Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 C8 Price Protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 11:46 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderson7
Wanted to see how other dealers are handling the price protection on the Corvettes. As I would imagine most who are getting their C8s now are price protected for the C8 increase that went into effect on June 13th. I picked mine up from my dealer on Friday and he stated that my order should qualify for the price protection from GM but the dealership needed to apply for it with GM and at delivery I needed to pay the new MSRP but once the price protection was approved by GM, they would reimburse me. I bought from my small, local dealer (I am their 23rd C8 customer to date) so would imagine they are handling different than the big guys (MM, Ciocca, etc). Wanted to see what everybody's experience was when they went to pick up their C8s and how their dealer handled the price protection. Thanks
You dealer is NOT handling this correctly. When the car is shipped, it will be invoiced at the higher price (and the window sticker will reflect the higher price). There seem to be 3 different ways that dealers handle price protection:
  1. The big dealers (and others) will discount the MSRP by the amount of the price increase on your car. This results in you paying whatever state tax at the lower price. The dealer then gets reimbursed by Chevy for the dealer cost portion of the price increase - not the full MSRP increase amount. This is how price protection is supposed to be handled.
  2. There seem to be quite a few dealers that charge you the higher price (and you get taxed on the higher price), and then refunds to you what Chevy reimburses to them. This will NOT be the full MSRP increase.
  3. Then there are far too many dealers that will charge the higher MSRP amount and give the buyer nothing.

Price protection only applies to SRE (Retail Sold) orders and never crosses model years.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:26 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by David.L
I get that, BUT, he didn't say that. He said Ciocca does not offer price protection which is wrong because they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8Corvette View Post
With the two biggest Corvette dealers, MacMulkin provided price protection whereas Ciocca did not. I know because I asked these dealers. So, even with the big boys, you will get differences in how this is handled. Same thing goes with whether or not Courtesy delivery is allowed.
Ciocca DOES provide price protection. I picked my 2023 HTC up on July 8th, 2022 and the original price was honored. They are doing this for all of their qualified buyers.
That's all true, but the big difference … and the difference that made a big difference to those of us on the MM waitlist before 6/14 … is that MM submitted enough orders in advance to cover their entire wait list, and not just orders with allocations which would have been protected anyway. So, in my case, I didn’t even get my order workbench preliminary order number until 7/27 but I will still be getting my car at the old price. That represents a $3,125 savings for me. I do not believe that any other dealer put in enough orders to cover their entire wait list. That is just incredible customer service.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:14 AM
crespi
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Same happened to me, picked up mine 2 weeks ago and had to pay new price and dealer said that "when GM sends them the money" they would return the difference. I'll certainly make them pay for the additional Sales and property tax that I had to pay. Told them I'll only respond to GM's survey after getting my check back with the correct $.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:11 AM
Missouri Vet
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by crespi
Same happened to me, picked up mine 2 weeks ago and had to pay new price and dealer said that "when GM sends them the money" they would return the difference. I'll certainly make them pay for the additional Sales and property tax that I had to pay. Told them I'll only respond to GM's survey after getting my check back with the correct $.
Good luck with getting your refund. My check was a little short and they wouldn't even make an excuse as to why I didn't get the full amount. I haven't received the GM survey and have had my C8 for 2 months.

I'm enjoying my new Stingray so much now that the negative dealer situation is fading away.

Congratulations on receiving your new C8 Stingray!
Old 08-18-2022, 10:18 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by crespi
You're only recourse is to shame them and call them out up front; don't expect a check in the rears after the fact. Simply explain to them how the process is nothing new from when GM has implemented price increases in the past, and any dealer who knows what they are doing and who submits the paperwork correctly will get reimbursed. GM doesn't stiff their dealers and if that were the case, the dealer wouldn't be able to stay in business. You can even offer to facilitate a phone call with GM to help walk them through the process. Shy of that, if they don't want to play they don't have to, and you don't have to buy the car from them. Isn't the middle-man great?!
Old 08-18-2022, 10:19 AM
caritch
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

I wonder if the check was short because they only sent you what gm sent them (invoice price difference and no tax).
Old 10-30-2022, 01:55 PM
Craig Calloway
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Price protection

Originally Posted by BigVette427
That's not how the process works. This is the same process GM has used in the past, and as long as the dealer knows what they are doing, GM will reimburse them. But to make you pay upfront and try and get a refund, is lame. My Dad got price protection on his C8 from a larger national dealer, they didn't bat an eye. This isn't just for Corvette, either. Any order that was 1100 before the cutoff day is eligible.
My dealer Les Stanford is making me pay The higher MSRP And says GM will reimburse me meaning I will have to pay the sales taxes on the higher MSRP just don't sound right to me
Old 10-30-2022, 02:17 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Calloway
My dealer Les Stanford is making me pay The higher MSRP And says GM will reimburse me meaning I will have to pay the sales taxes on the higher MSRP just don't sound right to me
You must have the wrong sales person who either doesn't know or likes to do things the hard way. Either way, talk to sales manager. My Dad and I each bought a C8 from Les Stanford this year and my Dad got price protection up front on his, no questions asked.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:20 PM
Craig Calloway
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BigVette427
You must have the wrong sales person who either doesn't know or likes to do things the hard way. Either way, talk to sales manager. My Dad and I each bought a C8 from Les Stanford this year and my Dad got price protection up front on his, no questions asked.
Thank you much Just don't seem right that I would have to pay more sales tax then need to be
Old 11-06-2022, 05:12 PM
Craig Calloway
Heel & Toe

Default Price

Originally Posted by Ben1953
I was in the same situation. Small town dealer, order accepted by GM in May, picked car up in July. I paid the original lower MSRP and the dealer submitted paperwork for the price protection. They never asked me to pay the difference.

Ben
My dealer Les Stanford Chevrolet is charging me the higher MSRP And tells me it will be possibly 3 to 6 weeks before I get reimbursed I tried telling them that's not how it's done but they insist that is how it's done And I am now 7 days from picking up my car after waiting 16 months
Old 11-06-2022, 05:17 PM
Craig Calloway
Heel & Toe

Default Price

Originally Posted by VetteND
It actually depends on whether it was placed as a sold order or a stock order. SRE sold orders will be automatically reimbursed however TRE stock orders that the dealership can prove sold before the price change have to submit proof of sale documents to get reimbursed.
Les Stamford Chevrolet Is charging me the higher MSRP and says I will not get the full reimbursement only 91% I found this out 10 days before picking up the car
And it was on a sold order
Old 11-06-2022, 09:55 PM
David.L
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Craig Calloway
My dealer Les Stanford Chevrolet is charging me the higher MSRP And tells me it will be possibly 3 to 6 weeks before I get reimbursed I tried telling them that's not how it's done but they insist that is how it's done And I am now 7 days from picking up my car after waiting 16 months
As others here have said, that's not how it is done. They are to get the rebate but you pay the MSRP as per your agreement with them.
The following users liked this post:
Craig Calloway (11-07-2022)

Quick Reply: 2023 C8 Price Protection