Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front hood popped open today

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 10:19 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,135 Likes on 3,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
GM has said their engineers are reviewing the issue to determine what can be done to prevent it occurring in the future. Do you really believe they are going publish every speculation they have on the issue? They are probably trying everything they can to recreate the issue. Looking at the options on the cars where it occurred, maybe measuring electromagnetic fields where it occurred. Pouring through codes looking for spurious branches. Do you guys really think this some really simple thing to find and fix? If so, they would already have issued the fix or ordering parts to fix the issue.

I you guys don’t remember the Ford Explorer tire blow outs and rollovers. For months it was blamed on Firestone. It wasn’t a tire problem at all. It was a combination of lower specified tire pressures by Ford in response to complaints about a rough ride on the highway, and people’s in attention to tire pressures, letting them sag below spec, overloading the vehicle in combination with instructions to raise tire pressures if you were going to traveling at high speeds or carrying heavy loads. So mostly user error, and Ford not specifying a wide enough margin of error human ignorance.

What would have GM do, stop production of the car, for something the cause is unknown, or could be fixed with a software update or a new connector, or sensor? Tell everyone to park their car, when there have been maybe 12 incidents. There are no easy solution (to an unknown cause) or it would have happened or been announced.

or are you the same people that when there is a police shooting, that assume the police are the bad guys, even before all the facts are known.
Yes, the engineers will want to fix the problem.
The bean counters will want to wait until it looks like the cost of stonewalling exceeds the cost of fixing the problem.
The lawyers will want to wait until the cost of the potential liability exceeds the cost of fixing the problem.
If were lucky, the NTSB will intervene.
The owners will want the problem resolved so they aren't put at risk or the insurance premiums go up.
That's the way the system works.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 08-05-2020 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
STL-C9 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 10:30 PM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,732 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Or unplug the latch release motor, that ends it complete no matter what switch is pushed.
^^^^^Even better! Not having access to the car I don't know all the particulars of the setup.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:36 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,606 Likes on 4,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
^^^^^Even better! Not having access to the car I don't know all the particulars of the setup.
I said that because it makes sense, but not 100% sure it will work OK. With the CAN bus everything gets weird. After I pulled #18 I had hood open message. it cleared after I used the cable and opened and closed the hood. Not sure if the system needs to "see" the latch motor or not. Just saying.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:11 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Since the C8 PDR automatically engages on models that have it, we should be seeing more video testimonials coming in the pipeline.

I wonder if the rocker switch you press or pull is the culprit?
Old 08-06-2020, 07:50 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Since the C8 PDR automatically engages on models that have it....
Only if set up to - In Settings
Old 08-06-2020, 05:22 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
It looks like every instance has occurred after stopping, then starting to drive again. This electronic glitch must be somehow related to that.
nope
Old 08-06-2020, 05:29 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinmaniac
There were no chimes or warnings. Wish I read your post earlier. I now have paint damage after opening the hood.
Maybe I missed it, but did you describe the circumstances just before driving off? How certain are you that the hood was closed properly?
Old 08-06-2020, 05:58 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
The bean counters will want to wait until it looks like the cost of stonewalling exceeds the cost of fixing the problem.
The lawyers will want to wait until the cost of the potential liability exceeds the cost of fixing the problem.
The owners will want the problem resolved so they aren't put at risk or the insurance premiums go up.
Actually, the lawyers will want to fix the problem immediately. Lawyers try to avoid litigation. It is the bean counters who will do the costs vs benefit analysis.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:07 PM
STL-C9
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I hope everyone who has been following this string reads RacerX post and RKCRLR reply: Their points frame the issue perfectly.
I'll add to this, the overreach of nanny state safety regulations and features to prevent the 1/100,000 event ( an unfortunate child trapped in frunk?)), with the unintended consequence of allowing an inadvertent hood fly up- 12/5000 to date occurrence-- (so far as we know here) which is potentially much, much higher fatal outcome.

Mechanical redundancies incorporated for years ( as mentioned in this thread) could address both issues.

Reminds me of the very sad stories we would hear each summer of a parent on way to work forgetting an infant in a car seat. The $300 tech solutions that were floated were ridiculous.
I would think: How 'bout the parent take their giant yellow BABY ON BOARD sign, and hang it from the rear view mirror facing THEM, rather than outwards as a signal to other motorists that they should "mind their driving" or whatever it meant. I was never really sure.

Weeks away from my CMG/2LT/Z51 stuck at 3000 since 1.31.
I'm 7th in line at my dealer and #5, Rapid is on the transport. Will def check that out ( mouth watering)

Old 08-07-2020, 07:19 AM
Bucco Bar
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting happenings. I will be picking up my repaired car on Tuesday at the dealer. I will ask them to do the update before my pickup. No matter what,I will still be adding a tether. It was a scary experience having the frunk pop open and I do not want to take any chances! Good luck to all.
Norm

Last edited by Bucco Bar; 08-07-2020 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bucco Bar:
B747VET (08-07-2020), JerryU (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 08:54 AM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucco Bar
Interesting happenings. I will be picking up my repaired car on Tuesday at the dealer. I will ask them to do the update before my pickup. No matter what,I will still be adding a tether. I was a scary experience having the frunk pop open and I do not want to take any chances! Good luck to all.
Norm
‘I’ve downloaded the update but I’m not 100% sure if that will correct the problem or even if is the fix for popping hoods. I will also add a tether just to be safe. I’d rather be safe than sorry, and besides, you can always remove it later.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:45 AM
LJT
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
‘I’ve downloaded the update but I’m not 100% sure if that will correct the problem or even if is the fix for popping hoods. I will also add a tether just to be safe. I’d rather be safe than sorry, and besides, you can always remove it later.
does not read like it solves the popping hood issue.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^
Until GM defines the actual cause, and says most probably what it was, I'll do the same. We all can "guess" the cause as to what it "might be" BUT a tether is easy to install, prevents damage or an accident should it occur.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-07-2020 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
B747VET (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 01:48 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Actually, the lawyers will want to fix the problem immediately. Lawyers try to avoid litigation. It is the bean counters who will do the costs vs benefit analysis.
YES, lawyers who might potentially be blamed by their employers or by those whom they represent for incompetently causing a major lawsuit to mushroom out of control do indeed try to avoid such litigation.

And NO, almost every other lawyer on the planet prays for the opportunity to be hired to represent the defendants of major litigations or major government prosecutions and investigations.

When in school I worked as a messenger for Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher who were retained to represent GM in a major government prosecution. They had a 3000 sq ft room dedicated to the effort. It had 2 supervising senior partners, 6 junior lawyers, 20 staff and clerks, and 8 xerox machines the size of golf carts making thousands and thousands of copies 24 hours a day every day 6 days a week and then storing them away. They made millions over two years.

But, YES, it is the bean counters who make recommendations to the CEO as to whether to settle or fight. But, always with the advice of corporate counsel. However, once the bean counters and the lawyers have offered their advice on how to best proceed, the CEO’s thank them and tell them to leave the board room. Only then does the CEO turn to the BOD and say, “OK, we’ve heard from the bean counters and the legal eagles. Now, what are we really going to do?”

Last edited by B747VET; 08-07-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Bucco, congrats. I may have missed it somewhere in the 810+ posts but in picking up your car, are you paying for this----meaning, your insurance company? Or, is this all on GM's dime?

Thanks and I hope your car is perfect!
Old 08-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinmaniac
Well....I just joined the club.
Can you give us the last four of your VIN? There's an interest here to learn if the problem is limited to the ~2700 pre-shutdown cars. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 PM
LJT
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

Made a modification, see post #764.

Get notified of new replies

To Front hood popped open today

Old 08-10-2020, 12:48 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I pulled fuse 18 until GM comes out with a fix.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:42 PM
IdRatherBGolfing
Drifting

Received 930 Likes on 492 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2921 C8 of the Year 2021 Modified Finalist

Originally Posted by Shokosugi
I just pulled mine before a one day road trip to SoCal and back. I was having trouble getting the glove box out but it just requires some force. After the first step of removing the latched part on the right you have to squeeze the sides of the glove box inward before pulling the glove box down. That’s it. It’s the squeezing inward part that will cause hesitation because it feels like you will break it. Squeeze near the tabs that are on either side of the glove box and it makes it easier.
Originally Posted by RapidC84B
I pulled fuse 18 until GM comes out with a fix.
Did you follow @Shokosugi directions or did you find other directions with photos?
Old 08-10-2020, 01:54 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

There's a step by step on MECF.

Quick Reply: Front hood popped open today