Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,000 memories: When is enough (tech) enough? And is your car spying on you?

Old 07-19-2019, 09:44 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Default 1,000 memories: When is enough (tech) enough? And is your car spying on you?

Thinking about the reveal last night, a few highlights will be memories forever. Great job for Team Corvette on bringing Zora's dream to reality, as I can't wait to get into a C8.

That said, one thing struck me as a bit of a privacy invasion. The GPS tracking of the car, or the ability to "remember" points of interest for the front end lift. The car will know where you have been. Is this of any concern to you and your freedoms of the open road? I don't know. I am on the fence about this, curious what others think.

When is technology "too much" or "too invasive"?
The following users liked this post:
Dan_the_C5_Man (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Korosion
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is your tin hat, it comes in many different colors!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Korosion:
23/C8Z (07-20-2019), DracoDan (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:51 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,751 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

If the technology is too much or too invasive, buy an older model Corvette.....as for me, I don't worry about it nor do I give a damn. I'd like to purchase one!

Personally, I think the ability for the front end lift system to remember where you activated it was awesome!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-19-2019 at 09:52 AM.
m3incorp (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Josh M
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 212 Likes on 147 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19,'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Thinking about the reveal last night, a few highlights will be memories forever. Great job for Team Corvette on bringing Zora's dream to reality, as I can't wait to get into a C8.

That said, one thing struck me as a bit of a privacy invasion. The GPS tracking of the car, or the ability to "remember" points of interest for the front end lift. The car will know where you have been. Is this of any concern to you and your freedoms of the open road? I don't know. I am on the fence about this, curious what others think.

When is technology "too much" or "too invasive"?
I'm sure it is spying on you. I wouldn't be surprised if in like 5 years as more GM cars probably get this GPS waypoint learning technology if GM sells the data to advertises so they know where people are going just like FB/Google/Twitter also are selling your data haha

Like others have said, it doesn't really bother me too much. I also wonder as people start modifying the cars anyways if some of that stuff gets disabled along the way as I'm sure when you start working with tuning it'll start to throw codes unless things are disabled.

I just don't want that stuff to give me a speeding ticket retroactively!
Old 07-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh M
I'm sure it is spying on you. I wouldn't be surprised if in like 5 years as more GM cars probably get this GPS waypoint learning technology if GM sells the data to advertises so they know where people are going just like FB/Google/Twitter also are selling your data haha

Like others have said, it doesn't really bother me too much. I also wonder as people start modifying the cars anyways if some of that stuff gets disabled along the way as I'm sure when you start working with tuning it'll start to throw codes unless things are disabled.

I just don't want that stuff to give me a speeding ticket retroactively!
This was a noted also as it could be good and bad.. Anyone that can hack into they system will be able to locate your car, if stolen hopefully the police can use the info to recover the car and more importantly catch the ******** that stole it. FB/Google/Twitter locations are turned off to prevent this, not that I am a conspiracy nut just think if they are going to sell the info I should get a cut after all it is my information.

Modifying is also another concern, rather than disable it Id like to see it modified to acknowledge the new lower ride hide and still be able to lift to original height.

Last edited by Kacyc3; 07-19-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Korosion
Here is your tin hat, it comes in many different colors!!!

Thanks, NooB. Was this your first, or your second post? Good one, nonetheless.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:42 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
This was a noted also as it could be good and bad.. Anyone that can hack into they system will be able to locate your car, if stolen hopefully the police can use the info to recover the car and more importantly catch the ******** that stole it. FB/Google/Twitter locations are turned off to prevent this, not that I am a conspiracy nut just think if they are going to sell the info I should get a cut after all it is my information.

Modifying is also another concern, rather than disable it Id like to see it modified to acknowledge the new lower ride hide and still be able to lift to original height.

Speaking of modifying, how does this technology, or technology in general, affect modifying the car?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Legionofone1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Corvettes have had onstar for 20 years now...
The following 2 users liked this post by Legionofone1:
Bucknut2006 (07-20-2019), Quinten33 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:44 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

I would imagine it would be up to the owners discretion to enable or disabled this feature correct? I really could care less who knows where I'm at at any given moment. I'm not exactly hiding from anyone.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Police can and do, at times, have a car tell them how fast it was going, were the breaks on etc. The PDR can be used in court and the GPS and prepaid toll transponder know where you have been. It is life today. I am not sure we can avoid all of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glenmcp:
dmporter31 (07-20-2019), LuisZ51 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Cars have had "black boxes" for over a decade. Most manufacturers have had the technology for yeeeeears. So, stop whining.

The black box data, like airplanes, gives a snapshot of the driver and car parameters moments before an accident. With the addition of GPS technology-- don't ever use it to rob a bank.

I'm sure calloway will still modify it and the tuners will, as always, produce a billion+ dollar a year industry around Corvette performance and modifications.
LuisZ51 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Twin6s
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm for more concerned with the "over the air" updates "phoning home" and seeing how fast Chevy can void your warranty. All those great updates you get for your phone thatmmess things up left and right, your car will soon have the same (bugs) flaws/features.

There are plenty of concerns with GM"s new electrical architecture and how this all plays into them having access to your vehicle after it rolls off the assembly line.

Yeah, yeah, I know. If it's isn't what you want, then don't buy it. I totally get that and I'm not a customer as of yet. Once the aftermarket kicks in and provides a solution to these problems, then maybe.

Not a tin foil hat wearer. I approach it like anything else I own. I own it. I want to decide what gets done and what doesn't. I don't lease products, nor would I ever.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Z06_Ruff
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

It's no different than owning a smart phone that knows your every move. It's simply the day and age we live in. Technology is King.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:48 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Legionofone1
Corvettes have had onstar for 20 years now...
I just read the other day that GM is discontinuing OnStar.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

You: "Honey, we're all out of milk! I'm gonna do a milk run..."
Her: "You mean, go to the nudie bar?"
You: "Ah, what do you mean by that?"
Her: "You accidentally lent me YOUR key fob...."

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Michael A (07-28-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Korosion
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Thanks, NooB. Was this your first, or your second post? Good one, nonetheless.
Second
Old 07-19-2019, 02:26 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Do you have a smart phone? If so, have you disabled all the GPS stuff on that? Even without that, cell tower tracking is pretty accurate these days. Both your car and your phone can be tracked that way since it has a cell phone built in.

Get notified of new replies

To 1,000 memories: When is enough (tech) enough? And is your car spying on you?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Axelrod
Cars have had "black boxes" for over a decade. Most manufacturers have had the technology for yeeeeears. So, stop whining.

The black box data, like airplanes, gives a snapshot of the driver and car parameters moments before an accident. With the addition of GPS technology-- don't ever use it to rob a bank.

I'm sure calloway will still modify it and the tuners will, as always, produce a billion+ dollar a year industry around Corvette performance and modifications.
GM was one of the first to start using 'Event data recorders (i.e. black boxes)' in their cars going all the way back to 1994 models (Buick Roadmaster, Cadillac Fleetwood, Chevy Caprice, Pontiac Grand Prix). Corvettes didn't receive them until the C5 came out in 1997. By 2003 there were an estimated 40 million cars with EDRs & now they all have them.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:18 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

My radar detector allows me to save GPS locations. Didn't stop me from purchasing it, in fact, its one of the reasons I did so.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:43 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SingleTrackMinded
My radar detector allows me to save GPS locations. Didn't stop me from purchasing it, in fact, its one of the reasons I did so.

Is your radar detector registered or otherwise traceable to the DMV/State/Info sold to govt. or private companies? Doubtful, as they really don't "identify" owners of the devices through that feature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1,000 memories: When is enough (tech) enough? And is your car spying on you?