C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

Unable to make phone calls using android auto "oops something went wrong"

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 09:59 PM
Mr. Wizard
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Unable to make phone calls using android auto "oops something went wrong"

I have a new 2024 C8 Corvette Stingray. I use Android Auto. Waze and Music work great. When I go to make a phone call, it takes about 20 something seconds and then it says Oops, something went wrong" I have removed my phone and reconnected it via Bluetooth and it works for that drive. When I start the car up the next time I go somewhere, I am back to the same problem. The whole idea is for Android Auto to make the calls hands free. I am not finding an answer to this anywhere. This is extremely frustrating. Does anyone have an fix for this?
Old 05-26-2024, 12:23 PM
MKC8
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I have a new 2024 C8 Corvette Stingray. I use Android Auto. Waze and Music work great. When I go to make a phone call, it takes about 20 something seconds and then it says Oops, something went wrong" I have removed my phone and reconnected it via Bluetooth and it works for that drive. When I start the car up the next time I go somewhere, I am back to the same problem. The whole idea is for Android Auto to make the calls hands free. I am not finding an answer to this anywhere. This is extremely frustrating. Does anyone have an fix for this?
I had the same issue.
I think it's because the phone (mine, at least) screen locks after 10 minutes of inactivity, and the car can't "unlock it" to make the call.
I have a lot of personal stuff on my phone, and have it as secured/locked up as possible, as I tend to lose or break them. Regularly.
I'm not sure what the fix is, but I can live with the inconvenience.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:55 PM
Mr. Wizard
Intermediate

Thanks! You gave me a clue. I thought since Android Auto was working for Waze and Pandora, that my C8 was already a trusted device. I checked my settings (I have a Samsung Note 10) and it is not listed because I never listed it. I removed my old Corvette from it and got myChevrolet listed as a trusted device. Son of a gun, it now works! However, when I start driving and my screen locks itself again, I am back to having the same problem of not being able to use my voice to make calls. While driving I unlocked my screen and it works. So that's the problem. Now I have to figure out why my screen is not staying unlocked while I am in my car.
The following users liked this post:
SpectreOne (05-29-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 10:23 PM
MKC8
Racer

Thanks! You gave me a clue. I thought since Android Auto was working for Waze and Pandora, that my C8 was already a trusted device. I checked my settings (I have a Samsung Note 10) and it is not listed because I never listed it. I removed my old Corvette from it and got myChevrolet listed as a trusted device. Son of a gun, it now works! However, when I start driving and my screen locks itself again, I am back to having the same problem of not being able to use my voice to make calls. While driving I unlocked my screen and it works. So that's the problem. Now I have to figure out why my screen is not staying unlocked while I am in my car.
If you figure out how to keep the phone unlocked post it up. I have looked at everything and 10 minutes is the max before the phone screen locks. Mine is an ASUS ROG 6. I guess you could remove all security from if but that's not a great option considering how much info is on them these days. Older phones allowed a "never" screen lock interval but I don't think newer phones allow it.

Last edited by MKC8; 05-27-2024 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:50 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 517 Likes on 311 Posts
Default I have same issue trying to reply to text/sms

Using voice transcription.(Android assistant). Terrible design by google. They can't even tell you what that 'something' is.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:23 PM
Mr. Wizard
Intermediate

I contacted T-Mobile with whom switched me over to Samsung. They remoted into my phone and made some changes where when my phone screen blacks out after a minute, the phone stays unlocked for 30 minutes (not ideal). I went out on one short drive and called my wife. It worked. I need to make more trips to see if this helps or not. I will update this post when I have more information to pass on. The problem may mean I need to get a more up to date phone that has the extend lock feature which is supposed to give you 4 hours.
MKC8 (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 07:12 PM
MKC8
Racer

I contacted T-Mobile with whom switched me over to Samsung. They remoted into my phone and made some changes where when my phone screen blacks out after a minute, the phone stays unlocked for 30 minutes (not ideal). I went out on one short drive and called my wife. It worked. I need to make more trips to see if this helps or not. I will update this post when I have more information to pass on. The problem may mean I need to get a more up to date phone that has the extend lock feature which is supposed to give you 4 hours.
Thanks for the update. Still looking for an ASUS ROG solution.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:22 PM
MKC8
Racer

OK, I may have found a work around.
There's an Android app called "Caffeine" (keep screen on) on Google Play Store. It's free, no ads or in app purchases, so far.
Try installing it, and set it to be able to run in the background, and use battery unlimited.
These are Android system settings, not the app, you'll have to figure it out for your make/model of phone. (Samsung?)
I also turned on "Deactivate automatically" "Allow dimming" "Use title only" and "Exclude from recents" in the Caffeine app settings.
Make sure the "Timeout" option in the app settings is set to "Infinite".
Once you get it installed, and set it up, long press and release the app icon, on whatever screen it shows up on after installation.
You'll see a "Toggle" sub item appear.
Tap "Toggle" then hit the back button <! at bottom left of your phone screen.
A notification "dot" should now appear on the app icon. If I've figured out how this works, this means it's going to keep your screen on until you "Toggle" it off.
Try it and see if your screen goes to sleep and locks. It didn't on my ASUS ROG phone. Stayed on until I turned it off.
To turn it off, I had to manually long press and release the Caffeine app icon again, and tap "Toggle" to clear the notification dot on the app icon, and allow the screen to sleep/lock normally.
CAVEAT: Leaving your phone screen (OLED type) on for a long time may cause "screen image burn" so don't leave it on forever, or you could damage the phone. This is why modern OLED screen phones don't have a long screen on time by default.
This may (temporarily) solve the Android Auto/Google Assistant "making a phone with the vehicle's Infotainment screen" call issue.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:57 PM
Mr. Wizard
Intermediate

Here is what I had to do to finally be able to use Android Auto voice calling on my 2024 C8 with the button on the steering wheel (long press) and voice to make finally phone calls.

My son came into town. He has a Samsung Galaxy S23 phone. We connected his phone to my C8 and it worked right off the bat. So I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S24 and after f*cking around with it and the phone for half a day it works!

So I get a new car, have to get a new phone and wouldn't you know it my Samsung Galaxy s3 Frontier watch is not compatible with the new phone. I want to scream!!!!!! I just ordered the watch.
MKC8 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 07:55 PM
MKC8
Racer

I always say, "whatever works must be the right answer".

Get notified of new replies

To Unable to make phone calls using android auto "oops something went wrong"

Quick Reply: Unable to make phone calls using android auto "oops something went wrong"