the upper level cars with a 1LT base model.

(When I bought my 2017 1LT from Les Stanford Chevy a couple of years ago they had a number of 1LT cars in stock. Multiple colors choices, manual or auto, NPP exhaust or not.)

The following users liked this post:
bgspot (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

I think it will be similar to the up charges on the C7 with a bit of inflation on the new model. The base C7 was around 52k so getting a C8 entry at under 60, which I am guessing is probably 59,999, is a marvel in and of itself. There is so much new technology and upgrades to the C8 to get it for about 7k more than the base C7 is awesome. I am sure the 2LT will have a similar price as the C7 did at launch.

Just like when the C7 was launched the model they displayed was a 3LT with Z51 and other options and was priced at roughly 73k. I imagine a similarly configured C8 would run around 77-79k.

Things will be a whole different ball game when you start adding the twin turbo and the electric AWD. Those will be 6 figure cars. Rightfully so.

I think the C8 is setup perfectly to be a very successful release.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:00 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u

• Head-Up Display
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Power-Folding Mirrors
  • Memory Package
  • Curb View Camera†
  • Side Blind Zone Alert†
  • Parcel Nets
What is everyones guess on the cost adder for the 2LT above and Z51?

Get notified of new replies

To Starting price...will they up the options?

Old 07-19-2019, 10:20 AM
99 Black Bird TA
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks like a home run for the C8 & GM, A++

The base model mid-engine 490hp 6.2 liter engined C8 will have A/C, automatic transmission for under $60,000 - that's a win I spent more than that on restoration & resto-modding my 91 RS Camaro. In a few years a base model C8 will be as affordable as a 2015 C7 is now

Last edited by 99 Black Bird TA; 07-19-2019 at 10:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 99 Black Bird TA:
bgspot (07-19-2019), fsvoboda (07-19-2019), PurpleLion (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 AM
boostm2
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGadgetGuru
A couple of questions on options:

1) Some of today's cars with wireless phone charging allow the phone to connect wirelessly to Car Play. Will this be offered in the C8?

2) Am I the only one who is surprised not to see adaptive cruise control as an option? It's a nice feature to have while cruising on the highway or stuck in slow moving traffic.
Re options, anywone think that mag suspension and perf exhaust will be offered as stingray options outside the Z51 pkg as offered on the C7?
Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

You can add $20k in options on a Corvette without even trying, C7 or C8.

I highly doubt there will be more than a dozen 2020 C8's that are stickered at $60,000 as delivered to the Dealer, and most will be $80,000+. Think about it -- if YOU were a dealer, and you knew you would easily and quickly sell every single C8 you received, regardless of options, why wouldn't you order every single one fully loaded? More guaranteed profit.

And don't forget the mid-year price bump -- I'd guess +$3000 just like the C7.

None of this is new, as it went on with the C7 as well at intro. But all those saying "you can get one for $60,000!" -- well, theoretically, but that isn't really the case for 99.99% of the buyers. It's like when retailers used to advertise "Big screen TV's for $19.99!" on Black Friday, but in reality, they only had three at that price, and the rest were $199.

Quick Reply: Starting price...will they up the options?