Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much cost for the courtesy delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 11:18 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I wouldn't hesitate to break-in the car driving home from Kerbeck or the Museum. The main thing about break-in is keep the loads down, which freeway driving will do easily. Just vary your speeds, and change to different gears for various intervals. You'll be going up and down hills. Take a few side roads, and sight see some towns. The car will be broken in perfectly. This is much better than extended engine idling while in traffic jams around town.
Exactly. Pull off the interstate for lunch. Drive through a small town. Last new car I bought I went overboard on the break in and let it heat cycle a few times!!
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:13 PM
johniew398
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

I purchased a 2006 Z06 out of state and had it shipped here to a dealer in Jane, MO. The dealer didn't charge me for the pre delivery and the service advisor made sure his techs didn't put any dealer stickers/decals on the car.

I did purchase an extended warranty from the dealer because they had a lower price but that was discussed/negotiated after they readied the car for delivery.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:19 PM
johniew398
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

The following users liked this post:
r00t61 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:44 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Never heard the Spring Mountain, requirement but to "sell" C7s and no doubt C8s they had to buy the package of tools and send a tech to be trained. Every new car model has a "tool kit." Recall when my Uncle was the Service Manger at a very large Chevy dealer, borrowing one for my '67 Corvair that was part of the '65 model tool package. It was new in the foam carton, no one had used it! A good mechanic learns 'tricks" to make repairs and beat the GM allotted times. Gets them more commision!

Dealer's don't do Courtesy Delivery because the salesman and sales manager get PO'ed! Now the Service Manger, in most cases could care less if sales is mad! They are judged on their department profits and customer service satisfaction!
Not sure why; "salesman and sales manager get PO'ed?" They weren't going to get the sale anyway. I'd be delighted to do every CD I could, were I the Chev. dealer owner. Pure profit for me.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^^
Not a salesman's mind set (or they wouldn't be a good salesman!) They could "cut a deal" for you at whatever price! BS but they try! Simple, they lower the price for the car to match (whatever deal) and screw you on the trade! Commonly done IF you fall for it!

I agree that the owner gets the fee charged PLUS most important and where they make the most profit- the after sales service! Heck they get paid by GM for the PDI anyway!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-29-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:46 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Bluan, it’s not a cheap car. Apparently you can afford it. It’s only money. Shop around and pay the best price.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

ROAD TRIP!

Either NCM delivery or pick it up from the dealer you ordered from.

I got my GT350 in Oklahoma and drove it back to CA with my dad. It was a great trip and we had a great time talking, enjoying the scenery, etc. Totally worth the few days of travelling.

As far as break in goes, don't worry about it much. If it really mattered, they would do it at the factory to minimize warranty costs.

Here is what I did:
  • Don't use cruise control. Your speed will naturally vary a bit.
  • When you come to an 18-wheeler, floor it so you can get by quickly and safely (all in the name of safety officer, don't want a tire to explode as am I passing)
  • Use different gears.
  • Note that the differential is tied to road speed, not which gear you are in. So you will want to very your road speed a bit, but as mentioned above, that will happen naturally.
-T

Quick Reply: Too much cost for the courtesy delivery?