Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell my Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:19 PM
NFARVW
Racer

Received 375 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Should I sell my Ferrari?

A question bouncing in my head the last 12 hours...

I must commend the men and women behind the C8 project, bravo! They really did a lot with a 60K base price, so much so, it literally closed the gap between sports cars and super cars. The C8 will be the highest selling model in history, no doubt. It's no shock as to why they did it now. They are widening their target demographic as, and please don't take this wrong, the normal demographic is getting to the point of not being long for this world. The C8 will now target 30 somethings out of college and up instead of the mid-life crisis zone.

I still want to wait until the beta testers work out kinks and give time for high spec models to come to fruition but damn if this C8 put me in a pickle lol. I wanted a Ferrari since I was a kid and achieved that goal at age 34 without a college education (currently a FirefighterEMT / event panner / content creator / photographer) and never even thought about owning a corvette until now, so, it worked. The C8 is going to bring so many newcomers to the brand worldwide it's going to go down in the auto buff history books. I vividly remember a trip we took to Italy were a Mustang GT, Lamborghini Gallardo, and Ferrari 458 Italia were lined up streetside near a cafe in Rome…there was a HUGE crowd around the Mustang, the Italian arch enemies never got a second look. Now imagine a right hand drive EU version C8 for the backwards countries (lol) and you have a working mans supercar available to all. Bravo….bravo!

I really hope they go for a smaller displacement, high revving, Flat Plane Crank engine down the road. I may keep the Ferrari and convince the wife to dump her Mercedes (she's an aggressive driver anyway lol) or I can always find a storage facility for it…I'll work it out. All I know is for the first time in my life I want a Vette and whether the die hard fans love or hate the C8, they should love what it's going to do to the industry.

A fellow YouTuber reviewed my current ride if you're interested:

2014 Ferrari California 30 Handling Speciale
MODIFICATIONS TO DATE:
PAINT - FULL CORRECTION & CERAMIC PRO 9H

EXHAUST - FERRARI FACTORY SPORT SYSTEM

INTAKE - BMC F1 FILTERS

SPRINGS - NOVITEC SPORT SET TO 1.5” DROP

WHEELS - ADV1 AD05 M.V2 (TWO PIECE)

TIRES - NITTO NT555 G2

(REAR 315/30R/20 - FRONT 255/25R/20)

MISC – FERRARI DRIVER & PASSENGER SIDE DEAD PEDALS, FERRARI CARBON FIBER FRONT SPLITTER, TRICOLORE BADGE, BESPOKE ALCANTARA FLOORMATS, FERRARI SCUDERIA TITANIUM OIL CAP, FERRARI SCUDERIA VALVE STEM CAPS, RED SEATBELT CONVERSION.

Playing around with some over the top supercar looks…love it.

The following 6 users liked this post by NFARVW:
68roadster (07-19-2019), bgspot (07-21-2019), blacheg (07-20-2019), bmacZO6 (07-20-2019), Flex182 (07-20-2019), raylo (07-21-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:20 PM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

Go for it!!!

Viva america!!!!!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:21 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh hell yes!!! Sell it ASAP!!!!! You post on Fchat? What's your handle?
Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Order the C8 and I'll come pick up the Ferrari for safe keeping in my garage while you weigh the prospects.
The following users liked this post:
NFARVW (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 PM
NFARVW
Racer

Originally Posted by MagRedConv
Oh hell yes!!! Sell it ASAP!!!!! You post on Fchat? What's your handle?
Fireman1291 over there. I'm considering keeping and adding the Vette but I'll most likely sell off the Aprilia….I never ride anymore anyway…good trade off lol.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

get a C8 when you want to have fun and keep the Ferrari when you want people thinking you have fun.
Mikado463 (07-22-2019)
WoozyWagtail
Instructor

Received 380 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd keep the Ferrari. These corvettes will be everywhere.
The following 4 users liked this post by WoozyWagtail:
Dicecal (07-19-2019), intensifi (07-20-2019), NytmereZ (07-19-2019), Sin City (07-19-2019)
morepwr
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 96 Posts

Keep it and just add to your collection.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Well, your car is gorgeous and Ferrari has always been my dream car. Truthfully, the California model is not my favorite, the 458/488 cars are the stuff my dreams are made of. That said, I could not imagine stepping down from your car to a base Sting Ray coupe and I know you will at least wait for the Z versions to show-up, then see what's what.
911Hunter (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

After seeing that C8. I'd throw the Ferrari right in the trash.
The following 4 users liked this post by SoFloVette:
dkpnkc (07-19-2019), Flex182 (07-20-2019), k wright (07-22-2019), wenkan (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:28 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

yes get rid of it

but,you really need to help the needy

''ME'',

just till me where to pick it up and take it off your hands
Old 07-19-2019, 03:29 PM
NFARVW
Racer

Originally Posted by morepwr
Keep it and just add to your collection.
I tend to dump things I don't use…so the bike will most likely go if thats the case. The C8 really took me by surprise man…I didn't think i'd like it.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:34 PM
NFARVW
Racer

Originally Posted by NineVettes
Well, your car is gorgeous and Ferrari has always been my dream car. Truthfully, the California model is not my favorite, the 458/488 cars are the stuff my dreams are made of. That said, I could not imagine stepping down from your car to a base Sting Ray coupe and I know you will at least wait for the Z versions to show-up, then see what's what.
The Cali30 Handling Speciale is something special. Last N/A V8 (the sound is OMG), tighter gear ratios, tighter steering, 3.5 sec 0-60, hardtop vert, handles insane (my springs help) and it's WAY FAST above 100+

I almost bought the 458 first but the two car feel (hard top or vert) beat it out for the price range. The Cali30 HS is worlds above a gen1 Cali. In any case, I'd have to see where they take the power plant in the C8 as you mentioned. I have a feeling they will be near HyperCar HP territory with certain packaging. We shall see!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:48 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NFARVW
Fireman1291 over there. I'm considering keeping and adding the Vette but I'll most likely sell off the Aprilia….I never ride anymore anyway…good trade off lol.
Originally Posted by NFARVW
The Cali30 Handling Speciale is something special. Last N/A V8 (the sound is OMG), tighter gear ratios, tighter steering, 3.5 sec 0-60, hardtop vert, handles insane (my springs help) and it's WAY FAST above 100+

I almost bought the 458 first but the two car feel (hard top or vert) beat it out for the price range. The Cali30 HS is worlds above a gen1 Cali. In any case, I'd have to see where they take the power plant in the C8 as you mentioned. I have a feeling they will be near HyperCar HP territory with certain packaging. We shall see!
As you're aware, the number of California's for sale is large. Your model should bring you around $135k if you find the buyer among the glut. Having said that, it sounds like you drive your cars and we know how people shopping F look at miles, perhaps it will remain in your possession.

Personally, I'll decide on the C8 after I drive one. For now it's nice to look at.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 PM
NFARVW
Racer

Originally Posted by MagRedConv
As you're aware, the number of California's for sale is large. Your model should bring you around $135k if you find the buyer among the glut. Having said that, it sounds like you drive your cars and we know how people shopping F look at miles, perhaps it will remain in your possession.

Personally, I'll decide on the C8 after I drive one. For now it's nice to look at.
Yeah I'm averaging 700 miles a month on the Cali30 which, considering I daily my Tundra, is a lot. I'd really like both and I'm willing to try and convince the wife to dump her Benz for it
Old 07-19-2019, 03:59 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

I would, just to save on maintenance alone...
The following 2 users liked this post by dkpnkc:
desmophile (07-22-2019), VolunteerHotRodder (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:59 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Honestly, I'd wait for the Z models to come out. A wide body C8 is going to be amazing.
The following 2 users liked this post by BaylorCorvette:
bgspot (07-21-2019), intensifi (07-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Should I sell my Ferrari?

Old 07-19-2019, 04:02 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,350 Likes on 482 Posts

2 totally different kind of cars. Only you know what's right for you. But a 5 year old California isn't anything special so why keep it?

Last edited by CitznFish; 07-19-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:04 PM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
Honestly, I'd wait for the Z models to come out. A wide body C8 is going to be amazing.
I bet the "Manta Ray" option will be for the widebody.. that would be sick.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:11 PM
VolunteerHotRodder
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on why you bought the Ferrari. Did you buy it as a performance car, because of childhood nostalgia, or the brand itself? Maybe it was a little of all of them. Let's be honest, a lot of people are going to gawk and adore a Ferrari, and it brings a certain amount of prestige with it.

From a monetary standpoint, the Corvette checks all the boxes. Incredible performance, at an incredible price. Practicality here in America would also lean in the Corvettes favor. There are going to me more parts readily available, and a giant dealership network should you have any problems anywhere between the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean. Granted not every mechanic is going to be qualified to work on these, familiarity can go a long way if a simple problem arises. As exotic as this platform is, it's still GM.

Looks are subjective. Some people will complain that this or that looks cheap, but the bottom line is you can't build and sell a car for $60k that has $100k worth of parts in it. I think the car is gorgeous, but you can't please everyone. As far as looks, I would take your Ferrari to the dealership, and park the cars beside each other. It might be that 1 car immediately jumps out to your personal taste. Or maybe you'll love them both. If you love how both look, then you can narrow down what's really important to you in a car without visual styling getting in the way.

They're going to sound very different, this is another thing that boils down to personal taste. But it is something to consider if you spend any amount of time driving, especially long distances.

The strongest and weakest argument in favor of the Corvette is the drivetrain. As far as performance, I don't see any engine on the market rivaling GM's sbc. There are a lot of exotic engine designs, but reliability is always a big concern of mine. Again I'll go back to familiarity. GM isn't going to a new platform without years of real world data. This is a tried and true engine design. Then we get to the transmission. We don't know Jack about them. I believe this is the first twin clutch transmission GM has built. What I take solace in, is there are a lot of companies that have been making this style transmission for awhile. I would think GM spent a lot of time researching, addressing weaknesses, and engineering what they feel is a superior transmission for this application. Time will tell. I think it's very wise to wait and see what happens with the first production run. You know people will be quick to complain if there is a problem. But this is GM's flagship model, I imagine problems will be addressed quickly.

On paper the Corvette makes sense, but like I said, all of this is subjective to what you want out of a car. Some people like owning things that are unique, no matter what downsides may present themselves. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, and it didn't get much cooler than a red Ferrari convertible, or a yellow Lamborghini Diablo. Take a look at the comparable Corvette of the time, and it's easy to see why we were so quick to buy a poster of a Lambo and slap it on our wall. But the C8 is a different beast, it competes with these cars on all levels. It's a game changer for the performance minded enthusiast. If pure performance isn't your main concern, you have to determine what is important and figure out which car does that best.

Look on the bright side, you're trying to decide on wether you want a Ferrari or Corvette. I bet the kid playing Excite Bike on NES in '91 would be giddy at the thought.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my Ferrari?